Welcome to Gaia! ::

OG Gaian

6,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Snowball Hero 200
First of all, I would like to state that I actually like the show, what they're doing, and pretty much everything except what I'm about to talk about.

Now that that's out of the way, wtf??

Am I the only one who noticed how badly this show contradicted the original?? Let's start with the fact that she just...knew...how to bend like a master at about age 3. What?? The other avatars (going off of Aang and Roku) didn't even KNOW they were the avatar until told, but Korra's all "I'm the avatar so deal with it!" -.-

Then there's the whole thing with air being her hardest element. NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Your hardest element is supposed to be the opposite of your NATURAL ELEMENT, NOT the opposite of your personality!! Aang's hardest was earth, Roku's was water, and I bet you that Kiyoshi's was air!! Going off of that, FIRE happened to just be as easy as breathing to her........really.......really??

Now it's time for the magic sky bison babies. How are you telling me that Appa had children when he was most definitely the last of the sky bison. It was made a well know fact that Appa was the last of his kind, multiple times in the series! Again I say -.-

Don't even get me started on those grandchildren. There's a such thing as too much comic relief guys.

I think I hit every point I wanted to.

On a lighter note, anyone else bust out laughing when they saw old Katara?? No? Just me??
_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_
First of all, I would like to state that I actually like the show, what they're doing, and pretty much everything except what I'm about to talk about.

This should be good.

Quote:

Am I the only one who noticed how badly this show contradicted the original?? Let's start with the fact that she just...knew...how to bend like a master at about age 3. What?? The other avatars (going off of Aang and Roku) didn't even KNOW they were the avatar until told, but Korra's all "I'm the avatar so deal with it!" -.-

She's a prodigy. How is this a contradiction?

Quote:
Then there's the whole thing with air being her hardest element. NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Your hardest element is supposed to be the opposite of your NATURAL ELEMENT, NOT the opposite of your personality!! Aang's hardest was earth, Roku's was water, and I bet you that Kiyoshi's was air!! Going off of that, FIRE happened to just be as easy as breathing to her........really.......really??

Once again, she's a prodigy. The creators went for a more psychological approach since this show is going to be extremely short. In fact, this is refreshing because Korra is the exact opposite of what Aang was, and well, if she was similar to Aang, the show would get boring quick, because quite frankly it would be the same s**t we saw in the last series.

Quote:
Now it's time for the magic sky bison babies. How are you telling me that Appa had children when he was most definitely the last of the sky bison. It was made a well know fact that Appa was the last of his kind, multiple times in the series! Again I say -.-

Sky Bison could be like worms and fertilize themselves.
Or you know, maybe he wasn't the last of his kind. Maybe the people of the last series believed there were no more sky bison because they had never seen any. There could have been some hiding somewhere. Ever heard of a Coelacanth?

Quote:
Don't even get me started on those grandchildren. There's a such thing as too much comic relief guys.

Hey. Shut your whore mouth.
There had to be a replacement for Sokka.

Quote:

On a lighter note, anyone else bust out laughing when they saw old Katara?? No? Just me??

I raged when I saw her. Out of all the old characters, they had to choose her.
emotion_eyebrow

Demonic Sex Symbol

12,125 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Survivor 150
I do get what your saying and i think they messed up big time. The only reason she can't master Air is cause of her personality, But waters pretty much the same thing, you have the flow like water and all that jazz! but nope, its easy! maybe shes a mary sue come to wreck the Avatar world!! 0_O

And maybe Appa is like a frog, in the sense that if there are no males (or females) they become the other and that's how babies are made!! and then BAM! baby Appas!!!!!

OG Gaian

6,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Snowball Hero 200
Soviet Titties x
_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

I get what you're saying about her being a prodigy all, but, the way they did it, it was like:
Hey, remember what we told you was true about all avatars and how each one has to overcome pretty much the same challenges at first?? PSYCHE!!
Soviet Titties x
_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

This should be good.

Quote:

She's a prodigy. How is this a contradiction?

Quote:

Once again, she's a prodigy. The creators went for a more psychological approach since this show is going to be extremely short. In fact, this is refreshing because Korra is the exact opposite of what Aang was, and well, if she was similar to Aang, the show would get boring quick, because quite frankly it would be the same s**t we saw in the last series.

Quote:

Sky Bison could be like worms and fertilize themselves.
Or you know, maybe he wasn't the last of his kind. Maybe the people of the last series believed there were no more sky bison because they had never seen any. There could have been some hiding somewhere. Ever heard of a Coelacanth?

Quote:

Hey. Shut your whore mouth.
There had to be a replacement for Sokka.

Quote:

I raged when I saw her. Out of all the old characters, they had to choose her.
emotion_eyebrow

Amen to that.
_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_
Soviet Titties x
_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

I get what you're saying about her being a prodigy all, but, the way they did it, it was like:
Hey, remember what we told you was true about all avatars and how each one has to overcome pretty much the same challenges at first?? PSYCHE!!

And it would have been boring if they had done the same thing, honestly.
:/

I like the contrast between the only two Avatars we really know: Aang and Korra.

Aang began with only knowing one element and having to learn the others, while Korra learned all three elements on her own and struggles deeply with one.
But hey, in all honesty if you dislike the show for those reasons, power to you.

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Regarding the sky bison issue, if you go to the Legend of Korra website on Nick, you will find information about how Aang found some more. emotion_yatta
Yeah, definitely agree with you about the inconsistencies running rampant. I love the idea of this show, the idea of making a series set 70 years into the future so we get to see what has changed and what Aang managed to make happen during his lifetime. It's great to be able to see how his efforts were not in vain after all, and that even though his whole element was wiped out, he could change the world and make it so that balance could be restored.

But dadgum, Korra contradicts so many things we learned in the original series, and it makes it a little... cheapened-like. Water bending should be very similar to air bending. When Katara was teaching Aang how to water bend, she even noted the similarities and talked about how he's only having trouble with earth bending because it's so drastically different from his natural element, and then talked about how quickly he's mastering water due to the fact that water bending is so similar to air.

So either Korra should suck at both water and air bending, or she should excel at both.

This series should not be the same as the original, because yes, it would be boring and a little redundant, but they should still try to uphold the same facts as being true for both series, since they are set in the same exact world.

31,765 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Abomination 100
Soviet Titties x
Ever heard of a Coelacanth?

emotion_eyebrow
Of course, they're the best fish to catch in Animal Crossing. cool lol lol
daisypug
Soviet Titties x
Ever heard of a Coelacanth?

emotion_eyebrow
Of course, they're the best fish to catch in Animal Crossing. cool lol lol

Those little bugger make me rich on there.
emotion_awesome

Heart Consumer

14,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I would have suggested parthenogenesis for Appa but from what I understand about it he would have had to be female for it to even apply in the first place.

Kurai Tensei's Husband

Salty Lunatic

9,500 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
It will be interesting to see the masses of rabid fans being beat off with lame excuses from the show's creators as to why they broke so many "rules" of the Avatar world. The only excuse I can think of is towards the end of the 3rd season, Aang runs in to a guru in one of the old air temples (Eastern one I think?). The guru mentions that Aang might not be the last of his kind after all, and sort of insinuated the same might be true of Apa and Momo.

Greedy Capitalist

_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

All the Avatars have the ability to bend all 4 elements. Whether they know they're the avatar or not makes no difference (although its a dead giveaway once you do more than one).

Korra happened to learn all three at a young age. That's not to say she mastered them, but she did realize she could do it. And as headstrong, fiery, and mild mannered as she is, I'm not surprised.

_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

In some situations, your personality and bending element are no different. In other cases, they are. Katara would've made a great Airbender, but Sokka would've made a great Earthbender, or Firebender. He'd utterly fail as a Waterbender.

Although Korra presumably knows how to move with the flow of Waterbending, I suspect her expertise lies in the ability to whip water forward like a weapon. And like her personality suggests, it's not surprising that with Waterbending, she'd seem so forceful and pushy.

_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

They found Sky Bison on some island somewhere. I think it was in the comics, I'm not sure.

_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

Remember they are the grandchildren of Aang. Just because they are young doesn't mean they don't hold the capabilities of being as serious as Katara or Tenzin.
iKarnezar
_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

All the Avatars have the ability to bend all 4 elements. Whether they know they're the avatar or not makes no difference (although its a dead giveaway once you do more than one).

Korra happened to learn all three at a young age. That's not to say she mastered them, but she did realize she could do it. And as headstrong, fiery, and mild mannered as she is, I'm not surprised.

_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

In some situations, your personality and bending element are no different. In other cases, they are. Katara would've made a great Airbender, but Sokka would've made a great Earthbender, or Firebender. He'd utterly fail as a Waterbender.

Although Korra presumably knows how to move with the flow of Waterbending, I suspect her expertise lies in the ability to whip water forward like a weapon. And like her personality suggests, it's not surprising that with Waterbending, she'd seem so forceful and pushy.

FINALLY someone who sees the whole "personality " thing the same way I do. Bending could be tied in with ones personality. Aang had such a difficult time earthbending because he had to be strong, forceful and go head to head with his opponent. Which at the time was earth. When in reality, he is a pacifist, peaceful boy who thinks of different, less forceful ways to deal with his problems.

Korra, is probably more into the attack part of waterbending and is probably also why, because of her personality that strong elements like fire and earth came so easily to her. Air is difficult, because it requires thinking about whats around you, instead of just using it to punch someone in the face.

Dangerous Visionary

_-_Violet of Rainbows_-_

Things kind of change.Even in real life spiritual teaching tend to change I mean compare the old Christian church to the ones we have now? ICK man. Also it could be both. Aang was such a pacifistic that he had trouble with both EARTH and FIRE! Two elements that were the very opposite of his nature given that they are both very forceful and often violent elements. (see how quickly we all forget things.) So yeah that part actually makes a lot of sense if you really think about it in more than one way.

Also Iroh lied about the dragons maybe the same thing happen with the sky bison. Never know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff