Welcome to Gaia! ::

Trash Gaian

Ignoring Kya and Bumi because they are not Airbenders.....and Bumi feeling useless.
I would think that Aang wouldn't completely ignore the other two. I gotta admit, I got a bit teary-eyed when he was in front of that statue.

Trash Gaian

Ink Atrament
I would think that Aang wouldn't completely ignore the other two. I gotta admit, I got a bit teary-eyed when he was in front of that statue.
Well, now we know Aang isn't a saint. I had some feels for Bumi...I would be hurt if I was a non-bender in a bending world.
Tsundere Puppet
Ink Atrament
Well, now we know Aang isn't a saint. I had some feels for Bumi...I would be hurt if I was a non-bender in a bending world.
That's true. It's gotta be a total bummer having two younger siblings who can create tornados and ice spikes. But he still made an important name for himself, which is admirable. I like Bumi!

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Tsundere Puppet
I feel sorry for Bumi too...Aang seems like an a**...

Hey now, we all know he wasn't.

But I mean, he had a kid who's an Airbender... before then, he was the last one... it's only natural that he'd want to train and spend time with him. Especially considering how Aang never had much time with his own parents, due to being raised by the monks. And then, even his father figure died... so yeah, I can see his motivation for wanting to spend time with the only other Airbender in existence.

Still, it does have to suck for Bumi. Plus, Kya most certainly got Waterbending training from her mother, and Bumi... well, I'm sure Katara spent time with him, but he never got quite the attention that his siblings got. It must have sucked to be the only non-bender in the family.

Amateur Detective

35,390 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
I think it's more Aang had to focus a lot more attention on Tenzin, because Aang was literally the only person alive who could teach him properly.

Unfortunately, this resulted in the feeling neglect in the other two. I don't doubt in the slightest that Aang loved all three of his children equally. It's just he sadly did not have enough time to spread his attention equally between the three, as he had enormous duties to the world as the Avatar in a post world war, so therefor he gave all three of them the love and attention he could, but gave Tenzin extra attention as his teacher.

Of course, Aang himself could make an appearance to set things straight. Katara could do it for him, but it'd probably have more impact coming from the man himself.
jamilee-nicole
I think it's more Aang had to focus a lot more attention on Tenzin, because Aang was literally the only person alive who could teach him properly.

Unfortunately, this resulted in the feeling neglect in the other two. I don't doubt in the slightest that Aang loved all three of his children equally. It's just he sadly did not have enough time to spread his attention equally between the three, as he had enormous duties to the world as the Avatar in a post world war, so therefor he gave all three of them the love and attention he could, but gave Tenzin extra attention as his teacher.

Of course, Aang himself could make an appearance to set things straight. Katara could do it for him, but it'd probably have more impact coming from the man himself.

this this this this this this

I can't stand that people keep making Aang seem so horrible as a father. We're talking about a show that has children being banished, turning into psychotic 14 year olds, and one father who tried to kill his daughter for not aligning with him!

Tenzin got "special treatment" but after being alone for so long, Aang finally had someone to share airbending with. He was also the only teacher Tenzin could ever have. The Air Acolytes (is that what I call them?) would only ever be able to maybe teach him meditation.

Aang may not have even ignored the other 2 as much as they claim he did. People tend to focus on the more negative parts of things imo.
It is not intentional. As the Avatar the balance of the world is a priority to Aang, and Republic City is his baby a symbol of peace and balance that Aang created. While it sucks that he focused more attention on Republic City then his family it was to maintain the balance of the world. It sucks that his family seems less important then his duty but hard choices seem to be an Avatar thing. I don't think it really was though. Aang always seemed to be able to balance being the Avatar and still having fun and I doubt that changed as he matured.

Now with Tenzin well he has to give Tenzin special attention, tenzin is the future of the Airbenders. That does not mean Aang loves his other children less, it's just he needs to train Tenzin to be the best Airbender he could be.

Between Republic city, training Tenzin and any other Avatar duty that came up Aang had his hands full. Besides while Tenzin remembers those things as vacations I'm sure they were training exercises designed to be fun. Stuff that only an airbender could fully enjoy. I doubt Bumi and Kya would have had that much fun watching their father train their little brother. If anything that would have made them feel more left out.
xAliceJae
jamilee-nicole

this this this this this this

I can't stand that people keep making Aang seem so horrible as a father. We're talking about a show that has children being banished, turning into psychotic 14 year olds, and one who tried to kill his daughter for not aligning with him!

Tenzin got "special treatment" but after being alone for so long, Aang finally had someone to share airbending with. He was also the only teacher Tenzin could ever have. The Air Acolytes (is that what I call them?) would only ever be able to maybe teach him meditation.

Aang may not have even ignored the other 2 as much as they claim he did. People tend to focus on the more negative parts of things imo.

Weellll, he wasn't a saint and he was only human. People easily jump to conclusions and make him seem horrible, just because their thoughts of Aang being the perfect father was false. Episode 4 kinda showed that the family still loved each other. They were more frustrated than anything.

Devoted Sage

I have to agree with what most people have been saying so far. It's awesome to know that Aang wasn't the perfect father. To me, that's a more realistic scenario than thinking of him as a perfect being. He went through a lot at a very young age, and suddenly he was no longer the last one of his kind. He had a son that was an airbender, a child that could slowly rebuild his people. I'm sure Tenzin experienced a lot of pressure with that burden, too.

I don't think that Aang loved his other children any less. He simply devoted most of his energy to ensuring the revival of his culture through Tenzin. It most likely took a toll on them both. Kya seemed the most honest in saying that her childhood wasn't perfect, but that she didn't love her family less because of it. She and Bumi might be a touch resentful, but they understood why, even if Tenzin couldn't.

Hilarious Genius

14,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Timid 100
i don't think he really ignored them. i think he was so excited to finally have someone to share his airbending culture with, and went too overboard.

Tricky Genius

8,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
I agree that as the Avatar, Aang had a LOT of responsibilities, but seriously, Bumi had it rough, being the only non-bender. I mean, look how Sokka felt when he was literally surrounded by benders. Bumi had it even worse, I bet, because his father was the avatar. Sokka was only friends with him. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that everyone Bumi met was disappointed when they found out he didn't bend.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

9,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
totally sucks to be the first and never amounting to where the younger ones have. the lack of praise must've been intense. But I was shocked Aang would be so neglectful. I guess he'snot perfect and he had a lot on his plate but Bumi's kids could've been benders. Any idea why he wore Earth bender clothes?

Trash Gaian

Beautiful View
totally sucks to be the first and never amounting to where the younger ones have. the lack of praise must've been intense. But I was shocked Aang would be so neglectful. I guess he'snot perfect and he had a lot on his plate but Bumi's kids could've been benders. Any idea why he wore Earth bender clothes?
Bumi doesn't have kids.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

9,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
Wind-Up Puppet
Beautiful View
Bumi doesn't have kids.
aang didn't know that when he was a child being neglected

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas