Welcome to Gaia! ::

Welcoming Gaian

9,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
okay.. well my friend asked me this a few days ago and I cant get it out of my head. We all know Toph was blind.. and she used echo location with her feet to see the things around her... well could she use the echo location with her hands to give herself a ultra sound? along with anyone else?

Hunter

But her body isn't made of earth...and she can only sense vibrations through the earth via her feet. My brain...it hurts.

Heckler

Well, no because human beings physically can't hear ultrasound thus she can't use sonography to "see" inside somebody.

IRL Nerd

8,900 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Jacob 100
Echo location is the use of sound waves to determine how far away an object is. Toph does not do this.

She uses earth bending to determine what objects are located in her vicinity as long as they are vibrating. A key example of this inability to see is during the desert episode. Toph was essentially blinded because her earth bending by sight was unable to sufficiently vibrate the sand for her to see. She describes it as fuzzy vision.

And no she can't give herself an ultra sound because she isn't made of earth,

Welcoming Gaian

9,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
okay.. sorry my friend just wouldnt belive me. now I can tell them to read this. XD yay for the back up!
It's been stated that she could hear the heartbeat of a person even if they were a good few feet away. That was part of the reason Zuko was allowed into the group. She could hear his heartbeat and know he wasn't lying.

So I guess in a sense, she could identify whether someone was pregnant once the baby had a heartbeat.

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
She can feel vibrations through her feet and her hands. That's how she learned how to metal bend by touching the metal with her hands. Basically with her whole body as long as there are vibrations she can feel them. But no she can't do ultra sound. Course if the baby produces a heart beat or something, she could feel the baby, but she wouldn't know what it looked like. I like to think of what she does as what we do with heat vision and heart sensors in our guns. She gets a blurry understanding of what is going on around her and who the people are but not all of it.

Her world probably looks something like this to her -
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
This being heatvision. Her's is vibration vision.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Hearts_Are_Cold
It's been stated that she could hear the heartbeat of a person even if they were a good few feet away. That was part of the reason Zuko was allowed into the group. She could hear his heartbeat and know he wasn't lying.

So I guess in a sense, she could identify whether someone was pregnant once the baby had a heartbeat.

She could probably look inside anyone as long as they were standing on Earth, regardless of whether they had a beating-heart baby inside of them. Her ability to "see" through the Earth works somewhat like a bat's sonar, where the waves bounce off what is in front of them and forms an image to them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff