Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
tsunderoid

Ms Spook
Anime and Manga....It got me into drawing back in the day but i've come to resent it greatly...I see it in everything I draw. It's such a handicap I feel like crying. gonk

God, I feel you. I became addicted to anime at a young age and growing up and realizing I have to unlearn all of it and start over is horrifically daunting. I wish I could save other young artists from the same fate.

And that's the exact point this thread is going by. Which I love. If you learn anime right off...your mind registers it as basic skills. And that's all you'll be able to draw.

It's SO DAMN HARD to retrain your brain after nothing but animu crap for years. So I tell everyone I meet to learn the basics. And I get a lot of reactions just like this thread.

I suppose I would have acted the same way when I was 12 and obsessed. Can't really blame them.
I started out with anime too, but I'm so glad that I got out of that rut and tried drawing people I knew and well.. real stuff. Now I have a decent ability to draw anything I want, and I can use the basic skills I got from drawing real stuff to anything I want.

If you're new to art, please, save yourself the trouble years on later and draw what you see in life, not on a tv or computer screen. heart
tsunderoid
The point here is that drawing manga is cool and all, but if you want to be a professional artist and truly know how to draw you need to stop trying to learn by doing the artistic equivalent of a game of telephone that already starts off as schizophrenic word salad. Copying a copy of a copy of a simplified, shortcut, symbolic portrayal of reality will look neither real nor alive nor unique. If you just want to do that forever because you don't care about pursuing art as a career or anything that's cool but the same approach will not get you into an art school or get you a job as an illustrator or anything like that.

This is the entire damn point in a ******** nutshell.

Do you mind if I kindap this short and sweet quote and repost it over and over and over again, whenever some idiot pops up and bawwwws about animes or whenever I feel it's appropriate?

Because ********, this is one awesome quote.

Awesome.

Familiar Gaian

6,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
tsunderoid
Sekushino

Nobody is the same. That goes double when it comes to artists. Every artist will end up developing his/her own style through a path that suits them; whether it be following "anime" (Which I would once again like to correct for you, *manga), life drawing, photorealism, etc. People will draw what's comfortable for them at the moment. Some artists like to branch off into different styles to improve their all-around talents, and hey, that's great. Most of the time, that'll help you in the long run. But you shouldn't berate others for following their own path (Which wasn't the intention of the thread, I get that.) or say that your preferred path is the ONLY one.

The point here is that drawing manga is cool and all, but if you want to be a professional artist and truly know how to draw you need to stop trying to learn by doing the artistic equivalent of a game of telephone that already starts off as schizophrenic word salad. Copying a copy of a copy of a simplified, shortcut, symbolic portrayal of reality will look neither real nor alive nor unique. If you just want to do that forever because you don't care about pursuing art as a career or anything that's cool but the same approach will not get you into an art school or get you a job as an illustrator or anything like that.

edit:

Ms Spook
Anime and Manga....It got me into drawing back in the day but i've come to resent it greatly...I see it in everything I draw. It's such a handicap I feel like crying. gonk

God, I feel you. I became addicted to anime at a young age and growing up and realizing I have to unlearn all of it and start over is horrifically daunting. I wish I could save other young artists from the same fate.

My point apparently went completely over your head.
You can still get a job drawing strictly manga, should you choose to pursue that career. I'm just saying that.
Sekushino
tsunderoid
Sekushino

Nobody is the same. That goes double when it comes to artists. Every artist will end up developing his/her own style through a path that suits them; whether it be following "anime" (Which I would once again like to correct for you, *manga), life drawing, photorealism, etc. People will draw what's comfortable for them at the moment. Some artists like to branch off into different styles to improve their all-around talents, and hey, that's great. Most of the time, that'll help you in the long run. But you shouldn't berate others for following their own path (Which wasn't the intention of the thread, I get that.) or say that your preferred path is the ONLY one.

edit:

Ms Spook

You can still get a job drawing strictly manga, should you choose to pursue that career. I'm just saying that.

....Haha.

Must be a great job, with expectations so damn low.

Familiar Gaian

6,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
Arvehz
Sekushino
tsunderoid
Sekushino

edit:

Ms Spook

....Haha.

That rude manner is uncalled for.
Responses like the one above are the reason this thread flew out of hand. :/

Toothsome Carnivore

9,350 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
But if I don't want to become a proffesional artist or draw for any other reason then to have fun then using the manga style is all fine and dandy, right? wink

I have a feeling that I messed up this sentence. Please, forgive me ,for I am a foreigner

Familiar Gaian

6,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
Kociambelka
But if I don't want to become a proffesional artist or draw for any other reason then to have fun then using the manga style is all fine and dandy, right? wink

I have a feeling that I messed up this sentence. Please, forgive me ,for I am a foreigner

To be quite honest, you can do whatever you damn well please when it comes to art, lol. I'm a strict believer that all art is beautiful in some way.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Kociambelka

Yes, but be prepared for dislikers if you post it.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Sekushino
Kociambelka

To be quite honest, you can do whatever you damn well please when it comes to art, lol. I'm a strict believer that all art is beautiful in some way.

You're one of a minority who thinks everything is beautiful in some way.

Personally I think a lot of stuff is art, just most of it is crap. You can do what you please, sure, but if you actually want to improve, as a hobby or a career, you've gotta do certain things to get there.

Toothsome Carnivore

9,350 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Kociambelka

Yes, but be prepared for dislikers if you post it.

Ah yes, true. But as long as I contain my posting to my semi-private livejournal everything's ok wink
Truth to be told I rarely see any bashing on manga art o.o;;

5,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
Sekushino

For every low-paying manga job there are hundreds of wannabees you're competing with. If you aren't 1) Japanese, and 2) skilled, what chance do you think you have of getting it? Same goes for comic jobs in the states. Unless, of course, you luck out like Katy Coope, and become the next joke of the internet by ripping off kids with badly drawn tutorials. However, this thread is for people that do want to excel, and do want to eventually produce quality art.
Sekushino
Arvehz
Sekushino
tsunderoid
Sekushino

edit:

Ms Spook

....Haha.

That rude manner is uncalled for.
Responses like the one above are the reason this thread flew out of hand. :/

But it never flew out of hand? It has always been just as correct and beautiful. The fact that it attracts clueless weebs on a regular basis is a part of its unique charm and nothing unusual.

Also since when such blatantly half-assed sarcasm is rude.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Sekushino

No. Your point didn't go over our heads. Obviously you've never been in a professional art setting. The only country you will have a chance at a decent career on strictly Manga and anime is Japan. And do you realize how many people there want that job? Not including western fans.

Having an American job or European strictly with Manga is next to impossible.
Arvehz

Do you mind if I kindap this short and sweet quote and repost it over and over and over again, whenever some idiot pops up and bawwwws about animes or whenever I feel it's appropriate?

Because ********, this is one awesome quote.

Awesome.

Not at all!

Sekushino

No. Your point is that you can get a well-rounded art education -- the kind needed to draw manga fluently, manga that looks right and is dynamic and that can be consistently drawn at any angle, any pose, from any perspective -- from watching anime. This is not true. You will end up with a derivative style that you can only draw in ways you've already seen it because you don't know how real human bodies work.

Also, I hope you're talking about getting a job drawing "English language manga". Because I hate to tell you this, but Japan does not want Western people drawing manga in their country. You will not get a job drawing actual manga in Japan if you are not Japanese.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff