Welcome to Gaia! ::

tuni fish's Pardner

Questionable Investigator

User Image

A thick sandstorm billows across a rocky field, through the skeletons of dead buildings and burying stripped bones. Two clothed figures are crouched, digging through the wreckage of one in particular. They speak in a tongue that rings of familiarity, but between their covered mouths and the howling winds you cannot make anything out. You shift your position slightly, feeling your legs grow sleepy from being sat on for too long, and send a cascade of debris down, quiet in the sand, dirt and ash. Slowly the winds choke themselves and die, revealing the figures. You can’t help but stare as they pull down their caked masks, and reveal their weathered faces. One lifts his head, paranoid, and slowly scans his surroundings. Briefly you lock sights; you gasp, and scrabble back into cover. His eyes are a bold and an unnatural white; a brighteyes.

tuni fish's Pardner

User Image

+ Obey ToS of Gaia.
+ There is no entry fee for this contest.
+ The prize will be 25,000 gold
+ Each round will last for five days.
+ Each contestant is allowed a maximum of two extensions. Each extension allows for two extra days for that single contestant.
+ Be honest with me. If you cannot continue the contest, or are having difficulty understanding the judging, or anything else, please do not hesitate to either post in this thread, or PM me your concerns.
+ Every new round will be posted under the "Current" headline.
+ All entries should be PM'd to me.
+ You may ask for comments and constructive feedback from your fellow contestants in this thread. Judges are advised to use their best judgement in regards to this.
+ Each entry is expected to have both an avatar and a written piece to accompany it. If anyone would like examples, simply ask and I will provide you with examples from previous story-based contests I have run.
+ If you submit an entry before the deadline, you will be allowed to edit said entry up until the deadline if you quote this rule. Make sure to have my username in the quote="___" section so that I can see what you're editing. I will be in this thread a lot, but I can miss things on accident.
+ Please save and host your avatar to your own server.
+ No TekTek avatars. Inventory Search is widely available, and helps make sure layering is possible on Gaia.

tuni fish's Pardner

User Image
To be a Judge, please PM me stating so. If more that 2 apply, I will choose 2 out of the pool of applicants.

01. UnderworldTorrent

02. Quiet Judgments

tuni fish's Pardner

User Image

The Story:

Your encounter with the brighteyes has left you shaken, and unprepared for the SOMETHING

Your Objective:

Create an avatar...or something

Current Due Date: by Midnight Central Time

tuni fish's Pardner

User Image
Contest is full!

02. HARD sunshine
Quote:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
'Nother day, 'nother night spent in 'nother cave.

Y'know, you'd think you would get used to hidin' out in caves and s**t, waitin' until the dust settles in again, and the sun rolls back over the horizon, but ya don't. I guess that's what I get for takin' that run to Old Jersey City so late in the day. But, yeaaaah, it'll be so worth it.

Now normally I don't take these run-and-grab missions without a lil' more intel. The young lad made bold promises though. Said his father owned one of the largest still functioning farms on this side of the Missouri. Said I could get enough food to make the journey worth my while, and well it turned out I was running a little low. So I snatched up the pick-up address and went about my way. I thought I woulda been able to get in and get out, but some raiders gave me a lil' hassle on accounts that I looked suspicious or somethin'. Needless to say I had to bash a few heads and now 'ere I am.

And now that I'm settlin' in for the night, I hafta agree with those raiders. This package I picked up does look extra suspicious-like. Maybe I should take a peek at what almost coulda cost me my-

Who's there!? I don't wanna hafta hurt you. Don't make me-

Oh my god.. You're one of those brighteyes, aren't you?
Look, I don't know whatcha want, but you better go find yourself another cave to crawl in cause this one is ocupado.

Look girlie, I don't want to hafta fight someone with your, erm... Disabilities, but you're gonna give me no other choice.

Hey! Don't move any closer! Don't grab that box! Don't rip it open! Don't put that-

Aw hell, that kid had me goin' on a drug run! Son of a b***h. Well, I wonder how much that little s**t's dad is gonna pay me when I tell him, and to keep me from telling the raiders, that his son is a Shiner dealer.

05. Old Man Vee
Quote:
User Image

The wolves came at Buster at a terrifying pace. He knew he wouldn't be able to make it to his shack's door before they got to him, they were coming from behind it... So he lit his light staff and ran as fast as he could towards the town... He vaguely remembered the layout of the place and he always remembered the school he went to... The school he might be able to reach before the wolves... It was on his side of town anyway.

So he ran... And he ran... And the wolves ran, keeping pace with him and sometimes gaining, eyes glowing brighter still, reflecting the glow of his staff.

Finally he reached the wide double doors of the school. He opened them and slammed them shut, wedging his book under the door to help keep it closed (logic wasn't completely with him).

The front-most wolves slammed into the door, bursting through dazed and sliding upon the linoleum floor. That was all Buster needed to decide that he didn't want to stay in that part of the school.
Gym though... there were locks on those doors that he knew how to work.

He ran down the halls, making a lot of distance between him and the slipping, but unrelenting, wolves. He ducked into the locker room, slammed the door and the lock behind him he felt safe.

The wolves were growling outside but he knew that they couldn't get to him... But he'd have to find some stuff to make the locker room a place he could sleep for the night... Maybe he'd make some weapons out of some old sports gear... Whatever it was he was going to do, it was lost to him as he walked past a gibbering man with pure white eyes...
The man stopped gibbering when he saw Buster, "Got some rock salt for me Bob? EY BOB?"
Buster didn't know who this Bob was, and frankly, he didn't care.
"I ASKED YAH IF YA HAD ANY ******** SHINER FER ME BOB", the man growled, sounding more and more angry with each syllable.
"N-no", was all Buster could spit out... He wasn't practiced in talking to folk.
"THEN WHAT THE ******** ARE YAH DOIN' IN MY ******** HOUSE?!"

06. Navean
Quote:
User Image

It had been an uneventful day, which to me meant a successful one. I'd walked for a long time without thinking and ended up in the same place that always put me in: my childhood home. The collapsed walls brought me this strange mix of nostalgia and tragedy. That corner had been my bedroom that I shared with the twins. Across the hall had been my brother's room. The burnt area near the front used to be the living room. What once stood as a pinnacle of all that was good now withered like the rest around it - dilapidated by looters, heathens, and time.

I sighed. It was growing dark. That meant it was time to move on and find a place to stay for the night. I knew the neighborhood well enough to find somewhere safe, but had already subjected my heart to enough remembrances for one day. With dusk settling in around me, I turned my back on home and moved forward.

It didn't take long before I'd made my way into a dead city. Industrialization no longer ruled, though - plants were already starting to overtake several of the decrepit building fronts. As spooky as it was, it seemed like as good a place as any, especially with the light fading rapidly. The closer to the center of the city I got, the less the plants crept in. Eventually I found a building that looked like I could enter without the ceiling falling onto my head. By the looks of it, it had been some sort of office building. I wondered if even maybe there would be something useful. Maybe someone had been big into preservatives and the whole place was stocked full of still-edible sustenance! I snorted and laughed at myself. At least I'd been able to keep something of a sense of humor through this whole thing.

I put a hand on the door, expecting the hinges to shriek as I pushed, but surprisingly, it swung open easily. I walked inside and was swallowed by darkness. The windows were so covered in grime, hardly any of the last remaining light could get through. I shivered. After a few minutes, my eyes adjusted some and I could make out shapes of things. I began to turn in a circle, trying to survey the most comfortable "bed" when a flickering caught the corner of my eye. I stopped, mid-pivot. Had I imagined it? No - there it was again. Interestingly, the flicker made things grow darker. I narrowed my eyes, suspicious but still curious. I slowly crept towards the hallway it was coming from. When I reached it, I pressed my body up against the wall and slid along it. I reached a doorway, the epicenter of the flickering light. One deep breath to calm my nerves and then I swung my head quickly around the corner, seeing the whole room before pulling it back out. It was a bathroom. A filthy one. But it had a light that still worked. Sort of. I wondered if the water still ran or not. Or if there was any toilet paper left. There are luxuries I'd never really noticed, let alone appreciated, until they were gone.

I slipped silently into the bathroom. The walls were covered in graffiti and blood. It was likely, then, that all resources were gone by now. Oh well; it was always worth a look. I pushed the first stall door open to reveal nothing. The same came of the second, third, and fourth. The final stall would likely hold the same, but I would never forgive myself if I skipped out like that. I put my hand on the door and gave it a little shove. I jumped backwards in surprise. Sitting on the toilet, splayed out like a ragdoll, was a woman. Her tattered clothes told of a hard story, but it was the condition of her body behind the clothes that worried me more. Were those bruises, or was it dirt that covered her so?

She stirred, making a bit of a murmuring sound. I froze, hardly breathing. My hand moved to a shiv I had stashed in the back of my belt. She stood, wobbled a bit, and finally opened her eyes. They were a bright white. I gasped in terror. The lights flickered and the woman's eyes became a fiercely glowing red. Back on - white. Red-white-red-white. She was monstrous in her skeletal condition, eyes sunken so far into her skull I could see the shadows of her sockets. She smiled and giggled but for what reason I couldn't guess. I wasn't even sure if she saw me. I could certainly see her, though, and all I could do was stare into those ghastly eyes. Something seemed familiar about her, but I couldn't place it so I shoved it to the back of my mind. I slowly turned, always watching the woman, and backed away from the stall. As I moved out, so did she. Was she following me or just stumbling around incoherently? She laughed again. Red-white-red-white. I was now in the doorway and she in the middle of the bathroom when she stopped walking. I stopped too. She frowned then tilted her head like she was listening to something. I could barely breath. As she moved her head back, something silver glinted around her neck. It looked a lot like the necklaces Lanie and Janie had worn. Red-white-red-white. Silver?

08. Tuni Fish
Quote:

User Image

Alera had resigned herself to another night in the cave when she heard a twig snap behind her. Turning, Alera quickly brought her rifle down at the ready. The first things she noticed were the thing's eyes. ********! Of course it would be a brighteyes! Alera brought the rifle up an inch away from the brighteyes' chest. Jesus, but the thing was close.

It all happened so fast. Alera sucked in a breath and was in the middle of pulling the trigger when she saw a glimmer of silver. The echoing glimmer of pain in her right hand was just as fast. When the hell did that thing get a knife? The damn thing was so small, but she couldn't believe she had missed it. Her rifle clattered to the ground and the b***h flashed a smirk at her. So the things had a sense of humor, eh? The brighteyes drew back for another stab, but Alera was prepared this time. Rolling to the ground, Alera grabbed her rifle and brought the rifle's line of sight up between the brighteyes' god forsaken eyes. This shot was going to go quite a bit differently than the first.

09. Maramas
Quote:

User Image

The sun was setting rapidly, it was already long over the horizon, and the ruin of a house down the hill was the only shelter in sight so Sophie figured she better make for it and hope it was empty. Staying out in the open wasn't much of an option.

She crept up to the building silently, watching the windows and keeping low. When she was nearly at the door there was sudden movement in one of those windows, so she ducked out of view, pressing herself against a wall and not daring to breathe. Brighteyes, they had to be brighteyes, flailing about like that. There was some shuffling, then a thud, then nothing.

Sophie waiting another moment, then carefully lifted herself to peek through the corner of a window. The brighteyes was laying on the floor, not moving. She watched closely, but saw no sign of breathing either.

Just as Sophie was working up the courage to go investigate, someone yelled from elsewhere in the house, "Jerry! Jerry you a*****e, where's the rest of the diamond? There was at least two more hits there, you best have left me my half!" The woman belonging to the voice stepped in to the room and Sophie ducked lower to avoid being seen. Another brighteyes, by the look of it - her eyes were getting the beginning of the the telltale red tinge as the sun disappeared.

"Get up you lazy son of a b***h," the woman screeched at the figure on the ground, walking over to it and kicking it. "Get up! Get up! Hey...get up Jerry. Jerry?" The woman's attitude changed as her companion failed to react to violence. She knelt down and held one of his eyes open, put her head to his chest, shook his body, but nothing. "Oh Jerry, oh god Jerry, no Jerry..." Sophie didn't think brighteyes were capable of real emotions beyond rage and drug euphoria, but there was something resembling sadness in the woman's voice.

For a moment anyway. Her red eyes drifted close to Sophie, to something just out of Sophie's view below her window, and the sadness flipped to red hot anger. Sophie ducked as the woman came charging toward her, but the woman stopped short, picked something up off the floor and let out a banshee shriek like nothing Sophie had heard before. "JERRY! YOU TOOK ALL THE CRYSTAL AND KILLED YOURSELF AND LEFT NONE FOR ME YOU UNGRATEFUL a**! I SOLD MYSELF TO THOSE TRADERS FOR THIS, THIS WAS MINE!" Sophie didn't dare look through the window to see what the woman had found, but she could easily assume it was the empty container their shiner had been in.

Sophie stayed low as the woman tore the room apart, from the sound of it, shattering glass and splintering wood. The angry thrashing moved away from Sophie's hiding spot and to another room, accompanied by angry muttering. Once it had been quiet for a good long while, Sophie hazarded a peek through the window again, just in time to see the woman's return. She held weathered looking doctor's bag in one hand and used the other to rummage through it. Finally she found what she had been looking for - an antique looking syringe, brass colored and huge, and so threw the bag into a corner. When she knelt by the corpse, Sophie could see she was shaking violently, probably in desperate need of a fix.

"Think you can steal all my diamond huh? HUH? I'll drain every last bit out of you JERRY, EVERY LAST BIT!" Sophie puzzled over what exactly the woman could be talking about, but didn't have to wait long to find out. The woman plunged the syringe into the corpse's face, right at the eye, and drew out as much blood as the syringe would collect. She then quite expertly tapped it for bubbles, rolled up her sleeve and injected the blood into her own arm. Sophie held back a retch, but could not look away as the woman repeated the process several more times. Sophie was skeptical about the effectiveness of this action, but several syringes full of blood seemed to satisfy the brighteyes woman, actual effects or no. She lay back on the floor, twitching rapidly.

At long last Sophie stopped watching, sat down in the dirt outside the house and wept. She felt she should have been weeping for what had become of humanity, for the greater tragedy before her, but in that moment all she could think of was that this was the closest she'd come to human contact since lowering Lena's body into the deepest hole she could dig by herself and covering it with rocks and earth. She was so alone.

10. lovest harding
Quote:
User Image

The woman seemed nice enough when she accosted Glass on the street. She offered her a room, a free place to rest, if Glass was willing to look at her sister. But as Glass walked with the woman, she got the strangest feeling. They passed the inn she had slept in the night before. They passed the shops and homes that made up most of the town. They traveled just outside the ring of buildings lining the outskirts of town. And before them was an empty road and a single house.

The woman smiled at Glass. "That's my house there."

Glass tried to smile back, but all she could muster was an uneasy sigh. "And your sister?"

"She's in the basement."

Glass wanted to run, but part of her warned that if she left the woman's sister could be in real trouble. She couldn't pick and choose who to help because of a feeling. "Let's go."

The woman guided Glass to the house, taking her in and showing her to rickety stairs that led down into darkness. The strange feeling grew.

Glass set her father's briefcase on the ground, turning it so the woman could not see her hands as she opened the lock without looking. She reached inside and pulled out a flashlight, locking the case as quickly as she opened it. At least she wouldn't have to go in blind.

The woman smiled again. "My sister hasn't been feeling well. She's been ill for quite a while. And just the other day, she came home with a cut on her stomach. I hope you can help."

"I'll try." Glass followed the wall as she went down the stairs.

Something shuffled below her. She raised the flashlight high enough to bring down with force if she needed to defend herself. This wasn't her first patient. This wouldn't be her last.

Glass heard heavy breathing. She turned the flashlight to the corner.

The woman standing in front of her didn't seem right. She was bleeding heavily from a wound to the stomach. Blood had dried on her clothing. Her face was deformed. Glass could see the surgical lines around the horns embedded in her head and tattoos seemed to flow from the scars. But it was her eyes that scared Glass. The red glow was haunting.

Glass had seen this before. She had seen those eyes glowing at her from secret corners and dark places. She had seen the pain and addiction. She knew what it meant. And she knew that she didn't want any part of it.

tuni fish's Pardner

User Image

Round Scores
Quick Link

Round Scores
Quick Link

Alera blinked her wide eyes in the late sun that managed to peek through the clouds. It was bright, brighter than the cave at least. She pulled the brim of her large hat down with her free hand, and leaned her rifle against a nearby rock. Alera then turned and hefted out the bucket of bones she had collected the previous night. Every once and a while she had to do this, clear out the entrance to her little hideaway. It was easier to defend when skeletons blocked the path, but it also made it more difficult to escape for her freedom, or supplies (of which she admittedly had little left of). She didn't take the bones too far away from her home, instead choosing to spread them around the ground surrounding her cave, sending a strong message to those who would wish to raid her cave--whether she was home or not. Once she was finished Alera threw the bucket back into the depths from which it had come, wincing slightly at the sound of metal against dirt and rock, and shouldered her rifle again.

She stole a glance at the sky, then back to the rock where she had leaned her gun, using both to try and approximate the time. It was dangerous to stay in the cave at night, given how one never knew how deep or how far they stretched--though Alera had yet to experience that trouble. It was more dangerous however to stay out in the open. At night the Raiders took to the pavement, and the Brighteyes emerged from their dens, still enraptured in a drug induced haze. Alera wasn't worried about the raiders--they could be bought off or killed if needed. They only ever wanted one thing, with a few exceptions, and were easy to predict. The brighteyes scared her though. They could be unpredictable.

In a near by town, Glass also regarded the sky, twisting her mouth up into a small upturned frown. She had been hoping to leave this place before nightfall, but an emergency involving an angry wife and her drunk of a husband left her severing the rest of an index finger of the latter, and stitching up the nub. It wasn't a particularly well paying job--she only got one small bag of potatoes for the work-- but Glass was happy she could help a few more people. Glass shifted her father's briefcase from one hand to the other, feeling the familiar ache of her now free arm. She rarely put the case down, and was comforted by it's weight in her hand. Glass sighed and turned her attention to the closest inn. It would seem she would be spending the night there again.

tuni fish's Pardner

That should be all I need. I will be editing this tomorrow with details, so stay tuned!

Tipsy Fatcat

emotion_dowant totally stalked this

tuni fish's Pardner

The Bagel
emotion_dowant totally stalked this

Good ninja

XFateX's Husband

Hatacular Ferret

48,325 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Hatacular Ferret 500