Welcome to Gaia! ::

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Korra's not a b***h.
She's sexy. emotion_donotwant

Dangerous Visionary

Asami is NOT a c**k stealing slut either! classified_fu Poor girl. I really like her as I'm an equal opportunity shipper or EPS. emotion_awesome I mean ******** I just have a fleet of ships; I don't even care where they go as long as they all get some love.

Wealthy Bloodsucker

13,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
User Image

You're going to see this one a lot in this thread. Thank you for making this thread. You're so right about it and I just wish that Korra was around with I was a teenage.
Bitches love being called bitches.
So a strong female character is assertive, and a run in guns blazing type of person? If so then i must have what a strong character male or female is. Sorry that's not strength imo, Katara was a strong female character. She had compassion, patience, was generous, and selfless. That makes a strong character male or female. Just because a woman can stomp her foot and make s**t happen like a stereotypical action hero (male) does not make her strong. Take Iroh for example i dare someone not to call him a strong character, he put up with Zuko's s**t to help guide his nephew. He had the same traits as Katara, but he had to be the assertive, take-no-prisoners-bad-a** first to realize it. Korra is a great character and with the right guidance she will become more like Roku, Iroh, Katara, Tenzin, and (Older Aang,) So sorry if i don't agree with you that shes not a strong character (yet), she kind of is a b***h but its a phase that the MOST understanding, caring, compassionate, selfless characters have to go through. Even in episode 4 when she calls out Amon it was a stupid thing to do, a b***h move if i say so myself. But just like if a male character did it i would say hes being a prideful tool bag. Its not a b***h in a bad way, just like i could say Zuko used to be a D-bag. I think people need to understand what makes someone truly strong, character wise before they just go pulling the sexist card.

Heckler

Okay, taking aside all of that stuff about Korra being a strong character for traits other than her ability to kick a**, not that it doesn't help, which we both agree on and was not in any way what the op was asserting...
Atlas The Wicked
Its not a b***h in a bad way.
There is no "good way" to call someone a b***h derogatorily. Also you seem to miss the point of the op that female characters (and women in general) are called "bitches" for being self-assured and confident but male characters (and men in general) are not. That's the whole double standard referenced in the title of this thread.
W4NT0N 50UP
Okay, taking aside all of that stuff about Korra being a strong character for traits other than her ability to kick a**, not that it doesn't help, which we both agree on and was not in any way what the op was asserting...
Atlas The Wicked
Its not a b***h in a bad way.
There is no "good way" to call someone a b***h derogatorily. Also you seem to miss the point of the op that female characters (and women in general) are called "bitches" for being self-assured and confident but male characters (and men in general) are not. That's the whole double standard referenced in the title of this thread.

I am only saying the word b***h because it was used before me. I find anyone, male or female that cocky a bad character trait. The best characters in the show are humble and the other characters are most dependent on them. I don't see it as a double standard and i think the people who make it out to be like that are just upset shes a cocky butt head. They might not know how to express what they actually think of Korra, and have to revert to just calling her a b***h. I didn't miss the point i just don't see it the same way as her on how its a double standard. Then again i probably think more in-depth about her character than the trolls calling her a b***h. I just think she generalized males as a** holes who hate strong women, and that's why i put my two cents in. From reading this thread, well the first few pages, it seemed like she only had contact with one person who thought that way. Then she makes a thread and totally is accusing males of hating strong women characters. Men have to keep up the stigma of always being confident because some women say they want a strong man. Then when its convenient want a sensitive man. Lets just let her character play through to its potential before we start labeling what type of character she is. I am very confident that her character is going to change to that of the more humble characters. In time i think even the people calling her a b***h will see that shes a teenager and its something she just has to go through. I had no problem with her taking about how something made her angry that was a double standard By doing that though she tried to use men as a scapegoat saying that we hate strong women.
I have seen so such thing D: even on tumblr I've only seen people who love my baby Korra

Demonic Enchantress

27,500 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Brandisher 100
emotion_brofist @ this thread, only because there is no applause emote.

I love, and I mean, love love love, strong female characters in my anime, and Korra is beginning to be my poster girl for it, along with the Major from Ghost in the Shell and Balsa from Moribito.

Lazy Kitty

11,215 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
This thread made rofl so much fighting I just read................
I havn't read all the pages on this thread but I really don't understand what the problem is with a female being badass/strong. Even when a female character is weak i don't understand what the problem is. Yes female characters get stereotyped for being weak (or at least used to) but there are different types of female characters. Some of them are damsels in distress and others take care of themselves. If people didn't make a problem out of it, there would be no problem.

I do agree however if, for instance, in a movie all of the female characters are showed in a certain stereotype (helpless/whatever) then that is a different case. But from the series of Legend of Aang and Legend of Korra we have seen there are many types of different female characters.

Being strong doesn't make someone a b***h. It just makes them strong. In my opinion a b***h is someone (male or female) who is a spoiled brat and expects everyone to do whatever they want or else they will whine at you.

But besides that, i really love Korra. ;D

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I aggree with the OP
personally, when I first heard that the next Avatar was going to be a girl, I was a little worried
I was afraid she'd turn out to be a Sakura or an Akane xp
but since the writers developed Katarra and Toph, who are strong, well rounded, non-sterotypical girls, I held out hope that Korra would be the same, and I was not dissapointed.

Korra is not bitchy
she is strong willed and a touch cocky to be sure, but that's not what makes a girl bitchy
Bitchy is when a girl walks around with a chip on her shoulder, waiting to attack anyone for a percieved insult
BItchy is when a girl is constantly putting down guys because she somehow feels empowered by doing so

Korra has displayed neither of these attributes
She obviously like showing off, but she's also secure enough in her own identity that she doesn't go around trying to prove herself
like when she and Mako first met and he totally dissed her? She may have gotten a little put out, but she didn't insult him or carry a grudge about it

In short, Korra has very strong masculine sides, but she doesn't feel the need to compete with boys and doesn't turn it into some gender war
She knows who she is, she relishes who she is, and she expects the world to deal with it

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Atlas The Wicked
So a strong female character is assertive, and a run in guns blazing type of person? If so then i must have what a strong character male or female is. Sorry that's not strength imo, Katara was a strong female character. She had compassion, patience, was generous, and selfless. That makes a strong character male or female. Just because a woman can stomp her foot and make s**t happen like a stereotypical action hero (male) does not make her strong. Take Iroh for example i dare someone not to call him a strong character, he put up with Zuko's s**t to help guide his nephew. He had the same traits as Katara, but he had to be the assertive, take-no-prisoners-bad-a** first to realize it. Korra is a great character and with the right guidance she will become more like Roku, Iroh, Katara, Tenzin, and (Older Aang,) So sorry if i don't agree with you that shes not a strong character (yet), she kind of is a b***h but its a phase that the MOST understanding, caring, compassionate, selfless characters have to go through. Even in episode 4 when she calls out Amon it was a stupid thing to do, a b***h move if i say so myself. But just like if a male character did it i would say hes being a prideful tool bag. Its not a b***h in a bad way, just like i could say Zuko used to be a D-bag. I think people need to understand what makes someone truly strong, character wise before they just go pulling the sexist card.

There are MULTIPLE ways to be strong. Favoring one over the other (being confident, assertive, and physically powerful or being very emotionally grounded and supportive) is a rather faulty way of thinking.

Yes, Katara and Iroh were both very emotionally strong characters. But you'd have to be crazy to say that Azula, who was assertive and self-motivated, wasn't also strong.

You're falling into a false binary.

Demonic Raider

8,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Befriended 100
It's about gender discrimination, it's been going on for a while even when we people deny it.

And also...strong words, my friend. Strong words. Cyber fist bump!

Invisible Friend

4,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
........All this talk about Korra being a b***h. emotion_0A0 She is SO not a b***h, she's just confident and assertive. If you think that Korra Is a b***h, then you are not used to that type of girl or your'e a nostalgatard complaining about wanting Aang back. I like Korra! THE END! emotion_dealwithit

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff