Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Should reference pictures in the cosplay arena be mandatory?

Yes 0.6 60.0% [ 12 ]
No 0.05 5.0% [ 1 ]
Yes and No 0.35 35.0% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 20 ]

Dapper Conventioneer

8,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
Do you think they should be mandatory when submitting into the Cosplay arena?

As much as I would love for them to be mandatory, I feel like it could be unfair to some.

There are some people who try their hardest to get their reference to show up, but it just doesn't. It wouldn't be entirely fair to them because they tried but it didn't work for some reason.
Then there are people who deliberately don't add one because "omgz don't you know how to use Google?!? Are you that lazy?!? What do you mean you don't know this character?!?!"

I exaggerate a bit, but you get my point. stare

I just wish more people who go into the cosplay arena would just add a reference or link one from the get-go. I think it'd be cool if the actual picture didn't show up, a clickable link would be there. I don't know if that would ever work, but I can dream.

In my dream world of the arena, you wouldn't be allowed to continue through submissions if you didn't provide a reference link (whether the actual picture showed up or not).

So yeah, what do you guys think? This is a simple yes or no (and yes & no) question, but feel free to elaborate as to why you think what you think. Try to be considerate of what others think if you reply; not everyone will think the same as you sweatdrop

Salty Fashionista

33,750 Points
  • I Get Knocked Down... 50
  • Team Carl 200
  • Smooth Operator 100
I think yes. There are many references, figures and characters that I've never heard and win the arena every day, without these references can be tricky to overcome.

What I find ridiculous is the people who rate look at the reference and say that the background is not necessary. No need to join the avatar with the background, it only serves as a support to decorate the finished work! Pure public ignorance of generation Z...

Another thing I dislike are the entries of "Avatar Spotlight". Surely this increases the number of votes, and the best known guys (It's Meark, Leirus Non-Mercy, Lady_Aldae, etc ...) he is easier to win them! And how is canvassing electoral vote: not always the best wins.

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Yes I do.

If it's a book character then the reference should be the cover of the book.
yes it should, cuz i dont always know what people are cos-playing

Beloved Regular

Pilotslover
Yes I do.

What if I've never read the book?

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Uncle Knickknack
Pilotslover
Yes I do.

What if I've never read the book?

?

Why would you cosplay a character from a book if you don't know who they are?

Or do you mean what if you as a voter don't know them because that's what the description is for wink

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
I kinda feel bad for the people who do present a well avatar in the cosplay arena and get down voted because of no reference. Especially first timers. It states that it is optional.
Granted, I understand why the critics and voter get upset and even myself will get frustrated with no reference...but at the same time, can you really blame them?
Since it isn't in the rules, should people really get down-voted because of it? Is that really fair to the people who do present a awesome cosplay with no ref?

It's one of those grey areas with an unwritten rule that is highly enforced.

Chatty Genius

7,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
I'm not going to have a reference picture up, partly because I have no idea how to do it, or didn't at the time, andI don't have a photobucket account /:. But a reference is my profile. The layout is just halloween Sora. I also think that some people choose not to put the reference picture in because it can sometimes back fire. They could be critisized more for not having every thing super perfect. I find the cosplay arena very harsh. I've only entered once, for next week. I'm not expecting to win, I'm not expecting to be perfect, but I was happy with my halloween avi this year and wanted to share it with people that might appreciate it, that is all.

Dapper Conventioneer

8,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
Alchemist_Lynn
I'm not going to have a reference picture up, partly because I have no idea how to do it, or didn't at the time, andI don't have a photobucket account /:. But a reference is my profile. The layout is just halloween Sora. I also think that some people choose not to put the reference picture in because it can sometimes back fire. They could be critisized more for not having every thing super perfect. I find the cosplay arena very harsh. I've only entered once, for next week. I'm not expecting to win, I'm not expecting to be perfect, but I was happy with my halloween avi this year and wanted to share it with people that might appreciate it, that is all.

Hm, are there any forums to show how to put up a reference before submitting your finalized cosplay? If there really isn't, I can probably make one (showing how to make a photobucket account, adding your picture there, adding it here, making your own references using a video and printscreening it, etc).

I think if you link your profile, that should suffice. If there isn't an actual picture, most people are happy with a link somewhere where they can find it (i.e. your description or a comment). With having it in a comment, try to repost it every few comments, so it's always near the top for others to find it :]

I agree with it possibly backfiring. If the cosplay doesn't completely match up with the reference (the outfit or the scene), some people downvote it because of that reason. It's a sad fact but it happens a lot. It is very harsh nowadays :l

Good luck next week, though! I hope I can find your submission (I loooove KH ^__^) ♥

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Alchemist_Lynn

How to put up a reference.

Dapper Conventioneer

8,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
Pilotslover
Alchemist_Lynn

welp, that answers my question about the thread lol. Thank you for linking that~

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
KuroKaori
Pilotslover
Alchemist_Lynn

welp, that answers my question about the thread lol. Thank you for linking that~

Quite my pleasure, it was floating towards the bottom of the page, they were supposed to sticky it ...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff