Though I know that the zOMG Summons were meant to stay in the zOMG environment, is there any chance they might make their way into the general Gaia space as companions that we can display with our avatars?
I have 3 OMG Summons and I would love it if I could simply display one of them in their default pose next to my avatar in the forums.
Also, thank you for giving us the Easter event in zOMG. 3nodding
I'm guessing not, although nothing's out of the realm of possibility.
And you're welcome. I'm glad we were able to at least do something.
My praying mantis Lazarus would like to know why making pixel wings requires so much more effort than producing real ones? He only has to eat bugs to gain exp for his and there are a variety of paths he can take to reach them depending on what insects he chooses to om-nom. Most mantis also only need to reach L6-L8 before they get their fullsize set. All nymphs are guarantied the starting formula at birth and he wants me to note his wings are animated, plus he can actually fly with them.
Well that was weird, I accidentally deleted my own post! Re-posting:
I have nothing to bring to the table except repetitive nudges towards:
1) non-competitive avatar arenas (public avatar gallery without having to enter the contest part of the arenas)
2) re-evaluation of <3/</3 system
3) static pose for zOMG summon buddies since it looks like they're not going to get any in-game functions
biggrin That is all. This post doesn't need a reply...
Hope you all enjoyed the easter weekend!
We are not actively working on all three of these, but I can comment on 1 and 2 because we did talk about it recently. These are just my personal observations.
1) One of the ideas that was kicked around was .. basically a vote-up for avatars. Although we actually were initially thinking about it in terms of a leaderboard so it still was competitive. We did think there was some value in letting people vote-up avatars though - sort of a <3 button that would make the avatar owner feel warm and fuzzy. It could go into a gallery but I suspect the best way to display it would be by number of votes. Or rather a "rank" which is just a more sophisticated voting system that has some decay, etc. Out of the recent ideas we reviewed that one made it to the list of things we want to explore but won't be working on immediately.
2) The concern with <3/</3 is understandable. A lot of times a positive-only feedback (like button) is the best way to go because people can't grief others with the negative vote. The thinking was this: In the context of a forum thread, if we only looked at up-votes, it would essentially be a popularity contest. A thread could potentially be very good but not have a very good score because it doesn't have a lot of visibility. That's the purpose of the down-vote - to control for visibility.
With that said, I think it could be better. If we did not show the number of votes and instead just showed a "rank", the negative feedback mechanism would be abstracted and therefore less fruitful for the troll. We could also potentially remove the down-vote, but we would need to come up with another way to control for visibility - possibly by counting the number of views.
So again, these are sort of on our radar but not being actively pursued as projects. I just thought I'd share.
1) Avatar ranking seems like a hassle though, some people just want a place to store avatars in a public gallery so they can show it off to friends, without putting the avatar into any sort of ranking system. Instead of having a place to show people their avatars, they save screenshots of their avatars (or tekteks) to their journals, random threads, etc.....why not give people a space/place to do this on an official Gaia page? It would be used by a lot of people I think. It might even re-direct a lot of new traffic to the arenas page if ones gallery were hosted in the same area (but still separate, like how Original and Cosplay arenas are separate.
2) If the purpose for </3 is to control for visibility I think that's not a really good purpose to have a </3 button. As it is, people rarely <3 a thread unless it is custom to or the OP asks for <3's, so unless someone has 100 mules and <3's all their threads I don't think there will be much problem with popular status. Popular threads will be eventually gain popular thread status though regardless of </3's, at least in forums outside of SF, because if one wants their thread to have popular status, one will simply gain the necessary votes by asking nice people. So as it is, IMO </3 does not really do much by the way of controlling visibility, at least for threads outside of SF. Getting 100+ people to <3 a thread is a really tough feat, you know? And even in SF I think most people gauge popularity/importance of an issue by page views numbers more so than by <3/</3 (unless we're talking about "like" popularity of a thread...but even then, in SF, the popular status of an idea is pretty much a no-brainer).
But that is really cool you are thinking about alternatives and WOOO!! Yes, it could be better. Those are some good ideas and I hope an idea shines out of the ones you have that works well for the community, that could have good potential as a project to work on. biggrin
Thanks for the reply
Alight, fair enough. I agree with some points but not others. Ranking is a pretty deep topic and I don't pretend to be an expert. It seems to work differently in different communities and it really takes a good deal of exploration to find something that works. Thanks for the input.
Yeah it works differently in different places...which is so confusing when you try to evaluate what <3/</3 means for a thread, because it's hugely ambiguous symbol so people are all going to use it in different ways, appropriately or inappropriately...
Also, I find myself having more to say about the "vote up" for avatars thing...
I was reading again on what you said about Avatars ranking and honestly -and this doesn't really have much to do with the ideas you mentioned for Avatars, so if it feels like I'm shooting down the idea, it's not because it's bad - it's just not the type of stuff I'd be interested to see...personally (and IDK if the majority of people also want this), I just want to see a place where people can store past avatars in a gallery, so they can have a place where they can share past avatars (they've made with items they owned...not tekteks) with friends. I only have like 116 or so cookies in a spring clean thread, but this idea is mostly just a personal preference for a feature.
It would be nice for once to get a feature where people can interact with it without an overhanging culture of being judged or a sense of elitism (good ratings) being important. Like with alchemy, there's elitism there ("alchemy is for rich people" ). With <3/</3 there's judgment there (good or bad). With the avatar ranking system that was mentioned in your post, I can see elitism/judgment there. With the art shops idea proposed in Lanky's thread and the Forum Wars proposal, there's potential for judgement/elitism there. Some people just want to get away from that overhanging presence of being judged when they interact with a Gaia feature. It would be a nice break to get a feature where the feature functions without self-egoism via outside judgment involved (although i realize alchemy doesn't necessarily bring in outside judgment). ;D
These are just my thoughts/feelings...no need for a response. and again thanks for reading
Ha Ha! I'm responding anyway! Yeah I misunderstood your first comment about an avatar gallery. Sorry, was distracted by nerf darts and other flying objects/people. I get what you're saying about the context of being judged in all spaces. Will keep it in mind. Thanks for the feedback.