Welcome to Gaia! ::

yum_tea
I have the feeling like someone has already made this thread,
and if they did i would appreciate you directing me to it, so i can have this one removed.

Anyways, back on subject, i have only watched the first 2 episodes so far, and i can't help but notice, that the bending looks a lot sorta different.
I did expect for it to change, but it seamed that in the first series, the bending had grace &
more beauty, now it seems like an odd form of boxing.

After i saw the part with the arena, i started to have mixed feelings about the city,
i don't want to let go of my memories from the other series. &In the opening / theme thing
i noticed how much waterbending has evolved. It seems to have more, force.

And EARTH! It looks pretty different, less strong movements, (from the opening thing, not the arena) and more smooth.

So again, i have mixed emotions right now.
Discuss the new styles.
Which do you like best?
How does this series float your boat?

Friendly Noob

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Timid 100
I'm not sure, but I think they did say that they purposely altered bending movements. They also got real professional martial artists to help them with movements, etc.

Fashionable Shopper

User ImageI'll be honest. I enjoy the old styles much better. Although, there have only been 4 episodes and who knows what will be learned or applied in upcoming ones. I still love the old styles so much better. I loved Toph's earth pillars and her earth tents, etc. I miss seeing those type of things.

Lonely Gaian

5,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Yeah the bendling is less powerful.
LilPinkCandy
User ImageI'll be honest. I enjoy the old styles much better. Although, there have only been 4 episodes and who knows what will be learned or applied in upcoming ones. I still love the old styles so much better. I loved Toph's earth pillars and her earth tents, etc. I miss seeing those type of things.

yum_tea
Yes!
My thoughts exactly.

I hope we see some more of the 'traditional' stuff later.

Dapper Capitalist

It's simply adapted to the new environment. In the old series there were a lot of open spaces and lots of room for complex movements, but now they're in a more close packed city environment where they have to be careful not to cause a lot of damage. I think it's kind of cool honestly. It's natural that the style would evolve with the times and the setting.

Beloved Knight

6,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
Earth is most definately a force to be reckoned with.

Minerals make metal.. Sand is fluid.. Stone is solid.. Potentially this art is devistating.
Its just used so rigidly without tactic in the movies and cartoons.

With a decent mind set you can do so many things. Even feel the vibrations of those around you.
Heartbeats.. foots steps.. You name it.

Not to mention with a supreme control you can slow the iron in the blood down from reaching vitals.. Successfully putting an opponent to sleep without harm.

I would hope in later episodes there is an earth bender who can show just how solid this form is as an art in comparison to the others so glorified.. thank you for your time.
CreativeButLazy
It's simply adapted to the new environment. In the old series there were a lot of open spaces and lots of room for complex movements, but now they're in a more close packed city environment where they have to be careful not to cause a lot of damage. I think it's kind of cool honestly. It's natural that the style would evolve with the times and the setting.

yum_tea
I do see why they would have to adapt,
and that is why i am hoping that when if there journey moves out of the city,
that there will be more traditional bending.

or at least close to it.

Apocalyptic Cutie-Pie

8,200 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • The Perfect Setup 150
The bending has become much "quicker" as well. No more swinging dramatic hand movements to move a blob of water...
I enjoyed the original Avatar series bending styles, but I kind of like this new change.
New story, new era, and for that an evolved bending style that is more aggressive and less movement and form.

Dapper Capitalist

oId coffee
CreativeButLazy

yum_tea
I do see why they would have to adapt,
and that is why i am hoping that when if there journey moves out of the city,
that there will be more traditional bending.

or at least close to it.

Well on the pro-bending side they're limited by time constraints and boundaries, if they try to do something too complex or fancy they'll either take too long (they're only allowed to bend for one second) or risk stepping over the boundary lines like Korra did during her first match. Inside the city they have to be careful not to cause too much damage to the nearby cars, roads, buildings and people, just like Korra demonstrated in the first episode. Sure she caught the crooks, but she ended up doing more harm than good in the process. Also, it looks like bending is taking a more practical approach as well, for example firebenders using lightning for electricity. It seems that it's just a matter of bending developing into something that is more than a mere martial art form as people are discovering multiple uses for it. I'm sure there are still people in Korra's time learning and practicing the old bending styles, it's just that it's not practical for the current story and setting.

Interesting Combatant

13,625 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bidding War 100
Yes,
Their bending went somehow so weak compared to the 1st serie, it has lost its charm cry
No wonder Chi-blockers are kicking butt e u e
Umi Tsuki Shiro
Yes,
Their bending went somehow so weak compared to the 1st serie, it has lost its charm cry
No wonder Chi-blockers are kicking butt e u e

yum_tea
Yeah they are.
I actually like their style, i always have loved tylee.

Dapper Shapeshifter

7,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I Honestly like the fresh new style. It's a lot different for sure, but I would be disappointed if it was the same old bending.

I'm hoping to see the blood bending come back though.

Interesting Combatant

13,625 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bidding War 100
oId coffee
yum_tea
Yeah they are.
I actually like their style, i always have loved tylee.

Yup, Ty Lee was a powerful oponent and her style really caught me *u*
I like the new bending style but it's slacking off a lot
Hope Korra and team can catch up cx

i think this has a lot to do witht he fact that they are no longer at war.
              the cast of A:TLA learnt to bend for the explicit purpose of fighting.
              they were soldiers, pretty much, or fought on par with them.

bending now is different because they're not bending to save lives -
              their lives, their family, etc - but for amusement and entertainment.
              it's like putting a pro athlete up against a trained soldier. it's horribly unfair.

but honestly, i think the new stances and stuff makes the fighting weaker.
              earthbenders have to be more mobile in probending, but toph wasn't very
              quick, she was just ridic. powerful. zuko and azula could move as much as
              they liked and blasted people for as long as they'd like; probending rules
              hash that kind of fighting. for the opening, consider who's doing these
              moves - water is demonstrated by korra, who has a very 'hot' temperament
              (way more suited for fire/earth), so it's not as smooth as in the original,
              where master pakku demonstrates perfect form and mastery - because
              he's fully in sync with the spiritual side of waterbending while korra's still
              a very physical kind of girl. consider also that katara had a much gentler
              nature than korra has; she was a lot more mellow and non-combative
              (generally speaking) so the ideology behind waterbending came naturally
              to her.

tl;dr - it's really just the fact that they're inexperienced and learnt bending
              for way different reasons than the rest of the cast - because they had to
              (she's the avatar) or for money (probending).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff