Welcome to Gaia! ::

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
I learnt a few languages at school along with others from home. It's great for just expanding your horizons, good for work prospects and you get this skill to identify other languages even if you don't understand it.
And you get better at English because you learn what are the differences between other languages and can compare it to your own to understand it better.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
THeSLuSH
Ideally, we should all start learning a second language in elementary school/start of middle school. NOT in high school. Your brain is better wired for a new language when you are younger. But anyways, yes, you should learn as many languages as you can.

you speak as though everyone is monolingual. :/ I was raised bilingual in Vietnamese and English (although after not speaking Vietnamese for several years, I've lost the ability to speak it, and I never did probably learn how to read or write it), so any languages I learned would be considered my third, fourth, etc. language.
My school is same as to shinigami ryukie on the taking two years or at least go to level two in order to graduate. But of course there are lots of other kids that are above that and will continue the language. If kids complete level 2 then they are done they don't have to sign up for a language again unless they want to. Even before high school I kept switching with the different languages. Till I finally realised which one or ones I was good at. But there are some which I took and wasn't fair because of the teacher. I was forced out of that class by a different teacher of mine. I still won't ever forgive her for that.

Sparkly Lunatic

Sakura Parfait
THeSLuSH
Ideally, we should all start learning a second language in elementary school/start of middle school. NOT in high school. Your brain is better wired for a new language when you are younger. But anyways, yes, you should learn as many languages as you can.

you speak as though everyone is monolingual. :/ I was raised bilingual in Vietnamese and English (although after not speaking Vietnamese for several years, I've lost the ability to speak it, and I never did probably learn how to read or write it), so any languages I learned would be considered my third, fourth, etc. language.

I did not mean for my statement to come off as such a broad generalization, so I apologize for that and will elaborate my thought. I was trying to elucidate to the fact that here in America, opposed to many other countries where learning a second language is required rather than being an elective option, we should work to encourage more of our young students to pick up a second language because of the wide range of benefits that come from being multilingual.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff