Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've wondered this ever since the awful Avatar: The Last Airbender movie came out. In the movie, the firebenders had to have a source of fire around them (burning candle, lamp, etc.) in order to bend, just like water, earth, and air benders can only bend when their element is around them in some fashion.

But why is fire bending in Avatar: Legend of Korra and in the original cartoon series different? Fire just comes out of people's hands and feet. They don't need to have a source of fire around them in order to bend it. But with water bending, water has to be around them in order to bend, and with earth, earth has to be within access for them to bend.

Why is fire different?

Distinct Raider

6,550 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
That's the original way. Firebending is similar to Airbending, whereas Waterbending is similar to Earthbending. The Last Airbender changed the Firebenders.
Blue Day Book
I've wondered this ever since the awful Avatar: The Last Airbender movie came out. In the movie, the firebenders had to have a source of fire around them (burning candle, lamp, etc.) in order to bend, just like water, earth, and air benders can only bend when their element is around them in some fashion.

But why is fire bending in Avatar: Legend of Korra and in the original cartoon series different? Fire just comes out of people's hands and feet. They don't need to have a source of fire around them in order to bend it. But with water bending, water has to be around them in order to bend, and with earth, earth has to be within access for them to bend.

Why is fire different?
It came out of their hands and feet in ATLA and TLOK. The movie just killed EVERYTHING.

Rainbow Shopper

6,350 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I would assume that firebenders need oxygen present in order to bend.
RioIu
That's the original way. Firebending is similar to Airbending, whereas Waterbending is similar to Earthbending. The Last Airbender changed the Firebenders.

??

That really didn't address the question at all...

Even airbending uses the air around them. Shouldn't fire benders have to have a source of fire around them in order to bend it?
iOfficialMako
Blue Day Book

Why is fire different?
It came out of their hands and feet in ATLA and TLOK. The movie just killed EVERYTHING.

Yes, the movie most certainly did. But it did bring the question to my mind, one that I really can't answer myself.

Shameless Mystic

Blue Day Book

Why is fire different?
Because the fire is internal? It comes from breath, and focus, sometimes emotional rage, but other times simply ambition, or even control.

Air bending also seems to be ever-present. You can literally exhale, and it's enough to air bend with. Water bending seems to be capable with any water-based solution, blood included. Earth bending is the only one that's massively based on surroundings, and Toph found a roundabout way of solving that problem.

Fire is breath, you need breath to do it, and you need a focus, an inner flame of some kind (metaphorically speaking)

Demonic Sex Symbol

12,125 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Survivor 150
I always thought it came out of their soul. like they had a fire in the soul the can bring it out and work with it....just my POV

Feisty Fatcat

13,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
i always assumed that it just came out of nowhere. like when iroh was teaching zuko how to direct lighting. he just pulled it out of nowhere. and aang made fire come out of nowhere when he was learning form the fugitive firebender in the...first book, i believe.
firebenders get there firebending from the sun. That is why when the eclipse happened they couldn't bend anymore. In The Last Airbender they screwed it up.
False Dichotomy
Blue Day Book

Why is fire different?
Because the fire is internal? It comes from breath, and focus, sometimes emotional rage, but other times simply ambition, or even control.

Air bending also seems to be ever-present. You can literally exhale, and it's enough to air bend with. Water bending seems to be capable with any water-based solution, blood included. Earth bending is the only one that's massively based on surroundings, and Toph found a roundabout way of solving that problem.

Fire is breath, you need breath to do it, and you need a focus, an inner flame of some kind (metaphorically speaking)

But there is water in the blood, and in sweat, so that makes sense. But there is not fire in people's breath. People don't breathe out fire ordinarily. Air bending makes sense as well, because air is nearly everywhere, and people can generate their own air with which to bend by breathing. Fire is the only one that does not seem to make any sense.

Invisible Regular

In the show, firebenders can use fire that's around them or make fire/lightning out appear themselves. katara learns later how to get water without a water source as well.
Girl With The Windex Eyes
firebenders get there firebending from the sun. That is why when the eclipse happened they couldn't bend anymore. In The Last Airbender they screwed it up.

That would make sense, except for the fact that I've seen plenty of firebenders bend fire indoors, cut off from the sun.
MikuHatsune0001
I always thought it came out of their soul. like they had a fire in the soul the can bring it out and work with it....just my POV

That theory makes the most sense so far, haha.
Madame Royale
In the show, firebenders can use fire that's around them or make fire/lightning out appear themselves. katara learns later how to get water without a water source as well.

Katara never learned how to do that. She always had to have some source of water around her in order to bend. That's why she carried a satchel of water around her waist at all times, and when she was captured with Toph at one point, she had to run a lot in order to produce sweat, so that she could use that as a source of water. At no point could she conjure water out of her hands and feet without a source. Even in the desert, she had to use the one little stray cloud in the sky.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff