Welcome to Gaia! ::

Impaler Prince

Milky Imperius
Ah, this again, rolleyes

What bugs me is that all of you are trying to tone it down because it's two women. "Oh, it would have been better if they stayed ambiguous or just focused on their bond rather than the romantic side of it, me and my friends act like this all the time." Nobody reacts like this when it's a guy and a girl, and if you read Makorra's final scene as romantic but not Korrasami's... yeah, I think you really need to think about that "hetero lens" Bryke mentioned.

Friends, I am a queer lady. I have had romantic feelings for girls as well as close friendships with girls. Trust me when I say that the way they act is far closer to the former. Sure, I hug, hold hands with, go on vacations with, etc. my close platonic friends, but I'm not amorous with them in the same way I am with girls I want to kiss. Korra and Asami are very, very amorous with each other. Seriously, rewatch S4E7 after taking a crash course in body language and knowing they're going to end up together--it's really telling. Instead of comparing it with your close lady friends, mentally swap either of their genders and if you're reading it any differently now, there's a problem.

"But they should have been more clear/It wasn't well paced/whatever!" Of course they couldn't have been more clear. It's a kid's show. There are limits to what they can do, but people were seeing this s**t as early as the season 3 finale and what do you know, they were right. And as for pacing... dude, nothing in this series is well-paced. Kataang wasn't well-paced for the latter half of season 3. Makorra was so badly paced it practically ruined season 1. This isn't a new problem. Why does it only invalidate Korrasami?

And tbh I don't actually ship Korrasami, just because I have very specific tastes when it comes to shipping. I think it's great that it's canon and I saw it coming a mile away, but it just doesn't do it for me personally. I do, however, ship the hell out of Varrick and Zhu Li and had lots of feelings when he proposed. The finale did make me ship Korra/Kuvira though oops

tl;dr stop trying to invalidate their canonically romantic relationship just because it offends your hetero sensibilities and actually read what Bryke are saying

http://kotaku.com/legend-of-korra-creators-ending-was-what-you-thought-1674345784?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Greedy Capitalist

Transylveining
iKarnezar
Depending on your perspective, anything that would signify a relationship (short of labeling one another "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" wink could also signify a simple friendship, including sex.

LoK would have to be a romance show for there to be enough evidence to support Korra and Asami for everybody to accept it.

"Ohh, they went to the carnival together, well friends do that all the time!"
"Ohh, they fought side by side and hugged one another when they thought they were going to die, well friends do that all the time!"
"Ohh, they stared into each other's eyes when one of them was asked if they had a boyfriend, well friends do that all the time!"

Above are just examples, but you get the point...
http://kotaku.com/legend-of-korra-creators-ending-was-what-you-thought-1674345784?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

The point of my post was to get across that there will always be people who still think Korra and Asami are still just friends, because all of the evidence could also point to a regular friendship. But, like I said, anything that could prove to be evidence of a romantic relationship can also be proven to be evidence for a regular friendship.

In short, fans who don't support it will never be dissuaded.

Hilarious Citizen

10,390 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
The reactions of people are so hilarious. Ohmygod.

Regardless of anyone's feelings over Korrasami, you cannot convince a single cell in my body that Makorra is an ideal relationship.
I don't know man, I think it's pretty great tbh.

Benevolent Spirit

20,875 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Milky Imperius

I like this post very much.

I agree. I feel like people would not have been upset had it been any other pairing -- even a pairing with two of the guys. This is a reaction huge parts of fanbases have to girls being in a relationship together. Any way they can try to use the arguments that 'girls are just cuddlier with each other!' and 'they're just really good friends' they will. Honestly, if they showed Korra and Asami kissing people would probably still argue that it was wholly platonic.

And you're right. Makorra happened in season 1... one season. Heck, we even had Bolin's crush on Korra and their date together. And then Mako and Asami getting together after one run-in on the street. Literally one meeting later and they're dating. And yet Korra and Asami go from tension to friendship to romance over three seasons, and everyone's crying that it was rushed.

This show wasn't primarily about romance, either. They were right to tone down romance overall for the last two seasons because the show should not have just been about 'and who will get together' in the end. It was primarily about Korra's journey as the Avatar. All romance should be subplots at that point in my opinion, and that's how the romance was largely handled in the second half of the show. When it was front and center, the show seemed hugely clunky, and it even lead to some really odd plot holes and things that countered parts of the established Avatar canon. Also keep in mind that the show isn't even that long... Things will have to be sped up because the primary focus is on the actual conflict in the story and less on the romantic subplots, and given that the show itself was pretty short in comparison to film series or other television shows, the romance will probably be clunky no matter what -- heterosexual pairing or otherwise.

And to other people saying it should have been more in our faces, it literally couldn't be. I don't know where all of you live, but lots of countries are not so keen on seeing any relationship that is not a boy and a girl in the very traditional sense. Shows can be pulled off the air for even implying anything but heterosexuality in some countries, let alone being as blatant with it. These things have to be subtle in order to get through censors GLOBALLY, not just in the United States. You can have full-blown heterosexual romance pretty much everywhere. It's not the same for a non-heterosexual relationship.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
When you really look at it they never even gave I dunno adult hits to show they liked each other without little kids picking it up. I mean come on even in. Sponge Bib they have adult dirty jokes in it . I do find that the ending was cheap that they just wanted to get over done with. The way I see it is if you can't show publicly they are gay then don't do it . Or just put hints in that kids won't get.

Aged Rabbit

11,250 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
BATCATGIRL
When you really look at it they never even gave I dunno adult hits to show they liked each other without little kids picking it up. I mean come on even in. Sponge Bib they have adult dirty jokes in it . I do find that the ending was cheap that they just wanted to get over done with. The way I see it is if you can't show publicly they are gay then don't do it . Or just put hints in that kids won't get.
I'm pretty sure the difference with Sponge Bob (I know he's in foreign markets, not sure if He's been outlawed in China or Russia, yet) is that the gay jokes... are jokes. When Spongebob acts romantically towards another man, it's seen as part of it's theatre of the absurd, rather than "SUBVERSIVE GAY PROPAGANDA"

I saw the hints. When Korra was talking to Asami and she gave her those eyes in Season 4 I was like "I know they're just really good friends, now, but someone could mistake this as romance"

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Transylveining

I'm a bit confused, are you linking me this because you wanted to strengthen my point or did you think I was saying it wasn't canon? neutral

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Mako: the gay bender.

I am all up for bisexual Avatar and Asami, but I do find it funny that the only person that these two girls had in common was that they dated the same guy. What a weird way to close the triangle XD

Aged Rabbit

11,250 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
Mitsuki Horenake
Mako: the gay bender.

I am all up for bisexual Avatar and Asami, but I do find it funny that the only person that these two girls had in common was that they dated the same guy. What a weird way to close the triangle XD

It also leaves Mako open for Wuko
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Impaler Prince

Milky Imperius
Transylveining

I'm a bit confused, are you linking me this because you wanted to strengthen my point or did you think I was saying it wasn't canon? neutral
I didn't know if you had seen the article yet, so I was giving the link so you had more to back up your post.
I don't hate on gays nor do i support them, they'll suffer enough if there's an afterlife.

I do hate the fact that one of my favorite shows of all time ended in the fashion that it did, there was NO reason to do that. They should've ended it with a Tenzin speech. I'm surprised Naruto Shippuden didn't end with a gay love scene between Sasuke and Naruto.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

YouAreReadingThisRightNow
I don't hate on gays nor do i support them, they'll suffer enough if there's an afterlife.

I do hate the fact that one of my favorite shows of all time ended in the fashion that it did, there was NO reason to do that. They should've ended it with a Tenzin speech. I'm surprised Naruto Shippuden didn't end with a gay love scene between Sasuke and Naruto.

Not sure if trolling or just a thinly-veiled bigot.
Milky Imperius

you mad bro? yeah..you mad.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Milky Imperius

you mad bro? yeah..you mad.
Nah, I've been on the internet too long to get legit mad anymore. Troll harder 3/10

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff