Welcome to Gaia! ::

W4NT0N 50UP
Slurpiee
So this whole argument is about some people that thinks a fictional character is bitchy in their eyes. They are judging her harshly and your point is? Stop comparing the characters then. I mean it's not that serious it's a cartoon if people are going to get their panties in a twist because they really don't like a character then don't read their post and watch the show. This whole discussion seems stupid.
It seems stupid because you don't understand that they're judging her harshly because she's a female character. Read the original post if you haven't already, it explains it well and I don't feel like repeating its points because I'd surely mangle them.

And it is kind of something to get serious about when real-world sexism is reflected in evaluations of these quite well-written characters. I have a feeling some people don't even realize the double standard they put on men and women in general and maybe they'd think about that after reading this thread.

Firstly you don't know that they are judging her that way because you're female because I know for a fact you cannot read their minds. Also if you think they are being sexist and double standard based on a cartoon that's your "thing"

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
epicjm777
[Ren The Ryoko]
epicjm777
[Ren The Ryoko]
This has been driving me nuts.

Korra has been getting the brunt of this treatment since LoK started airing. I'm honestly a little disgusted by the amount of hate she has gotten for being "bitchy." It's not only inaccurate, but a high gendered way of disregarding her as a character for having traits that are traditionally applauded in men.

It's completely absurd. If Korra were a male character, no one would call HIM "bitchy" for being assertive, confident and empowered.

And can you imagine if Mako and Bolin were female characters? Mako would be a "stuck up b***h" and Bolin would be a "dumb slut."

The way that female characters are treated by fandom is disgusting, and the double standard is stagering. And it's especially insane since Bryke is SO GOOD about writing likable, empowered, interesting, fully fleshed out, varied female characters. Some series have legitly shitty writers who "Can't write women" to save their lives, and a lot of the complaints against those female characters are understandable.
But Avatar/Korra is not one of those series. At all.

It makes me afraid for when Asami joins the group.

you sound so familiar.

i can understand your distress but let's see how this anime goes. I'm liking the Legend of Korra because i love the Avatar Cycle, seeing the complete change in character, as each of the Avatars would aim to restore Balance to the world and it was their purpose.

I can understand the haters of Korra too because most of the haters have 1 quality trait in common, which is the lack of interest for certain female traits. Examples would be like women can be Assertive which is kool, but when it comes to certain circumstances like women's interest & situations that involve female talk it's quite annoying for the male haters because both men & women have something in common which is "you can't be too desperate or too cheery, you must be aloof."

Male masses have a mentality to ruin confidence for people and is also common in females, but when it comes to female personas, Men tend to get very "insulting" about it because they just don't want to know such topics about female achievements because it has been like that for awhile, it's like it lowers testosterone flow for some weird reason.

Empowerment as a trait on a female also insults men's lack of necessity, some men are needed, and guys might find it too emotional. I find Korra an interesting character. Personally because she can be the Next Avatar who has potential to surpass the glory of Aang, as well of the past female glories of Kyoshi, and Yangchen which are the female Avatars before her.

Korra lacks some Avatar Roku traits, she is an extremely prodigy developed Avatar, she just lacks the calm collected discipline, patience, and peace that Roku presented. Korra is as assertive as Aang. Korra is a powerful bender indeed, but can she be as Powerful as Kyoshi? Kyoshi is known to be the represantation of a Pioneer who developed an isolated Utopia, Kyoshi defeated Chin the conqueror (keep in mind Chin was corrupted anyway), and created Kyoshi Island. Can Korra be as Merciless as Yangchen the Air Nomdic Female Avatar? Yangchen was a Powerful bender as well but she kept Balance over the World in an accurate manner, and she even involved her self-sacrifice of her spiritual needs in order to kept balance to the world.

Let's just hope Korra does not become like the Water tribe Avatar Kuruk, who in his time was prosperous, but sadly lost his focus for keeping dedication onto his relationship instead of his Avatar duty. Let us also hope that Korra can become as kool as The Lavabending Avatar before Yangchen, who this fire nation avatar with his individuality created Lavabending. Korra should create something like Stormbending involving both Waterbending, Airbending, Firebending and Lightningbending united and coherent. THAT WOULD BE SO AWE-INSPIRING AMONG THE AVATARS!!!!!!!.......

Maybe I'm just a little sleepy right now, but I'm having a hard time following the...uh....flow of your argument.

Like I get that...you're saying that it's still very early in Korra's story to make too many judgements about how she will compare to past Avatars.

But...Could you try...restating the rest of that for me?

you sound so familiar.

i can understand your distress but let's see how this anime goes. I'm liking the Legend of Korra because i love the Avatar Cycle, seeing the complete change in character, as each of the Avatars would aim to restore Balance to the world and it was their purpose.

I can understand the haters of Korra too because most of the haters have 1 quality trait in common, which is the lack of interest for certain female traits.

1) Examples would be like women can be Assertive which is kool, but when it comes to certain circumstances like women's interest & situations that involves female talk it's quite annoying for the male haters.

2) Both men & women have something in common which is "you can't be too desperate or too cheery, you must be aloof." involving the how some guys don't like happy women and some women don't like needy men, or Jerks.

3) Male masses have a mentality to ruin confidence for people and is also common in females, but when it comes to female personas, Men tend to get "Very Insulting" they just don't care such topics about female achievements because it's like it lowers testosterone flow for some weird reason.

4) Empowerment as a trait on a female also insults men's lack of necessity, some men are needed, and guys might find it "too emotional."

I find Korra an interesting character. Personally because she can be the Next Avatar who has potential to surpass the glory of Aang, as well of the past female glories of Kyoshi, and Yangchen which are the female Avatars before her.

Avatar Roku comparison- Korra lacks some Avatar Roku traits, she is an extremely prodigy developed Avatar, she just lacks the calm collected discipline, patience, and peace that Roku presented.

Avatar Aang Comparison- Korra is as assertive as Aang. Aang left Republic city in the hands of Korra, passing down a Utopian Restoration task, in order to truly keep peace in the World.

Avatar Kyoshi comparison- Korra is a powerful bender indeed, but can she be as Powerful as Kyoshi? Kyoshi is known to be the represantation of a Pioneer who developed an isolated Utopia, Kyoshi defeated Chin the conqueror (keep in mind Chin was corrupted anyway), and created Kyoshi Island.

Avatar Yangchen Comparison- Can Korra be as Merciless as Yangchen the Air Nomdic Female Avatar? Yangchen was a Powerful bender as well but she kept Balance over the World in an accurate manner, and she even involved her self-sacrifice of her spiritual needs in order to kept balance to the world.

Avatar Kuruk Comparison- Let's just hope Korra does not become like the Water tribe Avatar Kuruk, who in his time was prosperous, but sadly lost his focus for keeping dedication onto his relationship instead of his Avatar duty.

The Lavabending Avatar comparison- Let us also hope that Korra can become as kool as The Lavabending Avatar before Yangchen, whom this fire nation avatar with his individuality created Lavabending. Korra should create something like Stormbending involving both Waterbending, Airbending, Firebending and Lightningbending united, simultaneously, and coherent. THAT WOULD BE SO AWE-INSPIRING AMONG THE AVATARS!!!!!!!.......

It's just too early to start pointing fingers, or creating a fandom that involves Hater rebellion, and Lover aristocracy.

I do feel a bit nostalgic, because i want to know more on the foundation of Republic city. Since all we know was that Avatar Aang, Fire Lord Zuko, the Leader of the Water Tribe Chiefdom, and probably King Bumi, the Beifong family and the Order of the White Lotus began an idea to create a Place were there would be "Utopian Peace, and Balance to the World" that mixed all of the Cultures of the 4 nations providing political stability, and unity among the masses no matter bender, non-bender, Fire nation, Earth Kingdom, Water Tribe, or Air Acolyte/Air nomad.

That....didn't clear up any of my questions really. You just added paragraph breaks and numbers....

So...are you saying that....Korra is getting hate because....Men are...inherently...threatened by a strong female character?

Heckler

Slurpiee
Firstly you don't know that they are judging her that way because you're female because I know for a fact you cannot read their minds. Also if you think they are being sexist and double standard based on a cartoon that's your "thing"
Okay, both of these things have been addressed in the post but you're either completely missing it or haven't actually read it so here:

If Korra were a male character, no one would call HIM "bitchy" for being assertive, confident and empowered.

And can you imagine if Mako and Bolin were female characters? Mako would be a "stuck up b***h" (cold, blunt, abrupt, generally mean and inconsiderate to anyone who isn't his brother) and Bolin would be a "dumb slut" (flirty, irresponsible, hatches harebrained schemes, gets kidnapped because he got too deep in something).

Italics are my clarification for you. That is how I have at least an inkling that most of these people who dislike Korra are largely evaluating her on the harsh guidelines for female characters and women in general. Women can't be ambitious or tough or rebellious without being called a b***h, while men are admired for these traits. And look at this forum. How many people are making threads about how much they hate Mako or Bolin? Absolutely no one. The worst criticism you get about them is that they're not enough like their "counterparts" in A:TLA.

And I don't even know what you mean by that being my "thing". It's kind of painfully obvious that female characters get the short end of the stick when it comes to writing and popularity and that doesn't just happen. That's part and parcel with a still largely sexist culture.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Slurpiee
How about we all just watch the show and stop complaining how some people are calling her bitchy. Let them have their opinions and you can keep yours but at the end of the day it's a T.V. show and people will keep their opinions no matter what you say.

You realize that people's opinions do not exist within a void, right?
That they are influenced by real world values, prejudices, and ethics, right?
stare stare @ people who insert themselves into a conversation that discusses serious issues and try to derail and tell people they're wrong. That 'it doesn't matter' attitude is part of the problem. How come whenever the topic of sexism against females comes up, someone always feels the need to be dismissive? Come on, now. stare

Heckler

[Ren The Ryoko]
That....didn't clear up any of my questions really. You just added paragraph breaks and numbers....

So...are you saying that....Korra is getting hate because....Men are...inherently...threatened by a strong female character?
Well if it's any comfort I've been puzzling over that post all afternoon and I think that's what they're trying to say but it kind of rambles on so I can't... be sure. ;;

Hunter

User Image

Actually, being on this forum is the first time I've even heard Korra described as bitchy. All my friends love her.

Swashbuckling Dabbler

7,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Clambake 200
I LOVE YOU~!!!

9,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
The OP of this topic is my new favorite person. heart

Rainbow Gawker

Xiam
I have not once ever heard anyone say Toph is "bitchy," and she's very much the same as Korra. Sheltered, wanting her freedom, and yes, a bit abrasive (though Toph is perhaps moreso). And people love Toph, don't they? I honestly don't see the issue with Korra at all.

The only reason I can see why people wouldn't like her is because she's not Aang.

it could also be that toph is super cute and blind.

Devoted Sage

Thank you so much for posting this! I love Korra, and I'm glad to see an assertive female for once. I have no problems with characters like Ty Lee unless that's how EVERY female in the show is portrayed, and more often than not, that's exactly what it's like. Thank god Avatar knows how to balance character personalities.

Invisible Regular

C.D.
The OP of this topic is my new favorite person. heart
I've actually only heard about Korra not being feminine enough by fans who dislike her, but that could just be my personal circle of friends. It kinda pisses me off too because they're the people trying to buy into the romantic archetype of the submissive female and the dominant male. Aka, Katara x Zuko. It's a somewhat sickening expectation that the "proper" or "perfect" pairing has to involve a feminine female, something that Korra (in their eyes) doesn't seem to fit.

But I stand by my opinion that if people stopped looking at characters and judging them by their pairing potential, they wouldn't hate certain ones that much. The Avatar fandom has always had a huge problem with its pairing wars, and I really don't want to see Korra going down that path again. The hate for certain characters just because they pose a threat to a fan's preferred pairing, or because they don't fit into a certain relationship mold is just... childish.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Omikamii Amaterasu
I've actually only heard about Korra not being feminine enough by fans who dislike her, but that could just be my personal circle of friends. It kinda pisses me off too because they're the people trying to buy into the romantic archetype of the submissive female and the dominant male. Aka, Katara x Zuko. It's a somewhat sickening expectation that the "proper" or "perfect" pairing has to involve a feminine female, something that Korra (in their eyes) doesn't seem to fit.

But I stand by my opinion that if people stopped looking at characters and judging them by their pairing potential, they wouldn't hate certain ones that much. The Avatar fandom has always had a huge problem with its pairing wars, and I really don't want to see Korra going down that path again. The hate for certain characters just because they pose a threat to a fan's preferred pairing, or because they don't fit into a certain relationship mold is just... childish.

My FAVORITE thing about Mako and Korra is that like..Korra really is more assertive and confidant than Mako. Mako's kind of a dork. XD

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Dark_Lady_Jade
stare stare @ people who insert themselves into a conversation that discusses serious issues and try to derail and tell people they're wrong. That 'it doesn't matter' attitude is part of the problem. How come whenever the topic of sexism against females comes up, someone always feels the need to be dismissive? Come on, now. stare

Because anyone who is concerned about gender equality is clearly "crazy", and "over reacting" and all that other dismissive bullshit.
It's easier to live in ignorance than face an ugly truth

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces