Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, here's a pretty big question to everyone.

Displaying the Top 10 is great in some aspects, in that it's easy to find good (by personal preference) avatars to vote on. After all, it's more fun deciding between really good avatars than it is a couple of rather droll ones.

However, quite clearly, people have noticed that being in the Top 10 often results in a sudden drop in rating... i.e. you're getting targetted by people who are just voting 1s on everything (quite possibly to give themselves a better chance at the Top 10 sad ).

If the Top 10 was removed, it'd be harder to find avatars with high ratings and low-vote them. Equally, there wouldn't be the minor problem of some avatars with 30 votes, and Top 10 avatars with 800 (some may see this as a good idea, but I don't).

Do you think displaying the Top 10 is a good idea, or a bad idea, in general?

--

Or indeed, to preserve the ease of finding good avatars, but stem the ease of voting badly on them, would it be easier if the present Top 10 were viewable, but you couldn't simply click on them and vote?

--

P.S. I'm cheap so snikt me as you feel is fair.

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I thnk that if you get on you should get a pm, but not everyone to see, cause then everyone only votes for them..
Bad idea. It makes me feel insignificant.
I sorta agree... Maybe they could show the avatars, but not put a link to their voting or a name, that way only the people who know the person in the top ten would recognize them and yet everyone would get a view of what kind of avies are making it to the top? Maybe that would cut down on people just being able to click on someone and vote... I dunno, maybe that's a silly idea. *shrugs*

Tipsy Roisterer

I did notice that when my avatar was in the top ten I dropped from a 6 average to a 4 sweatdrop

Doting Darling

14,350 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
Yeah avatars usually only stay in the top ten for a few seconds unless they have gobs of votes to counter the low ballers. It does sort of make it unfair.
Aisha Woku
I sorta agree... Maybe they could show the avatars, but not put a link to their voting or a name, that way only the people who know the person in the top ten would recognize them and yet everyone would get a view of what kind of avies are making it to the top? Maybe that would cut down on people just being able to click on someone and vote... I dunno, maybe that's a silly idea. *shrugs*
It's true, if it were more difficult to vote on those in the top 10, I suspect many more people would have trouble voting against them, but then, the same is true of voting for them. Alas for double-edged swords. neutral
mangacatgirl
Yeah avatars usually only stay in the top ten for a few seconds unless they have gobs of votes to counter the low ballers. It does sort of make it unfair.

Yeah, I was on the top 10 when voting first started with a 9-10 score, then the next second it blumeted to a 5.3... *sighs* Sad but true, I'm not saying my avie deserved to stay on the top 10, it was just a bit depressing to watch the score go down so fast -_-;; lol
Agreed. Sometimes even I have the strongest urge to vote 1's for them. xp Sometimes I refresh my avatar page just to see how I'm doing, and I notice some pretty big drop in numbers within a few seconds just for being in the top 10.
I agree. O_o; But then again, if there were no Top 10, I don't think many people would want to hunt out good avatars for themselves.

This really IS a double-edged sword.
PinkieSwear
I agree. O_o; But then again, if there were no Top 10, I don't think many people would want to hunt out good avatars for themselves.

I think Aisha's idea is pretty good tho'.

It takes only two quick clicks to vote badly on an avatar in the Top 10 at present. However, if you have to copy and paste their name, search with it, and then click twice, it'd slow down anti-voting much more.

LP's Partner

Dedicated Sweetheart

15,425 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
No matter what you do there is always going to be a bit of unfairness. In fact I'll wager that it only takes a couple of weeks before this thing is purely a 'popularity contest'.

I think the removal of the top ten would be a good thing. Not necessarily because of the unfairness of them losing points (which DOES suck), but because myself, as one low on the list would like an even amount of votings.. and not to end up with zero comments and 12 votes.. as opposed to those on the top ten that have 3,000 comments and 99,999 votes.

Just because we aren't top 10 worthy doesn't mean we don't deserve opinions too. XD
Calmer
PinkieSwear

I think Aisha's idea is pretty good tho'.

It takes only two quick clicks to vote badly on an avatar in the Top 10 at present. However, if you have to copy and paste their name, search with it, and then click twice, it'd slow down anti-voting much more.
It would. =B I like that idea.

Frozen Sex Symbol

I was hopeing that the top 10 would not be shown. Since they hog up all the votes, good or bad.
Deism
I was hopeing that the top 10 would not be shown. Since they hog up all the votes, good or bad.

But what's the point if you don't get to show off just a bit? : ) I mean, yes, you will get to see 1st place when it gets put on the home page... but what about everyone else that had very nice avies as well... : )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff