Welcome to Gaia! ::

Good Idea?

Yes 0.79166666666667 79.2% [ 19 ]
No 0.20833333333333 20.8% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 24 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Hey Gaian's you might want to read beyond this, we moved away from just this idea!! We're in the planning stages, join in if you want to.

Dear Gaians,

The other night I posted a little rant about non-lit players claiming to be literate. The general response was an argument over the term Literate or literacy. I understand what the term mean and I also know that it is a word that is being poorly used as a label for marking the standards of the Advanced Role Play Community.

I would also like to take a moment to make note to anyone reading this.

Personally I have nothing against players that choose to RP in threads that are considered to be at the standard level of a Beginner. Using symbols such as the star *, slashes // or squiggly mark ~ and/or making one line posts. It is all fine by me I personally have a partner that has done that kind of role play style with me for years.

I also consider myself an Advanced Intermediate player. Meaning I am not an advanced player but I have higher standards, I generally post 3-4 plus paragraphs in my role plays. I know post length isn’t everything but most people tend to rank you by your post length and personally I do not find it difficult to write 3-4 plus paragraphs every post.

But this isn’t about bashing the beginner players or the advanced players this about the term Lit or Literate. I realized how in general it’s a poor term to use to describe an advanced player verses a beginner player for we are all literate. Each of us understand the English language, we can read and write English can’t we? We wouldn’t be here if we couldn’t. While listening to the argument of a player named Our Fidelity this point was brought up and I couldn’t argue against her because it is true.

So I began to wonder what terms should be used to label the beginner players verses the advanced players. To begin with there has to be a mutual understanding towards the standards each level has towards post length and quality. People have to get it out of their head that not everyone is an advanced player and that you just might be a beginner or intermediate player according to standards.

People also have to begin to respect each other, advanced players should stop going around bashing the beginners or less advanced players (I know I’m guilty of this myself) and the beginner players should stop claiming to be advanced just to gain popularity in there role play (This is why advanced players tend to bash).

Then we as Gaians have to create a grading system for placing each player into the right category. For example:

Beginner Players:

[Level 1 = Beginner] [Level 2 = Intermediate Beginner] [Level 3 = Advanced Beginner]

Intermediate players:

[Level 10 = Beginner Intermediate] [Level 20 = intermediate] [Level 30 = Advanced Intermediate]

Advanced Players:

[Level 100 = beginner Advanced] [Level 200 = Intermediate Advanced] [Level 300 = Advanced] [Level 400 = Elite Advanced]

This is just an idea on how to categorize everyone. From this point everyone needs to discuss what the standards for each level should be and this is what this thread is for. Not to bash players for there skill level or yell at beginner players for attempting popularity by claiming an advanced title.

No this is for planning a new wave in the role play community so that we can stop fighting and maybe get some order going. We all are at different levels and have different standards so lets get ourselves out there and maybe with a better way to categorize each player, we can finally have proper advanced threads or beginner threads.

What do Gaian’s think?

Yours truly,
Sabastain Catalyst

P.S: I hope I offended no one this time, if you are offended by anything I have said please let me know.
heart heart heart
Does anyone have anything to say towards this? You so get a better reaction when you bash players

*laughs*

Sorry no bashing here. Just talking about creating a new Category Idea for Players.

I'm not sure its a good choice to use the term elite, however - one person will tell a player they are elite, and they will turn around and try and hold all of us up to THEIR imagined standards of elite.

To be honest, I don't know what the hell is wrong with saying 'Advanced', and clarifying INSIDE a thread what it is you want to see... But then again, I guess that's too much work to expect people to go to...

razz

Its a nice thought ... but I don't see it happening hun, sorry.

Good luck bump, however!
*^_^*

~ELze
Yes I totally know what you mean, but still people are very hung up on the idea thought I’d attempt something!! (Even I am)

About the Elite there are people that write at that level, those players basically write a short story every post and they too deserve a level. not just 4 paragraphs but pages worth of post.

And about it not work, people first have to accept there ability and where they rank. Then just go with the flow so your an intermediate Beginner, you can get better. No one said you can’t try joining into a high level RP, just be able to keep up to that level. That’s what I mean.

It’s only an idea though, thought I’d toss it out there into the hordes.

4laugh 4laugh 4laugh

1,600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
Yes well it may very well cause the hordes to attack you... Damn hordes...
I like this order of ranks - quite precise.
It should be a standard, in my opinion.

As for me - I am an advanced intermediate.
Have I ever told you, you are my idol, I've been thinking about something similar for like ever now.

((don't worry, you can stopped being creeped out it will only last like ten minutes.))

I do agree that people and classifications are screwed, Like calling someone illiterate because they only type one sentence a post even though their grammar is perfectly fine. I myself have probably done this over a dozen times.

New classifications would be really helpful, but setting standards to each one is slightly difficult, every person on Gaia will give you a different explanation for what this and that should be. Whether it be the number of sentences, or their grammar and spelling.

I don't think giving new tittles will help with the whole respect –finger twitch- situation though, for one thing. No matter what the labels are, there are going to be those who long to be or say they are at a higher level of writing then what they really are, and those who will hate them for it.

Then again, I tend to ramble about a bunch of pointless nothingness, Even so people have been programmed to do this and that from birth so getting them to follow various classifications can't be to hard. Hmph, Labels are horrible things. ^^.
I like your idea. Certainly, it is true that we lack much in terms of definition of all these skill levels. It is very curteous of you to respect the feelings of others as your notes suggest.

But I have to agree with Ezeothis. It'll be hard to make your idea stick. One of the reasons why is the words you are using at each level, because each of them carries a connotation that could be taken a different way by different people.

For example, when I read your introduction, I imagined "semi-literate" when you mentioned using asterisks and improper grammar. That term is fairly degrading, is it not? To consider someone "half" good, as the term has come to describe?

But then, how is calling someone a "beginner" any different? Especially when the rolaplayers at this level may have roleplayed for years? When you take into account the different initial and developing skills of roleplayers, these terms may not make so much sense.

And when roleplayers have hit three-to-four years of activity, they might consider themselves elite, simply from experience. But experience does not always dictate what one has learned. It's a little unfair to assume as much.

I propose that if we are so desperate to categorize roleplayers in order to facilitate our writing (though as the lovely Defective Box has mentioned, this shouldn't be necessary), then we have remove the connotations that have us striving for a certain level and abhoring those at different ones.

Why not just have levels one, two, three and so on? Sounds a lot less discriminatory, and that way people will have to search for an objective definition, as opposed to just making up their own, according to their opinions of the words elite, beginner, etc.

If we have to have categories, then we will always have problems. But, the more formal and objective we make those categories, the less roleplayers are prone to take offense, at least in my opinion. What do you think?
Thank you to all three of you and es it'll be hard. It was just an idea, thought I'd toss it out there like i said.

I just don't like Literate, or Semi-lit. The levels just make things clearer.

Since there are only two major catagories [Literate / lit] [Semi-Literate / Semi-lit] nothing for the beginners or intermediate players and just to let everyone know we are all literate that's why we RP.

Anyways!! Don't know what'll come of this but hey it's an attempt, I'm going to start to try and set things up!! Make things very clear.

It's about Quality over quantity.

Plus Styles!! Some are more advanced styles and require a better knowlage of the writen language than others. That's why it should be done.

Like the Elite Advanced Players they write pages upon pages per post, that i consider an Elite player. But hey still have lots of things to work out, that's why i want some imput on things.

Sorry for the poor spelling above!!
Professor Ludio
I like your idea. Certainly, it is true that we lack much in terms of definition of all these skill levels. It is very curteous of you to respect the feelings of others as your notes suggest.

But I have to agree with Ezeothis. It'll be hard to make your idea stick. One of the reasons why is the words you are using at each level, because each of them carries a connotation that could be taken a different way by different people.

For example, when I read your introduction, I imagined "semi-literate" when you mentioned using asterisks and improper grammar. That term is fairly degrading, is it not? To consider someone "half" good, as the term has come to describe?

But then, how is calling someone a "beginner" any different? Especially when the rolaplayers at this level may have roleplayed for years? When you take into account the different initial and developing skills of roleplayers, these terms may not make so much sense.

And when roleplayers have hit three-to-four years of activity, they might consider themselves elite, simply from experience. But experience does not always dictate what one has learned. It's a little unfair to assume as much.

I propose that if we are so desperate to categorize roleplayers in order to facilitate our writing (though as the lovely Defective Box has mentioned, this shouldn't be necessary), then we have remove the connotations that have us striving for a certain level and abhoring those at different ones.

Why not just have levels one, two, three and four? Sounds a lot less discriminatory, and that way people will have to search for an objective definition, as opposed to just making up their own, according to their opinions of the words elite, beginner, etc.

If we have to have categories, then we will always have problems. But, the more formal and objective we make those categories, the less roleplayers are prone to take offense, at least in my opinion. What do you think?

That’s the argument and I understand.

It's just always going to be a fight over weather I write better than the next person.

Maybe we should be ranked by style of the RP we're doing, not our post length.

Again this is a thread to figure this out!!

Idea's people Ideas!!

I'm leaning on the style, not the Literacy factor. I really want to shy away from that word being used.

So now people have to learn the kind of RP there doing and learn Role Play Terms.

Example: Quest Role Plays, does everyone know what that means?

I don’t know how many players do know, I personally do and that’s what I mean. How can players role play when they don’t even know the terms and definitions that go with the territory?

And no matter how many tutorials on Rping there are, only those skilled in the RP game read them and most already know that information. The newbie’s are the ones that should take a look at them but they never do. It's kind of a problem really.

Total topic change from the labels to lack of knowledge sorry!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff