Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm SURE this has been shared on these forums before-- but just incase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBK3h5iRNp0

I thought it was way interesting. I actually really liked this finale. I'm curious to see how the "does the world need an avatar?" theme will actually play out. Korra's identity has been completely defined by being the avatar. Her formative years were mainly her getting avatar training and being told how significant the avatar is to the world. To have that identity shattered through all of her trials (plus the insane metallic poison torture)… it's no wonder she'd in horrible shape right now.

And Tenzin (who MEANT well) was basically like "we'll take over from here Korra! You know that role you have been training for your entire life? And has completely defined your identity and has given you purpose? That you literally were tortured for and have risked your life for? We have that covered you can go home now :}"

NOTE: I love Tenzin but he DIDN'T KNOW (cry)

disquss the alt ending

9,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
lnkk
I'm SURE this has been shared on these forums before-- but just incase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBK3h5iRNp0

I thought it was way interesting. I actually really liked this finale. I'm curious to see how the "does the world need an avatar?" theme will actually play out. Korra's identity has been completely defined by being the avatar. Her formative years were mainly her getting avatar training and being told how significant the avatar is to the world. To have that identity shattered through all of her trials (plus the insane metallic poison torture)… it's no wonder she'd in horrible shape right now.

And Tenzin (who MEANT well) was basically like "we'll take over from here Korra! You know that role you have been training for your entire life? And has completely defined your identity and has given you purpose? That you literally were tortured for and have risked your life for? We have that covered you can go home now :}"

NOTE: I love Tenzin but he DIDN'T KNOW (cry)

disquss the alt ending

This is a fan ending. Simple as that. But it does suggest what I think was making Korra cry at the end. Shes submitting to the idea that shes not needed.
Raika Fury
This is a fan ending. Simple as that. But it does suggest what I think was making Korra cry at the end. Shes submitting to the idea that shes not needed.
Yep, a fan ending.

I think more then just the feeling of being 'unneeded', the world moving on beyond having a purpose for the Avatar, but the fact she is so ingrained in the role. Aang was more about himself and being the Avatar a secondary thing he had to take responsibility of, acting upon it as a part of himself. For Korra, being the Avatar is what defined her. Its pretty much everything and what determined her existence. She feels that the place as an Avatar isn't needed (both due to her physical weakness as well as the world changing away from requiring it) meaning her identity, her sole purpose for life has ran out.

Of which, I can only suspect season 4 might be really were Korra might develop fully as a character. No longer would she be the Avatar, but she might find her own identity. smile

8,900 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Invisibility 100
"Does the world need an avatar?"
In regards to that I will quote myself from a similar topic that someone posted...
Their world will need her and or whoever will be Avatar at the time because everyone in existence has a purpose and things will go out of balance one way or another if someone is taken out prematurely.

My memory of this is a bit foggy because I only saw the last episode once but I think it was Tenzin that told Korra that bit to where the Airbenders would take care of things while she recovers. That being said wasn't meant to imply she was going to be replaced. It means exactly what was stated, there was no double meaning. Think about it, that would just be ******** up if there was.

Korra does need to go through a time of healing and then she can get back to her Avatar duties. This is something a lot of us if not all of us will eventually go through,-- a time where we need to recover form something that took a great toll on us. I've been there, I've felt useless before and at times still can feel that way but I know deep down it is far from true.

This is something only the person themselves can over come. No one can get you through it but yourself. So for Korra it wouldn't be any different. No one is useless and no one is getting replaced.

Tbh when I first saw the last episode and it showed her cry, I thought she may have been crying due to a huge relief that the Airbenders were gonna be okay. Oddly to me though due to how tripped out I was feeling the time I watched that episode, everything seemed to go by so fast that I hardly had time to process much. After everyone started discussing as to why she was crying, well it all sounded more legit as to my previous quote above and most of what everyone else has been saying as well.

As for that extra ending bit, I didn't care for it and I prefer the original. It seemed more like an assumption of what was going through her mind at the time. I don't know right now what to think what she may have been thinking at that moment other than being happy for Jinora and that the Airbenders and the others all made it out and possibly some self pity due to her current injured state. Again, what everyone else has been saying.
I don't think at that moment she was thinking about her previous traumatizing battles and encounters.
Tbh I don't think the crying part matters, I think it's more of a "happy" cry, like a cry of relief having a big burden to be lifted from her. So she won't be the only person trying to fix everything for the world.

And I assume the next book will be just her trying to recover from the heavy poisoning she got, maybe getting some sort of spiritual treatment from a Guru like Aang did in book 2.
Okay Shut Up
Tbh I don't think the crying part matters, I think it's more of a "happy" cry, like a cry of relief having a big burden to be lifted from her. So she won't be the only person trying to fix everything for the world.

And I assume the next book will be just her trying to recover from the heavy poisoning she got, maybe getting some sort of spiritual treatment from a Guru like Aang did in book 2.

Happy cries indicate smiling.

She didn't smile when the tear rolled off her cheek. It definitely wasn't a happy cry.
Zettadude
Okay Shut Up

Happy cries indicate smiling.

She didn't smile when the tear rolled off her cheek. It definitely wasn't a happy cry.

Tear of happiness doesn't necessarily need "smile" to indicate it is one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff