Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alright everyone, so I had an earlier thread asking and exploring
what dictated the element a person bended. Well to not repeat myself, I'll just quote
what I came up with.

Quote:
What do you guys think dictates what a bender's element is?
I honestly never questioned this until I realized Bolin and Mako were both brothers, however both could bend different elements.

From the previous show we only saw natives bend their nation's corresponding element. I've never seen someone from the Earth kingdom bend fire, an Air Nomad bend water, etc.

My guess is that there might actually be four ethnic groups in the world of Avatar, where somehow
having a certain genetic code (and if you're a lucky bender) allows you to somehow manipulate certain forces.

This comes from the fact Bolin and Mako are both related, however bend different elements. From this we can see they have mixed genetics from two different parents of biological difference, in other words, bending certain elements resides in some sort of genotype that is passed down by heredity.

The first genotype we could probably examine would be one that dictates whether or not a person can bend or not. A person being able to bend would get this trait from their parents.

Going deeper there might be specific traits that dictate exactly what element the person bends.

Or perhaps I'm taking a too physical approach and overlooking some possibly spiritual answer that exists in that Universe. Not only that, according to Avatar lore humans at first could not bend, but were taught by the first benders, which happened to be certain animals, how to bend. So far, this is the only hole I've found.

Anyways, that's my theory, what about you guys?

Now, this satisfies the explanation I want of what makes an Earthbender an Earthbender, or a Fire bender a Firebender, and why can't they learn a different element.

However there was still the prospect of bending itself. How the ******** do people
manipulate certain substances with certain physical properties, or breathe fire?
Discussing with some one on the other thread, he brought up another good possibility (regarding what dictates what element people bend), he proposed that it was more of a spiritual aspect, rather than biological. Such as, they only needed to believe they could bend, and it was backed up by spirituality. However the only flaw in this was that Toph was a bender with very low "spirituality", and such as Korra, yet they could bend. This of course led me to two more theories, explaining how people are actually able to bend, and what dictates what element they bend.

Alright, so this first theory takes more of an anthropological approach, and it is leaning towards nurture in nature vs nurture. As the user who proposed that bending is extremely spiritual, and that everyone has the potential to bend, for argument's sake I took his point of view and accepted it hypothetically.

So here we can assume that everyone has the potential to be a bender, they just need to believe or be taught how to manipulate forces. Therefore, fundamentally bending is one and the same, such as provided by energybending, since that was the bending art before all others. People bended their energy and not the elements, thus all benders originate from one single bending art.

Now if we view everyone as a potential bender, we'll see that bending is a neutral art, having no distinction in which a person bends a certain substance. This neutral art is shaped by the original benders. Thus, what dictates benders to a certain "element" is culture. For example, let's look at language. A baby has the potential to communicate with other beings. However each communication is divided by "languages". How does a baby learn a language? By observing and being taught how to. Earthbenders are earthbenders because they grew up in a certain culture in which earthbening is a part of, such as a baby learning english instead of spanish. We see evidence of this by the original benders, dragons, badgermoles, the moon, and Skybison. The people observed these objects and were taught by them to bend a certain element.

Another example of this is Toph, who (if I am correct) was not a bender when she was a child. But when she stumbled upon badgermoles, she had a connection to them, and in turn they taught her how to earthbend and use her senses as an extension. These badgermoles influenced Tophs "neutral" metaphysical/spiritual energy.

In conclusion to this theory, the ability to bend is something of a metaphysical energy within everyone, however is influenced and shaped by their nation's culture. Therefore, likewise to my genetics theory, they're dictated to bend specific elements.

My next theory dealt specifically with people being able to actually bend. What exactly allows them to manipulate certain forces and what not?

There was evidence for both genetics and spirituality/metaphysics.

So I decided, why not both?
Yes folks, perhaps the people of the avatar are able to bend because of a genome that is both biological and perhaps metaphysical.

Where have we seen this? Star Wars.
Yes that's right, perhaps the metaphysical genome is similar to the micor-organism
in Star Wars that allows people to use the Force.

Let's take a closer look at the force, shall we?
The Force is a metaphysical and ubiquitous power that binds everyone together.
However only those that are in a sense "Force-Sensitive" can harness this power an manipulate objects and such. This is correlated with the amount of Midi-Chlorians within a person. The higher this count, the greater potential a being had.

This is similar to both theories. However let me explain further on what I think:

If we take into account that specific bending is a nurtured thing, then we can imply that within all beings, there's a sort of organism that allows them to have access to bending, such as energy bending. However, this is still influenced and shaped specifically by culture and teachings. People are able to manipulate forces because of this organism. The more they have, the better potential they have of being a bender, which answers on why we could have three siblings (Aang and Katara's), two of them be benders and the third being a non-bender.

If we take genetics approach, we can imply that this genome dictates what element a person bends, but somehow allows a person to manipulate forces. There would be a variations within this genome, some for water, fire, earth, air, and perhaps neutrality/non-bending.

Anyways, this is what I came up with.
What do you guys think?

tl;dr
Lol, lazy people.
When I got to here:
Quote:
However there was still the prospect of bending itself. How the ******** do people
manipulate certain substances with certain physical properties, or breathe fire?

I stopped reading and thought
"Lol it's a tv cartoon"
Shifrovat
When I got to here:
Quote:

I stopped reading and thought
"Lol it's a tv cartoon"

Okay.
emo

eh. I realise there's probably a meta/spiritual factor, but I think there's definitely a genetic component involved.
              i think that it dictates whether or not you can bend/what you can bend, but the spiritual side of things decides just
              whether you will have this gene or not; a non-spiritual person will be less likely to have it as it is superflous to their
              genetic makeup; they do not "need" it so it does not take precendence.

genetic explaination:
              assume that the bender gene (bb) is recessive.
              Aang has gene bb (all air nomads were benders; genetically, this means all air nomads had genotype bb)
              Katara's mother was a nonbender Bb. her father also has genotype Bb, after his mother/father/unseen relative.

this means:

B/b b/b - B ..... b
              b ........ - Bb | bb
              b ........ - Bb | bb

so the fact that Aang and Katara's three children include a nonbender and two benders is perfectly logical; there is a 50% chance (roughly) of the child either being a bender or nonbender.

three children, of which only one was a nonbender. okay; logic, right?

the gene for which type of bending you can do ae separate genes on their own, and the presence of these genes
              determine the kind of bending the child is able to perform.
              alternatively, they are chromosomal abberations/mutations of a highly specific degree; if, for example, the offspring
              would theoretically be able to bend two elements, the mother's body auto-aborts the embryo (similar to what happens
              with rl females who inherit the haemophillia trait on both x-chromosomes; because they would bleed to death at
              puberty, the body recgnises this as a failure and gets rid of it) because of the fact that the child would not survive, like
              many chromosomal abberations lead to. Down Syndrome and Turner Syndrome are what happens when the
              abberation is nonlethal; if another chromosome was copied too many times in humans than 21, we would probably
              die.
              so bending would work on a similar principle.
I, too, believe it's just genetics.

But how do you possibly get two different elements in the same bloodline, right? Well it's similar to different races of people having offspring imo.

If the father carries the gene to be an earth bender, and the mother carries the gene to be a fire bender, then logically the offspring of these two would have a chance to be one or the other. It's just by odds that Mako and Bolin have different bending abilities.

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I too am inclined to thing bending is all about genetics. The four nations are like different races. Each one has the gens for a different type of bending. Mako and Bolin can be brothers with different bending because they have parents that hold gens for both types of bending. They might not even have been benders, but I bet they came from fire nation colonies where the two nations intermarried.

Lets not forget that set of twins from the first series, one was a bender, and one was not.

Wheezing Fatcat

Things that you should consider but that are probably irrelevant because I sorta zoned out sorry. Katara started waterbending with very little influence since there were no water benders in her tribe that weren't off to war when she was growing up.

I think that it is probably primarily genetics. Though people from any nation could in theory have that gene hidden down a ways in their family history.

A thing to consider is maybe that some people who are not born benders can achieve bending in times where it is required for survival, such as Toph when she was living underground. smile

Shapeshifter

something i'm curious about, is eye color connected to what you can bend? you'd think with mixed ethnicity families you'd get a firebender with green eyes or an earthbender with gold. maybe we've seen some and i've just missed it.

i also imagine the genetics for bending wouldn't be straight forward dominant/recessive, considering Katara and Aang had a non-bending child (unless he got a mutation in that particular gene). it's probably an interaction of several genes that result in the ability to bend.

and this is reminding me of channeling in WoT. o.o
though at least that has got to have some x or y chromosome stuff going on.

Backwoods Loiterer

LokiLB
something i'm curious about, is eye color connected to what you can bend? you'd think with mixed ethnicity families you'd get a firebender with green eyes or an earthbender with gold. maybe we've seen some and i've just missed it.

i also imagine the genetics for bending wouldn't be straight forward dominant/recessive, considering Katara and Aang had a non-bending child (unless he got a mutation in that particular gene). it's probably an interaction of several genes that result in the ability to bend.

Well going off of eye colour Tahno appears to be a water bender judging from his uniform and his eyes are golden-ish colour right? Fairly certain they're not blue anyway and his skin is pale as mayo compared to Korra. So maybe a those features don't correlate with bending ability once you start mixing the nations.

Shapeshifter

Ouhi_Emi
LokiLB

Well going off of eye colour Tahno appears to be a water bender judging from his uniform and his eyes are golden-ish colour right? Fairly certain they're not blue anyway and his skin is pale as mayo compared to Korra. So maybe a those features don't correlate with bending ability once you start mixing the nations.

i figured i'd missed someone who didn't match the moment i typed that. xp
Tahno does seem to not match up with much you'd expect from a water bender.

crap, now i want the genealogies of all of these characters. xd makes me want to break out the population genetics book and start crunching numbers.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Bending is run on genetics. That's why it's not possible to take it away permanently.
I remember there was an interview with the creators at one point, saying bending is determined by their spirituality. or maybe that was the show. Idk @_@
Mitsuki Horenake
Bending is run on genetics. That's why it's not possible to take it away permanently.

You must not remember energybending.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Soviet Titties V
Mitsuki Horenake

You must not remember energybending.

Well, only the Avatar can energybend, right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff