Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shopper

CreativeButLazy
LilPinkCandy

I'm not sure that sand is a subclass per-say because sand IS earth. I would say its not something Toph was exposed to as a child which is what made it difficult for her. After all, the sandbenders were called sandbenders because they lived in the sand. That was simply the earth around them. I think if Toph was born in the desert then sand would have been the earth she would have learned to bend. I don't see it as a subclass but a type of earth. Metal, I see that as a subclass simply because it is refined earth and therefore not easily bendable.

I would call sandbending a subclass. Even though sand is still basically earth, bending it is still different enough from bending solid earth to grant it subclass status. If you look at the sandbenders, their style is completely different from the typical earthbender, and it more closely resembles the styles used waterbending and airbending. It's still earthbending, but it's still a different type of earthbending which is what a subclass is. Sure a typical earthbender could be able to do it if they were taught, but they can also be taught to metalbend all the same, therefore if metalbending is a subclass then sandbending should be too.
User ImageI disagree. I disagree mainly because they were not taught traditional earthbending beforehand. Their home is the desert so they bended the earth they had to bend. So if sandbending is a subclass then earthbending would be a subclass for the sandbenders. I don't believe that sandbending is a subclass because the bending the sandbenders do is sandbending. A metalbender first learns earthbending and then eventually may progress to metalbending however Toph was the only bender to progress to sandbending- not the sandbenders. They have always sandbended. Of course their style is different because they are from a completely different region than the earthbenders. I suppose that sandbending is a subclass for those who have not always sandbended but I wouldn't always call it a subclass.

Pazoo's Fangirl

Shy Specter

CreativeButLazy
The only subclass I could possibly think for airbending is maybe soundbending?

I think that would be very difficult to pull off, but it sure does sound cool! whee

Pazoo's Fangirl

Shy Specter

LilPinkCandy
Nightly Lullaby
Hacker Edward Tivrusky IV
The swamp people are water benders, not earth benders. That's why the can paddle boats with bending.

Oops, my bad.
User Image

I'm not sure that sand is a subclass per-say because sand IS earth. I would say its not something Toph was exposed to as a child which is what made it difficult for her. After all, the sandbenders were called sandbenders because they lived in the sand. That was simply the earth around them. I think if Toph was born in the desert then sand would have been the earth she would have learned to bend. I don't see it as a subclass but a type of earth. Metal, I see that as a subclass simply because it is refined earth and therefore not easily bendable.

I don't really see there being an air subtype simply because i'm not sure there is a good one. I would have chosen lightening because usually it comes from the sky, however they gave that to fire. I guess they could throw electricity but that's pretty much the same as lightening. You would need something air related.....

You do make a valid point with the sand-bending. I suppose it would be a subclass for a "traditional" benders like Toph, but since sand-bending would be traditional for sandbenders it renders that argument invalid.

Fashionable Shopper

Nightly Lullaby
LilPinkCandy
Nightly Lullaby
Hacker Edward Tivrusky IV
The swamp people are water benders, not earth benders. That's why the can paddle boats with bending.

Oops, my bad.
User Image

I don't really see there being an air subtype simply because i'm not sure there is a good one. I would have chosen lightening because usually it comes from the sky, however they gave that to fire. I guess they could throw electricity but that's pretty much the same as lightening. You would need something air related.....

You do make a valid point with the sand-bending. I suppose it would be a subclass for a "traditional" benders like Toph, but since sand-bending would be traditional for sandbenders it renders that argument invalid.
User ImageYeah because it would be what they know and they didn't have anything they learned before that. Like, Azula didn't learn lightening first- she learned fire and Katara learned bloodbending after learning waterbending. However, the sandbenders didn't have other earth to bend- only sand which would make it traditional to them like you said. I view subclasses as something that would be harder or more powerful than the original. I don't really see sand as more powerful or harder with the exception of Toph. Learning sand was difficult for her at first because of her blindness and the sand made everything fuzzy. I believe sandbending was a subclass for her but not for the sandbenders.....they are called sandbenders for a reason lol. biggrin

Fashionable Shopper

Nightly Lullaby
CreativeButLazy

I think that would be very difficult to pull off, but it sure does sound cool! whee
User ImageI'm not even sure how you would do that. I don't see that as something that would gain anything useful to the show to be honest. I think that you could make air more powerful and learn to fly without gliding or something else super powerful. But honestly, you don't want the characters to be... invincible.

Pazoo's Fangirl

Shy Specter

LilPinkCandy
Nightly Lullaby
CreativeButLazy

User ImageI'm not even sure how you would do that. I don't see that as something that would gain anything useful to the show to be honest. I think that you could make air more powerful and learn to fly without gliding or something else super powerful. But honestly, you don't want the characters to be... invincible.

Goodness no, I don't want them to be invincible, but with the soundbending I suppose I was thinking of stuff like Sonic booms I guess? That wouldn't really be a subclass though... I suppose all you can really do with air is make it more powerful sweatdrop

DatOtterGirl's Significant Otter

Sapphire Otter

Air has no current subclass. The only closest known one would be Cloudbending.

Fashionable Shopper

Nightly Lullaby
LilPinkCandy
Nightly Lullaby
CreativeButLazy

Goodness no, I don't want them to be invincible, but with the soundbending I suppose I was thinking of stuff like Sonic booms I guess? That wouldn't really be a subclass though... I suppose all you can really do with air is make it more powerful sweatdrop
User ImageI know in D&D the air spells tend to be something like electricity as its something you'd encounter during a storm. Its the only thing I can think of but its been assigned to fire already. I suppose a sonic boom would work but I really don't see that as air. I honestly think that air is potentially one of the most powerful elements. Aang was able to manipulate the wind strong enough to make whirls of air....

Premium Tycoon

8,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
RandomKate
Air has no current subclass. The only closest known one would be Cloudbending.

Cloud's are actually water because in the episode, The Fortuneteller, Aang and Katara bend the clouds and shape them to prove the fortuneteller wrong who said the town near the volcano would not be harmed by the volcano. Do you remember? Sokka and Aang saw that the volcano was almost full to the brim with lava and the fortuneteller was wrong. So, Aang and Katara decided to change the shape of the clouds and tell the fortuneteller to read the clouds and tell the fortune of the town/village again.
So, Cloudbending can't be a subclass. Let's see if there are any other subclasses for Air. Maybe creating vacuum or something? I really hope they come up with a great subclass for Air and Korra invents it smile

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Doesn't swamp belong to water?
Anyway, maybe being able to fly could be air's? I don't know...

DatOtterGirl's Significant Otter

Sapphire Otter

Lady Madelina
Cloud's are actually water because in the episode, The Fortuneteller, Aang and Katara bend the clouds and shape them to prove the fortuneteller wrong who said the town near the volcano would not be harmed by the volcano. Do you remember? Sokka and Aang saw that the volcano was almost full to the brim with lava and the fortuneteller was wrong. So, Aang and Katara decided to change the shape of the clouds and tell the fortuneteller to read the clouds and tell the fortune of the town/village again.
So, Cloudbending can't be a subclass. Let's see if there are any other subclasses for Air. Maybe creating vacuum or something? I really hope they come up with a great subclass for Air and Korra invents it smile

Cloudbending is actually for both Waterbenders and Airbenders.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff