Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
recently i submitted this avatar to the arena, and got people downrating and commenting that it was a set, yet every item in it is unique to the other, when are items considered a set? i understand single suite items as being considered a set as it doesnt allow for author creativity, but all items that can be used as sets i chose the little items for, for instance the gun is a potential "set" item and the boots are a "set" item (belonging to seperate sets). Somebody please clarify because this makes making avatars retarded if your judged for using an item that oviously goes with what your makeing.

Lady Loiterer

set use is when a person equips gold shop items of the same name and color, or uses multiples of of a multi-pose item when making an avatar. so if you have more than one gold item with the name "high elf" in it, or have two "gunslinger" items equipped (and are using them for two different poses) it would be set use.

set use is seen as a bed thing because it means you are using items or poses of an item that are made to go with each other, or in the case of multi-pose items you are matching an item with itself. set use does not take a lot of creativity or effort on the avatar creator's part, and it's therefore seen as lazy, boring, and unoriginal.

hope this helped.
I'm looking at your equip list and I'm just as confused. There are no multiple poses of an EI/MC/etc, nor are there multiple items with "gunslinger" or anything in the name neutral

It really does look like a set. But it's not. That's rather good avatar making right thur.

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Amy Arsonist
I'm looking at your equip list and I'm just as confused. There are no multiple poses of an EI/MC/etc, nor are there multiple items with "gunslinger" or anything in the name neutral

It really does look like a set. But it's not. That's rather good avatar making right thur.

lol thank you very much =), i was just really depressed cause it only got a 2.79 rating, and my only 2 comments were bashing my avatar saying that it was a set
-_-' i guess im just too good for the arena's lol.

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
set use is when a person equips gold shop items of the same name and color, or uses multiples of of a multi-pose item when making an avatar. so if you have more than one gold item with the name "high elf" in it, or have two "gunslinger" items equipped (and are using them for two different poses) it would be set use.

set use is seen as a bed thing because it means you are using items or poses of an item that are made to go with each other, or in the case of multi-pose items you are matching an item with itself. set use does not take a lot of creativity or effort on the avatar creator's part, and it's therefore seen as lazy, boring, and unoriginal.

hope this helped.

Thank you very much =) it may not change the fact that my avi did crappy in the arena, but at least now i know the complaints against it were unjustified.

Lady Loiterer

gab1192
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

hope this helped.

Thank you very much =) it may not change the fact that my avi did crappy in the arena, but at least now i know the complaints against it were unjustified.
this is the exact avatar people called a set? wow, that saddens me. do THEY know what a set is?

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
gab1192
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

hope this helped.

this is the exact avatar people called a set? wow, that saddens me. do THEY know what a set is?

Yes indeed, this is the exact avatar, i save all completed avatars in my closet for if i ever want to go back to them, rather convienent =), but, to answer your second question, apparently not lol.

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
gonk doh! i just reallized why this happened

my description: Finally completed another set, got alot of review and suggestions and i thank everyone that helped make it what it is =)

i guess people read it a little bit too literally.

D!sco~'s Wife

Lavish Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
The avatar arenas are a joke. The avatars that deserve to win rarely do, and the majority of the people there know little to nothing about making good avatars.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
marwolfer
The avatar arenas are a joke. The avatars that deserve to win rarely do, and the majority of the people there know little to nothing about making good avatars.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

very true at times, hell half the people will downrate you just for taking the time to describe what your avatar is about or what you are going for.

Invisible Lunatic

6,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
It surprises me that people even read the description, most people down and then down vote it for the hell of it.

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Insane King Wasabi
It surprises me that people even read the description, most people down and then down vote it for the hell of it.
usually i dont have that problem.. i think, though i cant count how many times ive gotten the following "overused color scheme" "generic" "whining in the description" (whining mind you was asking not to be downrated because i enjoy a color scheme that others happen to like using as well), "having an attitude (same as last), character facing away (this one is personal prefference so understandable). but usually the comments contain something along those lines... occasionally i will get a comment sayin i did a good job, but its few and far between.

Eternal Lightbringer

Avatar arenas are popularity contests. Just people asking all their friends to upvote them or making a bunch of mules and upvoting themselves. The intelligence in there makes the Chatterbox look like a hangout for astrophysicists.

Invisible Lunatic

6,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
gab1192
Insane King Wasabi
usually i dont have that problem.. i think, though i cant count how many times ive gotten the following "overused color scheme" "generic" "whining in the description" (whining mind you was asking not to be downrated because i enjoy a color scheme that others happen to like using as well), "having an attitude (same as last), character facing away (this one is personal prefference so understandable). but usually the comments contain something along those lines... occasionally i will get a comment sayin i did a good job, but its few and far between.

I guess they see the black color scheme and don't look at what is actually used. As far as the overused comments, people generally say that when people have a dark themed avi. It's just the way the arena's work.

Unforgiving Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Immortal Prince
Avatar arenas are popularity contests. Just people asking all their friends to upvote them or making a bunch of mules and upvoting themselves. The intelligence in there makes the Chatterbox look like a hangout for astrophysicists.
not to get off topic but god damn lol ur avitar puts mine to shame XD. but yeah, i feel thats kinda how it is,such is life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff