Welcome to Gaia! ::

Trash Gaian

Beautiful View
Wind-Up Puppet
Beautiful View
totally sucks to be the first and never amounting to where the younger ones have. the lack of praise must've been intense. But I was shocked Aang would be so neglectful. I guess he'snot perfect and he had a lot on his plate but Bumi's kids could've been benders. Any idea why he wore Earth bender clothes?
Bumi doesn't have kids.
aang didn't know that when he was a child being neglected
What? Honey, you're being confusing.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

9,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
Wind-Up Puppet
Beautiful View
Wind-Up Puppet
Beautiful View
totally sucks to be the first and never amounting to where the younger ones have. the lack of praise must've been intense. But I was shocked Aang would be so neglectful. I guess he'snot perfect and he had a lot on his plate but Bumi's kids could've been benders. Any idea why he wore Earth bender clothes?
Bumi doesn't have kids.
When Bumi was, say, 10 and being neglected, Aang didn't know what kind of future his son Bumi could have, if the air bending would skip him.
Beautiful View
Wind-Up Puppet
Beautiful View
Wind-Up Puppet
Beautiful View
Bumi doesn't have kids.
When Bumi was, say, 10 and being neglected, Aang didn't know what kind of future his son Bumi could have, if the air bending would skip him.

I see your point but it's like this.

Okay, Aang is literally the ONE person in the world who can teach Tenzin to master airbending. So naturally he's going to HAVE to spend more time with his son to teach him. And between being the Avatar and teaching Tenzin, he had his plate full. Of course he spent time with his children, all of them. Maybe not as much as he should have, but that's what it is.

Plus, I'm sure Aang DID take vacations with Kya and Bumi as well, but people have a tendency to focus on the negatives and block out the positives. Especially when they're angry, bitter, etc. and furthermore, most of the vacations were probably training exercises for Tenzin and they just assumed they were vacations.

And besides, Bumi's children or lack of children is his own choice as far as Aang was concerned, same with Kya. Only one who HAD to have kids was Tenzin. So in a way they have that over him.

In closing, or TL;DR, Aang may have been slightly neglectful, but that's because he literally had the balance of the world and the restoring of a culture on his shoulders. That kind of stress could go to anybody's head. Hell, less stress than that has provoked Korra to be a b***h.
jamilee-nicole
I think it's more Aang had to focus a lot more attention on Tenzin, because Aang was literally the only person alive who could teach him properly.

Unfortunately, this resulted in the feeling neglect in the other two. I don't doubt in the slightest that Aang loved all three of his children equally. It's just he sadly did not have enough time to spread his attention equally between the three, as he had enormous duties to the world as the Avatar in a post world war, so therefor he gave all three of them the love and attention he could, but gave Tenzin extra attention as his teacher.

Of course, Aang himself could make an appearance to set things straight. Katara could do it for him, but it'd probably have more impact coming from the man himself.

To save myself the trouble of constantly repeating this. I'll quote this guy.
Hopefully people read it and understand before we reach a horrid level of stupid in this forum

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Beautiful View

Earthbender clothes, or just Earth Kingdom clothes? It might just be where he lives.

Wind-Up Puppet
Bumi doesn't have kids.

I don't think Kya does either... damn shame...

Invisible Humorist

xAliceJae
jamilee-nicole
I think it's more Aang had to focus a lot more attention on Tenzin, because Aang was literally the only person alive who could teach him properly.

Unfortunately, this resulted in the feeling neglect in the other two. I don't doubt in the slightest that Aang loved all three of his children equally. It's just he sadly did not have enough time to spread his attention equally between the three, as he had enormous duties to the world as the Avatar in a post world war, so therefor he gave all three of them the love and attention he could, but gave Tenzin extra attention as his teacher.

Of course, Aang himself could make an appearance to set things straight. Katara could do it for him, but it'd probably have more impact coming from the man himself.

this this this this this this

I can't stand that people keep making Aang seem so horrible as a father. We're talking about a show that has children being banished, turning into psychotic 14 year olds, and one father who tried to kill his daughter for not aligning with him!

Tenzin got "special treatment" but after being alone for so long, Aang finally had someone to share airbending with. He was also the only teacher Tenzin could ever have. The Air Acolytes (is that what I call them?) would only ever be able to maybe teach him meditation.

Aang may not have even ignored the other 2 as much as they claim he did. People tend to focus on the more negative parts of things imo.

Thank you
TheDrunkenApothecary II
jamilee-nicole

To save myself the trouble of constantly repeating this. I'll quote this guy.
Hopefully people read it and understand before we reach a horrid level of stupid in this forum

Angelic Blob

rolleyes
People are making it out to be that he completely disregarded his first two children's existence. The situation is similar to life, you make time for each child and cater to their needs, that is what Aang did with Tenzin and for good reasons, he was the last Air bender. And even after death Tenzin and his family 'HAD TO' live away from the city to keep themselves safe, it's not an easy going life for Air benders at the moment.

You have Aang naming his first born after his best friend, that's freakin' love people! stressed

The two siblings taking their frustration out on Tenzin was, to me, uncalled for. It is understandable but they need to get over that hump.
Xiam
Tsundere Puppet
I feel sorry for Bumi too...Aang seems like an a**...

Hey now, we all know he wasn't.

But I mean, he had a kid who's an Airbender... before then, he was the last one... it's only natural that he'd want to train and spend time with him. Especially considering how Aang never had much time with his own parents, due to being raised by the monks. And then, even his father figure died... so yeah, I can see his motivation for wanting to spend time with the only other Airbender in existence.

Still, it does have to suck for Bumi. Plus, Kya most certainly got Waterbending training from her mother, and Bumi... well, I'm sure Katara spent time with him, but he never got quite the attention that his siblings got. It must have sucked to be the only non-bender in the family.

I have to agree with this. It wasn't like he hated his other two children, but being one of the last airbenders and finding out one of your sons is one, Aang probably saw it as his duty to make sure Tenzin learns airbending. Also, probably was easier to bond with Tenzin because both were airbenders and this was his only chance spending time with another bender like him.

While Bumi might have felt left out for being a non-bender, he more than made up for it with his courage and if Aang saw him now, I am sure he would of been really proud.

Greedy Capitalist

He's the Avatar - he's got to protect the world and preserve balance. Just because Ozai was defeated, doesn't mean evil-doers don't still exist in the world.

He's the Last Airbender - he's got to make sure that his culture and way of life is passed onto his children before he dies. Plus, I think having two non-Airbender children might've freaked him out a bit.

He's building up Republic City - Rome wasn't built in a day.

He's got no family/home - when he sees Tenzin, he doesn't just see his son; he sees hope. Hope for the rebirth of the Air Nomads that were stolen from him when he was just a kid. Aang only had the guidance of Monk Gyatso for a short while, and it tore him apart to find his corpse 100 years later, and I'm sure he did everything he could to make sure Tenzin wouldn't experience anything remotely close to that. On top of EVERYTHING ELSE, Aang needed to make sure that after his death, Tenzin would be a proper Air Nomad representative on the council for Republic City. That includes living the style of an Air Nomad, and as we've seen with Aang, that means traveling the world.

Kya and Bumi..well..I'm sure he loves them...but they're just another non-bender and a Waterbender. Tenzin is literally one of a kind, and I can see, sadly, why Aang would favor him.

5200mike's Wife

6,050 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
That was terrible ! crying neutral

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers