Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adventuring Newb

18,225 Points
  • 20000 High Score 500
  • Team Josie 25
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I agree,I too think Korra can be a big self centerd brat some times,but she is learning and develops in the group with the other's along the way smile And how 'bout that Bolin,isn't he just the cutest little silly willy? ;p

Heart Hunter

9,650 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Full closet 200
Alybby87
Faol_Cailin
I didn't like her at all at first, either, but it gets better. She does some growing up, and I think we'll see a much more promising Korra this season. Mako is a still a douche bag, though, don't expect that to change. Honestly, I wish they had just left his butt in Republic City, but whatever. stare

On the up side, Bolin is back to being as adorable as ever. 3nodding Not enough that I'm fangirl-ing him or anything. No, I still save my fangirl-ing for Zuko. I don't care if he's a hundred, okay?! Don't judge me!

Bolin is adorable!!!

I really don't like Mako, I don't know why the rest of the fandom does really, he's kind of a jerk. emotion_donotwant
Yes he is. I'm so glad he's back to his old self, he was getting a little annoying by the end of last season. Even so, he's always been one of the high points of the show.

He's not "kind of a jerk", he IS a jerk. I've never liked him. He was tolerable at first, if not more than a little cliché, but he's only gotten worse since then. I simply don't like him at all. I sincerely hope neither Korra nor Asami take him back; they're better than that.

Devoted Wench

9,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
She's rather up and down. Korra is supposed to be more flawed than other characters in the sense that she has very little world experience and is used to getting things her way. She grew up isolated in a compound in the South Pole surrounded mainly by elderly people where she was given everything she ever needed without working for it because she's the Avatar. Her sexism can also be blamed on her up bringing since she was born in a Water Tribe which is notorious for looking down on women. Even though she's female, being the avatar means she had privileges others didn't, though it seems the good old Water Tribe mentality rubbed a bit off on her regardless. She gets over her "feminine things are inferior" shtick pretty fast though.

The issue though is more the writing. I get where the writer are coming from, they want Korra to be flawed in a specific way because they want her to be a person who goes though a lot of growth, but they do have trouble balancing it out sometimes. Korra in Book 1 is tolerable, but in Book 2, ugh...The side characters and B-Plots where likable and interesting. Though to be fair, the crew working on Korra were taken by surprise for a second season since only one was planned. Book 3 seems to be off to a good start though, story and character wise. She's still a hot had and rash, but at the right times and for the right reasons and can be rational and have conversations like an adult. She finally becomes a lot more balanced in Book 3.

Feral Regular

11,250 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
I quite like Korra's character design, and there are times that she shows some promising glimmers of personality. However, she's wasted on the poor plot and heavy-handed storytelling of TLOK.
i hate korra but i hate asami more

mandawhorian's Husbando

Tipsy Conversationalist

8,975 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Majestic Forehead

Hmm, why is that?
TheStitchedHeart
Majestic Forehead

Hmm, why is that?

i mean to me tbh shes a mrs steal yo man
not to mention her backstory and herself to me is purrrty pathetic

Ruthless Bunny

well I didn't like her at all but thankfully there were more seasons added to actually develop these characters. Especially when the series is so rich in depth and background already! I think they kinda botched their series with the idea to only make the one and only season then, with only 12 episodes to boot! and additional 3-5 would have been way more appropriate, and then the season finally wouldn't have had to been so rushed, and the characters could have been better developed.

mandawhorian's Husbando

Tipsy Conversationalist

8,975 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Majestic Forehead
TheStitchedHeart
Majestic Forehead

Hmm, why is that?

i mean to me tbh shes a mrs steal yo man
not to mention her backstory and herself to me is purrrty pathetic

How so? She had Mako before Korra did.

I don't find her pathetic at all she never seems to make excuses and when her whole life goes to s**t she still stands up - especially when no one ia comforting her - she has no parents left, her father absolutely betrayed her and she had to aid in throwing him in jail. After that she was a teenage girl attempting to run a whole company after her father began to run it into the ground - she made business plans and barely anyone helped her during this other than Bolin for a split second, and Mako after he had broken up with Korra. And if your referring to the kiss she gave him - it was sort of a natural response, though I think shes way too good for mako

Not to mention mako is not good at breaking up with anyone. He says vague sentences, how about actually saying "listen this isn't working out" instead of "I care about you" and "If our jobs come first how can our relationship", it's like as soon as he hit a rough patch with korra (the girl he cheated on asami with) he bailed.
I LOVE everything that is hateable about her! She's one of the most complex main characters in this whole show... and in most of tv series. It also makes her completely different from Aang, yes, he also had his faults... he was very childish and sometimes narrow-minded, but most of the time he was the paragon of goodness.
But Korra is different, she is a modern child, a teenage girl who people of our age can relate more too. She has a log path to grow up, a lot to learn and to deal with, and book after book she is slowly learning how to find her way... something that with Aang we didn't see that much, 'cause he didn't have to go through the same maturity growth Korra needed.

I think both series present us different struggles.
Korra could do most of the elements since the day she was born, but didn't have the spirituallity to understand her role in the world. Aang always had the second thing, but couldn't control other elements apart from air.
Faol_Cailin
Alybby87
Faol_Cailin
I didn't like her at all at first, either, but it gets better. She does some growing up, and I think we'll see a much more promising Korra this season. Mako is a still a douche bag, though, don't expect that to change. Honestly, I wish they had just left his butt in Republic City, but whatever. stare

On the up side, Bolin is back to being as adorable as ever. 3nodding Not enough that I'm fangirl-ing him or anything. No, I still save my fangirl-ing for Zuko. I don't care if he's a hundred, okay?! Don't judge me!

Bolin is adorable!!!

I really don't like Mako, I don't know why the rest of the fandom does really, he's kind of a jerk. emotion_donotwant
Yes he is. I'm so glad he's back to his old self, he was getting a little annoying by the end of last season. Even so, he's always been one of the high points of the show.

He's not "kind of a jerk", he IS a jerk. I've never liked him. He was tolerable at first, if not more than a little cliché, but he's only gotten worse since then. I simply don't like him at all. I sincerely hope neither Korra nor Asami take him back; they're better than that.
unfortunately I already see him and korra getting back together.
I really wish she would see Bolin as a love interest to be honest...they would make such a cute couple. Mako can just focus on his promotions and be forever alone.
mad

IRL Conventioneer

No point in having them back together. It was useless shipping in he first place. As Bolin says, Mako is the "brooding teenager." Other than that I agree that Korra has been SLIGHTLY improving but only slightly...still don't like her and Asami. Bolin and Bei Fong best characters heart
So far in season 3 and I still dislike her greatly. So you are not alone on that one.
Legend of Korra for me is a mixed blessing. While it introduced an interesting concept, modern/old world mix and how the old ways clash with new and vice versa.

I feel as though Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko don't really care about their creation anymore, if you've read the comics they've put out that are suppose to answer questions from ATLA it's clear they suffered some type of emotional abandonment and neglect from their mothers and the plot no longer matters. Not to mention the writing of the relationships in LoK, instead of writing out a plot and letting the characters flow and grow in a natural way (let's say Katara and Aang for example) you name the love interest after the voice actor of Iroh (Mako Iwamatsu) in what I can only call a mockery of respect. So when make a character for the specific purpose of being a love interest, you've already limited that characters growth and thus have to work backwards at giving the character depth. I think that's why people liked Bolin and Korra getting together was because of the time they had spent together seemed to just flow and they were comfortable together.

With the other books the growth for Korra is there, it's a natural growth and the relationship between Asami and Korra, as well as others, gets betters and more believable. Yes, Korra is flawed and acts like a princess (I'm the Avatar, I get what I want) but if you finish Season 1 and 2, and start watching 3 I don't think, at least I hope, you'll be disappointed but hey I can't say for certain.

Cranberry

Yeah, I agree with you disliking Korra for season 1 and 2 but that was mostly because of the whole love triangle drama. If if there is any character I can say I dislike out right is Mako. Season three Korra is minus romance plot device so far so I am pleased.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff