Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sugary Snack

10,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Blob's To You 100
Tell me how this episode is not a direct rip off of spirited away?
Smelling the human, the bridge, the baths come on now.

Wheezing Bloodsucker

2,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
Wan comes from the ancestors of the Fire Nation (presumably), and while the Avatar world in general is heavily influenced by Asian culture, the Fire Nation most resembles Japan.

So it makes sense, if you think of it, that Wan encountered spirits that behaved the way that the spirits of Japanese religion and myth have also behaved in the past. Ancient Japanese religion and that particular take on the spirits also influenced Miyazaki's works, which is understandable because, you know, Miyazaki was Japanese and all.

But it is also no big secret at all that both Avatar series were heavily influenced by anime. So much so that people who don't know what the origins of the shows are assume they are anime.

None of this is very surprising... Surprisingly, o________O

Wheezing Bloodsucker

2,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
Yup.

Doesn't surprise me that Miyazaki and Bones Studios were both heavy influences on the two Avatar series at all. After all, those are the sources of some of the best quality Japanese animation there is. Cowboy Bebop is still possibly my favorite anime series of all time. And I can be incredibly picky and hard to impress.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I don't think you've ever seen an actual, "direct rip off" if this is your idea of one. A clear nod, yes, and most good shows do that.

You wanna get real mad, check out the original Star Wars flicks then watch the end of A:tLA Season 2, and the swamp/Toph scenes in Korra.

Wheezing Bloodsucker

2,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
Klaark
I don't think you've ever seen an actual, "direct rip off" if this is your idea of one. A clear nod, yes, and most good shows do that.

You wanna get real mad, check out the original Star Wars flicks then watch the end of A:tLA Season 2, and the swamp/Toph scenes in Korra.

Holy sh---, are you insinuating that Toph is Yoda?! eek

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Gadita
Klaark

Holy sh---, are you insinuating that Toph is Yoda?! eek

Insinuating I am. Yoda, she kinda is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas