Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Bloodsucker

uguuu i hate trying to sell of items.
The Raving Madame
uguuu i hate trying to sell of items.

It is a necessary pain in the bottom. :< One that I am shortly going to have to do.

I do NOT have 6.5 mill gold anymore. I am just too lazy to update my thread.

Anxious Bloodsucker

LOOOOL i have 150k OTL
i'm just trying to sell off an about 500k item so i can get this one doll for the face it has.

Savage Kitten

Would you like to commission me?
Examples of my manly man drawings: Sketchy, another sketch, BnW, another BnW and another but less manly face. (Have a browse in my DA for other examples ^^)
Pm me for more info owo
The Raving Madame
LOOOOL i have 150k OTL
i'm just trying to sell off an about 500k item so i can get this one doll for the face it has.

Ohman. What about your art commissions?
Achy Shopkeeper
Would you like to commission me?
Examples of my manly man drawings: Sketchy, another sketch, BnW, another BnW and another but less manly face. (Have a browse in my DA for other examples ^^)
Pm me for more info owo

I can't actually purchase any more RL commissions until May, as I have no extra funds for art at the mo.

If you were interested in accepted gold, then I'd be happy to commission you. c: I had a peak at your shops too.
I think I'm going to change Armin & Duss' stat 'pages' around a bit.

I've been unhappy with their organization for a while. They need an overhaul.

Bilge rat

Ici Chiot

That happens some times... I'm thinking about starting semi-fresh with my whole thread. :3 But not until I can figure out what I want it to look like...
Shestval
Ici Chiot

That happens some times... I'm thinking about starting semi-fresh with my whole thread. :3 But not until I can figure out what I want it to look like...

I've been reworking Dussander's. It's so much more organized like this.

But it will make me dig up Armin's desc as well. Which is gods-knows-where-somewhere.

I want to add some world/occupation/history stuff as well.

... and write a small disclaimer-thingy. Mostly about Dussander's nose.

Bilge rat

Ooooh yes, that is much more organized. :3

Watch out for getting too wordy, though. As an artist, even if I'm interested in a character, I'm not likely to read a bunch of info that doesn't help me draw a picture. You can HAVE the extra info, but make it easy to skip if possible (like at the bottom of the page or something).

If your commissioning writing then I guess the writer would need all information possible, though. xD So I guess take my advice with a grain of salt.

I've just noticed that if I'm handed a really long character bio for a commission, in can get annoying finding the useful information.
Shestval
Ooooh yes, that is much more organized. :3

Watch out for getting too wordy, though. As an artist, even if I'm interested in a character, I'm not likely to read a bunch of info that doesn't help me draw a picture. You can HAVE the extra info, but make it easy to skip if possible (like at the bottom of the page or something).

If your commissioning writing then I guess the writer would need all information possible, though. xD So I guess take my advice with a grain of salt.

I've just noticed that if I'm handed a really long character bio for a commission, in can get annoying finding the useful information.

Yeeks. Alrighty. Perhaps I'll take out the big wordy chunks, or stuff them in the last post under 'other.'

I did want to mention in the very first post that the only required reading was the stat-point physical section.

But I think you're right. I'll put those paragraphs at the bottom.

I don't plan on commissioning writing. I get all funky thinking about someone else handling my characters. D^:

Thanks for the tip!

Bilge rat

Haha, I've run into a fair number of artists on Gaia who get pissed off if you post ANYTHING OTHER THAN PURE PICTURE REFs. That's usually a no-go for me, but I can definitely understand not wanting to wade through tons of info to find what you are looking for as an artist, especially if a million people just posted in your shop.

This is the sort of info that I like to have available easily:

Stat things, like hair-color, eye-color, skintone, height, weight, body type, etc. Identifying features. But also keep those features to the really distinctive ones. If the character has scars, think what would be visible from 5 feet away (unless they are FACIAL scars, which you can get more specific with). With tattoos, consider how complex they are and how they miiiight be a turn-off for artists. (I think you're fine in this area, I'm just brainstorming.)

Real basic personality, so that you don't get a picture of a very serious character with a huge grin on his face. Having some really simple emotions that work for the character can be helpful: "always smiling," "usually seriously," "creepy grin," etc. This gives an artist a baseline to think about. And your top refs should try to express that emotion. (Pfft I'm not great about this myself, but I think it's good general advice.)

Clothes. Pet peeve time: when commissioners have a microscopically specific outfit picked out for their character. It's often usually really detailed, too. I can understand with uniforms, but otherwise ugh. (You don't have this problem.) Real people change their clothes. Still, try to have a default outfit. Also, the outfit your characters are wearing in their refs will be drawn as the most.

Other stuff, posture of the character, general setting (mine is magepunky nautical, yours is zombie sci-fi, etc...) or fandom, relationships to other characters/couple info... that sort of thing. Things that can effect a drawing but aren't really necessary. As an artist, I usually ask for this stuff if I feel I need it.

Unless I forgot anything, I think that's the important stuff. :3

Oh, and trim down your refs to only the best representations of the character (not necessarily the best picture! I've got some awesome pictures that don't quite have the character). If a ref is ALMOST perfect, mention what is slightly off. (I get a lot of art of Dieder where he is way too buff. But if his face is good, then I'll still use it as a ref. His face is more important to me anyway.) You can have a gallery, but put it at the bottom or something with the best refs easier to find.

THIS IS ALL JUST MY OPINIONS ON THE MATTER, THOUGH. I ended up writing this post like I'm writing a guide, so yeah. XD It got kinda general.
Shestval

This is actually incredibly helpful... even if lots of the information is general.

I tried to pick my favorite refs (that don't have Duss in his old uniform) for the post-art. I'll add to the first post my favorite/most accurate refs. And I understand about some things being fantastic or off in a picture. The ref I use for Duss' nose is not how I picture Duss at all... apart from the nose. That nose is gorram spot on.

FAGGY CHAN did up a scribble of Duss' scars + tat for me, and I've added that to his stats... this is helpful, yes?

Now I'm practically asking for a critique, but... Is this system I have for personality points sufficient? I plopped a few keywords in the first post + the virtue/vice hoo-ha in his actual stats. Does this help you, as an artist, or was this sub par?

I'm not worried about the clothes bit at all. Military Uniform + lots of green sweater stuff + other options if you want something different. I agree with your pet peeve. This is one of the reasons I don't watch anime as much as I used to. Those people must be so smelly by now.

And I'll add world info / setting shiz in the 'other' section, for artists that fancy that stuff.

<3 You absolutely rock, Shestval.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces