Welcome to Gaia! ::

For the future, don't type out the N word. Just typing 'N-word' is fine.
I love you Ren.

Distinct Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
SailorSanta
Dove_of_Dawn
Just remember, a way to take fire out of 'b***h'.

A b***h is a dog, and dogs bark, and bark is on trees, and trees are part of nature, and nature can be beautiful. So, thank them instead of yelling at them. xD

That logic is flawed. Changing the meaning of the word doesn't change the intent nor context of how it was used. If people are using it as a sexist remark it needs to be addressed as such. I ******** hate when people do that substitution bullshit. When someone uses the word ****** against Black people in a racist context don't just go, "oh well its just a word and it has different meanings like ignorant, buddy or homey." 4laugh That's simplistic and doesn't change a damn thing in the long run.

Jeez, don't jump don't my throat. o.O I was just trying to lighten the mood a little. Sorry, won't make that mistake again. Besides, it takes their fire away when you thank them for an insult. Trust me, it's worked before. I wasn't trying to diffuse the meaning, merely giving a way to take the fire out of them. At least trying to. -goes to hide away from the thread-

Invisible Regular

Dove_of_Dawn
SailorSanta
Dove_of_Dawn

A b***h is a dog, and dogs bark, and bark is on trees, and trees are part of nature, and nature can be beautiful. So, thank them instead of yelling at them. xD

That logic is flawed. Changing the meaning of the word doesn't change the intent nor context of how it was used. If people are using it as a sexist remark it needs to be addressed as such. I ******** hate when people do that substitution bullshit. When someone uses the word ****** against Black people in a racist context don't just go, "oh well its just a word and it has different meanings like ignorant, buddy or homey." 4laugh That's simplistic and doesn't change a damn thing in the long run.

Jeez, don't jump don't my throat. o.O I was just trying to lighten the mood a little. Sorry, won't make that mistake again. Besides, it takes their fire away when you thank them for an insult. Trust me, it's worked before. I wasn't trying to diffuse the meaning, merely giving a way to take the fire out of them. At least trying to. -goes to hide away from the thread-

Not trying to be mean to you personally (sorry if you feel that way) but really that kind of stuff does get on my nerves when people try to sugarcoat any 'ism with stuff like that.

Distinct Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
SailorSanta
Dove_of_Dawn
SailorSanta
Dove_of_Dawn

Not trying to be mean to you personally (sorry if you feel that way) but really that kind of stuff does get on my nerves when people try to sugarcoat any 'ism with stuff like that.

S'cool, I understand.

Reddel's Wife

Hot Wench

meh, opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Cerebus05
meh, opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

Yes.

But unlike bellybuttons, opinions are the products of cultural and personal ethics, morals, experiences and prejudices. Some can be well informed, while others ignorant. Some can we reasonable, while others fallacious.
Not all opinions are created equal.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Creativerealms
I love you Ren.

XD Thanks.

Man, I go to work for a few hours and the thread has continued to bulldoze along without me.

Nimble Bunny

8,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Madame Royale
User Image
[Ren The Ryoko]
This has been driving me nuts.

Korra has been getting the brunt of this treatment since LoK started airing. I'm honestly a little disgusted by the amount of hate she has gotten for being "bitchy." It's not only inaccurate, but a high gendered way of disregarding her as a character for having traits that are traditionally applauded in men.

It's completely absurd. If Korra were a male character, no one would call HIM "bitchy" for being assertive, confident and empowered.

And can you imagine if Mako and Bolin were female characters? Mako would be a "stuck up b***h" and Bolin would be a "dumb slut."

The way that female characters are treated by fandom is disgusting, and the double standard is stagering. And it's especially insane since Bryke is SO GOOD about writing likable, empowered, interesting, fully fleshed out, varied female characters. Some series have legitly shitty writers who "Can't write women" to save their lives, and a lot of the complaints against those female characters are understandable.
But Avatar/Korra is not one of those series. At all.

It makes me afraid for when Asami joins the group.
um ok

Dangerous Visionary

[Ren The Ryoko]
Creativerealms
I love you Ren.

XD Thanks.

Man, I go to work for a few hours and the thread has continued to bulldoze along without me.

Because its that good. Well you're that good. This needs to be a memorable thread.

Swashbuckling Dabbler

7,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Clambake 200
[Ren The Ryoko]
Suicidesoldier#1
[Ren The Ryoko]
Suicidesoldier#1
[Ren The Ryoko]
Suicidesoldier#1

Power?

Korra isn't a minority, men and woman are in equal amounts on this planet, about 50/50. O_o

And what molds is she breaking?

She is a clear cliche. ._.

Women are often considered a minority group because women are systematically oppressed in many ways within our culture.
She's also not white. While this doesn't seem to be of any issue within the AVATAR universe, it is very meaningful within OUR culture to have that character.

And I'm sorry, can you name any other androgynous non-white female action heroes that aren't hyper sexualized in mainstream media at the moment? In media aimed at younger views on top of that?

Pinkie pie...? O_o

You see her as not "white", she could just be tannish. O_o

You're not really a minority unless you are a minority, that's just silly.

Also again, what does any of this have to do with power?

I'm going to go out on a limb though.

Being the exact opposite of your own perception of what a female is does not make them powerful. They could follow any number of cliches or anything, be exactly how society expects them to or not and it would have no bearing on power. Choosing how they want to be ultimately makes them "powerful".

Making a decision based on other people's opinions or expectations- even if it's the exact opposite thing- makes a person just as weak.

If you conform to what they do or you do the exact opposite, just becuase they do it, then you are weak nonetheless. Doing what society expects of you or the opposite, just because the expect it of you makes you a conformist. You could do everything you want without bearing on other people's opinions and end up exactly how society expected you to be, but becuase you made the choice is why you're strong and what you should do. If you do the opposite thing then society has just as much control over you- they could say, hey, don't commit suicide, and then would you? You'd be just as much under their control. The point is to make your own decisions and do what you want, without worry of how other people think or it's bearing to their expectation, and to me it's not refreshing to have just another cliche and stereotype based on the same flawed principles, it's just annoying, boring to say the least.

Uh...Korra is not "tan"
The water tribes are based on Inuit culture. She's not white. - . -;

Korra stands out as a non-white female action hero.
Her personality is an interesting mix of traits, and I don't think that she really easily fits into ANY cliche.

I'm aware that agency is an important factor in how "strong" a character can be seen within their own story. Korra has plenty of agency as well.

That's your own perception.

Why you care so much that she's not white and a female I don't really know, probs cause your racist and sexist. O_o

No, it's not my perception. The water tribes are based on Inuit culture. Have you ever seen an Inuit person?

I CARE so much because I am aware of the disproportionate representation of minorities in main stream culture, and I applaud the diversity that we see in Korra.

Man, don't you just LOVE the argument that if you care about ANYTHING that happens to be about equality and respect, and happens to be the opposite of yourself, you're obviously homophobic/racist/abelist/transphobic/etc?

God that argument is stupid.

*headdesks at the wall that won't shut up*

I had to put him on ignore a while back.

He just. Won't. STOP.

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150

Corazon de la Loba

Honestly, I am getting really sick of those. "I HATE KORRA, I MISS ANNG" Posts.

We only watched just THREE episodes of this show and now people are complaining about it? e_e

As much as I like Anng, there were a lot of things that he didn't wanted to be the avatar in the first place. For Korra, at least she embrace being the Avatar

I don't really see Korra being all "Bitchy." Is it bad that we finally get a female role with a personality?

-~-♥-~-

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
[Shewolf]

Corazon de la Loba

Honestly, I am getting really sick of those. "I HATE KORRA, I MISS ANNG" Posts.

We only watched just THREE episodes of this show and now people are complaining about it? e_e

As much as I like Anng, there were a lot of things that he didn't wanted to be the avatar in the first place. For Korra, at least she embrace being the Avatar

I don't really see Korra being all "Bitchy." Is it bad that we finally get a female role with a personality?

-~-♥-~-

I feel like SOME of the Korra hate is nothing more than nostalgia bull s**t. But some of it is much more problematic.
I've yet to see these kind of comments since I hardly know anyone who watches it and tumblr's tag is so backed up with shipping wars, but it was kind of obvious such comments would happen considering Korra is a strong, minority female. She's all I could want as a main character, though. She's far from the dainty, doe eyed apologetic female characters that seem to reoccur wayyy to much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff