Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you base most of your ratings on in the Cosplay Arenas?

Reference Image 0.14705882352941 14.7% [ 10 ]
Gender 0.029411764705882 2.9% [ 2 ]
Skin Color 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Eye Color/Style 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Other 0.073529411764706 7.4% [ 5 ]
All of the Above 0.75 75.0% [ 51 ]
Total Votes:[ 68 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 21 22 > >>

8,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
So there are unwritten rules for cosplay avatars. I want your input on what you think they are. (And by rules, I mean general things certain people do that make them winners and allow them to get into the winners circle.)

Here's my list:
-Reference Image. If it doesn't have it, I generally don't know how to rate or how to tell a person how to improve. My question to you guys is does it matter if the avatar has to match the ref to a "T". i.e., if the avatar is kneeling/standing, background, day/night, props, etc.
-Gender. Whereas in the real world, you cannot change your gender for a cosplay, in a virtual world, you should. Certain exceptions for this I think are if the male character is lanky or the female character is muscled/bulky.
-Eye color. Again, like the gender. Yes, real world, you can buy contacts, but certain people (like myself) can't stand them. So yes, eye color is important on a virtual cosplay.
-Skin color. Once again, like the gender, in the real world, you cannot change your skin color for a cosplay, in a virtual world, you should.

Discuss? C:

[EDIT] Below are rules we have gathered and agreed upon.
Rules for Cosplay Arenas:
1.) Reference image is required in the cosplay arenas.
1A.) When you are using your ref, match it. Colors vary depending on scenes (i.e. Jessica Rabbit's gloves are portrayed as both purple and blue, depending what picture you use). Sometimes, that's all the voters has to go off of when giving you a vote.
1B.) If you are cosplaying a character from a novel, don't write about the novel. Write about the character you are cosplaying. By that, we mean give us a physical description of the character so we can imagine what you were trying to portray. If you can, grab the novel and take the description from it and put it in your description.
2.) Etiquette. No yelling, cursing, etc. at the voters that leave comments.
3.) Know how to take constructive criticism.
4.) Description. Write us something so we know about the character or the items that you used so there's no questioning in the comments.
5.) Know your location.
5A.) If you do any sort of variation of a character that was not designed by the creator of the character, it belongs in the original arena because it's your original idea.
5B.) If you do any avatar that is "based off" the character, that no longer makes it a cosplay. (Like 5A.)
5C.) If you do a "generic" avatar that anyone can pull off (i.e. Grim Reaper, Greek God/Goddess, etc.) please base your avatar off the reference image that you provide. If you do not use a picture, it belongs in the original arenas.
6.) Creativity gives you more points.
6A.) Don't use a set. Sets are highly frowned upon by pretty much every voter. Go to the Avatar Talk forum for assistance.
6B.) If you are to cosplay an over-cosplayed character (i.e. Link, Zelda, Sailor Moon), try to make it unique. Act out a scene, experiment with different items on tektek.org, go to the Avatar Talk forum for item help.
6C.) If you are creative with a cosplay, make sure a reference image can back it up. If it can't, it shouldn't be cosplayed (see 5A).

Shameless Hoarder

12,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
Reference images are a must. Unless they are cosplaying a book character, then at least a detailed description of the character is nice. If you can make me believe that what the character looks like, then good on you. Also, I'm a nitpicker when it comes to matching the reference completely. If you throw up a picture of a character from one scene and your cosplaying another, where in they look completely different... yeah, I'm going to down vote you.
You better be near as perfect as Gaia can get.

Gender is iffy. I agree that if you're cosplaying a male that is very skinny or a child, then yes, use the female base. But if you're cosplaying as adult Goku, then you better have that male base.

I never understood why people don't change skin, eye and hair color. It's usually pretty cheap and if you can't afford it at the time, save your 10k, do some booty grab, posting, etc. and submit another week. It's not like the arena is going anywhere, anytime soon.

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Naramaru
Reference images are a must. Unless they are cosplaying a book character, then at least a detailed description of the character is nice. If you can make me believe that what the character looks like, then good on you. Also, I'm a nitpicker when it comes to matching the reference completely. If you throw up a picture of a character from one scene and your cosplaying another, where in they look completely different... yeah, I'm going to down vote you.
You better be near as perfect as Gaia can get.

Gender is iffy. I agree that if you're cosplaying a male that is very skinny or a child, then yes, use the female base. But if you're cosplaying as adult Goku, then you better have that male base.

I never understood why people don't change skin, eye and hair color. It's usually pretty cheap and if you can't afford it at the time, save your 10k, do some booty grab, posting, etc. and submit another week. It's not like the arena is going anywhere, anytime soon.

I agree! I usually tell novel cosplayers to grab the book and take the description directly from the book itself if they can.

And I agree with the skin/hair/eyes. Like seriously, if you can afford the 10k entry fee, you can afford even a skin and eye change -_-;

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
I see your comments on the arena a lot and usually agree with you, what makes me laugh is the white knights who trot along to defend a terrible cosplay ...

It's a contest, if you can't take people telling you what's wrong then leave.

8,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Pilotslover
I see your comments on the arena a lot and usually agree with you, what makes me laugh is the white knights who trot along to defend a terrible cosplay ...

Ah yes. I know of a "white knight" that tries to defend others, but then they don't allow comments on their own. Or, the nooblets that defend and have been on Gaia for a week. They make me laugh too smile

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
OHS-Fujioka_Haruhi-
Ah yes. I know of a "white knight" that tries to defend others, but then they don't allow comments on their own. Or, the nooblets that defend and have been on Gaia for a week. They make me laugh too smile

I think I know who you mean ...

There seem to have been a lot of nooblets lately.

8,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Pilotslover
OHS-Fujioka_Haruhi-

I think I know who you mean ...

There seem to have been a lot of nooblets lately.

Yeah...

Either they're actually nooblets, or mules created by the artists...mules can be mean so the artist don't get downvoted.

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
crying

What is with all the misplaced entries this week? Can people just not read?
And so many without references, to make it WORSE their white knights are banging on about how they're not important.

Friendly Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
I do think that having a reference is extremely important. If you don't have one, you probably shouldn't cosplay. That includes book characters, because there are a lot of people who don't read the descriptions and flame you for not having a reference anyway. (On the subject of book characters, everyone pictures words differently, so your interpretation might be waaay off from someone else's, which could cause a bad vote.)

One huge rule that I think potential cosplayers should note is that, with eyes, less is more. The arena commenters are not particularly fond of sparkly eyes, so you should avoid using the "magic" eyes as well as the Mana Seed ones. You should go for a more subtle, plain looking eye that doesn't attract too much attention. Some people think that the sparkly ones are actually "creepy" -- I've had people tell me that about my Sailor Venus cosplay.

Another thing I'm finding is that, if the character is overdone, it doesn't matter which way you try to explain yourself: it's overdone. You're not going to get very good ratings if you're doing a character that everyone has seen before, because everyone is bored of it. I know it's really hard to cosplay lesser known characters, especially when Gaia has items that cater to more popular ones, but you should really try to do something different.

If you did something to the character to make it significantly different from the original, it should probably go in the original arena. Human versions of animal characters, or public domain characters with "[your] own personal spin" are examples of this.

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Pilotslover

The white knight this week is pissing me off...

Friendly Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
The only time I ever white knighted was when someone made a very dramatic show out of yelling at a person for a bad cosplay. I honestly thought that they were taking a Gaia cosplay waaay too seriously, so I said something. :I They didn't even say what was wrong with it, either, they just had a hissy fit.

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Panda Berry In Space
The only time I ever white knighted was when someone made a very dramatic show out of yelling at a person for a bad cosplay. I honestly thought that they were taking a Gaia cosplay waaay too seriously, so I said something. :I They didn't even say what was wrong with it, either, they just had a hissy fit.
I'm white knighting the aura cosplay who's picture is in the description. Honestly, when they can't get it to work in the URL slot, the best thing to do is put the link in the description. apparently, c/p-ing a link is still too much trouble. I don't mind that. I DO mind having to go to google myself and search for an image.

Friendly Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
IIDarknessChosenII
I'm white knighting the aura cosplay who's picture is in the description. Honestly, when they can't get it to work in the URL slot, the best thing to do is put the link in the description. apparently, c/p-ing a link is still too much trouble. I don't mind that. I DO mind having to go to google myself and search for an image.

Yeah, I can understand that. What site were they trying to link from? I know that I once tried to submit something to the art arena from deviantART, and it was broken. Maybe someone should compile a list of sites that the links don't work for.

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
IIDarknessChosenII
Pilotslover

The white knight this week is pissing me off...

White knighting should be reportable in the arenas, it's a contest after all.

8,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Pilotslover
crying

What is with all the misplaced entries this week? Can people just not read?
And so many without references, to make it WORSE their white knights are banging on about how they're not important.
I have NOOOOOO CLUE! It's rather annoying :/

The one that's going around screaming "you guys are sooo mean" is pissing me off. And she's like "you don't have to be so mean haruhi"

Honestly, in my opinion, the arenas is the only serious place on Gaia. If you want to show off your avatar for fun, go to the avatar talk forum.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff