Welcome to Gaia! ::

kusoniichan's Boyfriend

Floppy Puppy

11,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
I thought she was just ambiguously brown.
First of all, Korra is not black. She's brown. There are plenty of brown asians. She is the same color as Sakka, Katara, Tarlock and every other water bender. If you look at eskimos, southeast asians and filipinos, a lot of them have the same skin tone as Korra. I'm Thai and my tone is closer to Korra and Katara's and I have NEVER been mistaken for a black person. Mexican, maybe, but that's because I live in San Diego.

Secondly, IF she was black (which she is not), so what? There should be no problem with that either way. Maybe there should be some black characters written into the series. That would be badass.

I thought it was really cool that they had brown characters, because that's something we seldom see in a series - the in-between colors.

Finally, OF COURSE AVATAR KORRA IS A GIRL! Look at the cycle. Aside from water, earth, fire and air, the pattern has been male, female, male, female, and so on and so forth.

EX: Avatar Roku - Fire, Male

The next Avatar after Korra (if there is one) will be an earth bender and a male, according to the pattern.

Sorry I got so heated, this topic just boiled my blood a little bit.

Familiar Phantom

4,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
But she looks more hispanic to me, cause she the same skin tone and hair as my mama >.>
So one of the most good looking girl characters on the show is modeled on light skin and classic western features. i.e. Asami
She's hated because she's rich and a girly girl (apparently) and wears makeup etc

Now some of you dislike Korra because she's dark skinned and sort of tomboyish?

Can we ever win with you people!!! gah.

But yeah... skin color is a point why?

Questionable Creature

User Image
█████████████ ████████xxxN a y a . M e r a ixxx████████ █████████████

Or she's just asian. A lot of them have more brown skin.

█████████████ ████████xxx© E x c u s e . M e ! ©xxx████████ █████████████

Wheezing Fatcat

lol It's a cartoon. Who the ******** cares?

Friendly Lunatic

I think shes southern water tribe.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Plague Vendor
I think shes southern water tribe.

/thread

Winner

I think you are confused. Black usually refers to someone of African descent, as far as I've heard. I'm pretty sure the Water Tribes are loosely based on Inuit culture, in the Arctic region.
Although, the real-world culture that is associated with her skin tone doesn't really matter in the context of the show. It's just a visual clue that she's from the Water Tribe, as are her blue clothes.

Fashionable Flatterer

7,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Its2Whorerible
its just a cartoon, omg people need to stop being sensitive

Honestly I think it's more racist than sensitive

Stelladonna
Finally, OF COURSE AVATAR KORRA IS A GIRL! Look at the cycle. Aside from water, earth, fire and air, the pattern has been male, female, male, female, and so on and so forth.

EX: Avatar Roku - Fire, Male

The next Avatar after Korra (if there is one) will be an earth bender and a male, according to the pattern.

Sorry I got so heated, this topic just boiled my blood a little bit.

But Aang's a guy too but maybe that cycle hiccups every time they get to air. lol

Tricky Fairy

I thought the water benders were based of the darker southern asians? Guess that was wrong. xD

My thing is, why the ******** would they freak out about Korra? Katara and Sokka are the SAME DAMN COLOR. Why does it matter anyway? The show is AWESOME
ShotgunVixen

But Aang's a guy too but maybe that cycle hiccups every time they get to air. lol

Ha, I just realized that. That's true! Well, Aang was confused for a little girl from time to time, lol.

Maybe the animators didn't think of having boy, girl, boy girl until after Aang and Roku were already created? Or maybe that was just a coincidence that the pattern was like that. Nonetheless, my prediction still stands.

Wheezing Fatcat

She would be Inuit, not black. Inuits have very dark skin though so light skinned blacks would be a good reference if you can't find Inuit references.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff