Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Lunatic

15,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Friendly 100
I've got to say after watching the first five episodes; I wanted to cry.

I've watched Avatar the Last Airbender and that show was truly one of a kind. That show made me feel emotions I did not know I could feel for a cartoon character. I was rooting for them the whole time. I was excited to see what would happen. I got to know them from one side and watch them grow as people and become truly amazing!

They were just a bunch of kids suffering from a war. They didn't just sit around and waited for the bad guys to go away. No. They stood up for themselves. They fought a war that they had no choice but to be a part of because sitting around would had gone against everything that they believed in.

I wanted to see what happened after Aang restored peace to all the nations. I wanted to see how Overlord Zuko has treated the people of the fire nation. The fire nation were told how to think and feel for so long that suddenly having a banished prince say, "Things are going to change around here," might have thrown them into chaos.

I wanted to see Toph continue to overcome her fears of parental rejection. I wanted to see how far Sokka and Suki got together and even see how far Katara and Aang got together. I wanted to see Iroh open his tea shop back up and maybe June would stop by for a drink. Heck, I even want to see Appa and Momo argue over food once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What did I instead see? Aang is now Korra and Korra just magically wields 3/4 elements without needing to find her inner self. No chi studying. No inner focus. Just bam! Wham! She just enters in, "I'm the Avatar! Deal with it!"

0.0 ----? WTF did I just witness?

So Amon is evil bad guy because some benders took away precious people and the ponytail guy is also bad because he just hates Amon instead of talking things out so all the benders and non-benders hate each other because wah wah! I don't have special super powers!

Oh and apparently I don't have to have much training to just shoot lighting out of my finger tips while we are on a wild car chase. I just used my lighting attack on some guy. Possibly killed them because you know? You can't survive that s**t unless you use Iroh's secret technique to redirect lighting. Or does everybody just magically get s**t done without thinking twice about the dangers and the goods of bending the elements?

OMFG! This show just pissed me off more than anything. The only thing it's got going is the actors and the animators.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe I just loved ATLA so much that I was hoping that spiritual element and fascination I had would still exist in LOK. But it doesn't. At least not yet. I'm only five episodes in.

Dramatic Protagonist

23,790 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Player 50
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
angelicgoddessofdeath

The story of the Last Airbender continues in a series of comics. There's been three story arcs of it so far: 1. The Promise -2. The Search -3. The Rift. The Promise deals with the immediate aftermath of the war and how team avatar deals with it. The search focuses on the search for Zuko's mom and what happened to her. The Rift involves Toph dealing with her family issues among other things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All I can tell you about Legend of Korra is that it gets better with each season. As the show progresses, there's less teen drama stuff, more character development and more compelling stories and action scenes. There's 4 seasons total.

Antiquarian

29,565 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Invisibility 100
I wouldn't say it's that you loved ATLA too much. I never saw ATLA when I started watching Korra. I did before season 3 started then rewatched Korra. I got angrier than I should have been rewatching Korra. I won't get into it though since there are people get too defensive when Korra's criticized in any way.

If you can stand to watch more go ahead. I will say don't force yourself even for the promise of better seasons. Personally speaking, the better quality of later seasons makes me dislike the earlier ones and feel disgruntled over all.

Edit: I should also point out each season is more or less self contained with new villains each time and on a lot of occasions things from the previous season do not have anything to do with the new one. Less so between 3 and 4 but still an issue.
It was hard for me to watch Korra as well. This arc is so different from the last airbender. It does have some good points in it though, and there are sneak peeks at some of the old gang, or flashes of things that happened post last airbender. But I agree, the comics are really were to go to see what happens after the last airbender.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Why don't you keep watching instead of condeming it after five episodes? What you're feeling is just nostalgia for ATLA; it was explained beforehand the series deals with a new generation
angelicgoddessofdeath
I've got to say after watching the first five episodes; I wanted to cry.

I've watched Avatar the Last Airbender and that show was truly one of a kind. That show made me feel emotions I did not know I could feel for a cartoon character. I was rooting for them the whole time. I was excited to see what would happen. I got to know them from one side and watch them grow as people and become truly amazing!

They were just a bunch of kids suffering from a war. They didn't just sit around and waited for the bad guys to go away. No. They stood up for themselves. They fought a war that they had no choice but to be a part of because sitting around would had gone against everything that they believed in.

I wanted to see what happened after Aang restored peace to all the nations. I wanted to see how Overlord Zuko has treated the people of the fire nation. The fire nation were told how to think and feel for so long that suddenly having a banished prince say, "Things are going to change around here," might have thrown them into chaos.

I wanted to see Toph continue to overcome her fears of parental rejection. I wanted to see how far Sokka and Suki got together and even see how far Katara and Aang got together. I wanted to see Iroh open his tea shop back up and maybe June would stop by for a drink. Heck, I even want to see Appa and Momo argue over food once more.

euuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh some of these things are covered in the comics. in fact i believe there's a whole plot revolving around toph and her family making amends with each other

(i have heard the writing and characterization and pacing are kinda lame but i am no authority on that)

Quote:

What did I instead see? Aang is now Korra and Korra just magically wields 3/4 elements without needing to find her inner self. No chi studying. No inner focus. Just bam! Wham! She just enters in, "I'm the Avatar! Deal with it!"

0.0 ----? WTF did I just witness?

It's established pretty early that Korra is considered a prodigy even by Avatar standards. Is it a boring, shallow excuse? Kinda, yeah, but Korra was meant to be a mini-series; they didn't have time to dedicate entire plot arcs devoted to learning each element like they did in The Last Airbender.

Quote:

So Amon is evil bad guy because some benders took away precious people and the ponytail guy is also bad because he just hates Amon instead of talking things out so all the benders and non-benders hate each other because wah wah! I don't have special super powers!

uhhhhhhhh I can't explain anything about Amon at this point without spoiling you :x——you'll have to keep watching

Quote:

Oh and apparently I don't have to have much training to just shoot lighting out of my finger tips while we are on a wild car chase. I just used my lighting attack on some guy. Possibly killed them because you know? You can't survive that s**t unless you use Iroh's secret technique to redirect lighting. Or does everybody just magically get s**t done without thinking twice about the dangers and the goods of bending the elements?

actually yeah i was kinda surprised too about how common lightning bending became??? especially because it was such a DANGEROUS AND REVERED SECRET TECHNIQUE back in ATLA.

but they can't kill anyone on-screen because blah blah blah kid-friendly network blah blah blah
(i will say that season 3 has not one but two really brutal on-screen deaths, so, uh.....)

Quote:
Maybe I just loved ATLA so much that I was hoping that spiritual element and fascination I had would still exist in LOK. But it doesn't. At least not yet. I'm only five episodes in.

for what it's worth, season 2 deals with spirits and spirituality, but book 2 is also widely panned as the worst season, so.........

overall LOK feels very mediocre compared to ATLA, but i suppose that is what happens when you go from 25 writers to 5 writers and shorter seasons

season 3 is, i think, so far considered the best season. i would say keep watching (but feel free to skip season 2 unless you really want to torture yourself) but also keep your expectations low.

Mega Lunatic

15,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Friendly 100
I want to thank everyone for the positive comments. I'm so glad no one attacked me for dissing a very popular show.

I will say this: I will give season 2 a try and perhaps I'll continue on watching the rest.

I will also have to find these comics some of you have mentioned because well, I really do want to see what happened after the war ended. smile

Feral Wolf

angelicgoddessofdeath
I want to thank everyone for the positive comments. I'm so glad no one attacked me for dissing a very popular show.

I will say this: I will give season 2 a try and perhaps I'll continue on watching the rest.

I will also have to find these comics some of you have mentioned because well, I really do want to see what happened after the war ended. smile

I watch every episode, and each one disappoints me more than the last. korra is horrible. i feel so childish despising a cartoon character this much. i miss aang cat_crying
Korra was 16 and they knew since she was 3 that she was the avatar

Aang ran away at the age of 12 because he had JUST learned he was the avatar

Basically, Aang was trapped in ice with a war going on while Korra had her entire life up until then to learn all the elements. And she hadn't even learned air yet.

It was ridiculous to see Korra bend all 3 elements by the age of 3 though, I guess that was supposed to be comedic, but eh, it kinda ruined the moment

Spoiler alert, the chi training etc will come

-

Korra is showing the aftermath of the Gaang, the police force, Republic City, bloodbending, peace between all nations, lightning... Everything was done by them, and passed on to the new generation, that's why it all seems so normal.

Mega Lunatic

15,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Friendly 100
911-Goten

Basically, Aang was trapped in ice with a war going on while Korra had her entire life up until then to learn all the elements. And she hadn't even learned air yet.

It was ridiculous to see Korra bend all 3 elements by the age of 3 though, I guess that was supposed to be comedic, but eh, it kinda ruined the moment

-

Korra is showing the aftermath of the Gaang, the police force, Republic City, bloodbending, peace between all nations, lightning... Everything was done by them, and passed on to the new generation, that's why it all seems so normal.

Even so, there should had been a brief explanation. There were plenty of brief explanations in ATLA as to why a character or people could do what they did. I swear Toph explained her earth bending at least three times yet in LOK there were no explanations as to why they could magic their bending. Crap! The show made it look like a magic trick. No training. No learning. Just boom baby!

Mega Lunatic

15,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Friendly 100
ItsTimeToPretend
angelicgoddessofdeath

I watch every episode, and each one disappoints me more than the last. korra is horrible. i feel so childish despising a cartoon character this much. i miss aang cat_crying

I completely understand you. I know that it's a cartoon show and I could totally just get over it but it's cartoons that made me passionate about story-telling, voice overs, animation graphics, etc.

Cartoons are a big deal to me. I can absolutely love a cartoon because of the amount of work put into it and I could absolutely hate a cartoon because of poor quality.

I have seen cartoons that only had 13 or so episodes (just like Korra did) and they executed the show wonderfully. We have characters whom we know nothing about in a world we know nothing about and it's up to them to tell us their story. A beginning and then an ending.

There can be arguments that there wasn't enough time yet shows with only 12-15 episodes have excellent time management. There was no excuse for LOK to not pace correctly or express themselves fully.

It's not childish in the least bit to be angry with these characters. I felt nothing towards them. I didn't feel bad for a single character
except for the VERY LAST EPISODE WHEN Amon got the good deed done into him. I hate tri-pony-tail guy with every amount of hate I could muster for a character.
I can tell you,if you dont like season one of Korra. You possibly wont like the rest. Even though Korra was the first Avatar for me to see,and I went back and watched all of Avatar Aang's story.

Just like you OP I have to agree,his story is just beautiful.
angelicgoddessofdeath
911-Goten

-

Even so, there should had been a brief explanation. There were plenty of brief explanations in ATLA as to why a character or people could do what they did. I swear Toph explained her earth bending at least three times yet in LOK there were no explanations as to why they could magic their bending. Crap! The show made it look like a magic trick. No training. No learning. Just boom baby!
Considering the show starts off with showing Korra how she "masters" firebending, it's implied she had the same process with waterbending and earthbending. What's there to explain, anyway?

They already said she was gifted.

Mega Lunatic

15,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Friendly 100
911-Goten
angelicgoddessofdeath
911-Goten

-

Considering the show starts off with showing Korra how she "masters" firebending, it's implied she had the same process with waterbending and earthbending. What's there to explain, anyway?

Toph was gifted; she still explained herself.
angelicgoddessofdeath
911-Goten
angelicgoddessofdeath
911-Goten

-

Toph was gifted; she still explained herself.
Explaining yourself isn't a standard. Toph was blind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff