Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
I've found Korra to be really, really well done so far. The writing is sophisticated, the world is a natural extension of the Avatar-verse, and I think it's hella funny.

Hygienic Gekko

7,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
Suicidesoldier#1
YEAH BUT BACKGROUND.

If we're going to be in Republic city THE WHOLE TIME why don''t I know anything about it. D:<

How do you know they're going to be in republic city the whole time? I mean, come on. Think about it. WERE THREE EPISODES IN. It's not like they can go anywhere else yet. And plus, Amaan still has to rally more supporters. herp, dee derp.

Shapeshifter

W4NT0N 50UP
We don't even know how big the world of Avatar is so I doubt they will give specifics. All you really need to know is that it's really big, it's very much populated, and as for where it is I don't think it matters exactly? It's somewhere in the middle and close to the sea. Why do you need to know these things? You don't need to know how big or how populated or even where Gotham City is to enjoy Batfam books. It's nice to know but not in any way necessary and even if the writers never told us I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about it.

we actually do know where it is. they zoom in from world view to Republic city in i think the first episode. and at the very least you know it's on the Earth Kingdom continent.

if this guy is serious i'm not quite sure how he reads/watches anything. rofl what story actually gives the demographics and geography of the places they go in show?
As far as I'm concerned, the first two episodes highlighted an incredible plotline that could have lasted maybe five or six episodes and then moved on to other city based debates. The old show had a tendency to be childish, an approach this didn't appear to be taking. Following this last episode, with a city that suddenly had no people at dark, with a lack of collateral damage or repercussions for acting out in a highly evolved society, I have my doubts. The appearance of a 'main villain' with no semblance of them being a realistic character, rather falling into the American superhero trope of being some super powerful always plotting character, has given me worry. Now I'm suspecting they intend to spend the entire show with Korra playing batman with superpowers. Plus the way they've turned bending into the equivalent of throwing ninja stars is silly. What happened to the uniqueness between the elements?

Shadowy Rogue

9,675 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Partygoer 500
It's a completely new series of course it isn't going to be like the first one and you shouldn't have expected it to. The creators were trying to go for a more mature story line apart from the first. I think so far they are doing just fine and it has enough comedy. It's not suppose to be some comedic adventure to a new city full of fun giggling people. The tone of this story is a lot more serious,go watch Spongebob and get your giggles in sir

Heckler

LokiLB
we actually do know where it is. they zoom in from world view to Republic city in i think the first episode. and at the very least you know it's on the Earth Kingdom continent.

if this guy is serious i'm not quite sure how he reads/watches anything. rofl what story actually gives the demographics and geography of the places they go in show?
Ah, is that so? I figured it might have shown it since I remembered the map in the opening but I couldn't find a screenshot so I assumed I'd imagined it. ;;

But yeah half the complaints from OP are because they weren't paying attention and half are just utterly trivial. We're basically told all we need to know to get by in that episode. It's a TV show, not a novel or a manga where exposition can at least be shoved into a couple pages or a textbox to start us off, they have set restrictions on time and I believe it's very impressive that they've managed to shove so much information just from a couple of scenes and snatches of dialogue.

Heckler

Heliumbaby
As far as I'm concerned, the first two episodes highlighted an incredible plotline that could have lasted maybe five or six episodes and then moved on to other city based debates. The old show had a tendency to be childish, an approach this didn't appear to be taking. Following this last episode, with a city that suddenly had no people at dark, with a lack of collateral damage or repercussions for acting out in a highly evolved society, I have my doubts. The appearance of a 'main villain' with no semblance of them being a realistic character, rather falling into the American superhero trope of being some super powerful always plotting character, has given me worry. Now I'm suspecting they intend to spend the entire show with Korra playing batman with superpowers. Plus the way they've turned bending into the equivalent of throwing ninja stars is silly. What happened to the uniqueness between the elements?
There's a very good reason people aren't out in the city after dark. The population appears to be made up mainly of average guys and bender gangs. The non-powered people will stay way inside to avoid getting caught in the crossfire of these gangs if they're not visiting secret rallies, so it's not exactly ridiculous that the streets are empty. And with no witnesses to the collateral damage I don't know that Korra will get into any trouble. Although she still might, I dunno. We'll have to see in the next episode, although I imagine she'll be pardoned given the information she's bringing back.

I don't think a powerful, scheming main villain is strictly an American superhero trope? I believe I've had my share of European and Japanese media and I think I can say with some confidence that's a general action/adventure trope. Most villains are powerful and have some kind of evil plan, often involving the main character. They wouldn't be very good villains otherwise. Also I don't really understand how Korra would be Batman with superpowers, since she kind of tried the vigilante route and was arrested almost immediately. Care to elaborate?

As for the bending, I don't see it as diminished or misused at all from the first series. It's a more modern style in a very different environment from the open fields and nameless destructible villages of the last series, with less flourish and more conservative in its movement. That's not a bad thing, that's a "times have changed and being kung fu jesus isn't deemed an appropriate way to behave in public anymore"). Also, the characters we're following are not masters of the art like the ones in A:TLA. They're more realistically portraying people who have neither focused their lives on training or, in Korra's case, are not used to the new styles of fighting.

Fashionable Shopper

W4NT0N 50UP
Suicidesoldier#1
But there's still a lot more- how big is the city, how many people are there, where is it etc.

What's this pro bending stuff, when was it made, what exactly are the rules etc.

There's still a lot unanswered.

It would be nice to know more.
We don't even know how big the world of Avatar is so I doubt they will give specifics. All you really need to know is that it's really big, it's very much populated, and as for where it is I don't think it matters exactly? It's somewhere in the middle and close to the sea. Why do you need to know these things? You don't need to know how big or how populated or even where Gotham City is to enjoy Batfam books. It's nice to know but not in any way necessary and even if the writers never told us I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about it.

I'm assuming pro-bending was a way for benders to still practice their skills during a time of peace when they wouldn't be fighting each other. I have no idea when it was made but I'm assuming it's been established for a while because they have that gorgeous huge building dedicated to an arena and Korra has known about it since forever apparently. The rules seem fairly simple to me, but if you're still confused why not look it up in the Avatar wiki?

These are all really interesting questions if you happen to be writing a textbook about Republic City but I don't see how any of this is plot-relevant?

And again, only three episodes in.

User ImagePersonally I think Pro-Bending was invented as an advanced game of the earthbending tournaments Toph has partaken in when she was little.

Heckler

LilPinkCandy
[User ImagePersonally I think Pro-Bending was invented as an advanced game of the earthbending tournaments Toph has partaken in when she was little.
Oh, actually that would make a lot of sense! /rubs chin

Heckler

LilPinkCandy
User ImagePersonally I think Pro-Bending was invented as an advanced game of the earthbending tournaments Toph has partaken in when she was little.
Also, bit of advice but do you know the code for text-wrapping to images?

You just need to do [imgleft]url[/imgleft] instead of [img]url[/img]

User Image

So now your post looks like this instead!

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
It's annoying how people compare two different series.
Aang was Aang, Korra is Korra: they're two different people, polar opposites of one another and I'd rather not have it any other way.
Also, the producers/writers only have 26 episodes to work with, unless fans declare for more.
They'd rather not risk having the show yanked off tv mid plot, so they will have to work with what they got now.
Which means that things will be more fast paced.
And so far, we only saw three episodes, so there is more information to come.
Just give it time.
I'm not really feeling the series either because it just seems you got thrown into it. I just can't explain why I really don't enjoy this series that much.

Aged Gaian

Suicidesoldier#1
YEAH BUT BACKGROUND.

If we're going to be in Republic city THE WHOLE TIME why don''t I know anything about it. D:<

I thought everything that needed to be explained about Republic City was either directly addressed, or eventually explained through the 1st episode.

Country girl meets a city with it's highs and lows, but the lows are so low that they paint a negative outlook on the City. It's technologically advanced, etc.

They've explained everything pretty well if you've taken the time to sit and genuinely pay attention. It's even blatantly hinted that the avatar has heavily gone down in overall popularity and support.

Aged Gaian

3,350 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gaian 50
Suicidesoldier#1
YEAH BUT BACKGROUND.

because nothing has happened yet........we arent far enough in the series to really know anything....dont be impatient XD

Fanatical Zealot

TheDrunkenApothecary
Suicidesoldier#1
YEAH BUT BACKGROUND.

I thought everything that needed to be explained about Republic City was either directly addressed, or eventually explained through the 1st episode.

Country girl meets a city with it's highs and lows, but the lows are so low that they paint a negative outlook on the City. It's technologically advanced, etc.

They've explained everything pretty well if you've taken the time to sit and genuinely pay attention. It's even blatantly hinted that the avatar has heavily gone down in overall popularity and support.

Yeah, that's a pretty shallow story plot.

I was hoping for idk, information about the current whereabouts.

There hasn't even been a zoomed out picture of the city.

I don't know what the bender to normal ratio is, how many people are really into the equalizer movement, ANYTHING.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff