Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Poster

If you hadn't already guessed, this post is full of spoilers!

Okay, so there was a TON of stuff to talk about in the newest episode!

First off, how awesome was it to see Lin and Iroh again(even if it was pretty short lived, at least for Iroh :/)? I was glad to get out of Republic city for this book, but I actually kind of missed it. so it was nice to go back.

Obviously a biggie is Mako and Korra breaking up(really though, who didn't see that one coming?). I personally think they'll end up together again before the series is over, but hopefully they'll both do some growing up in that time, because they both clearly need it,
Obviously Korra was antagonizing Mako through a lot of it; she wanted Mako's opinion when he was supporting her decisions, but then he gives his opinion and she thinks he's taking someone else's side. I understand that Korra's a bit rough anyway, plus she's a teenage girl and has a LOT of pressure on her shoulders as the Avatar(and a member of the Southern tribe) but that doesn't mean she should constantly yell at him and expect him to just be okay with it. And her flipping over his desk right in the middle of his office with everyone there was really too much.
That being said; Mako could have tried to talk to her before he told the president, or at least explain why he thought what she was doing was wrong. I doubt she would have listened, but he should have given her fair warning about it beforehand. I can't say if he did the right thing or not by telling the president what he knew, but he should have talked to Korra about it before regardless. (Frankly though, I think he's been pretty patient with her up until this point)
I really hope they don't bring more characters in for them to date; I'm fine with them not dating(hopefully they'll grow up a bit) but I don't want them to have some stupid romances just to fill the gap, you know?

I was glad to get to see the twins being bending badasses, but I hope at some point they'll turn against their father(I don't know how likely that is, but still, it would be cool)

I'm interested to see how the bombing thing works in; I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

I don't totally hate the president yet; it makes sense to me for him not wanting to go to war after only being president for 6 months. Still, I get the feeling he's going to be an antagonist down the line. I don't know, it's just the vibe I'm getting.

THAT ENDING THOUGH! UGH! Really?! Cliffhangers man!!! Maybe she'll have a cool spirit world journey now! That would be awesome! (Maybe we'll be seeing the first avatar in the next episode? Like she takes a spiritual journey to her past like Aang did with Roku?)

Still though, I wanted to see the Fire Nation! I want to see Zuko and his daughter dang it!

My biggest thing about this episode though was Bolin; poor thing is just being completely ignored by his brother and friends! That's kind of been a small theme throughout the new episodes, but I felt so bad for him on the dock when they first got back to Republic City!(or when Mako was talking to them in their apartment! He was such an a**! And poor Bolin looked like a sad puppy that had just had his dreams shattered) I'm glad he's getting some attention, but I'm worried that something bad is going to happen with the whole business thing; I hope not though, Bolin is always getting the short end of the stick. He needs good things to happen to him!

Okay, this got long, but what do you guys think about the episode? All I can say, is that I'm really starting to get into this season, and I can't wait for next week!
Korra was such a child in this episode. Honestly the whole time I was just like emotion_facepalm She really doesn't understand yet what it means to be the Avatar yet I don't think. I mean, even Lin told her she shouldn't lead the southerners in their protest (even if it was peaceful). Mako had the right idea saying something to the President though. I'm not sure she fully understood the repercussions of what might have happened had she been able to go through with her plan. (and i'm surprised also that Asami and General Iroh were so ready and willing to go a long with her plans.) Asami seemed a bit more levelheaded then that to me even in the first season. (though I suppose you could chalk it up to her being desperate for sales.) But Iroh seemed like a very duty oriented man from what little we saw of him in season one.

Also, I have to agree with Mako that the bombs weren't placed by the Northerners. It just doesn't make sense to me. The North is the more powerful of the two water tribes and so wouldn't have a reason to make a display of any kind of force in Republic City itself. Plus, the guy was a firebender. The wars may be long over. But I could see that there might still be enough pride and animosity left within the Northern traditions that they wouldn't hire firebenders. (although I could be wrong there, considering no one seemed to bat an eyelash at Mako's firebending.) But still, that leaves a lot of other options. I'm a bit lost with that section myself.

As for the twins and the spirits, there's been a theory floating around lately that either Unalaq and his children are possessed by dark spirits to some degree (or perhaps they control them.) It's definitely a possibility that due to Unalaq's strong connection to the spirits that something could have gone awry. I just think that the fact that the spirits always seem to turn up when Unalaq and his children are around (besides Korra) Is too much of a coincidence. It also feels weird to me because despite Tonraq and Unalaq being at odds you'd think Korra would have developed some sort of connection with her cousins. But they didn't even bat an eyelash when that dark spirit swallowed her up. I don't think Korra is going to like whatever she finds in the spirit world though (if that's where it's taking her.) Not at first anyway.

Poor Bolin is going to get into some deep s**t I fear. Verrick is not exactly a good role model. It kind of irks me that everyone seems to so willingly trust his judgement. It's obvious to me that he's the kind of man whose loyalty can be bought. He doesn't seem to think much about consequences either should his plans get wrecked. and with so much riding on being the Avatar (and head of an already disgraced company/a probender/ a police officer. Not realizing the consequences of their actions could cause serious problems for everyone involved. At least Bolin's fans at the pro-bending stadium appreciated him a little bit though.

I started rambling too. Good gosh I could post like bazillion pages about this show. Like you i'm so glad it's back. I missed having the thrill of new episodes.

Enkyubus's Wife

Melodious Conversationalist

Oh man. I'm so happy that Lin and Iroh were in this episode.

Poor Bolin though, first the creepy ex-gf hating everything even more and is willing to kill her own cousin, even if she's the avatar over the split? What issues does this girl have that we need to know about? Dx Now getting sucked in to "movers?" Bolin needs more role than just as a toy for everyone to play with.

I didn't think Zuko would still be alive. I want to see him and his daughter [*snicker "Honora" *snicker*] NOW scream

As for the next episode, I hope to see some more spirit world stuff now that Korra's been consumed. Literally.
The only thing that bugs me is people telling Korra she needs to stay neutral. Aang was never neutral. He took the side against the firelord. Korra is taking the side against Unalaq. How is she acting wrong in this way? Yes she is very brash, but not only is she under pressure from being a teenage avatar, but her family's lives are being threatened. She wants a response as quickly as possible and I don't blame her.

She was not raised a monk like Aang. She was raised to be a warrior, like Sokka was.

Quotable Poster

@Yaoi - I do think Unalaq has something to do with the spirit attacks, but I don't think he's controlling them per say; after all, they've shown at least one attack where he and his kids weren't around, and they mention more of them. But I agree that something's up there.

@Skarlis - I feel a little bad for Eska honestly; but yeah, she's kind of nuts. x| I knew Zuko was still alive; I think they mentioned it at a panel or something during Book 1.(I am so glad you call her Honora too! I almost called her that in my first post, but then deiced against it! xD)

@Bijoux - Aang was against the Fire Nation true enough, but he was trying to keep balance between the four elements. It wasn't an internal struggle like the Water Tribe's civil war is, so it's not really far to compare the two scenarios. It's true that her family's involved, and I know that Unalaq is wrong, but she still has to try and be diplomatic about it. I mean, she WAS being diplomatic when she was backing Unalaq, but as soon as she realized he lied she not only switched sides(which is understandable) but also decided that force was all she had. I don't blame her for wanting to help her people, but the Northerns are Water Tribe too, and they're just doing what their leader tells them to do; if they fight a war, a lot of them will die and I don't think she's really thought that through. I think the Northerns would also feel abandoned, which could cause problems. Also, she is quick to fight, but she wasn't raised like a warrior(and definitely not like Sokka). On top of the fact that that was 80 years ago, the south pole isn't a harsh environment anymore, there wasn't a war going on, and she was raised in the sanctuary the White Lotus built. True, she did train to fight and master the elements, but the mindset of being in wartime wasn't drilled into her. She doesn't have to be all monkish like Aang, but she will inventively need to realize that being the Avatar is about taking care of the world, not just the people you care about.

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Zuko, his daughter & seeing the Fire Nation, that's all I care about right now.

Invisible Mage

13,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
The main thing I have been focusing on this season is watching Bolin to be honest. The way Korra, Mako, and the whole water tribe invasion thing is handled so sloppy I'm just more focused on Bolin because he's getting some really sad development souly on his body language and his actions.

He's been completely abandoned by his friend and brother. Mako has been nothing but a complete a** to Bolin the whole time, whatever happened to the big brother who would protect his little brother? What happened to the brother who actually cared about what Bolin was doing or what was happening with him? Makos total d**k moves of not caring what's happening to Bolin, and completely ignoring any crys for help is disgusting. Even Korra doesn't give Bolin the time of day before all this water tribe stuff became hot. He became a third wheel, realizes this, and does everything he can for attention.

It's so depressing to see, but it feels so far very intentional. He attempts dating someone else on the fly because of his need for companionship while being stuck as the third wheel with Mako and Korra. When he's abused by this girl, NO ONE helps him and take it as a joke, or just does shallow attempts of caring which is what Mako tried to do rather then, oh I don't know, supporting his brother better. The girl practically forces him into a relationship deeper and the only thing he can do is a childish way of handling it, running. Then he gets dragged into helping out a person who is clearly a manipulator by trade and using Bolin for his needs, which is giving Bolin his only sense of purpose as everyone else has things to do.

I'm expecting an episode where Bolin gets attention and development to himself and he realizes his worth. Of course, that's hopeless dreaming because obviously LoK is clearly more interested in the convoluted plot rather then developing their established characters. Hell if Korra can't even get an episode of growth that is worth something, what hope does Bolin.

Is he doomed to just be a joke like last season? Is he going to go unnoticed longer? Is no one going to give him guidance as his only adult figure in his life(Mako) has essentially abandoned him?? Hell if Korra isn't going to take any help that is thrown at her left and right, may as well throw them at Bolin because so far he's been tragic.

Also was it just me or was the animation horrid beyond all belief in this episode? The lines where too thin and it's stiff because they don't... move...

Oh, and Korra was horrid throughout the episode. She acted like a child tenfold. There's hotheaded, and just being a blind fool. Did she really think those where good ideas, and why where people going along with it? Has she learned anything in the past who knows how long probably two years since she's been out and about?? Just goodness. I said in a different post that I like her concept, but they never take her anywhere with it thus completely messing up the concept, and this shows that good god she is just unchanging in her bratty 'I'm the avatar listen to MEEEEEE' attitude.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I'm going to enjoy watching Korra get what she deserves. Not that I don't like the character, but she's going to have to eat a big plate of humble at some point, here.

Shirtless Rogue

. . . and Korra the Avatar got eaten by a spirit-demon. The End.

Lol, but really--so many mixed feelings about this episode. So far my biggest issue with Book 2 is just the sloppy transitions. They really bother me--just jumping from half-finished conversation to half-finished conversation--! Plus sloppy line delivery is rampant.

But anyway. Happy to see MaKorra is no longer a thing (for now). Been looking forward to that moment since before they got together. I'm hoping we have a long arc where they both grow up a little but end up with a sort of wry friendship, not dissimilar to that of Bei Fong / Tenzin. But I think they'll prolly end up getting back together again. UGH.
omikuji

Bolin is definitely being set up for some kind of character development. I think each episode has come back to that point, however briefly: the new Fire Ferrets team, Verrick valuing him when everyone else thinks he's a screw-up, his lonely romantic struggles, the endless third-wheel jokes . . . Mako, Korra and Asami each have their independent causes, but (as the comic-relief character)ll Bolin's been left behind. He's been taking it all in a stride (interestingly, he seems both the most and least mature of the lot), but this episode seems to suggest that it really is bothering him, even if he doesn't let it show much (referring to the eagerness with which he boasts his new Verrick-made niche). I look forward to seeing what becomes of him in the end--my guess is he eventually serves as the driving force behind the Team Avatar reunion, returning to his original niche as seen in Book 1.

And yeah, Korra is being irritating. I'm guessing/hoping her behavior so far has been setting her up for a fall--possibly involving advice from previous Avatars!--from which she rises up more thoughtful and thick-skinned. Or something. But yeah, if that's what they're aiming for, they've been hitting us over the head with it a lot.

Also. That C-plot. With the lemur training. WTF? What was that? Comic relief? Maybe? Couldn't find a way to fill that extra five minutes? What? Have they all ready run out of stories for Tenzin and family?

Quotable Poster

@Backwards - Me too!! SO excited for it, but I feel like it's going to be at least two episodes before we get there! The next one's probably going to be spirit world related(or at least, that's my guess)

@Omikuji - I KNOW! It makes me so mad how everyone's been treating Bolin! The poor baby, he's just trying to get some kind of attention, but everyone just keeps brushing him off! I understand that their not on the streets anymore, so their not struggling for money; but that doesn't mean Mako can just totally ignore him! Not only ignore, but actually snap at him every time he tries to talk! UGH! So frustrating! The only member of team avatar that's actually paying even the slightest bit of attention to him is Asami, but she's busy trying to keep her company from going under. I don't mind him being the comedic center of the group, since he's also the main moral booster, but I'd really like to see his storylines have more depth. Since he is getting so much screen time, I'm betting something big will happen with him soon, and it better end happy for him or I will be furious! And the art thing is because they switched to a different art studio this season(I think that's what I read anyway). I don't really mind it so much; I've seen so many different styles for cartoons I just accept them all at this point. I actually didn't really notice much of a difference until I went back and watched Book 1 again, and unless I compare them side by side I don't even see it as being that bad(I'm too busy being angry at all the characters to be annoyed by the art)

@Klaark - I totally agree. I like Korra, I think she's a nice opposite after having Aang as the main character, but she is just pissing me off like no other. Teenager or not, she really needs some sense knocked into her; I hope they'll take care of the plot device soon because I don't think I can handle her attitude for the rest of the book, much less the two after that!

@Maybee - I like Makorra overall, but I'm also really glad they broke up. On top of the fact that there constant arguing was irritating the bejeusus out of me, I think it will help both them grow. Korra was really taking Mako for granted and always feeling insecure about him "taking sides" against her, and Mako is focusing so much on his job he's forgetting about the people who are important to him. I'm willing to bet the break lasts until at least the end of this book, and maybe even into the next one. Like I mentioned earlier, I just hope that a long break won't bring in more relationships; I am so sick of love triangle! I think the lemur thing was to try and show Tenzin bonding/interacting with his kids/family. Like, how the last episode was him and Ikki(and his siblings). They'll probably have something with him and Jinora next.

Manly Lunatic

Korra should, instead of acting out on her own, ask her past incarnations for help, like Aang has done before. Only real way to solve anything...

Oh and we do not see Wan until Beginnings, which is Episodes 7 and 8. Episode 6 is next week. About uncovering some conspiracy. So we might not see Korra again until Beginnings.

Bolin seems happy being an actor... I do not get how he is sad?
Dear god, I loved this episode so much. emotion_kirakira
imo, it gave a lot of the characters way more...depth? I don't know if that's the right word; but they're all just that much more interesting now.
Mako isn't purely Korra's support anymore. He has his own ideas and opinions. I side with him very much on him telling the President of what she planned on doing. While yeah, ideally, he would have warned her, but she wasn't likely to listen. Mako had to prevent her from ******** so much s**t up in Republic City and he had to do it quick because I'm almost certain he knows she's desperate and she will act quickly. If he waited until he got a chance to talk with her, what if she already had asked Iroh and he agreed and Iroh's troops were going to leave soon? Iroh would have gotten punished, Korra would be seen as an enemy to Raiko for using his army without her permission, and Mako potentially would also be punished because he's the Avatar's boyfriend. Why wouldn't he know about her plans?
...damn, that was a long paragraph on supporting Mako. Wasn't expecting that.
As for the break-up, they needed it. I never everrrr believed Korra was ready for a relationship.

Bolin's finding another calling for himself, though, not being managed by the best of people. I want him to make some friends though, dammit. It kinda bugs me that the main characters just don't seem to have a social circle outside of themselves...
Asami apparently is desperate enough to fund this war; until I hear it from her mouth though, I won't 100% go over Bolin's words.

MEELO & HIS LEMUR ARMY. I liked that Meelo became a teensy bit less of purely a comic relief air child. I only feel this because I'm convinced Meelo's lemur army is gonna be a part of something else later on.

My thoughts on Korra: I know she has a lot on her plate and this time it's personal, but she needs to take time and just think. I'm almost certain the only time she's really done that is when she got captured by Amon last season and she had nothing else to do. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Hopefully being eaten by the spirit will send her to the spirit world or something, so she can speak with the past avatars.

oh & i love eska & desna. I wish Desna feeled like more than "Eska's twin" though.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Just maybee

Also. That C-plot. With the lemur training. WTF? What was that? Comic relief? Maybe? Couldn't find a way to fill that extra five minutes? What? Have they all ready run out of stories for Tenzin and family?

I'm happy with the plot, actually.
In the first season, you barely saw Tenzin interact with his family.
He doesn't get along with his own siblings, his kids cannot get along with one another.
This is a nice way to show the man as more of a father figure than just a sperm donor.
What better way to do it than to help his son train his lemur?

Shirtless Rogue

zweet_dreamz
Just maybee

He doesn't get along with his own siblings, his kids cannot get along with one another.
This is a nice way to show the man as more of a father figure than just a sperm donor.

I guess . . . I just think they did a poor job weaving it in with the bigger picture. Previous Tenzin-plots at least appeared vaguely related, in a distant kind of way, or had some specific character-building goal in mind. Some brief interaction with his siblings might have framed it in his character development arc, or if Tenzin had some explicit history with animal training (the avatar does not count) then this could've elaborated on that. As a whole, it was funny (occasionally), but it also seemed pretty random, almost as if the writers were at their wits' end trying to write a Meelo episode after giving each of his sister's her air time.

Gracious Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
Just maybee
zweet_dreamz
Just maybee

I guess . . . I just think they did a poor job weaving it in with the bigger picture. Previous Tenzin-plots at least appeared vaguely related, in a distant kind of way, or had some specific character-building goal in mind. Some brief interaction with his siblings might have framed it in his character development arc, or if Tenzin had some explicit history with animal training (the avatar does not count) then this could've elaborated on that. As a whole, it was funny (occasionally), but it also seemed pretty random, almost as if the writers were at their wits' end trying to write a Meelo episode after giving each of his sister's her air time.

I thought it did weave in. neutral
"Being alpha lemur is lonely" Being Avatar is lonely? All that pressure and expectations on a girl with literally zero patience or subtlety?
And when Meelo trains every lemur? Going completely overboard? Like the way Korra does because her sole concept of strategy is "Until you do what I want, Korra SMASH"? (Iroh, why did you instantly go along with her? crying )

Also, I liked the break up. I started Season One Makorra, became a Borra fan, and enjoyed seeing the Makorra issues. Not cuz of Bolin (I don't even know where I am on those two and Korra anymore xd ) but because it made perfect sense given how not mature Korra is and Mako's communication issues.
(Yes, he should have warned Korra he told the President, but it looked to me like things happened fast and cell phones haven't been invented yet, so how was he supposed to warn her?)
I hope Bolin gets some development. They seem to be heading that way, I hope they keep it up.
Honora next episode! 4laugh Please! burning_eyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces