Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adored Senshi

13,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
gaia_angelleft gaia_crown gaia_angelright

Remember in the original series Firelord Sozin (who started the war and killed Avatar Roku) had all airbenders killed because he knew the next avatar would be an airbender? Hence the whole LAST AIR BENDER title...

It's obvious bending is an inherited trait and can no longer be learned by nonbenders; the people have evolved long ago for that. As for the whole Toph and mole thing, she was born an earth bender, but the moles trained her and helped her control it, not actually giving her the power to.

Personally I'm glad there still isn't a whole bunch of airbenders now; it goes along with the original series and stays true to that. You get to also see just how sever Firelord Sozin's actions were that day.

I just wanted to clear this up because I've been seeing a lot of stupid topics like this; IF YOU'D WATCH THE ORIGINAL SERIES, YOU'D GET IT!

Edit~ http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Aang This is a good read. If you're still trying to push the whole, "oh you can just learn it!!" deal, no you can't. It's not something simple. Every airbender is going to have to be one of Aang's decendents thanks to Sozin.

Calinder
        Come on people this isnt hard!

Please read old posts before joining in.

Toph was taught by the badger moles to CONTROL he abilities-she was always able to because it was in her bloodline. Its the reason that not everyone is an bender-even some of the very rich no matter how much they want it.

The eveidence indicates that it [and all other formss of bending] is passed through blood and cannot be taught. this doesnt mean it will be gone for good-eventually it will spread through the population over generations.

NOTE: as for theorys of escape/hiding/survival of the other monks...they aer speculation and have absoloutely no evidence, not only that but going by their personality and character traits-its just something they probably wouldn't do.

Hunter

You don't know for a FACT that people can't develop bending on their own, you just don't know of any situations where it has happened. Maybe no one's tried it? Clearly if they were able to do in the first place, it's plausible they could do it again. If someone dedicated their life to it and worked hard and studied sky bison, who's to say they may not be able to develop bending?

There is no where and no one that says it's impossible for a non bender to learn bending just because no one's done it in a really, really long time.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I think you're thinking of Fire Lord Sozin.

You bring an interesting statement with Toph. Her parents weren't Earthbenders, and she learned by badgermoles. If I'm not mistaken, they were the first Earthbenders, as dragons were the first Firebenders and (apparently) the Moon was the first Waterbender. From them, the bending arts were learned.

One does not have to born to benders to be a bender - however, one does seem to have to be born in the specific group of people from which those benders belong. For instance, Firebenders only come from the Fire Nation, Earthbenders only come from the Earth Kingdom, and so on and so forth. The only one who screws with this is the Avatar.

In any case, Aang's bloodline continues, passing on down through his son Tenzin, and his children. Chances are high that even if non-benders come from Tenzin's bloodline, they may still continue the Air Nomad heritage, and from them may come someone with the potential to learn Airbending down the line.

The Air Nomads as they once were, are gone. But they still live on through Aang's descendants. Hell, they even found living sky bisons! I found that comforting as all hell. I loved Appa. 3nodding

Adored Senshi

13,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Breezes
You don't know for a FACT that people can't develop bending on their own, you just don't know of any situations where it has happened. Maybe no one's tried it? Clearly if they were able to do in the first place, it's plausible they could do it again. If someone dedicated their life to it and worked hard and studied sky bison, who's to say they may not be able to develop bending?

There is no where and no one that says it's impossible for a non bender to learn bending just because no one's done it in a really, really long time.

The weird thing is, on the welcome to republic city little flash game thing, Tenzin says, "I live here with my family and air acolytes..." and so on, and the way he phrased something gave me the impression that there were airbenders other than Korra or his kids there that he was training.

But I'm probably wrong, and they're just people who chose to live in the way of the old air nomads.

Adored Senshi

13,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Hearts_Are_Cold
The weird thing is, on the welcome to republic city little flash game thing, Tenzin says, "I live here with my family and air acolytes..." and so on, and the way he phrased something gave me the impression that there were airbenders other than Korra or his kids there that he was training.

But I'm probably wrong, and they're just people who chose to live in the way of the old air nomads.

The only airbenders there could be now have to be related to Aang, seeing as the genocide of them from Sozin killed all but Aang. I think they just choose to live that way.

Hunter

Miss Vern
Breezes

How am I wrong about that? Did you READ what I said? It doesn't say anywhere in the profile that it's now impossible for a person to possibly learn bending even if they aren't related to a bender. If "humans" did it in the past, they could plausibly do it now. I know damned well what happened in the first series...that Sozin destroyed all the air benders but it even SAYS in the first series that the first air benders were air bison and people learned to bend the air by studying them. Just like the moon was the first water bender and people learned how to water bend by studying the push and pull of tides. So why is it implausible that a human could learn bending through this same study and where does it say it's impossible?

And just because it "isn't simple" doesn't mean it's "literally impossible and will absolutely never happen again in the history of all the humans living on that planet until the end of times".

Adored Senshi

13,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Breezes

How am I wrong about that? Did you READ what I said? It doesn't say anywhere in the profile that it's now impossible for a person to possibly learn bending even if they aren't related to a bender. If "humans" did it in the past, they could plausibly do it now. I know damned well what happened in the first series...that Sozin destroyed all the air benders but it even SAYS in the first series that the first air benders were air bison and people learned to bend the air by studying them. Just like the moon was the first water bender and people learned how to water bend by studying the push and pull of tides. So why is it implausible that a human could learn bending through this same study and where does it say it's impossible?

I don't think you understand how hard that would be, and like I said, that would have been thousands of years ago people learned it straight from the master animals themselves. Evolution over time has made it so that it is inherited. There is no listed character, in Aang's time or present, who has learned airbending. All airbenders, therefore, are to be direct descendents from Aang.

Hunter

Miss Vern
Breezes

I don't think you understand how hard that would be, and like I said, that would have been thousands of years ago people learned it straight from the master animals themselves. Evolution over time has made it so that it is inherited. There is no listed character, in Aang's time or present, who has learned airbending. All airbenders, therefore, are to be direct descendents from Aang.

Yeah, it would be hard, but it is not impossible. I understand that all currently air benders are descendants of Aang, but you're literally telling me there will never be a human in the rest of the history of the planet that will develop air bending on their own, therefore breaking the descendent line while at the same time telling me it's not impossible (just really difficult).

My logic muscle...it hurts.

Adored Senshi

13,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Breezes

Yeah, it would be hard, but it is not impossible. I understand that all currently air benders are descendants of Aang, but you're literally telling me there will never be a human in the rest of the history of the planet that will develop air bending on their own, therefore breaking the descendent line while at the same time telling me it's not impossible (just really difficult).

You just agreed with me that there isn't going to be.

You are an idiot and are stupid and therefore I won this argument even with your help good night lol

Hunter

Miss Vern
Breezes

You just agreed with me that there isn't going to be.

You are an idiot and are stupid and therefore I won this argument even with your help good night lol

What the actual ******** lady. I've done no such thing. Stop it.
gonk

Adored Senshi

13,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100

Hunter

Miss Vern
Breezes

User Image

User Image
@Hearts_Are_Cold: The Air Acolytes are merely taught the ways of the Air Nomads by Tenzin. That's all that's been revealed about them.

@Miss Vern and Breezes: I think that Breezes' theory is logical, but I'm not getting my hopes up. You would think that if there were still air-benders around, they would have possibly been found along with the colony of sky bison. But there is a possibility that the surviving air nomads were so terrified by Sozin's committal of genocide on their people, that they cut off all contact with the outside world permanently and hid themselves away, and have yet to come out of hiding.

Aang was supposed to be the last air-bender, and that was supposed to make people sympathize with him and his ordeal. The air-benders are going to be repopulated, though, thanks to Aang and Katara having Tenzin, and Tenzin having his three children.

Breezes mentioned that it is possible that humans may have the ability to learn how to bend. That is possible. Perhaps something like that will be revealed later in the series. If Amon has a way to take a person's bending away, then there's most likely a way to get the bending back. Or there couldn't be. Dunno, we'll have to wait. Though in my opinion, it's highly unlikely non benders have the potential to bend, because if everyone's able to bend, there's really no point to the whole plot of Avatar: Legend of Korra.

Meh, to sum up my post that probably made no sense at all, it is very possible that there were air-benders that survived the Fire Nation. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, so I wouldn't say the thought is wrong. I will say, however, that people should just watch the show and not get into arguments about this kind of stuff.

Wait and see what the show says. Theorizing about stuff is fine, but when you try to pass it off as the absolute truth, you only make yourself look like a meanie.

...Don't hurt me? sweatdrop

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Loveless the Ponyo Onion
@Hearts_Are_Cold: The Air Acolytes are merely taught the ways of the Air Nomads by Tenzin. That's all that's been revealed about them.

I remember hearing someone state that bending is a spiritual thing, though. So perhaps Airbenders could spring from the Acolytes?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff