Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Citizen

12,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
I don't see her as black.
I see her as a pretty tough girl with an equally pretty tan.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
miamibaby13
Xiam
miamibaby13
I love the fact she's black. Finally, a lead character my color

But she's not black! gonk

So? She still has the same color as my skin. doesnt matter if shes native american shes still a person of color like meee. I'm not fully black either.

Yeah... go ahead and try to tell an Indian they're black. xp
Dang, you guys sure have your panties in a twist! She's inuit, and I've NEVER heard anyone call an inuit black. Not to mention Katara was also inuit, and from the same tribe, and nobody got in a tizzy over her. I agree Xiam, go ahead and try to call an inuit black.

Beloved Raider

5,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
Xiam
miamibaby13
Xiam
miamibaby13
I love the fact she's black. Finally, a lead character my color

But she's not black! gonk

So? She still has the same color as my skin. doesnt matter if shes native american shes still a person of color like meee. I'm not fully black either.

Yeah... go ahead and try to tell an Indian they're black. xp

Nah. i know shes not black. but seriously alot of people are freaking out about it and i dont see a problem. when i first saw the water tribe i was like o.o eskimo with blue eyes? but if everyone else is complaining shes black then i still dont care if shes black bc its just a colorrrr.

Heroic Animal

Its2Whorerible
its just a cartoon, omg people need to stop being sensitive

I agree. I don't care if she's green with polka dots. I've got no problem.
I see nothing in your eyes, and the more I see the less I like.
I know nothing of your kind, and I won't reveal your evil mind.
So sacrifice yourself and let me have what's left.
I know that I can find, the fire in your eyes.

I'm going all the way, get away please.

There was someone who said that while they agree, Korra is Inuit, that they wished the show would have more diversity, or animated shows in general should. That makes no sense. While TLA and LoK are not "anime" per say, a lot of people are comparing it to Japanese anime. They then complain that it should have more diversity, but that is stupid.
The creators already said it's based on various Asian cultures, which means they would not have Americans or African Americans. Therefore, no one is even white and it would make no sense if they were black.
It's the same with anime. Sometimes they do have a black/hispanic/caucasian character, but remember they would be considered foreigners in Japan. Anime consists almost entirely of Asian characters because that's the country it was created in. So don't wish for more diversity when it wouldn't make any sense.

You take the breath right out of me.
You left a hole where my heart should be.
You've gotta fight just to make it through.
'Cuz I will be the death of you.

Beloved Noob

Ellehk
Hm.. I always thought she'd be considered Native American or Native Alaskan. Not that it matters either way to me, she's still awesome no matter what. :3

6,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Cart Raider 100
eskimos can have darker skin

Intellectual Lunatic

She looked really light in the last episode.

Rainbow Gekko

9,300 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Tenshi no Kanashimi
I don't think there are any African Americans in Avatar... I don't ever recall seeing any that is. The water tribe are obviously all based on the Inuit people, so they're all dark skinned. Just because Korra is a little bit darker than some of them doesn't mean she is black.

It's a shame though really. They need to add more diversity to cartoons. Especially to the main casts.

I can compare. In the Hispanic community being of a variety of brown shades when one person is noticeably darker than everyone eslse, they'll get nicknamed Negra.
My aunt was called that before and still is sometimes because she was darker in her youth.
Negra= black

Kawaii Shoujo

11,600 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Okay, even though I agree that she's definitely Inuit, whatever race she is doesn't really matter. It's annoying how people favor others just based on their ethnicity. It's not right.

Cunning Fox

lol I'm sure there's similar debate over Yoruichi from Bleach
            But must we always feel the need to label things?

Avatar is obviously supposed to be culturally eclective
            Can't we just leave it at her being of a darker skin tone?
thunderandsmoke
I don't understand all the disgruntled feelings about Korra and her nationality. For one, ITS A CARTOON!! I mean jeez, she could have been purple! who cares. Secondly, why should a character's race matter if you connect with the character or if you like the character. People who have an issue with this are just racist, and its sad. Nobody sees anyone as individuals anymore first and foremost. All anyone sees is race.
For one, I think its pretty awesome. Korra's creators were taking a huge risk with this, and I loved that they made the main protagonist not only female, but a female of color, whether she's black or Eskimo or Native American.

I know its just a very small minority of individuals who take issue with this, but its just a bit disheartening. Instead of just enjoying the show for its gorgeous animation, brilliant choreography, excellently cast, and intriguing plot, they're harping on non-issues and being ignorant. sigh...

Sorry for the paragraph rant guys.
Ellehk
Melancholy Wish
Ellehk
Hm.. I always thought she'd be considered Native American or Native Alaskan. Not that it matters either way to me, she's still awesome no matter what. :3
Korra I think we can safely assume isn't Indian. And by American standards she would be black based on looks.

She doesn't look Black to me. She actually does look more Native Alaskan to me than Black. Her facial features don't look Black at all, in my opinion. Just because she has darker skin doesn't mean she's Black.

But like I said, it doesn't really matter what her race is. And really.. she's not Black or Native American or anything like that. She's Water Tribe.
I highly doubt that the races in the Avatar world are the same as the ones in the real world.

" Her facial features don't look Black at all"
I probably shouldn't say anything on this, but I will since I'm an ethnic studies major, but a lot of you guys just trying to prove that she isn't black, but Inuit/Native are doing it in a very racist sounding way....Blacks/African-American/West Indians/Africans, don't have 1 set of facial features.

Blacks-meaning people of African descent who don't identify as African American, West Indian or African, look different and have different features than those we categorize as black.

This is a black Moroccan and ethiopian women, meaning they're from Africa and black:

User Image
User Image

These are African American women, meaning they're from America and black:
User Image
User Image

These are West Indian women, meaning they're black Carribeans:
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

My problem with you guys saying they don't look black, is that you're probably falling into the stereotype that all black women are fat, big lips, big noses, without realizing that being black is different everywhere, and not all black women need perms for straight hair as one user said.

Though I do agree that Korra is Inuit like the producers said, not all black people look alike or have stereotyped features.

Liberal Codger

Waterbender Korra
Ellehk
Korra I think we can safely assume isn't Indian. And by American standards she would be black based on looks.

...Why can we safely assume she's not Native American? Personally, I don't think she looks black at all. This isn't to say I would think less of her if she were black, because I personally don't care, we're all pink on the inside, but seriously...doesn't even look black.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff