And pick me a comic instead?
No way book!
I'm your reader
I open you up.
Set you free.
Listen, I know a secret!
Will you share your secrets with me?

~N.M. Bodecker

This is a multiple round tektek contest in which each round will be inspired by various books. Don't worry, you don't have to have read the books, they were merely inspiration.

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

The Manuscript:

There will be 20 contestants! (More if enough apply)

To join, please fill out the simple form below and PM it to me!
(Winners from the first two seasons cannot join, you're welcome to apply as judges though!)

[b]Username:[/b]
b]Examples (at least 3):[/b]
[b]Aspirations:[/b] Why do you want to join? Will you be dedicated? etc.
[b]Random Question: [/b] If you were stranded what are three things you would want to have with you?
[b]Export code:[/b] Please give me your full body export code! Found [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/export/export/]here[/url]

The entry fee will be 1k. Please send this entry fee to me and title the trade "Through the Pages", so I know what it's for.

1st Place will win 50k
2nd Place gets 20k
3rd Place receives 10k

I'm gonna try to keep this to a nice schedule:
Sunday Night: Challenge Posted
Monday - Friday: Tektek!
Friday - Sunday: Judging!

Please submit your entry to me as soon as possible. You are encouraged to post your avatar for comments and advice from the other contestants. You are also allowed to edit your avatar once after you have submitted it. Dream Free is always allowed.

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

Editors:

User Image
Jamais Changeant (AKA Jam, Jammy, etc.)
I’ve been on gaia for nearly six years and have found very few passions here. One is roleplaying. The other is avatar creating. I like to make avatars that not only match color-wise, but match flow-wise, creativity-wise, and theme-wise. My main personal prejudice is when skin shows on the face but nowhere else.

User Image
Suzu Yuudai (AKA Suzu, Suz)
Gaia recently said that this account is four years old, so even though I've been on Gaia much longer than that, it's a good indicator of how long I've been TekTeking. I like avatars that look good and have enough flow to tie everything together, whether it be matching or not. However, I can get pretty nitpicky about color balance.

User Image
`April (AKA April, Ashley)
I'm determined to be around for all TTP contests, just because I love books that much! I've been on Gaia for a good 6 or so years, and the AT has always been my home. I look for a variety of things in all avatars, but I like things to flow and be aesthetically pleasing. I'm an overall fair judge; I'll point out your flaws but also highlight your strengths.

Judging Rubric:
x/10 Aesthetics
x/5 Originality
x/5 Adherence to Theme
x/20 TOTAL

I will be looking for at least two more editors. To apply, please fill out the form below and send it to me.

Please note, I'd like to have people with experience in contests and as judges as my judges.

[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Nicknames?:[/b]
[b]Bio:[/b] How long have you been tekteking? What do you look for in a tektek? What you don't like? etc.
[b]Your color:[/b] Choose the color you want your comments to be in!
[b]Full body export code:[/b]
Rate the following tektek using the rating scale above:
[url=http://tektek.org/avatar/41830518][img]http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1101/d22/0122/f895242.png[/img][/url]

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

Fine Print:
Round 12: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

“ ‘Do you ever read any of the books you burn?’ He laughed. ‘That's against the law!’ ‘Oh. Of course.’ “

Fahrenheit 451 is a 1953 dystopian novel that presents a future American society where reading is outlawed and firemen start fires to burn books. Over the years, the novel has been subject to various interpretations, primarily focusing on the historical role of book burning in suppressing dissenting ideas. Bradbury has stated that the novel is not about censorship, but a story about how television destroys interest in reading literature.

The banning of "Fahrenheit 451" Ray Bradbury's 1953 book about the evils of book banning and censorship is like a circular joke. Though the language was what was criticized initially, the more likely reason is that one of the main themes of the story is that a government (which tries to suppress freedom of expression) should be opposed. For this round I want you to create an avi representing the extreme means that society goes to try to control things (for instance, burning books). It can be something serious being controlled or something utterly ridiculous.

Due Date May 19th
No late entries will be accepted!!
Be sure to look at the rubric in the judges post to see what you will be judged on!!!

Prospective Rounds:
Round 1: Forever (20 compete, 2 eliminated)
Round 2: Alice in Wonderland (18 compete, 2 eliminated)
Round 3: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (16 compete, 2 eliminated)
Round 4: Lord of the Flies (14 compete, 2 eliminated)
Round 5: Harriet the Spy (12 compete, 2 eliminated)
Round 6: Lolita (10 compete, 1 eliminated)
Round 7: Candide (9 compete, 2 eliminated)
Round 8: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (7 compete, 1 eliminated)
Round 9: And Tango Makes Three (6 compete, 1 eliminated)
Round 10: Catcher in the Rye (5 compete, 1 eliminated)
Round 11: The Da Vinci Code (4 compete, 1 eliminated)
Round 12: Fahrenheit 451 (3 compete, 2 eliminated)

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

Aspiring Writers:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Paecoc ~ ~ ~ Black_Daisys ~ ~ ~ iymcool ~ ~ ~ ~ marwolfer ~ ~ ~ Aleyska

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Teh Knightmare ~ charlieslaysvampires ~ -My Litlle Shadow- ~ poojuice ~ S e i r o m e m

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Limbsomnia ~ ~ PolarMints ~ ~ ~ padfoott ~ ~ ~ VegetasBabie ~ ~ ~ madre monstere

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.]User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Cinderfae ~ ~ ~ pig_girl ~ ~ ~ Eclectice ~ ~ ~ Kaien217 ~ ~ ~ Autio Ainoa

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

Reviews:

iymcool
FIRST PLACE!!!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The faceless government continues to try and control the choice of women and the ones they carry within....

8/10 Aesthetics
5/5 Originality
5/5 Adherence to Theme
18/20 TOTAL
Wow. The issue you chose is controversial and definitely perfect for insighting emotion. The better part of that is that you back that up with a very well done entry. I love the dark background on this to make the patient stand out and really capture our attention. And the doctor companion is perfect for this. you don't notice it right away which is perfect to imply the shady control of the government. my only complaint it the face...mainly the mouth. It's so high up it looks a little silly. I also feel like a little red of the head would've completed the red outline you had going.

Suzu

9/10 Aesthetics
5/5 Originality
5/5 Adherence to Theme
19/20 TOTAL
Wow. You have taken one of the most controversial issues and expressed it in avatar form. Abortion and choice are gruesomely depicted in this stunning avatar. Great placement of the blood- it’s not too overdone but draws attention to the issue. The only thing that threw me off was those eyebrows, but they go with the hair so nothing that can be done. The background adds to the theme but isn’t too overwhelming, especially the creepy nurse. One of the best avatars theme and aesthetics.

9.5/10 Aesthetics
4.5/5 Originality
5/5 Adherence to Theme
19/20 TOTAL
Wow, let me just say this overall message is very powerful. Personally I have not read the book myself, but hearing about it, and what I am going in to at school I feel I would enjoy it and thinking about it. It makes me thing of a speech I had to do. But this topic, we were not allowed to cover. The fact that you were able to make such a strong topic fit into one avatar is amazing. For the avatar itself, I like how the government is also represented in this as well, kind of lurking in the background and in the shadows. The actually avatar is greatly portrayed too. On the simple side, but gets the point across. I think you did a really good job on this.

Total: 18.66/20

poojuice
SECOND PLACE!!
Loosely based on Imelda Marcos.
With the Philippines in severe hardship, Imelda Marcos genuinely
believed that by spending excessive amounts of government funds
for her extravagant lifestyle, she could keep appearances with foreign
delegates and lift the Philippines out of poverty.

8/10 Aesthetics
5/5 Originality
4/5 Adherence to Theme
17/20 TOTAL
This is gorgeous, but that's no surprise coming from you. The background is perfect to contrast the bright extravagance of her dress. My main complaint with this would have to be that I don't get much emotion from her. She looks lost and confused...I also don't like how her head blends into her shoulders. Those blue ribbons up there don't help either.

Suzu

7/10 Aesthetics
4/5 Originality
4/5 Adherence to Theme
15/20 TOTAL
Feels like another in your series of avatars based upon Imelda Marcos. I feel like a lot of the frame is taken up by the avatar and her outfit, rather than the scene behind it that contrasts and contradicts it to make the point. Many of the head items are almost beyond extravagance and into silliness. Shell? Some don’t layer well with others and creates a lumpy headdress. I like the idea, but I just feel that the avatar is really distracting when trying to look for theme.

9/10 Aesthetics
5/5 Originality
4/5 Adherence to Theme
18/20 TOTAL
I had to do some reading and scanning on this whole topic, because I knew nothing about it. Still not quite sure a lot about it. And do not have much time to look into it in this short of time, you guys have been waiting for judging for awhile now, but I'll go with what I've read. The avatar does a good job of showing the whole "from rags to riches" feel, overcoming a defeat to something more extravagant. I am glad with the detail of the actually avatar, and even with the huge dress, you incorporated other items withing it. A bit cluttered overall, but after reading some more into the topic of the story, I understand the avatar more.

Total: 16.66/20

Eclectice
THIRD PLACE!
A commentary on Govt. "controlling" and limiting natural areas and resources

7/10 Aesthetics
4/5 Originality
4/5 Adherence to Theme
15/20 TOTAL
This doesn't really stand out. I almost feel like I've seen it before, but then again I've used that trunk so many times it'd be a little hypocritical of me to say anything too much about it. It's just different enough, but not really wow-worthy. I like all the bindings and the face is great (not a fan of the hair though as it disrupts the flow). Perhaps a more specific issue would've guided you to a more stand out entry.

Suzu

8/10 Aesthetics
5/5 Originality
4/5 Adherence to Theme
17/20 TOTAL
I just love the bottom of this. The textures, the way they blend with each other is just amazing. Especially the use of that floor, where it just looks like it grew out of the ground.The organic shapes and textures are all love, but the hair just doesn’t work for me. It’s too flowy and soft compared to the stone and dirt textures. The shape and the color as well take away from the rest of the avatar. I think the red was unnecessary. The grays and blacks and hints of gold were enough.

9/10 Aesthetics
3.5/5 Originality
5/5 Adherence to Theme
17.5/20 TOTAL
I would say I like the look of this avatar the most, but would score a bit less on originality. It is a popular topic, but probably not as moving as some people would like it to be, sadly ): It is a big issue, and one government does seem to have a lot of factors in. I like the "ruined" look, but maybe would have liked see maybe a few traces of a "natural" feel. But I like the work that was put into this, especially in the face area, and it has good balance.

Total: 16.5/20

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

Portfolios:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3

iymcool
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
WINNER OF TWO ROUNDS! 9 & FINAL!
WITH Ending Score of 18.66/20

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

Wash-Outs:

For those who cannot make it past the editors critiques...you will be considered wash-outs.

Paecoc
WITH Ending Score of 9.6/20

Kaien217
WITH Ending Score of 12/20

S e i r o m e m
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image
DISQUALIFIED!

padfoott
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
WITH Ending Score of 10.66/20

VegetasBabie
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
WINNER OF ONE ROUND! 1
WITH Ending Score of 11.66/20

-My Litlle Shadow-
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Limbsomnia
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image
DISQUALIFIED!

Cinderfae
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image
DISQUALIFIED!

pig_girl
WITH Ending Score of 10/20

PolarMints
WITH Ending Score of 13.66/20

madre monstere
User Image
DISQUALIFIED!

Autio Ainoa
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
WITH Ending Score of 11.66/20

Aleyska

Black_Daisys
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image
DISQUALIFIED!

Teh Knightmare
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image
DISQUALIFIED!

charlieslaysvampires
User Image
WINNER OF THREE ROUNDS! 2 & 5 & 6
DISQUALIFIED!

marwolfer
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
WITH Ending Score of 14/20

Eclectice
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
WINNER OF THREE ROUNDS! 3 & 10 & 11
WITH Ending Score of 16.5/20

poojuice
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
WINNER OF THREE ROUNDS! 4 & 7 & 8
WITH Ending Score of 16.66/20

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

Accomplished Writers:

g i r l on a s t r i n g ~ ~ ~ Memory Earth ~ ~ ~ kaschieka ~ ~ ~ iymcool

Fashionable Lunatic

User Image

The story begins...

User Image

Dapper Codger

.....post ninja .

Fashionable Lunatic

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Hello Stranger.

Aged Fatcat

User Image

So put out your cigarette

This.. promises. : D

And kiss me on the lips tonight.

Dapper Codger

Hullo. : P How goes the night?

Fashionable Lunatic

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Hi EMV!

Whirr: It goes tiredly. I'm all done now though! Good night!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff