Welcome to Gaia! ::

/whips out the abacus

+1 I'm Interested! 0.64285714285714 64.3% [ 18 ]
+0 Maybe, just looking. Loitering. 0.35714285714286 35.7% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 28 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30 31 32 > >>

Aged Streaker

PhantomHoofbeats

I guess I should quote you for these things.

Well, that's a good starting point, though getting everyone's characters in the same place is also fairly important. At least, at first? Depending on how you want things to go, I suppose. But anyway, the hunt for the little prince could easily be enough, if you have some intervention from the other factions / villainous NPCs and whatnot.

The Otherfolk are an interesting addition, either way, and you've done a lot of good work with the Pantheon, so leaving that all out would be a terrible waste. Maybe there's an Otherfolk (NPC maybe?) that joins the little ragtag gang, but is an agent for the Aspect of Chaos? Trying to get the group to sow the seeds of anarchy or revolt, what have you?

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

The Azure Knight
        yay (~ ̄▽ ̄)~
        Yeah. I had started with one idea (the more true-to-life one) for the Witch then decided to flip it on its head, confuse some of its attributes, and glorify the position a bit. So basically make them more liiike... a holy person? A bridge between the Realms? Well, at least visually and by ability to converse with the divine, be their advocate. Stuff like that. Since I also wanted to make it clearly distinct from the 'similar' Wild Mage.

That would be fun! I am working on the creation story at the moment and have a ton of nonsense thrown down. My sister was going to look it over and give her opinion but she's a lazy bum (love her). So I am going to tackle that again and do more research. Most of it came from other culture's creation myths and my interpretations of them mushed together. Just need to take out the stupid stuff, add good stuff, and make it flow together... if you want to see the poo it is now... xD

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

The Iron Youth
        that could help emotion_awesome

Yep. Have at least everyone together who is actually here and those who join at a later time have their characters be found/appear/whatever when they come in. So we don't have to wait for all of them to fill before we start. Just the super important ones (like the leader).

Yes, that's true. I was trying to think of things that could happen once, eventually, he is found besides protecting him from their enemies. Give them a grander purpose than just being bodyguards/babysitters. Hence the secondary plot.

Thank you. ‾▿‾

LOVE
        that idea, yes. like.
        Either a NPC or secondary character, yeah. Probably not a Primary character. Statai has some growing interest in this rag-tag group. His ultimate plan is to probably get back at what happened to him (whiiich I need to put down because I am still hoarding my god lore stuff. hehe.)

Aged Streaker

PhantomHoofbeats

Well, there's always the option of having the prince develop mage powers? Or is there not, I don't know. The betrayal of the group by one of the members, perhaps? The death of one of the members or uhm. The entire city catching fire?

Do you have a map? Do you want a map, do you need a map? Here is a map generator. It also has a plain world generator, in case you don't want the elevation / terrain type, those sorts of things.

edit: WHY WERE THERE SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS POST???

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

hnnnn
        this is why I write the sample and have other people do it too.
        so I realize I'm stupid urk

soo I did some editing on the positions but just a little. if I have something else that needs some fixing or doesn't make sense, please let me know...

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

The Iron Youth
        KJBFKJAWRFAWnkjwnfakjfnDKJWNKFC
        MAP
        I. FORGOT. THE MAP.
        thank you.

/coughs

I will definitely give that a look. thank you!

so! I was thinking the prince would probably have powers like the rest of the humans... they will be more likely to trust him if he uses magic like theirs not not... weird magic like the mages in our little group x) (unless he is somehow special like our mages)
        (oh yeah. I forgot that too. need to develop 'human magic'. uuuh was along the lines of using for-the-lack-of-a-better-term 'god crystals'. Humans can activate them and use them but these (our) mages cannot activate them and/or are repelled by them. to develop further in the "regular humans" minds that these are forsaken by the gods or simply hated by them.)

Distinct Pumpkin

1,550 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Timid 100
PhantomHoofbeats

I was going to mention the resemblance of the witch and the wild mage to the real life counterparts of witchcraft. An idea to differentiate them could be to better portray witchcraft and some of their approaches to magic.
For example, the Threefold Law of magic entails that whatever magic is cast it shall eventually return to its caster threefold. So instead of just a single 'payment', it is triple the 'payment' required.
This law is usually in conjunction with the Wiccan's Rede: An ye harm none, do what thou will; so long as your magic causes no harm, then you are free to do as you will.

These are just ideas I'm throwing out that might make magic more interesting, if not thought provoking. They might not translate to a game too well. Even so they can make good plot devices for the witch as a character, so if not translated to game it can translate to character.

Edit: your mention of god crystals kind of reminds me of Witches tools, like wands and athames ( and even crystals, I have a big collection myself X3 )

Aged Streaker

PhantomHoofbeats

Oh s**t I totally forgot that humans that can't use magic are weird. Butyeahanyway.

Maybe it has something to do with the magic-less leader? Maybe there is something weird about them that has to do with Statai?

Also, that map generator can be a bit busy, but if it brings you to a waiting screen, it automatically checks the servers until it can create the map, and they're all saveable if you right click. And if you can't get it to work, I might be able to get a few done and then you can pick?

WELL anyway I have to run off to bed, but I'll be around tomorrow.

Edit: What is going to be required for character pictures, by the way? Real life? Art?

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

The Azure Knight
        The title "witch" may or may not have been a poor choice in name though I had thought it best over the usual "cleric" or the like considering it is a tiny bit different than the basic cleric idea. I didn't want any of them to really be anything true to life (the alchemist is closer but since Alchemy was a failed science and is now a magical thing here, I left it as is) to separate it from preconceived notions. o. o (if that is the best way to put it...) Since this is a different world all together and not bound by the same laws. I thought "witch" then, was the most appropriate title for this particular sort of Bridge, the god advocate who cannot really cast spells but instead is, well, an advocate. Both a powerful and unreliable sort of thing. So they also have the ability to converse with the gods (if they choose to respond) and have the ability to see through the Realms (layers). (maybe also not just with the gods but those of the other realms as well). The Wild Mage is most closely associated with witchcraft though is also distinct from it. So neither are actually witchcraft but, hm, ...magery? x) The elementals are responsible for the "running" of the world, you can say, so they will only help if things are not tampered with and if things do not return to normal, the Wild Mage makes that equivalency by being removed from the equation so to say. So that is pretty similar to the idea that as long as you do no harm you can do as you wish mentality. yes.

yeah, I had thought of it after watching a show where people did not have electricity but powered their lives through these naturally occurring crystals that they found held vast amounts of power. Humans were the only ones who could activate them and those who couldn't activate them were... well, odd. Pretty much useless and handicapped without the ability to activate them. Though it also reminded me of a sort of a keystone but it isn't so much the human pouring the energy in then using it later. That would be more of a mage thing like for the Wild Mage, Alchemist, and Summoner who want to save up that energy to use for later. So I guess not so much the keystone, never mind xD

sorry if the name was a misnomer. x___x I tried to be clear on the basics of each in the descriptions when I spent those days working on them. Take an idea, make it my own, new. urk
        /bangshead
        I'm a bit stupid as is...

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

Finally finished this! I am putting this here first for you guys to take a look at. The sample is from an old roleplay when I played a Wild Mage a bit fixed up. Phew. Hopefully it helps!

read the example here before copy/pasting the code!

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ᴘᴏsɪᴛɪᴏɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ
            User Image
                            Character Description from [ Position ]

sᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜs: Copy paste information
                            ᴡᴇᴀᴋɴᴇssᴇs: Copy paste information
                            ᴜsᴀɢᴇ: Copy paste information

your username here :: reserved
                            Okay, what goes right here is very important. It can be any length at all but at least a paragraph so knock yourself out. Whatever you think will be long enough to do what is asked for. Since I mentioned this briefly in the rules, I won't go over it all again. This is going to be your sample and proof you know exactly what your character is. Remember, I am here to help you with this one so come and ask me questions. What you send here isn't set in stone so you can always fix it if I give you pointers/ideas/etc. Have fun fleshing out and interpreting what this magic means but be sure to remain within the boundaries of strengths and weaknesses. Those are definitely there for a reason.

So what exactly goes here? You are going to be writing as your character as you would be in the roleplay. But not just anything, I want you to have your character using their magic in your sample here. Show me how they use their magic by how you interrupt what I had written about it. You can use anything, within reason, to express what is going on. From their history with their power to the consequences of using this power of theirs. It doesn't have to be anything huge. It could be one paragraph! It is also to help you get a feel for your character.

Example:
                            The beat of his heart was no longer steady, his skin burning as hot as coals. As her hand brushed over his clammy forehead, his eyes rolled restlessly behind his lids, breath rough and unsteady through parted lips. The fever was growing steadily higher and nothing she nor the physicians could do would stop it. He was not the first, he was the second. In his attempt to aid his brother-at-arms he now burned with fever. If only it was not so. Her jaw clenched and she lifted a cold rag to press it to his forehead. There was nothing else she could do to stop the fever. The magic wasn't responding to her either, not for this. Her suspicions had spiked with the fever symptom. His majesty had to know.

"Lady Wildmage!" Laen turned sharply, head snapping up in the direction of the voice who called her. After that, no more words were needed in explanation.

"Keep him cool," she ordered. "If he can still swallow, he needs to be hydrated. Put ground inetane Root in in the water." The woman nodded and turned away to do as she was told. Thus, the wildmage moved across the floor to the other side of the room, a place quarantined from the rest of the room. She brushed the fabric aside and slipped inside, grabbing a mask to cover her face like the rest of them. "Lyerilpol will need to be quarantined as well. The symptoms match. He may no longer be contagious, either of them, but I do not want to risk it." She slid to the side of the bed, one of the physicians leaving to ensure her words were taken care to. Her lips pulled into a frown beneath the mask, her brow tightening. The discoloring in his skin had begun to swell. Before she had thought them to be bruises but the violet patches were sores that swelled into pouches of puss... if that was what it was. The scout was tied down to the bed, wounds from his struggle only scabbed over, some burst from further struggle: his fits the prior day when he first appeared before them were beginning to pass. But with that calming came the appearance of sores, and his skin as cold as ice. They were growing larger, one could almost see them growing. And upon seeing them, fear clutched at her heart. She knew what this was. She could see it in the eyes of the other healers. He would die, they all knew he would die.

"Send word to the king," she whispered, keeping her voice steady, unwilling to let it shake. She would not allow them to see her fear. Instead, she opened the pouch at her hip, hand digging in to grab a piece of chalk gifted to her from the others in just one of the many signs of friendship. None of them could doubt what she was doing, not as they backed up, allowing her to draw the circle around the entire bed, the ends connecting. She straightened, dropping it back in her pouch as she moved over to the ailing man. Her jaw tightened and she pulled out her knife and tugged a piece of hair from her head. She dropped it in the bowl next to her and lifted it. Only then did she add the rest of the ingredients. Herbs and plants were in abundance within the infirmary. The more complicated the spell, the more was needed - usually. Only the most simple of spells did not need such things. Instead, she put the filled bowl onto the foot of the bed and stopped before it. The room went silent except for the sound of his labored breathing, and the motions of the others on the other side of the barrier. She lit the contents of the bowl on fire.

Thus, she lifted the knife and sliced open her palm, allowing the blood to well up and spill over her skin. As it hit the flame, it sizzled, turning the color from golden-red to deep green edged in pure blues. Twisting the knife in her hand, she gripped the keystone at her neck that was always hung by a chain. She drew energy from it, drawing to mind what she desired to have. Fire. The energy from the keystone flooded into her. She would need to refill the keystone, it would soon be empty of her energy. And in that moment the shimmering barrier formed above the center of the Circle and spread outwards to meet it: completely covering her and the bed within it. It was like a flood of light, a shimmering in the air as if a mirage in great heat. And in that moment she felt the Presence descend on her shoulders, the presence of the Elemental about her. Her eyes closed, allowing to form into her mind what she desired. She could not draw him from death... it would kill her, she knew it. All she could do was one thing: alleviate his suffering and in turn she would pay the price for it. She could feel the recognition of the Elemental, it would accept it. And thus, she felt the pressure heighten, heavy upon her mind, heavy upon her shoulders. She had to pay the Price eventually if not soon.

The power flooded through her veins, recognizing that no energy to cast the spell would come from her but the Elemental alone. She moved, allowing the Magic to guide her. She put her hand against his brow and though nothing appeared to happen, she could suddenly feel his entirety before her. His eyes moved restlessly beneath the lids before they opened then closed again. The glowing warmth radiated from her hands though was invisible to the eyes. His breathing calmed but only for a moment as his tight body relaxed. Then, suddenly, he jerked, hands tightening with a terrible shudder through his body. She immediately cut contact from him and the Elemental, recoiling lest his death be on her hands.

She could feel the weight leaving her shoulders, but not the weight of the Price she had to pay.

"Lady wildmage?"

She closed her eyes. "Dispose of the body. He cannot receive funeral rights. The body needs to be destroyed so the disease cannot spread." She knew how terrible a thing it was... to deny him his last rights... what they believed would allow them into the afterlife. But if that were to happen, the disease could spread. It was a choice she had to make and that choice they would follow even if it was something they refused to accept. She dried the knife of her blood and wrapped her palm in a clean linen so it would stop bleeding. Another scar to add to her collection. Another wound that would never heal.

[list][list][list][list][list][size=10]ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ᴘᴏsɪᴛɪᴏɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ
                            [url=link to full image here][imgleft]your image here[/imgleft][/url] [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Copy paste Character Description

[b]sᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜs[/b]: Copy paste information
                            [b]ᴡᴇᴀᴋɴᴇssᴇs[/b]: Copy paste information
                            [b]ᴜsᴀɢᴇ[/b]: Copy paste information

[spoiler][i]your username here[/i] :: reserved
                            blurb here [/spoiler]

Distinct Pumpkin

1,550 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Timid 100
PhantomHoofbeats

I can wrap my head around it, just spit balling the ideas at ya. That just means more characterizing with the Gods than actual witchcraft XD.
Witch still sounds fun no matter how it's spun, so I'll still want to play it.

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

The Azure Knight
        oh thank god
        I was terrified for a second I had offended you (ノ´ □`)ノ ♥

did you read anything from Kitrold's journal? Just to be sure I'm not spewing out stuff that doesn't make sense... haha. I killed my fingers on the laptop mouse trying to be creative but I may just go back to not having the pages and just write it out. So it doesn't look so intimidating.

But anyway, I think it would be best if I showed you what I have written down so far... the rest is either non-existent or in my head. As I said before I wanted my sister's opinion but she hasn't given me that yet so I guess I'll have to work around that! She's usually very good at that stuff. It isn't much of anything cohesive and most telling their creation story at the moment. Though the concept of the Realms is definitely a keeper and the role Statai plays as well. Anything in brackets I have zero information for. Other than that:

Before the Nothingness and before Reality, the endless universe that had yet to be was filled.

Before the Gods were the [forces of the universe], the seed of reality from which all would spring.

Before Time was harmony by the [forces of the universe] that flowed together and amidst each other.

As East is from the West, the [forces of the universe] could not touch yet coexisted as counterparts to one another to fill every reach of the boundless plane of reality.

All rested upon this plane and flowed like water upon its single dimension.

Yet from this plane arose disharmony as the [forces of the universe] clashed rather than flowed together and the plane shuddered beneath their weight. From the harmony formed Chaos. He who is known as Chaos pushed forth through the waters of the [forces of the universe] and by his hands came the void, the Nothingness. He who fed upon the Nothingness pressed aside the [forces of the universe] with his hands and at his feet he stood upon the plane. From him would come the void and the spirits would roil as a tempest at his palms.

As the void separated the East from the West, Chaos contrasted harmony and opposites were born.

[ story of how the gods came to be ]

gods fought Statai who held the forces of the universe at bay across the great void.

cunning of Irothe, the trickster, with winged Iyar the messenger, cast Statai down who was wounded.

[ what happened to him - banished ]

gods now fought each for power over the [forces of the universe]

created the daemons as soldiers to fight

Saris, the first born from the cataclysm, wrested power from the other gods

Chose kimia as his bride who denied him

[ story about creation of time and his victory over her ]

Kimia gave birth but in defiance slaughtered the child they had made

from the blood of the child was born Oldomë, the shining one: and the cursed.

[ time gap... ]

Oldomë loved Novuya, most lovely of the goddesses.

He, Oldomë, who was the heavens, embraced her (Novuya) for they loved and would not part. But he (Irothe) turned into a grain of dust which she swallowed, thus impregnating her. From her stomach would grow the egg of the world. To protect her return to Nothingness by death and defying his mother who was fate, Oldomë put her to sleep. His tears would turn to rivers, streams, and oceans.

Kimia of the two faces was enraged by his disobedience and banished him far from Novuya that he could not reach.

Romara becomes goddess of the rivers and seas as well as the cosmos against Oldomë who brought ruin to her sister, Novuya. Not knowing it was actually Irothe.

Within Novuya's womb was also born humanity within the darkness. they lived in the dark place though it was Morund who convinced Saris, the master of death and life, to bring them above. Romara hated them, the offspring of Novuya and Irothe, and disagreed. But Morund led them by his light above and they loved him.

....and drawing a blank. : P

Soo... in the universe before the gods there was no concept of "nothingness" and everything was in complete harmony. But by whatever force that harmony was broken, the concept of Chaos and Nothingness came into being... and ultimately the universe. Because of the concept of opposites. Like... you know what light is because there is darkness. If there wasn't darkness, we wouldn't understand light. Or "right" wouldn't exist is there wasn't a "left". A bit abstract, I guess, but I like abstract. emotion_dowant

Also, creation stories are very important to how societies are constructed and view themselves... which I find immensely interesting. Like, hm, for example... the formless, abstract god and the glorification of writing, logic, etc. Or the authority of the mother goddess above a son and the equality of women. Something like that (the first one yes, I couldn't remember the whole thing about the mother goddess though it had to do with the defining of femininity and the abstract rather than masculinity and logic).

/coughcough

Sooo.... I though the part of Kimia and Oldomë would be important because it would help minimize male dominance but still keep a patriarchal society (as in, the kings) because of Saris. She submits but is not ruled by him making it clear to him she does not need him. (so women play an important role and are not seen as inferior) Masculine societies are highly distinctive from feminine (masculine cultures prioritize achievement, wealth, expansion, & war since conflicts are solved through aggression (physical or not) and feminine cultures prioritize relationships, nurturance, and quality of life with conflicts solved through negotiation) so keeping the idea of problems solved by conflict by the gods and the chief of the gods being male helps set up the society as it is. Since their world is definitely more aggressive...

Does any of that make sense or am I throwing out BS? I just recently finished my cultural anthropology class so it makes sense in my head x___x

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

The Iron Youth
        eheheh /pats head

oooh : D
        something to do with Chaos, huh... hmm... well, let's say magic = order so lack of magic = chaos. He is the opposite of magic just as Statai is pretty much the opposite of the gods. So he is - unknowingly - like a vassal for Statai of some sort? A way for him to get back into the world from where he had been banished from...?

It is working! And I love it!

Yesh, art. Since it is fantasy and all it makes the most sense to me. No photographs : D
        oooh... I should put that down... thanks for reminding me!

night! ...or morning whenever you read this.

ttoki's Fangirl

Shy Phantom

N o i r Wafflesaurus
        look what happened

Aged Streaker

PhantomHoofbeats

Maybe even though Statai is the opposite of magic, his vessel, vassal, however you want it to work out, has to be surrounded by magic? Kind of like how galaxies orbit around black holes? But you don't really see them until something gets knocked into them and then suddenly they're spewing out light and gas and stuff? I don't know if that made sense to you or if it's just in my head, but.

All right, art works-- any particular requirements for the art? Anime-style, something more traditional?

And on top of that, is it possible for the shapeshifter to change their appearance into that of another person?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff