Welcome to Gaia! ::

OG Gaian

6,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Snowball Hero 200
Listo

I would just like to ask you.........if you are a particularly good finder, or if you FOUND my opinion to match your own. (If you don't get it just ignore this lolzz)

Original Hoarder

11,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
You're going off of 2 Avatars...among hundreds of reincarnations. I don't think that's fair. Besides, Korra has both strengths and weaknesses. Aang couldn't bend more than air, but he also had a much easier time accessing the spirit world. Korra, on the other hand, was good at the physical side side, being a bending prodigy, but has almost no connection to the spirit world.

Have you also considered the fact that Korra's personality is nothing like that of a typical waterbender? She's all fight and fire.
When Iroh explains it in Bitter Work: Water is the element of change. The people of the Water Tribes are capable of adapting to many things. They have a sense of community and love that holds them together through anything. They also are more defensive fighters, turning their opponent's strength against them by control.

So far, Korra's style is nothing like that. She prefers to attack then defend. On the other hand, air is free and light, without resistance and no direct attacks.

Also, look at Roku. He was too indecisive during his lifetime, and showed mercy to Sozin...he could have prevented the war, but he decided to spare his friend.
Iroh: Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.
Water is change, and Roku couldn't adapt when he heard Sozin's plan to invade the rest of the world. He wasn't willing to accept his old friend was different until it was too late.

As for Aang, he struggled with earth because it was the opposite of his personality.
Iroh: Air is the element of freedom. The Air Nomads detached themselves from worldly concerns, and they found peace and freedom.
On the other hand,
Iroh: Earth is the element of substance. The people of the Earth Kingdom are diverse and strong. They are persistent and enduring.

Aang is peaceful and optimistic, the complete opposite of solid, determined earthbenders.
1. She's a prodigy. Just because she knew all the elements from a young age doesn't mean she mastered them all then. Also, you have to consider the different avatars' lifestyles. Roku was a very mild-mannered son of someone who had connections with the fire family, grew up most likely in the shadow of the man who became Fire Lord Sozin, and was generally not confident in himself all his life - even after it was revealed that he was the Avatar. Aang was living in a society of detached air nomads and probably never considered trying to bend other elements, both because he wasn't exposed to them and because of his carefree and unassuming personality. Fast forward to Korra, who is born into the water tribe. There probably isn't a whole lot to do there in the way of fun, and she is very premature and headstrong. She probably suspected she was destined for something greater than living a quiet life in a land of nothing but snow and ice. And if you're going to do something no one has ever done before and tame a giant polar bear-dog, you've got to have some special moxie.

2. Was it ever really stated that the element that's hardest for you to learn is the element opposite your own, or was it just implied? Also, Korra grew up around water and is probably more in tune with how to attack with waterbending, not its more passive uses. Knowing how to bend three elements from a young age also probably had something to do with it. Despite being a water tribe gal, she probably favored earth and fire more because they match her presonality better. As we have seen, Korra really doesn't use waterbending much. And it's not like air and water are SO alike that if you know waterbending, you know airbending - they're just similar, and Aang got ahold of earthbending pretty fast despite his aversion to learning it. Fire seemed like much more of a challenge for him.

3. It was stated on the Nickelodeon site that a new sub-species of sky bison was discovered, and really? Too much comic relief? Really? How can you not love those grandkids? D:

Tipsy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
I rather like the show and some of the changes. I don't mind the change with the element learning. I do agree with you on one point though.

Yeah, it seemed she knew earth, fire, and water when she was very young. It just.. happened. She didn't need to learn much. That annoyed me. And in the original series, they explained when they told Aang he was the Avatar that they don't tell you you're the Avatar until you're 16. But he was an exception because of the oncoming war, or something. I don't remember. But I didn't get how she could just know that young. Aang didn't know. Roku didn't know. Not until they were told. It didn't make sense to me.
why is only three avatars talked about here we know of six avatar lives/ aang,roku,kyoshi(oh i just got this she was a earth bender) the avatar who killed the earth king, the carefree water avatar who lossed his beloved to a spirt (uhh,,,somehow) and the former airbender garu avatar who studyed the avatar state. we know much about them and in three out of these six lives thier oppisit element was the hardest for them to learn. they all said as much.
now there might be a point that she learned these three element do of the fact that she grew up surrounded by them masters of water,fire and earth and lacked a teacher for air. so that might be a point. while the other avatars said they lived with a certain type of bending all there lives till told they were the avatar.
so my take on this is that she knows the least about this element not that shes not good at it.
and her playing being the avatar seems to be a good idea. thill she learned she could bend all the elements

OG Gaian

6,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Snowball Hero 200
Gumshoe
why is only three avatars talked about here we know of six avatar lives/ aang,roku,kyoshi(oh i just got this she was a earth bender) the avatar who killed the earth king, the carefree water avatar who lossed his beloved to a spirt (uhh,,,somehow) and the former airbender garu avatar who studyed the avatar state. we know much about them and in three out of these six lives thier oppisit element was the hardest for them to learn. they all said as much.
now there might be a point that she learned these three element do of the fact that she grew up surrounded by them masters of water,fire and earth and lacked a teacher for air. so that might be a point. while the other avatars said they lived with a certain type of bending all there lives till told they were the avatar.
so my take on this is that she knows the least about this element not that shes not good at it.

You have made the most sense to me out of this, I can actually agree with what you said wholeheartedly. I just wish they would explain it like that in the show, not just leave it so vague...

Fanatical Zealot

...they found lemurs and things still around, the bison was probs still there.

Also, Air Bisons are huge and probably live for hundreds of years.

Their babies are like elephant sized. O_o

In that way the gestation period is probably a few years, and Appa may have been a girl.

On a more humorous note, they may reproduce asexually, and Ang found more airbenders- possibly his kids lol

On a less humorous note, I hate the way Korra is portrayed and I hope she'll get cooler and maybe find some friends like Katarra and Sokka and stuff, that made the show for me.
This thread is going to be torn to threads too...the other girl couldn't back up herself up right.

Apocalyptic Cutie-Pie

8,200 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • The Perfect Setup 150
She's really good at bending, but that's it, As in, the physical side of bending. She even mentioned it herself in the show, that the spiritual side of bending doesn't come to her.
Think of Aang, who was very spiritual, and Korra, whose only concerned is blasting her opponents out of the ring.
Air could be considered "spiritual" or at least something similar since it has to do with meditation and inner freedom.
No wonder Korra finds it nearly impossible. XD

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
Soviet Titties x
_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_
First of all, I would like to state that I actually like the show, what they're doing, and pretty much everything except what I'm about to talk about.

This should be good.

Quote:
Now that that's out of the way, wtf??

Am I the only one who noticed how badly this show contradicted the original?? Let's start with the fact that she just...knew...how to bend like a master at about age 3. What?? The other avatars (going off of Aang and Roku) didn't even KNOW they were the avatar until told, but Korra's all "I'm the avatar so deal with it!" -.-

She's a prodigy. How is this a contradiction?

Quote:
Then there's the whole thing with air being her hardest element. NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Your hardest element is supposed to be the opposite of your NATURAL ELEMENT, NOT the opposite of your personality!! Aang's hardest was earth, Roku's was water, and I bet you that Kiyoshi's was air!! Going off of that, FIRE happened to just be as easy as breathing to her........really.......really??

Once again, she's a prodigy. The creators went for a more psychological approach since this show is going to be extremely short. In fact, this is refreshing because Korra is the exact opposite of what Aang was, and well, if she was similar to Aang, the show would get boring quick, because quite frankly it would be the same s**t we saw in the last series.

Quote:
Now it's time for the magic sky bison babies. How are you telling me that Appa had children when he was most definitely the last of the sky bison. It was made a well know fact that Appa was the last of his kind, multiple times in the series! Again I say -.-

Sky Bison could be like worms and fertilize themselves.
Or you know, maybe he wasn't the last of his kind. Maybe the people of the last series believed there were no more sky bison because they had never seen any. There could have been some hiding somewhere. Ever heard of a Coelacanth?

Quote:
Don't even get me started on those grandchildren. There's a such thing as too much comic relief guys.

Hey. Shut your whore mouth.
There had to be a replacement for Sokka.

Quote:
I think I hit every point I wanted to.

On a lighter note, anyone else bust out laughing when they saw old Katara?? No? Just me??

I raged when I saw her. Out of all the old characters, they had to choose her.
emotion_eyebrow

THis

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea Did you ever stop to think that maybe Korra is different than any Avatar that came before her because Aang managed to learn energybending? Something powerful enough to strip the bending from another person permanently may very well alter one's very soul. Then there's the whole thing where Aang was a fully realized Avatar, which apparently is something that none of his past lives never quite accomplished. Really, there's a lot more going on with Korra than Roku and the others, and I think it can all be traced back to the changes Aang wrought in himself.

Original Hoarder

11,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
oh...I'd also like to add this is a fantasy world. As in, made-up world. I think a lot of things are within the realm of possibility xDD

ThyOneGuy's Oppa

I laugh at you User Image

Tipsy Gekko

8,675 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Actually they explained the Aang found a small herd of Sky Bison hiding in one of the abandoned sky temples

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff