Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Mystic

Blue Day Book
False Dichotomy
Blue Day Book
I've wondered this ever since the awful Avatar: The Last Airbender movie came out. In the movie, the firebenders had to have a source of fire around them (burning candle, lamp, etc.) in order to bend, just like water, earth, and air benders can only bend when their element is around them in some fashion.

But why is fire bending in Avatar: Legend of Korra and in the original cartoon series different? Fire just comes out of people's hands and feet. They don't need to have a source of fire around them in order to bend it. But with water bending, water has to be around them in order to bend, and with earth, earth has to be within access for them to bend.

Why is fire different?
Because the fire is internal? It comes from breath, and focus, sometimes emotional rage, but other times simply ambition, or even control.

Air bending also seems to be ever-present. You can literally exhale, and it's enough to air bend with. Water bending seems to be capable with any water-based solution, blood included. Earth bending is the only one that's massively based on surroundings, and Toph found a roundabout way of solving that problem.

Fire is breath, you need breath to do it, and you need a focus, an inner flame of some kind (metaphorically speaking)

But there is water in the blood, and in sweat, so that makes sense. But there is not fire in people's breath. People don't breathe out fire ordinarily. Air bending makes sense as well, because air is nearly everywhere, and people can generate their own air with which to bend by breathing. Fire is the only one that does not seem to make any sense.
Fire requires oxygen and start-up energy. In oxygen rich environments, it doesn't even require other fuels.

What is a firebender but an airbender with different limits?

Reiko Souma's Waifu

The sun is a giant flaming ball of fire... and the earth is made of molten magma with heat constantly rising. Heat=fire. Just like in the original Avatar The Last Airbender Katara learned to take the water of the air. The air is all around. Earth is impossible to avoid even metal is earth only water keeps you off the Earth and Toph can bend the Earth from under the water. The elements are everywhere really...
Blue Day Book
Girl With The Windex Eyes
firebenders get there firebending from the sun. That is why when the eclipse happened they couldn't bend anymore. In The Last Airbender they screwed it up.

That would make sense, except for the fact that I've seen plenty of firebenders bend fire indoors, cut off from the sun.

I just read this on the wiki page:

Firebenders use their internal body heat as a source of their bending. This facet of firebending is a sharp contrast to the other bending arts, which manipulate already present sources of their element, though firebenders can also control or enhance flames

So that could be another way they bend too, when indoors.

foolsDiamond's Bride

Shy Sex Symbol

14,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
The movie sucked.

Invisible Regular

Blue Day Book
Madame Royale
In the show, firebenders can use fire that's around them or make fire/lightning out appear themselves. katara learns later how to get water without a water source as well.

Katara never learned how to do that. She always had to have some source of water around her in order to bend. That's why she carried a satchel of water around her waist at all times, and when she was captured with Toph at one point, she had to run a lot in order to produce sweat, so that she could use that as a source of water. At no point could she conjure water out of her hands and feet without a source. Even in the desert, she had to use the one little stray cloud in the sky.

correct although later in the series with the woman that taught her how to bloodbend also told her that she can get water without needing her satchel. she's able to get water out of moisture in the air and stuff. 3nodding
False Dichotomy
Fire requires oxygen and start-up energy. In oxygen rich environments, it doesn't even require other fuels.

What is a firebender but an airbender with different limits?

That actually kinda makes sense to me. smile

So as long as there is oxygen in their surroundings, they can fire bend by providing a sort of spark, like someone would by rubbing two sticks together for a long time. Or something. Haha, it's very obvious that I'm not a survivalist. >.>
Blue Day Book
firebenders get there firebending from the sun. That is why when the eclipse happened they couldn't bend anymore. In The Last Airbender they screwed it up.

That would make sense, except for the fact that I've seen plenty of firebenders bend fire indoors, cut off from the sun.

I just read this on the wiki page:

Firebenders use their internal body heat as a source of their bending. This facet of firebending is a sharp contrast to the other bending arts, which manipulate already present sources of their element, though firebenders can also control or enhance flames

So that could be another way they bend too, when indoors.

That actually makes sense too! Of course people have body heat, so body heat should be able to be manipulated into flame.

Thanks! smile

High-functioning Demigod

9,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I was about to say something very similar to that.I believe the sun lends them the fire they need even though its billions of miles away. Also the heat from the environment, might be able to transform into fire like a transmuter of some sort. Or even the reforming of molecules. I'm just blowing out smoke now but I really believe that the sun plays a major part.
Madame Royale
Blue Day Book
Madame Royale
In the show, firebenders can use fire that's around them or make fire/lightning out appear themselves. katara learns later how to get water without a water source as well.

Katara never learned how to do that. She always had to have some source of water around her in order to bend. That's why she carried a satchel of water around her waist at all times, and when she was captured with Toph at one point, she had to run a lot in order to produce sweat, so that she could use that as a source of water. At no point could she conjure water out of her hands and feet without a source. Even in the desert, she had to use the one little stray cloud in the sky.

correct although later in the series with the woman that taught her how to bloodbend also told her that she can get water without needing her satchel. she's able to get water out of moisture in the air and stuff. 3nodding

Well, because there is moisture in the air, and in surrounding plants, and in human blood in the body. Water has never come from out of nowhere for waterbenders. Even when she learned how to get it out of the moisture in the air, that's still a water source.

Shameless Mystic

Blue Day Book
Madame Royale
Blue Day Book
Madame Royale

Well, because there is moisture in the air, and in surrounding plants, and in human blood in the body. Water has never come from out of nowhere for waterbenders. Even when she learned how to get it out of the moisture in the air, that's still a water source.
The trick for firebenders would be learning to use their OPPONENT's heat, draining them. Oddly enough, with such a source of power, I would imagine they're well within the power of causing deadly hypothermia.

Hardened Warrior

Here is a lot of info on Firebending if you want to read through some of it.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Firebending
False Dichotomy
The trick for firebenders would be learning to use their OPPONENT's heat, draining them. Oddly enough, with such a source of power, I would imagine they're well within the power of causing deadly hypothermia.

I wonder if we'll ever see that happen in Legend of Korra. Although, I can see a lot of ways the knowledge of that ability getting out could be very bad.

Distinct Raider

6,550 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Blue Day Book
RioIu
That's the original way. Firebending is similar to Airbending, whereas Waterbending is similar to Earthbending. The Last Airbender changed the Firebenders.

??

That really didn't address the question at all...

Even airbending uses the air around them. Shouldn't fire benders have to have a source of fire around them in order to bend it?
Oxygen molecules rapidly vibrate and creates the fire. Duh.

Original Humorist

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
The movie completely ruined everything about the series, don't believe anything you saw in the movie xD It was awful!!

Aged Regular

it also has a lot to do with how the original benders came into being.
the earth benders had the badger moles
the fire benders learned from dragons
the water benders had the spirits of the moon and sun.
im assuming the air benders had the air bison or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff