Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Fairy

9,675 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Befriended 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
This evening, I heard about the canon Korrasami ending from a friend online and naturally rushed to watch the last few episodes.

The ending was beautiful.

All along, this show has surrounded a cast of characters growing in numbers, in age and in experiences. Korra started out an unruly, brash teenager who couldn't even get herself to meditate. She was the polar opposite to Aang, which presented a new lens of the Avatar world. She underwent constant struggle, made mistakes left right and center and blundered where assumably, none of the Avatars had before. Korra needed work. And in my opinion? She got that work.

The first season fixated oftentimes on two relatively forced relationships: Korra and Mako, and Asami and Mako. And while moments of each of these were nice for entertainment value, they were nothing new to me. I've seen heterosexual couples plastered all over TV since day one. Both Korra/Mako and Asami/Mako had kissing scenes, had scenes where they had physical intimacy to some degree.And those suited the stage in life the three of them were at.

But as things progressed, from the end of season two and into season three, the emphasis on romance lessened for Mako, Korra and Asami. There were echoes, sure, but all three of them needed to overcome their own obstacles and grow. As someone in that stage in life myself, I can honestly say that the lack of love complicating already complicated situations was incredibly identifiable. I connected immensely with Korra, with her journey towards healing herself, towards understanding herself. I connected with Mako over his desire to pull back from romantic love for the sake of introspection. I connected with Asami over her drive and inspiration and her choice to be there for Korra, but her wisdom not to push for something further than friendship.

Now lets get to the last episode.

I've heard mixed reviews about the lack of a kiss or anything diffinively 'romantic' between Korra and Asami. But here is my take on their scene together.

Asami has just lost her father after finally reconciling with him. Her relationship with him has been messy and complicated. Republic City has been threatened and nearly destroyed, so Asami stood to lose her home. She has presumably held feelings for Korra a decent amount of time now.

Also take into account Korra. She has spent a long time away from home on her own trying to overcome incredibly real mental demons, not to mention the latest crap with Kuvira. There have been threats to the world. She has also changed, and her priorities have changed. Her methods of self expression has changed. Where she'd had been the type the offer Mako a passionate kiss as a younger self, she opted instead to hold hands with Asami, and to me that is reflective of her growth as a person.

Yes, there was probably some degree of censorship from Nickelodeon. Yes, more could have happened between them but there is a crucial piece behind this that I think people are missing.

The ending is not an in your face 'LOOK, THERE ARE GAYS HERE. LOOK AT HOW PROGESSIVE WE ARE' thing that I see a lot of good-intentioned hetero-lens writers doing, but a properly handled scene. The ending scene speaks volumes of hope, and the strength of healthy romantic relationships. Korra and Asami spent time building their relationship and it is that important piece I derive from this ending. It is clear that they love each other. They have both had time to practice being in a relationship as seen with their time with Mako and my impression is that they are taking a different approach to each other here rather the things that didn't work with him.

tl;dr I feel the Korrasami ending was handled respectfully and I don't think they needed a big-a** kiss for the ending to still be proper representation for queer folks. Because love ain't just the touchy feely, and proper queer representation doesn't have to be overt.

Anywho, this is mostly just my only spiel and opinions.

BUT YEAH KORRASAMI, GONNA LOOK UP FANART NOW WOO
This is a pretty good take on "Not seeing the kiss" scene with Korra and Asami. I'm so glad the creators took what they had with the limits of the last seasons and made it their strong points. The fact that they didn't have enough time and the Mako relationships seemed forced, made Korra and Asami's relationship seem more mature since they took a different approach since they could not spend that much time together and were going through a lot of emotional trauma.

Bravo! I'm a frickin' idiot for not seeing that in the first place.

Shoujo Fairy

12,800 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Party Animal 100

Fashionable Shopper

I don't see any indication of them even having anything more than a close friendship aside from what the creators said, honestly.

Big Fairy

9,675 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Befriended 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
LilPinkCandy
I don't see any indication of them even having anything more than a close friendship aside from what the creators said, honestly.

looking back on season three and some of season four, I can definitely see glimmers of something between Korra and Asami that circumstances prevented from further exploration. i here there will be Legend of Korra comics as well and I hope that there will be a little more of the overt for the two of them. i can certainly understand how their relationship could be viewed as just close friends but really, romantic love is expressed in many different shapes and forms.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

A+ analysis. Bravo, OP. crying

LilPinkCandy

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

I am a queer lady. I have had romantic feelings for women as well as close 100% platonic friendships with other women. I do not ship Korrasami personally, but the way they act far more closely resembles the former than the latter. They behave very amorously around each other, and there are direct visual parallels to other canon couples. Korra even blushed, so I'm seriously wondering what would it take for you to see "anything more than a close friendship."

And I mean, plenty of other people saw it, as well as the people who wrote the show and some of the voice actors, so your opinion isn't the only one that counts here...

Fashionable Shopper

Milky Imperius
A+ analysis. Bravo, OP. crying

LilPinkCandy

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

I am a queer lady. I have had romantic feelings for women as well as close 100% platonic friendships with other women. I do not ship Korrasami personally, but the way they act far more closely resembles the former than the latter. They behave very amorously around each other, and there are direct visual parallels to other canon couples. Korra even blushed, so I'm seriously wondering what would it take for you to see "anything more than a close friendship."

And I mean, plenty of other people saw it, as well as the people who wrote the show and some of the voice actors, so your opinion isn't the only one that counts here...

I didn't see any blushing or dating. There was just nothing. Korra was away, she and Asami sent letters and then they went on vacation which are like normal things to do. My sister has super close friends who are girls who behave much more closer than those two ever have. Korra and Asami have barely touched each other until that last scene... it was just weird.

Fashionable Shopper

napp dragon
LilPinkCandy

looking back on season three and some of season four, I can definitely see glimmers of something between Korra and Asami that circumstances prevented from further exploration. i here there will be Legend of Korra comics as well and I hope that there will be a little more of the overt for the two of them. i can certainly understand how their relationship could be viewed as just close friends but really, romantic love is expressed in many different shapes and forms.

It seems.... rushed. There wasn't a date, no noticeable blushing, no holding hands walking down the street, etc. Nothing couple-ly. Just the like "oh these two are now dating, end of series".

Now don't get me wrong, it is extremely noticeable that Korra and Asami's friendship progressed. Korra outright stated that Asami was her only friend whose a girl as she hasn't had much contact with peers of her own age. In my opinion, Asami should have been more of a fixture in the series as working directly beside Korra like Katara did for Aang. It would have just made more sense. Or at least they could have actually shown a few more scenes with Asami caring for Korra. I assume there's where the relationship probably developed more. Like, okay it can be rationalized as to how it could have happened but it doesn't make sense because we saw very little of them progressing past the point of close friends and then BAM.

Wheezing Bloodsucker

2,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
I believe that, in the same Tumblr article that Bryan essentially confirmed the ship was cannon, he also spoke of the difficulties in making a same-sex coupling canon on what is considered a children's television network. Because society is still hung up on the misconception that same-sex relationships are inherently more sexual in nature than opposite-sex relationships, and are therefore deemed "inappropriate for children's stories" while opposite-sex couples are not.

He had been mulling over the idea for awhile before he even went to the bigwigs about it; he was hesitant to even suggest it, because he was afraid he would meet resistance. And when he finally DID pitch the couple to execs, he DID, indeed, meet resistance. The romance was hella subtle throughout the last couple of seasons precisely because that was as much as he could get away with. And so, just like the creators of Adventure Time had to do with Bubbeline, the creators of LoK were forced to resort to just "hinting at the relationship strongly."

And the only reason the ending was permitted to be more obvious was because he hid aspects of the ending from execs and made last minute tweaks (such as having the girls faces each other in the portal and look into each other's eyes).

Why do you think the show had been so utterly sabotaged by Nickelodeon these last two seasons?

That, my friends, is NO coincidence at all.

Here is some more evidence: gifs from the last two seasons; analysis of another scene from the finale.

Hilarious Citizen

10,390 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
This gives me peace of mind.

And you bet your sweet gams that there was hecka censorship. This is Nick we're talking about. The day I see an openly non-hetero relationship on a network like that is the day I sprout wings and fly. My hope in them is so small. u_u

Premium Gaian

THANK YOU FOR THIS!! This is kind of what I've been trying to say to evereyoner about the whole, not much evidence thing. I was more brash, and you are putting it in a wonderfully worded way. I WOULD TIP YOUR POST 1000 times, and thumbs up it even more! ^•^

Aged Rabbit

11,250 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
Gadita
I believe that, in the same Tumblr article that Bryan essentially confirmed the ship was cannon, he also spoke of the difficulties in making a same-sex coupling canon on what is considered a children's television network. Because society is still hung up on the misconception that same-sex relationships are inherently more sexual in nature than opposite-sex relationships, and are therefore deemed "inappropriate for children's stories" while opposite-sex couples are not.

He had been mulling over the idea for awhile before he even went to the bigwigs about it; he was hesitant to even suggest it, because he was afraid he would meet resistance. And when he finally DID pitch the couple to execs, he DID, indeed, meet resistance. The romance was hella subtle throughout the last couple of seasons precisely because that was as much as he could get away with. And so, just like the creators of Adventure Time had to do with Bubbeline, the creators of LoK were forced to resort to just "hinting at the relationship strongly."

And the only reason the ending was permitted to be more obvious was because he hid aspects of the ending from execs and made last minute tweaks (such as having the girls faces each other in the portal and look into each other's eyes).

Why do you think the show had been so utterly sabotaged by Nickelodeon these last two seasons?

That, my friends, is NO coincidence at all.

Here is some more evidence: gifs from the last two seasons; analysis of another scene from the finale.

I'm glad that you mentioned Bubbeline, But I always felt that the relationships in Adventure time seemed more... real? Not just the romantic ones, either, but like the relationship between Marceline and Simon, and I think that's because more time could be spent on fleshing out those relationships on the show. LOK never took the time to flesh out any relationships, so we're stuck with this stuff. That's why so many people ignore the shipping, because the relationships don't get the attention that they need to feel right or real.

Even my (now canon) OTP was rushed, because let's face it, people were dying and they city was being destroyed. They don't have the time to give us good relationships, so they make us fill in the blanks.

Shy Power

20,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
Am I allowed to just leave THIS right here?
(source)

Big Fairy

9,675 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Befriended 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
MyotaHime
(source)

A+

Shy Power

20,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
napp dragon
MyotaHime
(source)

A+

Yay! biggrin I am among friends here emotion_kirakira

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out