Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, I already know alot of people might disagree with me when I say this but...here I go.
I feel like most of the avatars on the top 10 are pretty good, not the best but a few are just plain awesome. But I think this has turned into a popularity contest. I've noticed that almost everyone on the top 10 list could be considered "popular."
Anyone else feel that the people in the top ten got so many votes becuase of their popularity instead of style? (not saying that the avatars are bad, I just think most of them are on their becuase of the user's popularity)
Quote:
If you've made it into the top ten, there's probably a few reason why that happened:
  • You're popular; something you earn.
  • You've made a massive amount of threads in the proper places
  • You've gotten all your mules and all your friends' mules to vote for you.
  • All of the above.

To me, it seems like the Avatar Arena has turned into less of a costume contest and more of a game based on competition. Then again, that's how you win the contests; you work hard.
It isn't that hard to have all your friends vote for you but once you reach the top 10 you can see that the people there keep getting votes. I copy/pasted there names in the search and voted what I thought they were instead of just haveing a random avi come up. Many of the avi's in the contest are orignal so I look for ones that I would vote for and give a score on what I feel they deserve.

As for my avi I enterd I tried to make it stand out than most others and give some color adding a halloween theme of orange and black mostly.
Airez
Quote:
If you've made it into the top ten, there's probably a few reason why that happened:
  • You're popular; something you earn.
  • You've made a massive amount of threads in the proper places
  • You've gotten all your mules and all your friends' mules to vote for you.
  • All of the above.

To me, it seems like the Avatar Arena has turned into less of a costume contest and more of a game based on competition. Then again, that's how you win the contests; you work hard.
For some reason, that just kinda seems wrong considering how it's supposed to be an avatar contest and not a popularity contest and it's under the ART arena. I don't think it should be that way since obviously the admins considered it art.

Sparkly Fairy

I have to agree with you to an extent.. I can poke out a handful of them that i've seen around or just happen to recognize the name.. not becasue I know them but becasue they are reaonably "popular" or well liked....

Original Sex Symbol

Popularity can be a bad thing too you know. For each time a person gets a high rating because they are recogonized by someone, they also stand a chance are getting rated lower by people that are jealous of their popularity or just spiteful.

Ornate Gaian

800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
you forgot one.

* You cheat and promis everybody who votes for you gold!
jessyta
Popularity can be a bad thing too you know. For each time a person gets a high rating because they are recogonized by someone, they also stand a chance are getting rated lower by people that are jealous of their popularity or just spiteful.
And I'll bet that for each low rating they get about 3-6 high ratings.
jessyta
My point exactly.

Sparkly Fairy

jessyta

those people are just as bad as the people who only vote because someone is popular.... they both fall in the same category for me...

people have their own reason for voting yes.. :/ But I like to think I vote on the outfit presented to me and not a name

Tipsy Roisterer

I don't know most of the people on the top ten list, so much for being poular.

I vote for what I liked and not the name, also the Titles and Descriptions helped slightly too.
DBZVegeta - That's considered scamming and is a reportable offence.

Ziddim - Never said it was fair or proper; it's simply what people do to earn a mere 50,000 gold. If you look at the top ten, you'll see that many of the positions are jumping all over the place. Simply by having your mules vote for you and ahving your friends vote for you, you can end up having a huge rating for a small time. However, not everyone will like your avatar as soon as it hits the top ten, and many will vote it down immediately.

Heck, there are people around there that are voting 1's and 10's for every single avatar they see. Some don't care what the avatar looks like; they're just in it for the gold.

Original Sex Symbol

Ziddim
jessyta
And I'll bet that for each low rating they get about 3-6 high ratings.
Impossible to know.

Seriously, the contest is SO new, it's really hard to see how the majority of Gaia will base their votes.

But at the end of the week, it will be fairly clear. 3nodding

Sparkly Fairy

yep all we can do is wait and see how the results turn out. Plus today is the firsrt day of voting so everything is going to be crazy anyway..
Airez

Ziddim - Never said it was fair or proper; it's simply what people do to earn a mere 50,000 gold. If you look at the top ten, you'll see that many of the positions are jumping all over the place. Simply by having your mules vote for you and ahving your friends vote for you, you can end up having a huge rating for a small time. However, not everyone will like your avatar as soon as it hits the top ten, and many will vote it down immediately.

Heck, there are people around there that are voting 1's and 10's for every single avatar they see. Some don't care what the avatar looks like; they're just in it for the gold.
I was just saying that in my own opinion it isn't fair. But being popular pays off in ways that having a badass avatar never would in this arena, it seems.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff