Welcome to Gaia! ::

Boltohn

My current work may be a lot more hands on but you have to take what you can get. Considering where I'm trying to work recieves over a thousand aplications for even the lineman role it is no shock to me that I'm stuck where I am. Personally I enjoy it though. Knees deep in mechanical guts feels more satisfying to me than draftwork. While I enjoyed the maths and am pretty good at it, building an offroad vehicle by hand was more fun.

Enduring Loiterer

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
VearGreyloc
Boltohn

My current work may be a lot more hands on but you have to take what you can get. Considering where I'm trying to work recieves over a thousand aplications for even the lineman role it is no shock to me that I'm stuck where I am. Personally I enjoy it though. Knees deep in mechanical guts feels more satisfying to me than draftwork. While I enjoyed the maths and am pretty good at it, building an offroad vehicle by hand was more fun.

Oh I'm sure it is, I personally would prefer to be able to do hands on all day. I'm just stating that the difference between engineering and hands on work, which I felt was being used incorrectly as a way to justify a moot point in the previous debate.

Personally I'm a drafting until I finish getting my Engineering degree, but I'm lucky to have a drafting job before even becoming a full fledged engineer because most engineers start as draftsman for engineering firms anyhow.

Interestingly enough the certifications/schooling required to be a draftsman are very close to that of architects.

Enduring Loiterer

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Phoenix347
Boltohn
With all that said, my points still stand that the Gundams are not engineering or realistically possible, especially in a rp based on a anime where they build models and they come to life. So just build what you want, dont worrry about the fine details in this because they really just dont matter.
If you mean realistically possible as in power terms, we;re a long way from that. Structurally they could work in space but probably not land, and thankfully they have enlarged legs to support the large load. (gundam enthusiast talkin there))

In terms of RP though, ya yajime/plavisky particles are a plot device allowing for the models to work no matter what! Especially when things like I-field generators can be added ((The Absalus III vs. Gundam X Maoh & Build Strike Gundam battle))
My Rp will have to be a bit restrictive so we don't have people using NT-D tech on a 00 QanT taking everyone's funnels/bits and using the quantum system to prevent people from attacking stare

Well it's more along the lines that the material needed to make it sturdy would also be so heavy that it would cause most mech to cave in on itself, let alone be able to move, and nowhere close to that of an actual mobile suit.

Also Mobile suits run on Nuclear generators, and their propulsions systems are always lightly touched on, but we assume its based on propellant. 90% of our modern day rockets are completely fuel, and thats just to break the atmosphere, a mobile suit being able to fly and even do any of those movements being as heavy as they are just isn't possible.

The list goes on and on, like not even a remotely solid idea for warfare, it's just a huge target.

Anyhow yeah, it would make sense to limit any super power mechs and god mode/puppeting mechanics but thats just basic conduct for rp anyhow.

Angelic Scrounger

5,875 Points
  • Skill Up 50
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Waffles! 25
Boltohn
The list goes on and on, like not even a remotely solid idea for warfare, it's just a huge target.
Well there's also fear-factor to incorporate. Going back to the first tank, it was a major psycological tool, but the tanks broke down constantly on the battlefield. So while they were a big mechanical issue, they were still a major tool. Now a huge human-shaped machine walking across the battlefield would be even worse.

Of course, it was one of the first anime to make the real-robot genre believable, so not everything in it was perfected.

Enduring Loiterer

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Phoenix347
Boltohn
Well there's also fear-factor to incorporate. Going back to the first tank, it was a major psycological tool, but the tanks broke down constantly on the battlefield. So while they were a big mechanical issue, they were still a major tool. Now a huge human-shaped machine walking across the battlefield would be even worse.

Of course, it was one of the first anime to make the real-robot genre believable, so not everything in it was perfected.

With stealth fighter jets, geo spatial orbit packages, and naval cutters with rail guns, I highly doubt a few human tanks will be very effective in modern combat.

Not to mention most modern tanks can fire up to 5 miles away, and ground infantry carry anti-armor ordinance that can take out even modern tanks.

Just doesn't fit into the realistic warfare.
The only 'mech' types that I've seen that I'd call even remotely feasible are Votoms, and only barely.

Angelic Scrounger

5,875 Points
  • Skill Up 50
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Waffles! 25
VearGreyloc
The only 'mech' types that I've seen that I'd call even remotely feasible are Votoms, and only barely.
Then again, you do need to remember that technology doesn't stop advancing. Hell, the head of the patent offices resigned in like 1860's or something because 'Everything that could be invented already has been'. We also thought it was impossible to reach the moon until we finally started launching rockets. Mechs like gundams may not be feasible, battlefield-realistic or even close to becoming a reality but you never know with the current advances in robotics. powered exo-skeletons are being looked into greatly right now by the military btw.
Phoenix347
VearGreyloc
Then again, you do need to remember that technology doesn't stop advancing. Hell, the head of the patent offices resigned in like 1860's or something because 'Everything that could be invented already has been'. We also thought it was impossible to reach the moon until we finally started launching rockets. Mechs like gundams may not be feasible, battlefield-realistic or even close to becoming a reality but you never know with the current advances in robotics. powered exo-skeletons are being looked into greatly right now by the military btw.

Exactly, but compared to a movile suit, a Votom's better in close combat, and cheaper. I'd say that with modern combat philosophies, a Votom would probably be looked at as 'better'. Of course that's not counting for the massive tech differences. I 'd say we are more generally advanced than the Votoms setting, but with different aspects and applications. Comparably any Gundam timeline is ahead of us.

Enduring Loiterer

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Phoenix347
VearGreyloc

Exoskelleton design and full on robotic mech armor are two very different applications. With the exoskeleton you're looking to lighten the load for a single soldier. Giant mechs generally are designed with the idea of becoming catalysts of destruction and mayhem.

I see an exosuit like CoD advanced warfare before a gundam. or even walker tanks, like thos in ghost recon before human mechs ever would prove useful.

And I say this while completely loving mechs, it's one of the main reasons I got into engineering is because I love mechs, but real life is a whole lot more difficult and practical than anime genres.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff