Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Perfectionist

It's really a joke in my school, I don't think it should be mandatory because my school barely does anything in gym we have gym once every 14 school days for half an hour. It is defiantly not improving anyone's health and is just wasting time.

If they improved their system (had it more often) then yes I think if should be mandatory.
LOLOL, Idekay.
I dont have p.e this year ~ whee

Beloved Conversationalist

9,250 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Yes. Sports is freaking needed because everyone is getting lazy and fat (counting me too). Unless it being obligatory, no-one will do it, although you can't live without moving, exercising, doing sports. You just can't list all the positive consequences of working out.
The only problem is, even if you make it obligatory, there will be schools that won't care about it at all, and won't do sports, or just simply say it's P.E. lesson and instead they'll give a maths lesson.

Omnipresent Demigod

HDMl
████████████████████████████████████████ ███

With all the obese kids in this generation I'll say yes. I wasn't one of them though and I hated gym class. Well I liked it because there were a lot of half naked guys in the locker room lol. But I think we all liked that part.

█████████████████ ██████████████████████████

Hopeful Bookworm

I hate P.E but while I was taking it I did a lot better in school.

Questionable Borg

I think in Elementary/Junior High/High School it should be, but in college it should be an elective.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
ashash1o1
I think schools should offer other athletic classes along with p.e, like yoga and dance. I think it should be mandatory for students to take an athletic class....because to be honest, a lot of us need it these days. It would be nice to have options though heart

When I was in high school, PE was any athletic classes a student wanted to take (and marching band students and those on a sports team got to skip PE). I took tennis, swimming, and dance as my PE courses during high school, which was awesome, rather than being forced to take a generic PE class like almost all other high schools. XP

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Mayor Gravity
I think in Elementary/Junior High/High School it should be, but in college it should be an elective.

...I thought PE already was an elective in college. I don't need to take a PE class to graduate. Only PE majors need to take a PE class.

HimeKeesho's Wife

Well.. maybe for two years in high school not all four. It's good as an elective too. Keeps you in shape and active. Or if you need credits..
Honestly I don't understand why people dread going to P.E class. It was fun for me, and I had no problem passing my classes at all.

Not to mention your getting kind of a work out running around the gym all period playing games etc. And if you should feel yourself get exhausted simply pull the gym teacher aside and ask to go get a drink and sit down to catch your breath a minute, it isn't that hard to do.

Dapper Fairy

Light Soprano
ashash1o1
I think schools should offer other athletic classes along with p.e, like yoga and dance. I think it should be mandatory for students to take an athletic class....because to be honest, a lot of us need it these days. It would be nice to have options though heart

When I was in high school, PE was any athletic classes a student wanted to take (and marching band students and those on a sports team got to skip PE). I took tennis, swimming, and dance as my PE courses during high school, which was awesome, rather than being forced to take a generic PE class like almost all other high schools. XP

I wish it was like that where I'm from... I see that they're trying to implement different sports in my school (archery being the coolest I've heard of so far), but none are really physically demanding and don't per se "get the kids in shape" instead of having some kids give 100% and others stand idly by waiting to go home and down 2 orders of Chicken Fingers at the local hangout place. I think gym is super important just so that kids are doing SOMETHING, but that something needs serious adjustment.
I think PE should be mandatory. This is the case in my school district, and I think it's worked great.

First of all, I want to point out that those with a long-term injury (like a very bad broken leg), those who take a sport outside of school for a ridiculous amount of time (about an hour every day; mostly this only applies to hardcore gymnastics athletes), and those with a long-term medical condition that would PE kind of pointless (ie confined to a wheelchair counts, have asthma does not) do not have to take it.

Starting in elementary school, all kids have a PE class for one hour two days of the week, in the same way that they have a music class, computer lab, and science lab for an hour one day of the week. This helps kids who don't run around at recess have at least some level of fitness. In my school, the forth and fifth graders would run timed miles very occasionally (less than once a month), but no one cared if you took 13+ minutes to finish.

In junior high/middle school, all kids take PE (except for the aforementioned exceptions) as one of their year-long classes every year. In this class, they do try to push you, but not to the extent that they would get sued. Note that this is coming from someone who runs at the same speed as the asthmatics. Yes, the whole changing-in-the-locker-room thing is uncomfortable, but not unbearable. (This is coming from someone who flinches everything they are touched.)

In high school, because the number of classes you can take per year is less than in middle school, PE is only required to be taken year-long for two years. However, some of my school's sports teams require that their athletes take PE off-season.

Mandatory PE is great for kids with ADHD I believe, or for those who just want to let off some steam. After all, there's no recess after elementary school.

TL;DR Mandatory PE works great for my school district and I don't see why others would choose not to adopt it (the cost in implementing it aside).

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
I think it should be mandatory, but there should be options for those of us who can't run for medical reasons, and things like that. Offering yoga would have helped me immensely going through school, because of a medical condition involving my stomach. Anytime I exert myself through running, I get incredibly sick, to the point of vomiting. Low-contact, non-competitive exercise should absolutely be an option.

Questionable Borg

Light Soprano
Mayor Gravity

...I thought PE already was an elective in college. I don't need to take a PE class to graduate. Only PE majors need to take a PE class.
At my school it's that way too, but I didn't know if that was the case in all schools.

Beloved Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Object of Affection 150
Yes, for high school. It's like Recess. =/ dont give me that bs "it takes study time away" School will still be just as long. You are probably spending more time hanging with friends, on the computer, or watching TV than the...what 45 minutes of a gym class?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff