Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aria Fall's Husband

Wealthy Tycoon

How does LoK compare to the original Avatar? I have not yet seen LoK. emotion_awesome

Partying Reveler

No were near the same league. LoK had the problem of dealing with Young Adult drama and with that came those awkward love triangles. With A:TLA you only saw a minimal of romance and when we did see it , it fit in well.

That's what Korra's biggest problem is . They wasted season 2 on MakoxKorraxAsami love troubles. When they could have given us even more spirit world first avatar goodness.
Matt Slater IV
How does LoK compare to the original Avatar? I have not yet seen LoK. emotion_awesome
At this point, I'd watch every episode and never turn to look at another Nickelodeon show again out of sheer spite.

Korra was good, but the potential that the show had was squandered by the poor handling of it and its creators by Nick execs.

If you're expecting A:TLA levels of quality, you'll be disappointed- but Korra is a good show if watched to the exclusion of everything else. Even season two had the Avatar Wan story...

Aria Fall's Husband

Wealthy Tycoon

Okay, so am I safe to assume that IF I am expecting TLA quality, I should avoid this? Or does it have any major key points as to why I should actually watch it. Comments so far have been helpful, but not insightful. sweatdrop

Shy Witch

31,850 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I think it is worth watching, but that you should just be prepared that it isn't going to be the same as TLA.

For one, the setting is quite different as it's set about seventy years after TLA and the world is progressing to about 1920s-1940s technology. They also don't travel around as much as in Aang and co did in TLA, instead Korra usually stays around the same local area (Republic City) most of the time, so LOK doesn't exactly have that same epic adventure feel that TLA does.

I also get the impression that the creators never knew if each season would be the last. I think they were told they were only going to get one 14 episode season at first, so they wrote book 1 of LOK as a self contained story, then that got extended to two seasons so book 2 was also a self contained story etc. So the seasons don't really build off of one another in an overarching arc the way TLA did.

Also, each season/book (14 episodes) is shorter than the TLA books (22 episodes), so they don't have as much room for character development episodes or lighter, fun, filler episodes. This can make LOK seem like a very action-packed ride that piles on problem after problem after problem until the resolution at the end of each book.

edit. The other drawback here is that since they don't have as much time for character development, I have found it harder to get attached to the LOK characters. Part of this is also due to the silly love triangle in the early seasons making at least three of the main characters all come across as rather unlikable and annoying at certain points.

I think the creators did well with what they were given to work with. As others have mentioned they had some limitations due to executive meddling and there were some poor choices made initially (with the focus on the silly love triangle drama) but the series did pick up and even the 'worst' season (book 2) had some really good episodes (Avatar Wan's story). I think book 3 and 4 have been especially good and probably just as good as TLA in terms of quality.

The animation and art style is definitely an improvement from TLA, LOK has some beautiful artwork and the characters are much more realistically drawn.

I think LOK definitely has its strengths as well as its weaknesses as a show. Though there are many callbacks to TLA, it's different from TLA for a number of reasons. Many fans of TLA like TLA better, but that doesn't necessarily mean LOK is bad.

Aria Fall's Husband

Wealthy Tycoon

M e i
I think it is worth watching, but that you should just be prepared that it isn't going to be the same as TLA.

For one, the setting is quite different as it's set about seventy years after TLA and the world is progressing to about 1920s-1940s technology. They also don't travel around as much as in Aang and co did in TLA, instead Korra usually stays around the same local area (Republic City) most of the time, so LOK doesn't exactly have that same epic adventure feel that TLA does.

I also get the impression that the creators never knew if each season would be the last. I think they were told they were only going to get one 14 episode season at first, so they wrote book 1 of LOK as a self contained story, then that got extended to two seasons so book 2 was also a self contained story etc. So the seasons don't really build off of one another in an overarching arc the way TLA did.

Also, each season/book (14 episodes) is shorter than the TLA books (22 episodes), so they don't have as much room for character development episodes or lighter, fun, filler episodes. This can make LOK seem like a very action-packed ride that piles on problem after problem after problem until the resolution at the end of each book.

I think the creators did well with what they were given to work with. As others have mentioned they had some limitations due to executive meddling and there were some poor choices made initially (with the focus on the silly love triangle drama) but the series did pick up and even the 'worst' season (book 2) had some really good episodes (Avatar Wan's story). I think book 3 and 4 have been especially good and probably just as good as TLA in terms of quality.

The animation and art style is definitely an improvement from TLA, LOK has some beautiful artwork and the characters are much more realistically drawn.

I think LOK definitely has its strengths as well as its weaknesses as a show. Though there are many callbacks to TLA, it's different from TLA for a number of reasons. Many fans of TLA like TLA better, but that doesn't necessarily mean LOK is bad.

Spoken like a true fan, so it seems. I will give it a shot this week in my spare time.

Thanks. razz

Shy Witch

31,850 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Matt Slater IV
M e i

Spoken like a true fan, so it seems. I will give it a shot this week in my spare time.

Thanks. razz

Thanks! I guess I do consider myself a fan of both. I'll admit I do still like TLA best. LOK took me a while to get into, after I watched the first book I decided for a long while that the rest wasn't worth watching... but now that I've watched it up to date I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Hope you enjoy watching it, if you decide to. (:

Greedy Capitalist

It's good in the sense that there's soo much going on and there's so much room for development that you're always left wanting more at the end of each episode.

But you feel so cheated once the season ends because there's so much going on and it only gets a little bit of screentime.

Like Bolin becomes a celebrity, but it isn't touched upon much.

Aged Rabbit

11,250 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
Call me a heretic, but I actually like LOK better. I like the main cast better, I like the art direction and setting better, I like the action better, and I like the villains better. The only problem is that Nickelodeon decided to strangle it. If it was given as much time and attention as LA, I still don't think fans of the original would like it as much. Honestly, the love triangle, I thought played second fiddle to the actual plot, and was only really important to shippers.
LoK is both good and bad for me. I love the Last Airbender, so I came into Korra expecting the same thing. Korra has a more darker theme, and more adult situations. There's less humor, and a more serious tone (which I actually liked). So in that sense its amazing. Not to mention you get to see how things have changed since Aang was avatar. The downside (for me) has been the poor character development. The season at times feel rushed, and its not as far reaching (in world) globally as I would like. But their are some memorable characters (like Bolin!!), and I would watch it again just for that reason.

Premium Gaian

I think LOK is completely worth watching. The only real big differences between the 2 is that LOK has more young adult drama, sometimes a bit to much, and becomes a secondary story to the main conflicts, but in no way really attached.But the key diference is that A:TLA was a 4 season adventure based story, while in LOK, you have 4 seasons with 12 or 13 episodes (depends on how you want to look at it since the final episode is 1 hour long), with different conflicts and big plots that all still somewhat connect with eachother. Season 3 is by far the best for me, mainly because I was so happy about them combining 2 episodes into one for a great 1 hour episode ^-^ And be warned too, LOK is definitely darker than A:TLA.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff