Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Streaker

Well guys, i asked Oracle to hand me whatever he had finished of the RP's storyline, so Cosplay and wichever mod takes over can work out the rest. In any case, while i suck as a main mod, i think i could at least help with that. Since all posts in the Profiles were Oracle's, we'll need to re-post the topic. You all ok if i do that?
Oracle is gone which sucks, he seemed to have talent. In any case, I'll put my abilities out there in case the mods want some help; I know what I'm doing when it comes to running an RP. Let me know what I can do to help.
To help things along, I'll post the RP history here and at the top of the profile thread. Anyone who wants it can copy it and put it elsewhere. I feel proud that I somehow managed to make an alliance between the New Empire of Japan and the People's Republic of China semi-plausible.

Our story begins in the year 2024. Economic tensions are high as the standard of living drops across the world.

2025: India and Pakistan declare war on each other. After six months Iran joins in from the other side. A series of disrupted communications results in a nuclear exchange between the three countries, irradiating much of the region. Shortly thereafter, much of the Middle East erupts into armed conflict.

2026: UN troops move in to stabilize the region, followed by practically every country on the planet. The ozone layer dissolves across multiple continents, making it dangerous to e go outside for extended periods. Soot from the bombed cities is kicked up into the atmosphere, reducing global temperatures by six degrees Celsius. Worldwide famines, crop failures, and food shortages occur.

2028: “World War III” comes to an end. Millions of refugees flood into China from the irradiated nations. The UN declares nuclear disarmament mandatory. Political pressure from citizens forces most democratic nations to agree and the threat of every nation on the planet retaliating convinces the others. Though some stockpiles remain in secret, they are extraordinarily heavily guarded and are above top secret.

2031: Isolationism is the world of the day. The UN has largely fallen apart due to lack of consensus on where to focus relief efforts. The USA and China have broken off diplomatic relations after grandiose demands by both countries. Quebec secedes from Canada after environmental conditions become intolerable. Russia washes its hands of the European Union for similar reasons and begins secret talks with China.

2032: Quebecois Unificationists seize control of the Canadian government and rename it the People’s Republic of Quebecois Provinces. Diplomatic talks begin between the PRQP as the USA.

2034: Japan’s government collapses with help from Chinese insurgents. The New Japanese Empire and The People’s Republic of China join forces to form the Sino-Imperial Alliance and begin cleanup procedures in what remains of India, Pakistan, and Iran. The SI’s joint secret weapons department, LASSAC (Land, Air, Sea, Space Armored Cavalry) begins Project Red Comet.

2036: The SI shocks the world as Humanoid Weapons Platforms supported by Indian and Pakistani conscripts stream into Southeast Asia. Despite protests from the USA, the PRQP, and the EU, the HWPs show no signs of stopping. Drawing on the resources of half of Asia, the SI promises long-sought economic relief and technology to those who join them, offering invasion as the alternative.

2037: Much of the Middle East has been invaded by SI troops. Israel has refused to capitulate.

2038: The PRQP convenes NATO for the first time in decades, revealing that is has acquired working HWPs. It distributes two wings of them to Israel to defend against SI attacks and convinces the EU to adopt the technology.

2042: SI troops stream into Eastern Europe, though Israel and Egypt still hold firm.

2044: Fighting is fierce throughout Europe as whole countries dissolve into chaos. The SI is repelled on the French-Belgian border by a combined force of NATO HWPs. A fleet of submarine HWP carriers attacks Scotland in a massive surprise attack, fights its way south, and captures London. The Pacific Theater opens up as the USA, PRQR, and much of South America launch attacks against the SI. Retaliation is swift as more submarine strikes occur against Hawaii, California, Alaska, British Columbia, Peru, Chile, and Colombia. Russia secretly provides intelligence to the SI while supposedly remaining neutral.

2045: The counterattack against SI occupied London begins, resulting in a major British victory as the SI is driven back to Scotland. The USA sends aid in the form of Task Force 20, a major chunk of its sea fleet.
I had not set up much in advance plot-wise. Plenty of players had mentioned organizations in their profiles that would make for interesting plot twists and I didn't want to interfere with that. However, I did come up with a method of organizing combat, time, and the current setting.

It would take far to long to fight across every battlefield, so I came up with a list of particularly important areas called "Combat Zones" that the players progress through. Each zone represents a tipping point, an opportunity for one side to change things in their favor. Each would have its own map, complete with important cities, bases, and possible mission targets and objectives held by both sides. All players should be in the same Zone at the same time. If they’re a little ways off the map that should be fine, but we ideally want everyone in close contact with everyone else.

These Zones are sorted into “Theaters of War.” Three are “Contested,” two are “Home.” Each Theater would have two or three Combat Zones in it that would be fought over one at a time. If one side won a majority of the Zones in a Contested Theater they would win it and we’d switch to then next Contested one. Once one side won a majority of the Theaters, we would move to the losing faction’s Home Theater for the final series of battles. Whichever way the final Theater fight went, the war ends. However, if the defending side wins in their Home Theater, the war ends in a truce with terms being discussed as opposed to an unconditional surrender.

Here are some possible theaters with associated Zones:

Contested Theaters:

Quote:
European: France, Germany, Western Russia,
Middle Eastern: Israel-Egypt Defense Line, Iraq, Irradiated Zone (Parts of Iran and Pakistan)
Pacific: Hawaii, Oceania, Phillipines

Home Theaters:

North American: California, Quebec, Eastern United States,
East Asian: India, Eastern China, Japan

Players gain control of these Zones by fighting "Battles" and "Missions."

Battles are used take over the Combat Zone, usually center around a base or city, and should include as many players from both sides as possible. So far, we have had two Battles, one for control of London that kicked off the game and the current one which is for control of the sea. Because these progress the plot, there should not be more than one going on at a time, and there should be enough time in between them for people to repair and rest up, have a little character interaction, and run Missions. Battles should not begin without mod approval and an OOC announcement. Once one side wins enough Battles, they take over the Combat Zone and the RP moves to the next one.

Missions grant specific advantages within the Combat Zone. They include attacking supply depots, spying behind enemy lines, attacks on NPC installations like hangars or shipyards, and a variety of other things. They can also be a good way to try out one on one duels if two characters encounter each other while on patrol. There can and should be lots of these going on at once, and they are not meant to have more than a few players from each side involved at one time. Remember, if it's important enough for lots and lots of elite, officer, or prototype mechs (players) to be there, it's a Battle and not a one-off Mission.

Desirable Sex Symbol

Yeah im going to be quitting as well my characters can idk die or something idc Mizu can drown cause of losing all remaining power and since Char never did anything he can just never have existed. Have fun with the rp
Oh dear. It wasn't my intent to spark a mass exodus. Sorry!

Invisible Entrepreneur

Joined and posted; I hope this one wont die since the mod left. I see this happen a lot in Gaia RPs; it is sad really. I have been in RPs that have lasted for years in gaming groups but they occasionally switch GMs since either mods/GMs lose interest or members want someone else running it. Anyway hopefully enough people will still be around for there to be an effective game biggrin

6,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
I must say, wow, a sudden influx of prototypes... It's not a bad thing mind you. Yay for originality but .... -.- I'm behind on the power curve. Everyone wants that 'big, tough, cool looking' new toy (aka prototype) and my mechs are all "meh, they're original but obviously not the strongest and no mention of being new. Just updated and such"

Invisible Entrepreneur

Mine if more of a recon unit; its not exactly all that well equipped except for being nearly undetectable. Someone should reply

6,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
I'll get a post in eventually =.= Just need to kick myself in the rear to get going. /lazy
xXScattercloakXx
I must say, wow, a sudden influx of prototypes... It's not a bad thing mind you. Yay for originality but .... -.- I'm behind on the power curve. Everyone wants that 'big, tough, cool looking' new toy (aka prototype) and my mechs are all "meh, they're original but obviously not the strongest and no mention of being new. Just updated and such"
I agree. We have need for an equalizer, or will before long. Otherwise we need other aspects to exploit in order to give the less combat oriented of us to focus on.

Dangerous Streaker

I do belive many "prototypes" don't really mean "All-powerfull-god-demon-machines". BUt most people belive them as such... Oh well. In any case, i do blive the proto's weakness is their "Proto" part. They are unsafe, untested, and prone to blow up on their user's faces if not handled well. That and their crippling overspecialization can sometimes make it downright nightmarish to modify, repair or upgrade.
I disagree insomuch that any label (prototype or otherwise) might give the player the illusion that they are more special than other players, while at the same time only providing the off-chance that something might go wrong with their s**t. One of two things always happen with things like this.

1: the player abuses their assumed specialty because of whatever label they decided to put on their s**t. He then defends his power abuses with hollow arguments like "well this COULD happen", or else, "it can be beaten, even though no one ever has" or similar.

2: the Story-teller is forced to spend time reigning in characters who are too amused with their own god-modding rather than spending it telling the story. Then, assuming the player even listens to the story-teller, he bitches and moans about how he's being singled out.

Personally the only flaw that a person can use as an excuse to give themselves a mechanical bonus, is a flaw that produces an inherent and equally measurable weakness. At the risk of ringing my own bell I want to use my Mech's ability as an example. His Variable Wings can either let him focus on attack or maneuvering, but never both at the same time. He can do one, or the other, never both, and that's all. Except for the transforming into a wolf, and that's mainly cosmetic.

6,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
Good to know someone else follows that integrity. Not everyone does sadly. Especially younger RPers. >_< I've been victim to those who don't follow through with checks and balances and it's quite annoying really. I, myself, have done a bit of godmodding when I first started RPing but I learned quickly not to do it.

Anyways, I'm going to try rustling up a post this morning before my parents drag me to church.

Has anything with the temporary mod(s) been settled out yet? I've got open hands to help with tasks.
I'm still getting profiles sent to me. I've looked over this last one and am posting it to the current profile thread. If someone could volunteer for profile review, I'd really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff