Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen
Sad Dust Glories
Azula the Phoenix Queen
Meelo's eyebrows are actually typical of what the Heian/ancient Chinese aristocracy considered beautiful.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This was the height of fashion - aristocracy often plucked their eyebrows entirely and painted in shapes like that - you can kind of tell from the Yoshitoshi print. Eyebrows were often painted much higher than where they originally grew it - I suppose it made the eyes look smaller, which was also a favored trait. Women were also expected to black out their teeth. I have no idea why any of this was considered attractive, but there you have it.

As for the others, their relatively thicker eyebrows might be a subtle nod to their lower standing in society, or the character designers may have just thought 'Man, a short barrel chested guy like Bolin would look SILLY with thin eyebrows, lets thicken them up' and similarly for Mako. It might also be a masculinity thing - The general consensus seems to be that Bolin is manlier than Mako [teehee], so his eyebrows are thicker.
There may ALSO be an aspect of what's considered attractive NOW. In today's society, the thinner, more shapely eyebrows are considered attractive, (hence nearly every person on 'Jersey Shore' waxing their eyebrows into oblivion.... not that they're attractive...) thus the main character's love interest has better shaped eyebrows than his brother, whom she never really saw as a potential mate. If you're referring to that odd little curve they do at the arch, that's just a typical exaggeration you see in animation, like gigantic eyes.
There's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to mako+bolin.

Tenzin's are just bushy.

Interesting, i did not know that. Interestingly enough, it seems that in the orginal series everyones eyebrows were pretty simple. I guess i dont mind, you know it adds more character 3nodding

I think they had a little more freedom in Korra - Avatar wasn't a guaranteed success.

More accurately, Azula probably would have looked like this.
User Image

Not exactly a popular look.

Damn. Azula is rocking those eyebrows!

Not going to lie - I'm pretty proud of myself with that editing. I'm sure it's no big deal - and I just did it in MS paint, but I am satisfied with the turn out.

Mega Fatcat

Azula the Phoenix Queen
CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen
Sad Dust Glories
Azula the Phoenix Queen
Meelo's eyebrows are actually typical of what the Heian/ancient Chinese aristocracy considered beautiful.

This was the height of fashion - aristocracy often plucked their eyebrows entirely and painted in shapes like that - you can kind of tell from the Yoshitoshi print. Eyebrows were often painted much higher than where they originally grew it - I suppose it made the eyes look smaller, which was also a favored trait. Women were also expected to black out their teeth. I have no idea why any of this was considered attractive, but there you have it.

As for the others, their relatively thicker eyebrows might be a subtle nod to their lower standing in society, or the character designers may have just thought 'Man, a short barrel chested guy like Bolin would look SILLY with thin eyebrows, lets thicken them up' and similarly for Mako. It might also be a masculinity thing - The general consensus seems to be that Bolin is manlier than Mako [teehee], so his eyebrows are thicker.
There may ALSO be an aspect of what's considered attractive NOW. In today's society, the thinner, more shapely eyebrows are considered attractive, (hence nearly every person on 'Jersey Shore' waxing their eyebrows into oblivion.... not that they're attractive...) thus the main character's love interest has better shaped eyebrows than his brother, whom she never really saw as a potential mate. If you're referring to that odd little curve they do at the arch, that's just a typical exaggeration you see in animation, like gigantic eyes.

Tenzin's are just bushy.

Interesting, i did not know that. Interestingly enough, it seems that in the orginal series everyones eyebrows were pretty simple. I guess i dont mind, you know it adds more character 3nodding

I think they had a little more freedom in Korra - Avatar wasn't a guaranteed success.

User Image

Not going to lie - I'm pretty proud of myself with that editing. I'm sure it's no big deal - and I just did it in MS paint, but I am satisfied with the turn out.

Oooh! You used paint? Clap clap clap clap!

Dangerous Lunatic

CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen
CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen
Sad Dust Glories
Azula the Phoenix Queen

Tenzin's are just bushy.

User Image

It was confusing. x_x I haven't used it since windows xp. Now there's all these new brushes and effects.

Mega Fatcat

Azula the Phoenix Queen
CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen
CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen

User Image

It was confusing. x_x I haven't used it since windows xp. Now there's all these new brushes and effects.

IK? when i got a new computer i had to use pain and i was like "WHAAAT IS THIIIS???!?!"

Dangerous Lunatic

CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen
CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen
CHiKiDORii
Azula the Phoenix Queen

User Image

IK? when i got a new computer i had to use pain and i was like "WHAAAT IS THIIIS???!?!"

The oil brush ended up being perfect for the eyebrows, and the soft pencil was great for blanking out her real eyebrows.

High-functioning Gekko

12,390 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
I believe Azula rocked just about... everything. Including the eyebrows.

Shirtless Fatcat

I like Bolin's eyebrows.

Dangerous Lunatic

Anjaani
I believe Azula rocked just about... everything. Including the eyebrows.

4laugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces