Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
This has been driving me nuts.

Korra has been getting the brunt of this treatment since LoK started airing. I'm honestly a little disgusted by the amount of hate she has gotten for being "bitchy." It's not only inaccurate, but a high gendered way of disregarding her as a character for having traits that are traditionally applauded in men.

It's completely absurd. If Korra were a male character, no one would call HIM "bitchy" for being assertive, confident and empowered.

And can you imagine if Mako and Bolin were female characters? Mako would be a "stuck up b***h" and Bolin would be a "dumb slut."

The way that female characters are treated by fandom is disgusting, and the double standard is stagering. And it's especially insane since Bryke is SO GOOD about writing likable, empowered, interesting, fully fleshed out, varied female characters. Some series have legitly shitty writers who "Can't write women" to save their lives, and a lot of the complaints against those female characters are understandable.
But Avatar/Korra is not one of those series. At all.

It makes me afraid for when Asami joins the group.

Invisible Regular

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I have not once ever heard anyone say Toph is "bitchy," and she's very much the same as Korra. Sheltered, wanting her freedom, and yes, a bit abrasive (though Toph is perhaps moreso). And people love Toph, don't they? I honestly don't see the issue with Korra at all.

The only reason I can see why people wouldn't like her is because she's not Aang.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Xiam
I have not once ever heard anyone say Toph is "bitchy," and she's very much the same as Korra. Sheltered, wanting her freedom, and yes, a bit abrasive (though Toph is perhaps moreso). And people love Toph, don't they? I honestly don't see the issue with Korra at all.

The only reason I can see why people wouldn't like her is because she's not Aang.

It might be partly because Toph is a lot less traditionally feminine than Korra. Confident and masculine is acceptable. Confident and feminine is bitchy.

Other than that, it might just be people nostalgia-bullshittin for Aang.

Fluffy Creature

Korra haters wouldn't call maleKorra a "b***h," they would call him a "douchebag" or "a*****e."

That aside, I don't have any problems with Korra, and I prefer her over Aang. But people are dumb.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Troy the confuzed
Korra haters wouldn't call maleKorra a "b***h," they would call him a "douchebag" or "a*****e."

That aside, I don't have any problems with Korra, and I prefer her over Aang. But people are dumb.

I'm not convinced that Korra would receive NEARLY as much hate if she were a boy character. Bolin is confident and friendly like Korra and no one is giving him s**t. Sokka was confident, AND rather sexist, and not even as competent in battle until half way through season 3, and no one really gave him any s**t. Or Zuko who was hot headed and full of himself? Never got this much s**t.

Confidence and assertiveness is traditionally praised in male characters.
I haven't really seen Korra described as 'bitchy' but I have seen people call her a brat, or obnoxious, or be quick to describe/portray her as 'masculine', and it annoys me. Or when before the show was even close to debuting, if she was portrayed with pale skin in fan art she was made more girly and always paired with a man, but if she had her actual brown skin in fan art, she'd always be paired with a woman (Yue or Katara, usually) and portrayed more as a man.

I stare @ people who do stuff like that, because it says a lot without saying anything.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Dark_Lady_Jade
I haven't really seen Korra described as 'bitchy' but I have seen people call her a brat, or obnoxious, or be quick to describe/portray her as 'masculine', and it annoys me. Or when before the show was even close to debuting, if she was portrayed with pale skin in fan art she was made more girly and always paired with a man, but if she had her actual brown skin in fan art, she'd always be paired with a woman (Yue or Katara, usually) and portrayed more as a man.

I stare @ people who do stuff like that, because it says a lot without saying anything.

Yeah. That's deeply problematic.

Anytime a not-so-feminine character is super feminized in fan art when paired with a boy I find myself really, really bothered. (It happens to Toph all the time in fan art)

And the white washing issue isn't terribly...good either. At all. Though I will say, I'm not an artist, and sometimes people are just unskilled with how to manipulate lighting. So determining whether fan art is really being white-washed or is just an example of poor lighting skills and coloring skills can be hard to determine.

Dangerous Visionary

Dark_Lady_Jade
I haven't really seen Korra described as 'bitchy'.

Backstory time: Ain't gonna link it but we did have a thread last night where the OP did in fact call Korra a b***h, didn't like "strong" women (Wonder Woman included) emotion_0A0 Oh and they claimed they can't be sexist because "LULZ I'm a gurl too how can I be sexist hur derp!" In which the majority of us just stopped posting as we were too busy face palming and/or head desking our brains out.

Which I just I can't clap hard enough for it. Thank you OP for preaching against the sexism. This is why studios have always been wary of female main characters because of bullshit like this and why Wonder Woman can't get a movie. classified_fu Hate this ******** double standard.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Miss-dark8607
Dark_Lady_Jade

Backstory time: Ain't gonna link it but we did have a thread last night where the OP did in fact call Korra a b***h, didn't like "strong" women (Wonder Woman included) emotion_0A0 Oh and they claimed they can't be sexist because "LULZ I'm a gurl too how can I be sexist hur derp!" In which the majority of us just stopped posting as we were too busy face palming and/or head desking our brains out.

Which I just I can't clap hard enough for it. Thank you OP for preaching against the sexism. This is why studios have always been wary of female main characters because of bullshit like this and why Wonder Woman can't get a movie. classified_fu Hate this ******** double standard.

And so often if we DO get a "Strong" female lead, they are hyper-sexualized. Ah the woes of a media conscious feminist.

That's one of the most refreshing and compelling aspects of Avatar and Korra though. Really strong, fun, empowered female characters.

Dangerous Visionary

[Ren The Ryoko]
Miss-dark8607
Dark_Lady_Jade

And so often if we DO get a "Strong" female lead, they are hyper-sexualized. Ah the woes of a media conscious feminist.

That's one of the most refreshing and compelling aspects of Avatar and Korra though. Really strong, fun, empowered female characters.

Indeed. 3nodding Luckily this isn't Japan so they could only go so far with the "balloon" chest physics. emotion_facepalm Yeah series like this give me hope than maybe just maybe Wonder Woman, Sailor Moon, and other strong females can finally have a place on American TV and be treated with a lot more respect than last time around. emotion_dowant

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Miss-dark8607
[Ren The Ryoko]
Miss-dark8607
Dark_Lady_Jade

Indeed. 3nodding Luckily this isn't Japan so they could only go so far with the "balloon" chest physics. emotion_facepalm Yeah series like this give me hope than maybe just maybe Wonder Woman, Sailor Moon, and other strong females can finally have a place on American TV and be treated with a lot more respect than last time around. emotion_dowant

Every step forward is a step in the right direction at least.

Dangerous Visionary

[Ren The Ryoko]

And thanks for trying to guide folks into it. 3nodding Need more people like you around here.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Miss-dark8607
[Ren The Ryoko]

And thanks for trying to guide folks into it. 3nodding Need more people like you around here.

Sometimes you just gotta say "******** it" to the patriarchy man. XD
[Ren The Ryoko]
This has been driving me nuts.

Korra has been getting the brunt of this treatment since LoK started airing. I'm honestly a little disgusted by the amount of hate she has gotten for being "bitchy." It's not only inaccurate, but a high gendered way of disregarding her as a character for having traits that are traditionally applauded in men.

It's completely absurd. If Korra were a male character, no one would call HIM "bitchy" for being assertive, confident and empowered.

And can you imagine if Mako and Bolin were female characters? Mako would be a "stuck up b***h" and Bolin would be a "dumb slut."

The way that female characters are treated by fandom is disgusting, and the double standard is stagering. And it's especially insane since Bryke is SO GOOD about writing likable, empowered, interesting, fully fleshed out, varied female characters. Some series have legitly shitty writers who "Can't write women" to save their lives, and a lot of the complaints against those female characters are understandable.
But Avatar/Korra is not one of those series. At all.

It makes me afraid for when Asami joins the group.

you sound so familiar. i can understand your distress but let's see how this anime goes. I'm liking the Legend of Korra because i love the Avatar Cycle, seeing the complete change in character, as each of the Avatars would aim to restore Balance to the world and it was their purpose. I can understand the haters of Korra too because most of the haters have 1 quality trait in common, which is the lack of interest for certain female traits. Examples would be like women can be Assertive which is kool, but when it comes to certain circumstances like women's interest & situations that involve female talk it's quite annoying for the male haters because both men & women have something in common which is "you can't be too desperate or too cheery, you must be aloof." Male masses have a mentality to ruin confidence for people and is also common in females, but when it comes to female personas, Men tend to get very "insulting" about it because they just don't want to know such topics about female achievements because it has been like that for awhile, it's like it lowers testosterone flow for some weird reason. Empowerment as a trait on a female also insults men's lack of necessity, some men are needed, and guys might find it too emotional. I find Korra an interesting character. Personally because she can be the Next Avatar who has potential to surpass the glory of Aang, as well of the past female glories of Kyoshi, and Yangchen which are the female Avatars before her. Korra lacks some Avatar Roku traits, she is an extremely prodigy developed Avatar, she just lacks the calm collected discipline, patience, and peace that Roku presented. Korra is as assertive as Aang. Korra is a powerful bender indeed, but can she be as Powerful as Kyoshi? Kyoshi is known to be the represantation of a Pioneer who developed an isolated Utopia, Kyoshi defeated Chin the conqueror (keep in mind Chin was corrupted anyway), and created Kyoshi Island. Can Korra be as Merciless as Yangchen the Air Nomdic Female Avatar? Yangchen was a Powerful bender as well but she kept Balance over the World in an accurate manner, and she even involved her self-sacrifice of her spiritual needs in order to kept balance to the world. Let's just hope Korra does not become like the Water tribe Avatar Kuruk, who in his time was prosperous, but sadly lost his focus for keeping dedication onto his relationship instead of his Avatar duty. Let us also hope that Korra can become as kool as The Lavabending Avatar before Yangchen, who this fire nation avatar with his individuality created Lavabending. Korra should create something like Stormbending involving both Waterbending, Airbending, Firebending and Lightningbending united and coherent. THAT WOULD BE SO AWE-INSPIRING AMONG THE AVATARS!!!!!!!.......

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff