Welcome to Gaia! ::

And so my digital life begins not with an introduction proper but with me throwing my two cents out into the wild:

I don't consider it a great loss iTunes (my preferred method of getting TV shows) has yet to offer Book 3. My hopes were high with Books 1 and 2 but they were dashed first over time and then pretty quickly, and I'm not in a hurry to see Book 3.

It's just so frustrating that this show can't be as good as its predecessor. And it's not even because Korra is a poorly conceived character so much that the show is so enamored with her that it goes out of its way to protect her and maintain the 'She's the most awesome and important person ever' facade based on little more than her being the avatar.

It's kind of like Harry Potter, now that I think about it.

Anyway, yeah. I don't mind Korra having specific negative traits like being stubborn or headstrong, if only the show would call her out on these traits instead of contorting itself to avoid confronting the possibility that Korra isn't the bestest ever of all time.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Tourist Gally
And so my digital life begins not with an introduction proper but with me throwing my two cents out into the wild:

I don't consider it a great loss iTunes (my preferred method of getting TV shows) has yet to offer Book 3. My hopes were high with Books 1 and 2 but they were dashed first over time and then pretty quickly, and I'm not in a hurry to see Book 3.

It's just so frustrating that this show can't be as good as its predecessor. And it's not even because Korra is a poorly conceived character so much that the show is so enamored with her that it goes out of its way to protect her and maintain the 'She's the most awesome and important person ever' facade based on little more than her being the avatar.

Anyway, yeah. I don't mind Korra having specific negative traits like being stubborn or headstrong, if only the show would call her out on these traits instead of contorting itself to avoid confronting the possibility that Korra isn't the bestest ever of all time.

so in other words you have yet to see it & is judging it by its first 2 seasons?
its going about the same as yugioh gx did, the first 2 seasons where crap & the 3ed lives up to the name of the original series
shadowmoon522
Tourist Gally

so in other words you have yet to see it & is judging it by its first 2 seasons?
its going about the same as yugioh gx did, the first 2 seasons where crap & the 3ed lives up to the name of the original series

My judgment of Book 3 is limited to 'I'm in no hurry to see this,' which is not a judgment at all. It's pattern recognition. "The first two dozen episodes of this series was disappointing, why should I expect anything to change with the next dozen?"

And I have never given a damn about Yugioh. Maybe your analogy works except no, I've already covered the pattern recognition part.
The third season is like a big apology, I went in not expecting to like it but I was very pleasantly surprised.
Without the love triangle bull even Mako is tolerable and I hate Mako. Bolin has ceased being the one man punching bag of the universe, I mean he's still the funny guy but it's not just laughing at terrible things that happen to him anymore.
Korra and Asami are actually friends now instead of 'the show calls them friends, have they said two words to each other'.

And the bad guys are cool as hell. So unless they somehow manage to screw up everything with the last two episodes this season is shaping up to be pretty damn good.

Shy Star

I wasn't sure how it was all going to pan out with how hyped up Season 2 was and how much of a flop the majority of it was. But I'm glad I gave it a chance because it's actually turned out to be more closer to what I were expecting from an ATLA follow up.
User Image
Rob Somebody
The third season is like a big apology, I went in not expecting to like it but I was very pleasantly surprised.
Without the love triangle bull even Mako is tolerable and I hate Mako. Bolin has ceased being the one man punching bag of the universe, I mean he's still the funny guy but it's not just laughing at terrible things that happen to him anymore.
Korra and Asami are actually friends now instead of 'the show calls them friends, have they said two words to each other'.

And the bad guys are cool as hell. So unless they somehow manage to screw up everything with the last two episodes this season is shaping up to be pretty damn good.

I actually didn't mind Bolin as a character, they just didn't have anything for him to do. The 'movers' angle had promise, but there was unintended baggage with that (that I won't go into because it's getting late).

But your comment about Korra and Asami makes me wonder: why do these four hang out together? Bolin and Mako are brothers, OK, but I don't really get a sense of true camaraderie in the other relationships. ATLA had an advantage in that the three-then-four-then-five heroes there needed each other, they couldn't count on anyone else. LOK doesn't have that, but it needs to have something.

I think this is more because each book is so rushed and there's no chance to stop and breathe, to let the characters be real personalities rather than broad types and to truly enrich their friendship.
Tourist Gally
Rob Somebody

I actually didn't mind Bolin as a character, they just didn't have anything for him to do. The 'movers' angle had promise, but there was unintended baggage with that (that I won't go into because it's getting late).

But your comment about Korra and Asami makes me wonder: why do these four hang out together? Bolin and Mako are brothers, OK, but I don't really get a sense of true camaraderie in the other relationships. ATLA had an advantage in that the three-then-four-then-five heroes there needed each other, they couldn't count on anyone else. LOK doesn't have that, but it needs to have something.

I think this is more because each book is so rushed and there's no chance to stop and breathe, to let the characters be real personalities rather than broad types and to truly enrich their friendship.

No I like Bolin but most of season 2 he was kinda having the universe hate him.

I agree with the friendship bit, but this season is really improving how the characters interact, Korra and Asami, and a little of Bolin have some good moments where they are poking fun at Mako.
I get they have to condense a little because there are less episodes in a season, but the moments they do give us of various people being friends are a really nice addition that the series was lacking. They even have the villain having friend moments together which is super great.

Popular Friend

10,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
My view on the three seasons of Korra are:

Season 1: Good
Season 2: Ok kinda meh at some points but good for the most part.
Season 3: Really great and the best of the three seasons so far.

So don't give up on the show watch Book 3 before judging trust me it's worth it! smile

Newbie Noob

4,700 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Member 100
One thing with Korra is that it didn't have the freedom ATLA did, especially timewise. I think I'd love the cast a lot more if they were given the space/time to develope their characters like the cast of ATLA.

My thoughts on Korra

Season 1: Great until the very end where Airbending came out of nowhere
Season 2: Wan stole the season for me, I found the ending very Kaijuu vs Ultraman-esque and didn't like it
Season 3: So far so good, though I personally would've liked them to introduce the return of airbending better or just explain it. PLEASE USE METALBENDING TO MAKE BOLIN MORE THAN JUST COMIC RELIEF

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff