Welcome to Gaia! ::

Time-traveling Senshi

With the way Tarrlok acted in today's fourth episode of the series and the eagerness he had in creating his little Task Force I'm beginning to wonder, in all my discussing today, if this Task Force couldn't be the second coming of the Dai Li. As you may or may not recall in a Nick Magazine comic between Book Two and Book Three of ATLA Aang was visited in his unconscious dreams by Avatar Kiyoshi who told him about the creation of the Dai Li. She believed she was doing right by the city of Ba Sing Se in creating the group and brought forth a group that held a very tight control over everything that happened within the city.

I know it's only been a single episode but I'm seeing that happening all over again in Republic City with Tarrlok and his Task Force. Sure he's using them to target the Equalist group, but what about after Amon is arrested and stopped? Will he give up his Task Force in order to let there be balance in the city again or will he switch his focus to the bending mafia families? Will this Task force end up doing more harm than good? I don't really see Tarrlok's overall reasoning for wanting the Task Force being a good one. It may seem like a good idea in the beginning but Tarrlok has a lot of arrogance about him and he could end up using the Task Force to push his goals and gain more power within the city for himself.

So what do you guys think about this new Task Force of Tarrlok's?

Invisible Mage

13,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
Oh my god a thread not about shipping crap, I love you forever chibi. I was getting burnt out from all the stupid hate threads over Asami DX

That's certainly what I got out of it as well. The taskforce seemed more to be all about Tarrloks attempts at getting publicity, and getting himself better known and a stronger position similar to what Tenzin had said. The way it was being publicized in the news papers and how he was posing most of the time reminded me heavily of politics who go around trying to make their name awesome by doing all these things.

He makes this taskforce and it catches Amon? Could one even begin to fathom how that would go down? Either it would back fire on Tarrlok or even make him become the big bad if Amon is caught. But that'd be a bit too much like the Dai Li for my tastes and more hope.

Though what really makes me think is how are the Metal Benders group dealing with the taskforce? Are they in it together? Working on their own sort of under minding the metal benders group since they are more the police force? I mean, the Metal Benders are the police, but something doesn't seem right with how they aren't getting involved with the Equalist issue. I wonder if they're staying out of it and turning a blind eye to the Task Force....

So many things about the Task Force makes me want to see more. It doesn't really seem like they'd corrupt the same way the Dai Li did since that was established for a longer period of time while the Task Force doesn't seem like it'd be the first to corrupt... rather I glance to the MetalBenders for that.
You know what I've been wondering is how did he get the information about the secret chi blocking training ground? That is just suspious. But this does seem like something that could turn into the Dai Li thing, I hadnt thought about that. I cant wait for next saturday.

Time-traveling Senshi

Omikuji
Oh my god a thread not about shipping crap, I love you forever chibi. I was getting burnt out from all the stupid hate threads over Asami DX

That's certainly what I got out of it as well. The taskforce seemed more to be all about Tarrloks attempts at getting publicity, and getting himself better known and a stronger position similar to what Tenzin had said. The way it was being publicized in the news papers and how he was posing most of the time reminded me heavily of politics who go around trying to make their name awesome by doing all these things.

He makes this taskforce and it catches Amon? Could one even begin to fathom how that would go down? Either it would back fire on Tarrlok or even make him become the big bad if Amon is caught. But that'd be a bit too much like the Dai Li for my tastes and more hope.

Though what really makes me think is how are the Metal Benders group dealing with the taskforce? Are they in it together? Working on their own sort of under minding the metal benders group since they are more the police force? I mean, the Metal Benders are the police, but something doesn't seem right with how they aren't getting involved with the Equalist issue. I wonder if they're staying out of it and turning a blind eye to the Task Force....

So many things about the Task Force makes me want to see more. It doesn't really seem like they'd corrupt the same way the Dai Li did since that was established for a longer period of time while the Task Force doesn't seem like it'd be the first to corrupt... rather I glance to the MetalBenders for that.

Tarrlok does seem to be a person who thrives on being in the limelight that's for certain. I really don't see things going well between him and Lin where the Task Force is concerned. She seems like the kind of person who doesn't like having others step on her territory and at some point the Task Force will do just that and Korra is going to be caught in the middle because she said yes to Tarrlok. Right now Lin doesn't have much of a choice in the matter because the Task Force is council backed and since they make the laws in the city she has to follow what they say. Until something goes horribly wrong and the Task Force steps on the toes of the Republic City Police Department Lin has to concern herself with the crimes being committed by the Triple Threats and the other Bending Mafia families.

Backwoods Loiterer

I must like acting because I keep thinking everything is staged. I thought the underground chi blocking training could have been a plot by Tarrlok. It could have been a way to rope Korra into the whole thing or convince Korra to remain in the Task Force. Also those chi blockers went down way too easy compared to the last episode.
I may sound a bit dim, maybe he's amon, because we don't know if tarrlok stayed with tenzin the whole time waiting or if he disapeared, giving him time to get his troops to the island @_@
He could be dualing everything, so he can get support from the council and then take them down at the same time.

*crazy conspiracy theorist, please ignore

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
Ouhi_Emi
I must like acting because I keep thinking everything is staged. I thought the underground chi blocking training could have been a plot by Tarrlok. It could have been a way to rope Korra into the whole thing or convince Korra to remain in the Task Force. Also those chi blockers went down way too easy compared to the last episode.

I agree. I'll need to watch the episode over to be certain, but it really did feel staged. The takeover felt a little too easy in comparison to how badly Korra got taken down by the chi blockers in the last episode and at the end of this one. It could very well be part of an elaborate plot for Tarrlok to gain more publicity. Which, of course, makes me wonder what it'll be like when they actually face a serious threat.

Heckler

Oh man, I hadn't even thought about how they could be the next Dai Li. I think they definitely have potential for it and Tarrlok is the power-hungry, controlling type to see it done, but I kind of hope Amon comes out on top of that battle since I don't think I'd like to see Tarrlok as a main villain; I much prefer him as a sort of chaotic neutral.

While I was watching the episode I was mostly thinking about how it seemed like kind of the dumbest thing for him to do politically to declare a war on vigilantes while the bending mafia have free reign to piss around. I don't think he has any idea how big this movement is getting, or how it sends the wrong message entirely. He's basically going, "What, we're not oppressing you! That's why any attempt to rebel will be met with the icy fist of bender justice." Especially after taking down Lightning Bolt Zolt, leader of one of the worst triads in the city, I think Amon's popularity among the non-bender population would be up at that point. It also makes me suspect that he, or someone in authority, is working together with the triads. It wouldn't be surprising.

It seems like it'd be more important to crack down on criminal gangs or to invite a public forum to address the grievances and solutions from the non-bending population, but nope, arresting Amon would be quite the feather in his cap so fighting the people's movement it is.

Heckler

Ouhi_Emi
Well, this time the benders had the jump on them instead of the other way around, and Korra was somewhat more prepared to fight them i.e. sealing the gas canister in ice. There were also quite a few benders compared to the Equalists and they tried to catch them quickly, and from a distance, so they've already developed some techniques to fight chi blockers whereas with Korra and Mako in episode three were mostly taken by surprise. (Or at least Korra was, since she didn't have any idea that they had the power to temporarily paralyze her bending.)

Besides, I don't know how they could find volunteers to pretend to be chiblockers and tell them, "So we're going to seal you in a block of ice for a while to convince the Avatar to fight for us." Besides, the one that jumped down from the ceiling seemed legit.

Time-traveling Senshi

W4NT0N 50UP
Oh man, I hadn't even thought about how they could be the next Dai Li. I think they definitely have potential for it and Tarrlok is the power-hungry, controlling type to see it done, but I kind of hope Amon comes out on top of that battle since I don't think I'd like to see Tarrlok as a main villain; I much prefer him as a sort of chaotic neutral.

While I was watching the episode I was mostly thinking about how it seemed like kind of the dumbest thing for him to do politically to declare a war on vigilantes while the bending mafia have free reign to piss around. I don't think he has any idea how big this movement is getting, or how it sends the wrong message entirely. He's basically going, "What, we're not oppressing you! That's why any attempt to rebel will be met with the icy fist of bender justice." Especially after taking down Lightning Bolt Zolt, leader of one of the worst triads in the city, I think Amon's popularity among the non-bender population would be up at that point. It also makes me suspect that he, or someone in authority, is working together with the triads. It wouldn't be surprising.

It seems like it'd be more important to crack down on criminal gangs or to invite a public forum to address the grievances and solutions from the non-bending population, but nope, arresting Amon would be quite the feather in his cap so fighting the people's movement it is.

I do think Tarrlok believes this is the only way he can gain more political power. He sees Amon as the bigger threat than the bending mafia families and if he takes him down then Tarrlok could possibly take over as the sole leader of Republic City and the United Republic of Nations. He seems to be motivated by positions of power and likes to flaunt his wealth and influence, evidenced in all the gifts and the lavish party he threw in Korra's honor. From what I've seen it looks like Tarrlok believes that as long as Lin's police force is around he doesn't have to worry about the bending mafia families.

Heckler

Chibi Halo
          I do think Tarrlok believes this is the only way he can gain more political power. He sees Amon as the bigger threat than the bending mafia families and if he takes him down then Tarrlok could possibly take over as the sole leader of Republic City and the United Republic of Nations. He seems to be motivated by positions of power and likes to flaunt his wealth and influence, evidenced in all the gifts and the lavish party he threw in Korra's honor. From what I've seen it looks like Tarrlok believes that as long as Lin's police force is around he doesn't have to worry about the bending mafia families.

I dunno about him wanting to flaunt his wealth, he was trying to bribe Korra, not necessarily gifting her out of a desire to show off his influence, and the party is an appeal to her ego, as even Tenzin notes he's not really the type to throw a big do for the hell of it. (Although he does totally seem the type.)

And yeah, I know what you mean about Tarrlok doing it as a grab for more power. I just mean that politically it can't be great for his reputation among the regular populace, assuming they have any role at all in the government as the name Republic City would imply.

Intellectual Lunatic

Ouhi_Emi
I think Amon is allied with Tarrlok. He's just way too eager and knows too much.

Time-traveling Senshi

W4NT0N 50UP
Chibi Halo

I dunno about him wanting to flaunt his wealth, he was trying to bribe Korra, not necessarily gifting her out of a desire to show off his influence, and the party is an appeal to her ego, as even Tenzin notes he's not really the type to throw a big do for the hell of it. (Although he does totally seem the type.)

And yeah, I know what you mean about Tarrlok doing it as a grab for more power. I just mean that politically it can't be great for his reputation among the regular populace, assuming they have any role at all in the government as the name Republic City would imply.

He was definitely flaunting off the fact that he he has the means and connections to get things within the city in order to butter up Korra. The fact that he uses his political influence as a means to get what he wants makes him more of a concern than Amon. Even without his bending his position on the council and the connections he has among the well to do has a far more reaching grasp than the fact that he can bend water. A lot of people can bend water but only two of them are members of the council for the city. The fact that he's connected to captains of industry means he can push those with money to back anything he likes and can use Republic City's one percent to further whatever goals he has. Amon is all talk with some skill and knows how to play on people's fears to get what he wants but in the end even he can't stand up against the might of the corporate machine and the all mighty Yuan.

Heckler

Chibi Halo
          He was definitely flaunting off the fact that he he has the means and connections to get things within the city in order to butter up Korra. The fact that he uses his political influence as a means to get what he wants makes him more of a concern than Amon. Even without his bending his position on the council and the connections he has among the well to do has a far more reaching grasp than the fact that he can bend water. A lot of people can bend water but only two of them are members of the council for the city. The fact that he's connected to captains of industry means he can push those with money to back anything he likes and can use Republic City's one percent to further whatever goals he has. Amon is all talk with some skill and knows how to play on people's fears to get what he wants but in the end even he can't stand up against the might of the corporate machine and the all mighty Yuan.
We'll have to agree to disagree with that, I think Tarrlok downplays his power and influence in public to gain more of it, which is why Tenzin's always so annoyed with him because he can see through that charade. He tries to be humble and servile so he doesn't seem suspicious, and I don't think bribery counts as flaunting when the purpose is not necessarily to show off but to appeal to the target's sense of greed, or pride.

As for the rest, all good points but I don't really know what that has to do with what I've been saying, really. I don't think I've ever even mentioned his waterbending... I understand why he wants to go after Amon, it's a nice feather in his cap to take down a rebel and that prestige would allow him to push for god knows what, but it's not an incredibly politically sound maneuver. In the eyes of the public I think Amon is far more popular than Tarrlok is at the moment. For one thing Amon's actually done something about the bender triads while Tarrlok is picking a fight with ordinary people, just ramming home the point that benders will not give up their power without a fight and does not give one single damn about what the people want, and my next post was clarifying that. This is, as I said, assuming that the populace have any say in choosing political leaders.

It will certainly make him a golden boy among the city's elite, but I would add that Amon is certainly not any less frightening with the non-bending population at his back. In the end, the people make the government, and with sufficient force they can tear it down. Amon's influence can start a civil war, and I personally believe Amon is more immediately capable of plunging the city into anarchy than Tarrlok is of... well, being a tyrant or whatever he's after.

And like I said before, even taking in all those factors I'd prefer not to see Tarrlok upgraded to the main antagonist because I enjoy him more as a chaotic neutral, working for himself and only for himself, rather than have some evil machinations at work. If he's just after power for power's sake I can't say I'm too bothered by that, to be honest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff