Welcome to Gaia! ::

Skilled Knight

HI, My name is link(Robert) I've been doing arenas for a really long time now and just coming in to build my own collection and variation of avatars in arenas now after 4 years of trying to make the perfect link and no other cosplays.

Being in the arenas fora good amount of time i'd like to share advice for entering cosplays smile
hope these are helpful and clear up some things. I just want to help if anyone needs it

1. Honestly some things i have noticed is that overdone cosplays are ...yes overdone. But be serious people the overdone ones arent usually best so still feel free to take a whirl at the cosplay you want to create just try to be creative with layering

2. YES layering. It is something that people tend to neglect. There may be the item that you think is perfect for your character out there that is all one piece. But hey try looking at other items that might layer on top of one another and see if it works. PLUS IT MAKES THE CREATING MUCH MORE SATISFYING

3. BACKGROUNDS These i have found are pretty much a necessity unless your idea for cosplay is extremely new and creative then you can usually get away with it BUT A NICE BACKGROUND ALWAYS HELPS so why not

People for centuries have enjoyed nice scenery and that doesnt change with online so go out there and work to create a beautiful avi in the environment its meant to be in

4. If you are not finished your cosplay. I'm sure you might be able to tell and im being honest here save the 10k to make something that you can be really happy with if it ever placed
I MEAN WHY NOT MAKE IT THE BEST YOU CAN. ...heck that just means it will be hard to beat for the next up coming cosplay wink

5. EYES
not saying shop eyes are bad. but maybe pair them with some other items (masquerade) for example to match the eyes a bit more to your character if need be. Also if there is a more expensive eye out their that looks nicer. maybe put out the gold for it to enhance your cosplay

6. For submitting REFERENCE IMAGES photobucket works best. Pay attention to the size of the image and stay within the parameters of gaia i believe its 500MB in size. References are very much needed. you will get comments saying 0/5 or no rate otherwise. people are harsh in arenas for that subject.

7. THINGS NOT TO DO. Do not create arguments. it can affect later entries. people like to hold grudges for arenas. If they remember you being mean then they will downvote or make rude comments. SO try to remember common knowledge on how to be polite. NO need for flame wars on something you worked hard to create!

8. Be cautious with gender in arenas it is a highly debated subject of male vs female for certain entries.

I WILL ADD MORE TIPS LATER HOPE YOU ENJOY <3 AND GET CREATING

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
This is a really good idea! A thread like this was needed! ^^

Skilled Knight

IIDarknessChosenII

I thought so, i mean i know its a competition so secrets dont like to be revealed but i like the variation of cosplays( GOOD COSPLAY) so anything to make the arena more interesting and help out everyone

smile <also love your idea of the food icons

Lavish Elder

Yes, good tips. The only problem is that people are only going to vote for what they know. Even if you do a great job on a not-as-well-known character, chances are you probably won't win since most people will skip you over.

Lucky Survivor

18,475 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Giving Spooks the Spook 100
  • The Committee Staff 25
I really like your Link cosplay. So far the best one I've seen. I like the shirt/skirt combined to look like his tunic, and the background. Its all really good.

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Link Chosen Hero Of Time
IIDarknessChosenII

I thought so, i mean i know its a competition so secrets dont like to be revealed but i like the variation of cosplays( GOOD COSPLAY) so anything to make the arena more interesting and help out everyone

smile <also love your idea of the food icons

Exactly!

And thanks ^^ I'm trying to do Mrs. Buttersworth, but aprons are hard to find...

Skilled Knight

Teacup Kiki
I really like your Link cosplay. So far the best one I've seen. I like the shirt/skirt combined to look like his tunic, and the background. Its all really good.

thank you i will be submitting this monday <3 and ready for all of the "overdone" comments

glad you like it

Skilled Knight

The Dark Gentleman
Yes, good tips. The only problem is that people are only going to vote for what they know. Even if you do a great job on a not-as-well-known character, chances are you probably won't win since most people will skip you over.

the point is to make it close to the cosplay if it is good enough it will place
I know many cosplayers that do unknown cosplays and thats what makes them great is that people havent seen it in arenas

its a plus side to the this has been done before comments

there will be ups and downs to each entry no matter what either its to well known or not well enough

just make it good and have faith in your work

Friendly Phantom

Subscribed. This is basically the only thing people really look for. I love how you hit every point there is to a cosplay in the arenas. But some times, some cosplays weren't meant to be made on here. Like for example. My Skeith that is currently in the arenas. But I have to say, I was pretty satisfied with completing it. Anyways, it doesn't hurt to try cosplays from new anime/manga either. But bringing back old cosplays might help ya a bit. Knowing it might somehow trigger their fond childhood memories. wink

Shameless Hoarder

12,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
I don't like tip number five. I think salon eyes can be good on their own, it just matters what you're doing.

Skilled Knight

Naramaru
I don't like tip number five. I think salon eyes can be good on their own, it just matters what you're doing.

Im sorry you dont like it and i hate stating it . My main point and maybe ill re word it in my post is that eyes are hated in arenas to a point because they are cheap and YES SADLY they are judged by that .....so if there is a better eye out there hold on save for it and use it. There has been plenty of times where one person places with an avatar ...then a few weeks later someone adds better eyes and maybe one other item and places higher and again because ...it is better

NOT SAYING SHOP EYES DONT WORK JUST SAYING THEY ARE HATED ON SO ITS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

Skilled Knight

Raininq
Subscribed. This is basically the only thing people really look for. I love how you hit every point there is to a cosplay in the arenas. But some times, some cosplays weren't meant to be made on here. Like for example. My Skeith that is currently in the arenas. But I have to say, I was pretty satisfied with completing it. Anyways, it doesn't hurt to try cosplays from new anime/manga either. But bringing back old cosplays might help ya a bit. Knowing it might somehow trigger their fond childhood memories. wink

I LIKE THAT ABOUT BRINGS BACK NOSTALGIA
i think ill figure a way to add about thinking more about cosplay about the creative process

smile it was all nicely said thank you

Shameless Hoarder

12,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
Link Chosen Hero Of Time
Naramaru

Im sorry you dont like it and i hate stating it . My main point and maybe ill re word it in my post is that eyes are hated in arenas to a point because they are cheap and YES SADLY they are judged by that .....so if there is a better eye out there hold on save for it and use it. There has been plenty of times where one person places with an avatar ...then a few weeks later someone adds better eyes and maybe one other item and places higher and again because ...it is better

NOT SAYING SHOP EYES DONT WORK JUST SAYING THEY ARE HATED ON SO ITS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

I just don't want to encourage using expensive eyes all the time because it's not necessary most times. I've seen so many cosplays with expensive eyes that are just as innappropriate if not more so than the salon eyes. People are just up voting because it's popular and because the items are more expensive when it shouldn't be that way.

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you because I'm going to be using a really expensive pair of eyes because I think they're more appropriate for the characters I'm doing, but sometimes the expensive ones are not appropriate no matter which way you look at it. People are just using them because they're expensive and want better votes.

Skilled Knight

Naramaru
Link Chosen Hero Of Time
Naramaru

I just don't want to encourage using expensive eyes all the time because it's not necessary most times. I've seen so many cosplays with expensive eyes that are just as innappropriate if not more so than the salon eyes. People are just up voting because it's popular and because the items are more expensive when it shouldn't be that way.

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you because I'm going to be using a really expensive pair of eyes because I think they're more appropriate for the characters I'm doing, but sometimes the expensive ones are not appropriate no matter which way you look at it. People are just using them because they're expensive and want better votes.

the thing you really need to take away is
if there is a better eye out there hold on save for it and use it

Shameless Hoarder

12,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
Link Chosen Hero Of Time
Naramaru
Link Chosen Hero Of Time
Naramaru

the thing you really need to take away is
if there is a better eye out there hold on save for it and use it

I understand that, but it's not always necessary is what I'm trying to say... also all the bolding and capitalizing just makes you sound angry and kind of rude =/ Tone it down a bit yeah?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff