Welcome to Gaia! ::

Probably my last thread for this forum till s2.

Reader count 0.54545454545455 54.5% [ 24 ]
poll 0.45454545454545 45.5% [ 20 ]
Total Votes:[ 44 ]
1 2 >

Dangerous Visionary

Say what you will about the show but we all had some fun while it was currently airing. 3nodding While I do believe its more than time for this forum to be packed away in the achieve till season two, I do wish to get a couple things off my chest that I have been kind of holding back on Gaia at least. I'll use spoiler tags just because wink

Characters:
I have to say that after re-watching the series three times now I really do not like Korra as character. To me its always a shame when the fandom can flesh out a character more than the creator(s). I really did dislike the whole Disneyesque heel face turn she pulled at the end.I know its kind of a catch-22 but I really hate when strong female characters fall apart over guys or lose their abilities. You are still YOU Korra why you gotta act like UGH.

Can't really say much about the other members of team Avatar as a whole I really do find them all kind of shallow and just not that fleshed out. They were almost just characterless version of the characters from other shows not just ATLAB. I still like Asami though and like the balance she kind of brought to the team. Really hope they DO use her a bit more.

Kind of wish Lin, Tenzin, and the air babies were actually less badass in hindsight as they were so awesome that it made Korra, Mako, and Bolin nearly useless. Its like why the hell is this show about these kids when it could just be Avatar the legend of LIN! Really its just said that the minor characters will probably be more memorable than the main ones.

Really

Amon/Tarllock/Trolllock xd
OMGFS! I really think this is the first damn series I ever watched in where I love the bad guys a little more than the good guys. Kind of helps that you had ******** Steve Blum and DDB as the voice actors for these guys but hot damn good characters are good I think maybe Brkye writes like me! Like they must have totally wrote Korra from finale up cause there's just no way in hell Amon/Tarllock were so well done while the other main characters kind of lagged. Seriously best damn part of the series and sorry they did go out with a bang.

Setting:
They wasted a perfect good setting! Is it just me or do you feel a little cheated. Republic city is ******** awesome but I feel we never really got too see how awesome it really ways. Even with the game and such. Hopefully we see a bit more in season two but considering they blew it all to hell. EH it won't be the same even if it will be what six months later.

Overall:
It was kind of a let down and I can't really defend the shortcomings anymore. As some of you were right it was indeed way too rushed and wasn't thought out correctly. IMPO seems like the story and setting had more details than the actual characters and because the characters were soooooo very shallow the whole season suffered. Thus I'm kind of glad it got expanded as Korra as it was wouldn't had been a good legacy for ATLAB series. Better than that POS movie though.

Fandom/YOU:
At first you guys were cool and then the shipping came....I so wanted to kick a lot of you down a staircase in between the shipping wars and Asami bashing. However, then I discovered Tumblr and things got better. I do enjoy most of the memes, jokes, and headcaons. The fan art and one shot fan fics have been great too. So kudos. This really is a decent fandom to be in once I weeded out all the crazies. This really was a good series to discuss. I'll treasure our time.

Eh I just hope that season two is written much better and I'm glad that some of the writers of ATLAB will be returning as I think Bkrye are better at planning series and characters but not writing it all out. In fact I think some of my favorite esp of ATLAB weren't even written by them.

DatOtterGirl's Significant Otter

Sapphire Otter

Gotta get use to the fandom part. Just about where ever a shipping can be sensed, it's anchors ahoy. Ever single show out there has this sort of thing. You laugh with certain shippings, though.
I admit that I really dont like the new serties and I miss the Last Airbender!!! sad
I must admit, at first I really though the Legend of Korra was a joke, until I actually watched an episode of it. I was excited at first, but then quickly realized that it was going down the drain as the season progressed. I understand that it was supposed to be a miniseries, but they sacrificed character and plot development for poorly written romance which was, in my opinion, quite unnecessary. A good story, no matter what age group it is aimed at, doesn't need romance to make it a good story. I'm also kind of iffy on the ending. Yes, it was good to wrap up a miniseries, but really. They solved everything in the last three minutes of episode 12. There wasn't even some epic battle with Amon that ended him, like there was in ATLA. No... he just died in a suicide/homicide. Although his end DID go right in my feels...

OH. And then? And then Korra just magically gets her ending back after [I think this is implied] contemplating suicide. Well. I honestly think she got everything too easy. But as others have said, some Avatars had the easy life and didn't have to stop a bending revolution or a hundred-year long war.

OP, I agree with you on the setting. It had so much potential but they didn't get to show all the cool stuff about the city. It was mostly pro-bending and Narook's Noodlery all the way. Oh, and Air-Temple Island. I also have to say that I agree with you about the fandom. I wasn't a fan of shipping until I found tumblr... and now I ship Amorra and Lieumon so hard. ;-; I wasn't a fan of the ship wars though.

Alright, I'm done writing this. I need to go back to being Korra. wink

Fashionable Phantom

I waited for this series for what feels like about two years since I found out it was in production.
I waited patiently for it to come out and I'm glad that we were able to get more adventures in the Avatar world.
There are so many things about this series I love, but...

User Image

Korra seems to be the epitome of most girls these days that I see.
They claim to be strong, independent women {ok, sometimes they really are strong} but when it comes down to it they sell out for having a man. Sometimes you really can't help but fall for a guy, but given her situation she seriously should have just given up on him!
I know I've had to forget about guys that just weren't worth it.
Bolin really deserves to keep his new love interest the longest, because he was the one I most wanted to learn about when I heard about the new series. Now look where he is.
I really wish we had seen more Pro-Bending matches. That is literally the only sports game I would pay to attend.
I really don't see the entire Equalist thing blowing up {haha... ha... bad humor...} just like that. There's bound to still be rebels around the city.
Speaking of city, why the hell don't we ever get to go inside one of those giant skyscrapers??? Seriously, if I can't visit these places I still want some little snapshots here and there of just how advanced everything is!
And... That's about all I can come up with.

Honestly, I've had more fun reading this fanfiction than I have waking up every Saturday to watch the Korra episode of the week. No ****ing joke.
I love this show. I wish it were possible to marry some of the people we meet in Korra {Does Bolin have a last name? 8D} but I can only take so much of it.

Bryke, if you really wanted to make the fans happy {Makorra = Zutara} you'd actually steer clear of some of the mines you placed in your show. Because if you're too careless, they'll explode.

That's all of my rant...

snowlitas's Wife

OG Player

I actually learned about Avatar: The Last Airbender through Legend of Korra. I refused to watch the show until I watched all the TLA episodes. So I had a 3-day marathon. When I finally finished, I watched the entire Korra series online. It was good, I certainly got a lot of feels at the end, but it was sort of a letdown. I get it was only supposed to be one season from the start, but I just didn't think it was as GOOD as it could have been. Also, I kind of missed the long intro. I know that's a stupid thing to miss, but I did!
We got it for the first two episodes and then the rest was just, "Only the Avatar can Master all Four Elements!"

Tenzin, Lin, The Airbending Kids, and Bolin are all my favorite. That's it. They were awesome, the rest... eh.

Asami just annoyed the crap out of me. She seemed whiny, desperate for attention, and similar to what xXToTheSky said, she acts like most girls you see nowadays. Pretty, but still determined to be independent.

I could rant about this longer, but I really don't feel like it.

Entrepreneur

10,325 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100

Characters

Korra: She's a douche, that's why she's perfect for Mako. She has a arrogant attitude. She treats
the people she's closest too like kings/queens, the rest, they're garbage or benefits to make her
look better.

Mako: I actually liked this guy this first 3 episodes. But then he became just as bad as Korra. He
blindes Korra to make a him look like hero. There more things I can say about him, but Ill just
move on.

Bolin: He was someone I actually liked through out the season, but sadly, not enough screen time.

Asami: I didn't really have much care for this character at first, but then she showed she has
some skills. The only bad thing I can say about her is that she get's to butthurt.

Amon/Noat.: I wish he could have been deaper than just a waterbender...As far as
character goes, he was boss until he took of his mask. Once that mask came off, he started
acting like me on Saturday mornings, lazy and just taking everything that happens.

Tarrlok: He was actually my favorite character. He had really good character devolpement. If it
wasen't for the fact that he's a little to forcefull, he would have made better Avatar than Korra.

Other characters: They we're fine.

Setting

Time: I kinda miss the cultural side of Avatar, but still, the time was fine.

Place: Really cool looking city, but it lacked official places.

The Story

So much potentiol lost, but I blame Nick for rushing them.

Fanbase

The fanbase was great until the shipper wave came in. Then it came all about guessing who the
main antagonist is. Very soon it felt like I was in a 2nd Naruto fanbase.

Sorry for the s**t load of typos and grammar mistakes.
Things I want to admit? Oh boy...

1. Mako SUCKS. Hated him from the beginning and hated the OBVIOUSNESS that him and Korra were the shipping.
2. I don't hate Asami. In fact, I feel bad for her about all that happened with her father and that she has such a shitty boyfriend as Mako.
3. Bolin is my favorite character and, after the date episode, he was SEVERELY thrown aside to make room for Makorra/Morra/Koko/MakoxKorra
4. The ending was amazingly dark but amazingly OVERSHADOWED its main character. Korra had nothing to do with it and, generally, it felt rushed.
5. I worry what they'll do for season 2 since Amon's not going to be the villain.
6. Lin Bei Fong was my hero.
7. I am the leaf.

Greedy Capitalist

Tahno's my second favorite character, but I hope he doesn't return. How little he's shown shows that he wasn't meant to be a main character in the long run. However, due to his popularity, there is a chance he will be shown again, but as we've seen from the kind of material Michael and Bryan produce when trying to respond to their fans desires ("The Spirit of Competition" wink Tahno will be ******** destroyed.

I don't want that to happen to Tahno. emotion_donotwant

My favorite character is Amon. Not Noatok. There's a difference.
Makorra's not THAT bad of a couple, but it's insanely poorly executed. Given that the two might have had some alone time that wasn't shown, but it was hardly EVER shown. It was only in moments where, imo, it made both of them look horrible.
I still dislike that they're dating in S2 and it will give me the oogies, if they act anything like Katara and Aang in The Promise.

...I think Meelo is a really ugly child. (though, I do know he was meant to not be cute at all.)

I've already admitted this several times...ASAMI SATO CAN HAVE ALL MY LOVE.
emotion_bigheart

I miss that the setting wasn't really explored. I know in 12 episodes, you can't have much, but with a place like Republic City, so drastically different than ATLA, some places should actually be memorable.

Melodious Gentlewoman

25,990 Points
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
My favorite character's Bolin. Nuff said! emotion_bigheart

Dangerous Visionary

RandomKate
Gotta get use to the fandom part. Just about where ever a shipping can be sensed, it's anchors ahoy. Ever single show out there has this sort of thing. You laugh with certain shippings, though.

Very true and most of the time if the fandom really sucks I will just ignore it altogether. Like Death Note was a HT I wouldn't post in it at all. In fact I don't think I have posted in a DN thread in a good long while.

Dangerous Visionary

Maiden Korra
I must admit, at first I really though the Legend of Korra was a joke, until I actually watched an episode of it. I was excited at first, but then quickly realized that it was going down the drain as the season progressed. I understand that it was supposed to be a miniseries, but they sacrificed character and plot development for poorly written romance which was, in my opinion, quite unnecessary. A good story, no matter what age group it is aimed at, doesn't need romance to make it a good story.

Bold for truth! Thank you. I think the series would have been a lot better without the forced romance thrown in our faces. Or they could have done way more subtle like yeah this character and this character like each other but we may never know.... Kind of like how in Young Justice or rather the first series. Even though yeah there's a lot of romance in both of those examples NOT every character is paired up some relationships are made clear and others are left up to our imagination.

Quote:
I'm also kind of iffy on the ending. Yes, it was good to wrap up a miniseries, but really. They solved everything in the last three minutes of episode 12. There wasn't even some epic battle with Amon that ended him, like there was in ATLA. No... he just died in a suicide/homicide. Although his end DID go right in my feels...

More like last five min *counted* cause I really thought it was going go over time when I was recording it on DVR and was flipping out. emotion_facepalm Yeah even for a miniseries that was kind of sloppily. Now it could have still ended with her meeting Aang but instead of giving her back her bending it just cuts off. Then the audience gets to decide what happens after that.

Quote:
OH. And then? And then Korra just magically gets her ending back after [I think this is implied] contemplating suicide. Well. I honestly think she got everything too easy. But as others have said, some Avatars had the easy life and didn't have to stop a bending revolution or a hundred-year long war.

I was am one of those people. *is a little conflicted* While Korra did have an easier task (for now) and a lot of help from people. So did Aang if you really think about it. While opposites in personalities they did have a lot of similarities too in what they had to go through and how they had to act selfless in order to get the job done. *Kind of* They both had a group of people watching out for them and got to all the glory with little effort. I think overall Aang had an easier time because he was more spiritual than Korra but had issue getting physical. So then at the end a freaking Lion-Turtle gave him the biggest cop-outs in animation history. stare
Oh and LOL while I was watching the series finale of ATLAB I notice that Korra and Aang were both kind of socially inept as well. Him being trapped in an ice berg for 100 years and Korra being trapped in an her icy cage for most of her life. Still its sad how you need Aang to balance other Korra's issues. Seems like she should stand on her own as you didn't really need to like or know too much about the other Avatars to like or dislike Aang. Or maybe that Fridge brilliance on the writers part?

Quote:
OP, I agree with you on the setting. It had so much potential but they didn't get to show all the cool stuff about the city. It was mostly pro-bending and Narook's Noodlery all the way. Oh, and Air-Temple Island. I also have to say that I agree with you about the fandom. I wasn't a fan of shipping until I found tumblr... and now I ship Amorra and Lieumon so hard. ;-; I wasn't a fan of the ship wars though.

Alright, I'm done writing this. I need to go back to being Korra. wink

Aw thank you. I mean looking at Bryan Tumblr and playing the Nick Game. I still feel kind of cheated that we didn't get to look and explore the city as in-depth as we could have. Why couldn't they had broken up more Chi-blocker training camps or have Soto run one of the big old buildings or something. Yeah Tumblr helped sugar coat some of the shipping and at least on Tumblr you could nearly ignore that whole part of the fandom and just view headcanons or RPs. LOL.

Well thanks for posting. It was fun reading your reply.

Dangerous Visionary

xXToTheSky

Korra seems to be the epitome of most girls these days that I see.
They claim to be strong, independent women {ok, sometimes they really are strong} but when it comes down to it they sell out for having a man. Sometimes you really can't help but fall for a guy, but given her situation she seriously should have just given up on him!
I know I've had to forget about guys that just weren't worth it.
Bolin really deserves to keep his new love interest the longest, because he was the one I most wanted to learn about when I heard about the new series. Now look where he is.
I really wish we had seen more Pro-Bending matches. That is literally the only sports game I would pay to attend.

THIS THIS THIS! Really all your rant was awesome and I may get back to it again later but this part right here right in the feels and I would tip my hat off to you if I had one. Seriously, this is why I hate when writers feel the need to ship Wonder Woman with other male JL members because clearly women are only GOOD characters if they have a man. rolleyes Yeah I would totally watch a spin off series just about Pro-Bending. LOL and I don't even like sports either.

Dangerous Visionary

Sunny Iridescence
I actually learned about Avatar: The Last Airbender through Legend of Korra. I refused to watch the show until I watched all the TLA episodes. So I had a 3-day marathon. When I finally finished, I watched the entire Korra series online. It was good, I certainly got a lot of feels at the end, but it was sort of a letdown. I get it was only supposed to be one season from the start, but I just didn't think it was as GOOD as it could have been. Also, I kind of missed the long intro. I know that's a stupid thing to miss, but I did!
We got it for the first two episodes and then the rest was just, "Only the Avatar can Master all Four Elements!"

Tenzin, Lin, The Airbending Kids, and Bolin are all my favorite. That's it. They were awesome, the rest... eh.

Asami just annoyed the crap out of me. She seemed whiny, desperate for attention, and similar to what xXToTheSky said, she acts like most girls you see nowadays. Pretty, but still determined to be independent.

I could rant about this longer, but I really don't feel like it.

They had to cut the intro for time I think. (Nick told them to do so I believe) Yeah not that silly of thing I really did like the new intro as well but I guess it does kind of get redundant. I did like the "previously" narration a lot better than the last series. LOL everyone loves the air babies. Aw long rants are loved too. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff