Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wild Bibliophile

17,650 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100

If you haven't seen the finale i may be addressing spoilers, so you are warned.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I don't see how Korra and Asami's ending scene really states that they're in a romantic relationship.
Now, I am okay with that if that is what the creators were trying to imply (I'm not against LGBT relations), but I feel like it was not meant to be seen as a sexual orientation determinor.

Having grown up in social circles of primarily girls/women/sisters, I have seen so many different interactions between female friends and family members that this scene seemed more a purely deep friendship between two women that have always been there and supported each other through a lot of hard times, than it did a romantic sexual interest.
I think the creators were trying to show that Korra has always had love life issues, and that now that she is grown and has been through so much, she's finding that enjoying time with the people that have been there for her through really hard times are more important than having a romantic partner giving her happiness and self worth.
Korra has always struck me as a character that just wants a family, and close friends that support her, more than a love sick school girl that just wants to find a relationship.

Korra's series has been pretty deep and very complicated with the issues and social commentary that they've brought up, and I support it no matter what way they meant it as. I just wanted to share my thoughts, and maybe hear from some other users that might see the same thing that I did.

Excaliber002's Queen

Sparkly Hoarder

I agree! While it could be read as romantic, neither Korra nor Asami have been seeking out a romantic relationship with anyone for quite some time now. It felt like we were witnessing an intimate moment between two characters but there's lot of intimate moments between friends. Intimate doesn't just mean "sexual". I think they're just looking forward to finally getting to relax, to just be young women and enjoy life. If that means they'll do it together as lovers, good for them. If it means they're doing it merely as besties, good for them. Either is fine with me. I just think that, Korra especially, romance has been more of a tiny subplot for our main cast then the actual focus. Bolin has been the most driven by it, whereas the others kind of let it fall away in favor of the mission. And honestly, I felt that Korra's last moment with Mako was ALSO semi-romantic.
Fully agree with you on that OP.

I never cared for Korra at all. And with the last Ep I'm glad to see Korra became better as a person and less so hot tempered. With the show now done I feel that I will very soon go back and look at it with new eyes. 3nodding
I agree really. While I'm not sure if they wanted to push for that romantic relationship (which is completely possible but they could off been swayed down by Nick) the way it was presented does lead to a more 'close friends' type of interaction. Given their missteps in romance, it seems more as if they had shyed away from really building one up so developing out seems more unlikely.

It is quite possible they attempted to leave it open though, considering I can see it being 'controversial' (being Nick, I'm doubting they are really ones who are big on trying to make political statements) but from the scene it just seems like a 'start' (or simply a renewal) of a very close relationship.
the only way they could have gotten away with pushing for korra & asami together is by pushing them as close friends as much as possible.
they couldn't be flirty.
they couldn't be kissing.
there's way too much hot water for anything that is very construed as "romantic" to had happened.

theres a parallel between the marriage scene stance and how the two pose at the end.

either way
WHOO
happiness and quiet time for the both of them. they deserve it.
gdi i thought you guys were going to discuss the ending holistically

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces