Welcome to Gaia! ::

iKarnezar
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa

Avatar Yangchen said that the avatars sole duty is only to protect the world by any means, even if it means sacrificing your own spiritual needs.

Sacrificing spiritual needs = partaking of Earthly goods.

Well not earthly goods such as TV, iPads and toasters, but rather love, friendship and the human experience.
I would say that all those emotions would fall in to the spiritual category.

That doesn't/didn't stop Korra from driving fast Satomobiles, hanging out at the Sato mansion, trying on make-up, or listening to the radio's broadcast of Probending.

Which is that era's version of TV, ipads, ect.

And that didn't really help her because she got beat by Amon every time she ran in to him.
I guess as time goes on each incarnation of the avatar grows weaker.

That had less to do with her adapting to worldly possessions and more about being too headstrong and not thinking things through.

Amon was a prodigy Waterbender, not many people could stand up to him. The writers had to kill him off by a mercy killing because he was too powerful.

They didn't even have to write him as a water bender, for the first few episodes before his reveal everyone thought Amon was Koh or some type of never before seen long forgotten spirit demon.

But yeah, I'm used to the series having bad writing.
Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa

But you would agree that the sole reason for the avatar being is to protect the world, right?

Yangchen and Kyoshi seem to be the only avatars that we know of who've had that mind set, now avatar Wan, Roku and Kuruk mixed emotions in with their duty and look where it got them and the world.

Because of Roku, Fire Lord Sozin wipe out all the air benders, and Kuruk pissed of Koh and Wan, well we all know what he did.

Of course, or as They say in the openings. to bring Balance to the world.

Emotions are still a rather important part of being the Avatar. Though indeed not every avatar is uh.... Successful at their duty. But not quite because of emotions but because of personal failings.

Really? Even Roku blamed all the events of The Last Airbender on himself because he couldn't take out Sozin because he was his friend.

Which was a personal failing. Part of bringing Balance is to not deny their human side. Which we saw the risks of by having Korra be so secluded and focused solely on her duty as an avatar. When She arrived to Republic city. She had no clue what the needs of the world were.

Wait, are we talking about the same Korra here? Because what I saw from Korra in season one till the final was that she was hot headed, stubborn, cocky, incompetent, impatient and way to gung ho about almost everything. Yeah she was focused on being the avatar, but all for the wrong reasons.

To me, Kyoshi and Yangchen were the perfect examples of avatars, but that's just me.

Yup we are, because all of those things were heightened by her seclusion and complete unawareness of not just her spirituality, but of the world's needs.

Kyoshi was a great avatar, because she wasn't just duty,duty,duty. But passionate about doing the right thing for the people. Yangchen may have put her spiritual growth second. But she still cared.

I wouldn't nessarcily say that each avatar grew weaker. Aang and Korra were both very strong. Heck Korra for all her failings. Made the biggest spiritual change of them all by correcting Wan's mistake and letting Spirits and humans live as one once more.

Now I'm not saying each avatar should be a robot bent on keeping order and balance by any means necessary, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and that is letting the needs of a few outweigh the needs of the many. Roku, Aang, and Korra are prime examples of crossing that line.

Yep Kyoshi and Yangchen are a few of the best.

Aang and Korra are both strong in their respective generations, but if they were to ever fight the avatar before them they would lose. Now if you remember the episodes back in Last Airbender where they talk about Roku and Kyoshi you'd see that their beaning skills are far above Aang, and Korra never came close to being as powerful as Aang.

I'm still at odds about the whole spirit would and human would being together again. I mean what if humanity starts using spirit energy again or starts invading the spirit would and draining it's resources?

Greedy Capitalist

Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa

Avatar Yangchen said that the avatars sole duty is only to protect the world by any means, even if it means sacrificing your own spiritual needs.

Well not earthly goods such as TV, iPads and toasters, but rather love, friendship and the human experience.

That doesn't/didn't stop Korra from driving fast Satomobiles, hanging out at the Sato mansion, trying on make-up, or listening to the radio's broadcast of Probending.

And that didn't really help her because she got beat by Amon every time she ran in to him.

That had less to do with her adapting to worldly possessions and more about being too headstrong and not thinking things through.

Amon was a prodigy Waterbender, not many people could stand up to him. The writers had to kill him off by a mercy killing because he was too powerful.

Magic Collector

Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa

But you would agree that the sole reason for the avatar being is to protect the world, right?

Yangchen and Kyoshi seem to be the only avatars that we know of who've had that mind set, now avatar Wan, Roku and Kuruk mixed emotions in with their duty and look where it got them and the world.

Because of Roku, Fire Lord Sozin wipe out all the air benders, and Kuruk pissed of Koh and Wan, well we all know what he did.

Emotions are still a rather important part of being the Avatar. Though indeed not every avatar is uh.... Successful at their duty. But not quite because of emotions but because of personal failings.

Really? Even Roku blamed all the events of The Last Airbender on himself because he couldn't take out Sozin because he was his friend.

Which was a personal failing. Part of bringing Balance is to not deny their human side. Which we saw the risks of by having Korra be so secluded and focused solely on her duty as an avatar. When She arrived to Republic city. She had no clue what the needs of the world were.

Wait, are we talking about the same Korra here? Because what I saw from Korra in season one till the final was that she was hot headed, stubborn, cocky, incompetent, impatient and way to gung ho about almost everything. Yeah she was focused on being the avatar, but all for the wrong reasons.

To me, Kyoshi and Yangchen were the perfect examples of avatars, but that's just me.

Yup we are, because all of those things were heightened by her seclusion and complete unawareness of not just her spirituality, but of the world's needs.

Kyoshi was a great avatar, because she wasn't just duty,duty,duty. But passionate about doing the right thing for the people. Yangchen may have put her spiritual growth second. But she still cared.

I wouldn't nessarcily say that each avatar grew weaker. Aang and Korra were both very strong. Heck Korra for all her failings. Made the biggest spiritual change of them all by correcting Wan's mistake and letting Spirits and humans live as one once more.
iKarnezar
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa
The Avatar is not meant to partake of earthy goods.

Yeah they are, it's how they can come to understand human emotions and thus, protect it even more.

Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa

Which was her own interpretation of her duty as an avatar. Flavoured by her upbringing as an air nomad. Each Avatar has a different way of being the avatar. Their own way on what they believe an avatar should act as.

The Avatar spirit is the bridge between the spiritual world and the Earthly one. Which is the only constant we've seen. We've seen plenty of avatars that have had Earthly goods and relationships.

Wheezing Bloodsucker

2,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
You know? As a nurse, I have to reach this sort of sweet spot of compassion and involvement with my patients...

If I let it get too personal, I am breaking professional boundaries, and may possibly make decisions that compromise the patient's health and well-being because my intimate closeness with them clouds my judgement, and/or becomes highly exploitative and manipulative in nature.

And yet conversely, if I get too distant and too cold, I loose all compassion and may even forget the humanity of the patient I am supposed to care for, and subsequently loose some or all motivation to care for that patient.

I have to find a safe middle ground, a compromise, a... a balance.

I think being the Avatar is kind of like being a nurse to the whole world. The Avatar has to find a balance between being too spiritual and too worldly, too distant and too close; they have to care but not get so attached that they no longer can make the hard decisions they will inevitably have to make.

That's part of why I theorize that the Avatar soul is in actuality a dual soul: one half is Raava and is constant regardless of cycle, and the other half is human and particular to the cycle the Avatar happens to be in, with a new personality and experiences. And Raava, who joins with a new human who is born just after the previous Avatar dies, connects the most current human half of the soul to all the human halves that came before it in the previous cycles. I make no speculation as to if and how and when human souls reincarnate themselves, but perhaps Raava is kind of like thread in a needle (whelp, at least until, you know, the thing happened), connecting these souls together, these separate entities bound as one, because separation is an illusion and we are all One.

Korra's psyche is thus composed of part universal spirit, and part individual spirit. She is both Aang and not Aang, and the same goes for every Avatar previous. And she must also reconcile the finite and worldly with the infinite and spiritual. She IS the balance and the bridge.

Aged Rabbit

11,250 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
Chocobo Mullet
all this post makes me think about is avatar kyoshi loving everything
and that just seems wrong
i want a series on avatar kyoshi
or a one-shot comic

Kyoshi/Vengeance my OTP heart

Adventuring Lionheart

11,275 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa

Which was her own interpretation of her duty as an avatar. Flavoured by her upbringing as an air nomad. Each Avatar has a different way of being the avatar. Their own way on what they believe an avatar should act as.

The Avatar spirit is the bridge between the spiritual world and the Earthly one. Which is the only constant we've seen. We've seen plenty of avatars that have had Earthly goods and relationships.

It was a personal failing because while necessary for an Avatar to experience emotions and live as a human being, when the time comes for them to be the Avatar, they need to be able to separate those personal feelings from their duty for the good the world.

I guess in a way it's kind of like having a professional job. At home you might have had something upset you or be excited about something but you can't let your feelings show when doing your job or it could affect the work you're doing and make your coworkers and supervisors angry with you. I think in a way it's sort of the same thing. Separation of work and play.

Greedy Capitalist

Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa

Yeah they are, it's how they can come to understand human emotions and thus, protect it even more.

Magic Collector

Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa

Robin Tair
Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa

iKarnezar
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa

Magic Collector

Ganossa
Robin Tair
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa

Robin Tair
Ganossa
iKarnezar
Ganossa

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff