Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
ShiniSnowDemon
uh and i just got a new book too.... no way i`m burning them though... i`m in canada and i never see stuff like that (i dont even have a fireplace....) i`ll avoid anime when i can for art projects and stuff from now on but i have no idea what i plan on doing in the future, it`s evolved so much i wouldn`t be suprized if i didn`t care about art in like 10 years.... as of now it`s a hobby and past time, and even though it`s amature-ish alot of people like my art, that`s good enough for me right now, even though i`m not great i have a friend wanting a pic, another friend wanting me to digitaly color a pic, and my family wanting pics

also, faces do creep me out =_= especialy my own, and it`s not just the drawing, it`s the looking too, i might do terrible in my tech project cuz our face needs to be the focus yet i have it hidden behind another pic...

it also doesn`t help that i feel both less mature then the rest of my grade but also more in a way, in the middle of a big "descusion" about something off topic or durring a time of chaos, i feel like the only mature person in the room, then again i act like 3-4 years younger then i am, but i also hear that everyone else just acts like their 20 so maybe i act about right....
anyway being stuck with the high school courses is annoying... i wanna move on and do something better, why cant you skip grades in canada?! Dx i wanna take some test thing and see if i can skip a few grades cuz of how much i know(math i might be higher =w= ), or take classes that take only a week to get to a big test rather then spend a month working on something before a test... some classes move way to slow... 4+ weeks to read macbeth, THE COMIC BOOK....... my friend read, and finished, a book we were gonna read for english, before the rest of the class even started! plus like 3 other books!
i`ve also been told i`m very smart yet i have trouble showing it.... i do like those science channels =w=

I'm from Canada too! Woo! MAPLE LEAVES ARE AWESOME.

I'm not *actually* condoning book burning. I'm just pointing out how bad they are.
Keep in mind, while you may not want to know what you want from art now, it will suck if you end up wanting to take the serious root and aren't able to. Your friends and family will still want your work; chances are, they don't like it (well, maybe your friends do), but they love you and want to encourage it--trust me, my mum would say things like "oh you could sell that," then when I finally got her to give me actual crit, she went on this whole rampage about the piece she said she'd buy; parents aren't reliable sources. The reliable resources are strangers. They'll generally tell you the truth; these are the people you should aim to please (although, you should always aim to please yourself first and foremost).
You don't have to graduate high school to take some art classes; see if there's a local college or community college offering life drawing classes or something. Some are for youth, up until 18, some are for adults (the class I attended was open for 16 and up as 'adult' though) Do it over the summer, or as an after school or weekend thing.

Hilarious Guildswoman

8,100 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
x_Silver_Starlight_x
ShiniSnowDemon
uh and i just got a new book too.... no way i`m burning them though... i`m in canada and i never see stuff like that (i dont even have a fireplace....) i`ll avoid anime when i can for art projects and stuff from now on but i have no idea what i plan on doing in the future, it`s evolved so much i wouldn`t be suprized if i didn`t care about art in like 10 years.... as of now it`s a hobby and past time, and even though it`s amature-ish alot of people like my art, that`s good enough for me right now, even though i`m not great i have a friend wanting a pic, another friend wanting me to digitaly color a pic, and my family wanting pics

also, faces do creep me out =_= especialy my own, and it`s not just the drawing, it`s the looking too, i might do terrible in my tech project cuz our face needs to be the focus yet i have it hidden behind another pic...

it also doesn`t help that i feel both less mature then the rest of my grade but also more in a way, in the middle of a big "descusion" about something off topic or durring a time of chaos, i feel like the only mature person in the room, then again i act like 3-4 years younger then i am, but i also hear that everyone else just acts like their 20 so maybe i act about right....
anyway being stuck with the high school courses is annoying... i wanna move on and do something better, why cant you skip grades in canada?! Dx i wanna take some test thing and see if i can skip a few grades cuz of how much i know(math i might be higher =w= ), or take classes that take only a week to get to a big test rather then spend a month working on something before a test... some classes move way to slow... 4+ weeks to read macbeth, THE COMIC BOOK....... my friend read, and finished, a book we were gonna read for english, before the rest of the class even started! plus like 3 other books!
i`ve also been told i`m very smart yet i have trouble showing it.... i do like those science channels =w=

I'm not *actually* condoning book burning. I'm just pointing out how bad they are.
Keep in mind, while you may not want to know what you want from art now, it will suck if you end up wanting to take the serious root and aren't able to. Your friends and family will still want your work; chances are, they don't like it (well, maybe your friends do), but they love you and want to encourage it--trust me, my mum would say things like "oh you could sell that," then when I finally got her to give me actual crit, she went on this whole rampage about the piece she said she'd buy; parents aren't reliable sources. The reliable resources are strangers. They'll generally tell you the truth; these are the people you should aim to please (although, you should always aim to please yourself first and foremost).
You don't have to graduate high school to take some art classes; see if there's a local college or community college offering life drawing classes or something. Some are for youth, up until 18, some are for adults (the class I attended was open for 16 and up as 'adult' though) Do it over the summer, or as an after school or weekend thing.

that also makes a point... i know myself quite a bit and i know that i can be unpridictable.... and my one friend i have no idea if she`s a good resourse or not =/ she always said she hated my art, but she said says she does that cuz she knows it bugs me, and now she`s wanting me to draw a pic... it`ll be hard to stop with the anime, it`s like i`m still a kid, just gotten into it and everything`s about it, a year ago if i tried to draw a person it`d look so bad i couldnt stand to look at it! but a single tutorial changed that... i`ve been drawing chibi for less then a year =/ i haven`t gotten tired of it yet, but then again its a good time to stop before it effects me too much

still as of now drawing chibi is my hobby, even then all i do is look at the images in the books and try to recreate them on paper while editing them to look like certain characters, that`s where i draw the best ones, i`ll stop bringing my books to school and fill my ipod with realistic pics i can work on insted, since i`m not always home and my cat wont wanna stay still.... for now chibi is all i can draw, and being very artistic i just have to draw my fanart Dx it`s also fail if i draw fanart from my own fancomic...(well me and a friend`s) i also still have to color our fancomic

i know i`m over thinking it again but i feel like i have to stop liking anime... i know i dont but for some reason i feel like that Dx i cant just drop it Q_Q i`ve been into anime shows for as long as i remember, plus i dont wanna stop liking it! sometimes an overactive mind is very annoying

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
ShiniSnowDemon
that also makes a point... i know myself quite a bit and i know that i can be unpridictable.... and my one friend i have no idea if she`s a good resourse or not =/ she always said she hated my art, but she said says she does that cuz she knows it bugs me, and now she`s wanting me to draw a pic... it`ll be hard to stop with the anime, it`s like i`m still a kid, just gotten into it and everything`s about it, a year ago if i tried to draw a person it`d look so bad i couldnt stand to look at it! but a single tutorial changed that... i`ve been drawing chibi for less then a year =/ i haven`t gotten tired of it yet, but then again its a good time to stop before it effects me too much

still as of now drawing chibi is my hobby, even then all i do is look at the images in the books and try to recreate them on paper while editing them to look like certain characters, that`s where i draw the best ones, i`ll stop bringing my books to school and fill my ipod with realistic pics i can work on insted, since i`m not always home and my cat wont wanna stay still.... for now chibi is all i can draw, and being very artistic i just have to draw my fanart Dx it`s also fail if i draw fanart from my own fancomic...(well me and a friend`s) i also still have to color our fancomic

i know i`m over thinking it again but i feel like i have to stop liking anime... i know i dont but for some reason i feel like that Dx i cant just drop it Q_Q i`ve been into anime shows for as long as i remember, plus i dont wanna stop liking it! sometimes an overactive mind is very annoying

You DO NOT have to stop liking anime. I adore a good anime, and even started an anime club in my community. It's just a matter of saying "I love anime, and I want to be really good at drawing it. So I need to practice the foundations and realism so that I can get that good." That's how most of your favourite anime/manga artists likely got as good as they did; they practised their foundations and got better over time, then they became inspired by other artists and developed their own styles.

So don't think of realism as "oh, I need to learn this because anime is bad." Think of it as "oh, I need to learn this so my anime will be good."

Leaf

Leaf Collector
NuMedia Millie
Leaf Collector
NuMedia Millie
Leaf Collector

I'm thinking of Pollock and Matisse mostly, but I think a lot of 20th century art is about self expression, and the process over the product.
It's the process part that interests me most. The expressiveness was simply the most accessible outlet to experiment with process. The personal narratives they wove and discussed are beautiful. The person I quoted earlier, whose definition I resent is discussing making work about being "happy" or "sad". It's general and non-specific. It's obvious and bland. It's not experiential like Rothko or Twombly. They thought just as much about how they make as what they are making things about.

I'll be honest, I have never heard of Twombly before. I was going to just quietly research him, but I felt like that was a little silly. I have never heard of him before, and yet I live next to an art museum.
What about Duchamp? He kind of had the "******** art" attitude. Dadaism in general was all about shitting on art history.
Twombly was good friends with Rauschenberg and Johns. Twombly relocated to Rome in the 50's. His work wasn't received well at the time he was making it and people still struggle over it. His work to most looks like a lot of scribbles but they really have to be seen in person. For whatever reason, his mark making strikes me as very beautiful.

Dada is interesting. On the surface its all humor and a "******** it" attitude but a lot of it rose from a sense of desperation after WWI. Futurism had gotten people excited for technology and war and destruction but it proved to be too much. If you were in Europe, you were affected by the War. Duchamp lost a brother. After seeing what had happened to the world, his reality he could not go back to painting pretty pictures. In world full of so much trouble how could anyone go back to painting pictures. So Duchamp started doing strange things to unwind and reground himself, try and wipe art history clean of itself so he could and others could start anew in this post-war world. Duchamp was a genius. No matter how much I hate him sometimes, he was a genius.

Well, that is just fantastic.
Do you know the name of that one artist who painted music because he could hear colors? I know it's a vague description, but it's been bothering me for a while, and you seem to know what you're talking about. He usually painted lots of lines and areas of color. Again, very vague, but I've completely forgotten his name and most everyone I know is either nuts about the Renaissance or is trying their best to forget art history existed.
Duchamp is one of my favorites. I remember when I lost my brother I really stopped caring about anything, but I realize Duchamp was in deeper than just a personal loss, but instead that the whole world seemed to be crumbling. And when at first I didn't understand his work, he is one of my favorites now.
Kandinsky. He was nuts but influenced a lot of people who went to do wonderful things.

Profitable Lover

8,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
NuMedia Millie
semen-eater
NuMedia Millie
semen-eater
Why don't you just draw what appeals to you, and ******** the rest of the world. That's art. That's how you make art.

There is no right way to do art, or wrong way to do art. It's a way of expressing feelings, it's something every human does, it won't come out the same. They're not cutting corners, they're doing what they enjoy as an individual. You don't need to learn s**t to make art. All you need is emotion. Whether it's intricate portraits with perfect shading and color, or stick figures. It's art. It's amazing. It's perfection.
you are wrong. You can ask any full time artist and they will tell you that you are wrong. Why would they say you are wrong? Because this is not the way people make work. No one wants to make work this way. It's unappealing. There are two ways the word "good" is used in art. The first is the way a finished product is, the way it exists, is it "good". If it feels good and only good then its probably great. "Good" can then also apply to the way an artist goes about making images or objects. Do they employ effective, interesting and thusly "good" methods of making art.
Making art is more complex than an out pouring of emotion and raw sub-conscious feelings. It COULD be that but it is not because no one wants it to be because when you do that, it does not feel "good". Even though the out pouring might be honest, that is all it is, honest. It needs to be more than that. You need to edit and censor yourself to create something effective that communicates a concrete idea, even if that concrete idea is something abstract.
There are few works of art that I would describe as perfect and they are most certainly not works that were a product of a purely, uninhibited, cathartic release of energy and emotion.
The way you think art is made and what is required to make good art are incorrect by the standards of any artist worth their salt because artists who make good art and have earned the title as artist have said so.

I'm glad you expressed your opinion.

But I'm glader that I expressed mine lol no opinion is wrong Dearie.
when it comes to making relevant and communicative art, yes, you are wrong. Don't act saccharine with me. I take what I do very seriously and I will not have it degraded by your lazy, hugs-and-kisses definition of what art is and how it is made.
Your opinion is wrong. If you do not want to accept that then you can promptly leave my AD because we talk about serious art making here, not what the masses think it should be.
And yes it is mine.

Alright sweetie pie c; no ones acting saccharine, you're just not getting the response you wanted.

it's part of being a b***h.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
semen-eater
Alright sweetie pie c; no ones acting saccharine, you're just not getting the response you wanted.

No, you're just a sheltered little snowflake who thinks that there is no such thing as wrong opinions and that everyone is unique and special in their own way so there's no wrong way to make art.

Basically you're clueless and full of s**t.

Profitable Lover

8,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Fansub
semen-eater

No, you're just a sheltered little snowflake who thinks that there is no such thing as wrong opinions and that everyone is unique and special in their own way so there's no wrong way to make art.

Is that so? You're talking to an ex meth addict here. Sheltered? I'm probably older then you. I dont think there is no such thing as wrong opinions, I never even said that, I said opinions are meant to be shared. And that I don't give a ******** if anyone says different, freedom of speech, if you can voice your opinion supporting the subject, then I can voice my opinion against the subject, it's a public forum on the internet, I can say whatever I want, be as annoying as I want, and be a nuisence as much as i want.

Edit:: When I say "No such thing as a wrong opinion" I mean in their mind. Considering it's how the speaker feels, to them they are not wrong.

To others they are wrong, you seemed to have either read it wrong, or recieved the message wrong.

Leaf

semen-eater
Fansub
semen-eater

Is that so? You're talking to an ex meth addict here. Sheltered? I'm probably older then you. I dont think there is no such thing as wrong opinions, I never even said that, I said opinions are meant to be shared. And that I don't give a ******** if anyone says different, freedom of speech, if you can voice your opinion supporting the subject, then I can voice my opinion against the subject, it's a public forum on the internet, I can say whatever I want, be as annoying as I want, and be a nuisence as much as i want.

Edit:: When I say "No such thing as a wrong opinion" I mean in their mind. Considering it's how the speaker feels, to them they are not wrong.

To others they are wrong, you seemed to have either read it wrong, or recieved the message wrong.
we are only saying that, in your head, you are wrong and that it should be corrected. It's an awful thing to be wrong darling.
its funny because now that i think about it, i tried drawing in a manga style when i was younger. i was always embarrassed about it because i showed someone once and they didnt take it seriously. it sent my art in a downward spiral and i got really upset because i just wasnt improving. after a few years, i was reading a comic book (so this isnt the greatest example, since comics are super stylized, but the artist has some really realistic work) and i got to thinking "i can do that" since it was simple and clean cut. after a few attempts, i came up with something i didnt mind showing off, and i was back into drawing again. any more now i still have trouble on faces, since i learned off of comics, and i know that, but since i know where i got it from, im building in realism now, and i know where to look to find inspiration for stylization

Tipsy Lunatic

9,100 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Invisibility 100
Damn, the article was harsh! xD

But yea, I'm gonna start at square one because I've always been drawing anime, but now that I'm old people don't wanna see it. But its gonna be a drag because I really hate how realism looks... But that's coming from someone who likes realistic anime. (Weird, I know)

That, and art is an escape from reality for me so bringing that in isn't gonna make for a good time. xD

Clean Hunter

8,325 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Whispers of the Forsaken
User Image

Okay, so, I read some of it - not the whole thing because, holy good grief, that's a lot. Quite frankly, I don't need to.

So, I skimmed the rest.

The person has points, of course, but naturally this only applies to the anime artists who draw anime pictures that aren't proportionate, or have super pointy noses, stiff hair, etc. Or to artists who aren't looking to grow and get better.

I can't remember what the first thing I drew was. I just know that I've been drawing since before I was seven, at least, and my path naturally took me toward anime. My style is proportionate, and I draw my inspiration/techniques/etc from real life - such as shadows, clothing, proportions, emotions. I also do realistic portraits from photo references, so that is also part of the whole 'study real life first'.

Never once has anyone, in the many years that I have had my art showcased and purchased, accused me of not being a serious artist, or mocked me because I draw anime.

So there you have it. smile

Thank you for posting that for us.

Clean Hunter

8,325 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
x_Silver_Starlight_x
ShiniSnowDemon

User Image

Let me just say that clumping all parents together as 'unreliable sources' because of your mom isn't a very fair judgment. My mom personally is very supportive, VERY supportive, but she will always tell me how it is. If I look fat in something, she'll tell me. If there's something wrong with my art, she'll say so. "I don't really have an artist's eye, but something's up with that arm". Whatever it may be. Sometimes she can't even tell what it is, but she'll know that SOMEthing is wrong there.

So yes. Reliability is different from person to person.

Clean Hunter

8,325 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
NuMedia Millie
semen-eater
Why don't you just draw what appeals to you, and ******** the rest of the world. That's art. That's how you make art.

There is no right way to do art, or wrong way to do art. It's a way of expressing feelings, it's something every human does, it won't come out the same. They're not cutting corners, they're doing what they enjoy as an individual. You don't need to learn s**t to make art. All you need is emotion. Whether it's intricate portraits with perfect shading and color, or stick figures. It's art. It's amazing. It's perfection.
you are wrong. You can ask any full time artist and they will tell you that you are wrong. Why would they say you are wrong? Because this is not the way people make work. No one wants to make work this way. It's unappealing. There are two ways the word "good" is used in art. The first is the way a finished product is, the way it exists, is it "good". If it feels good and only good then its probably great. "Good" can then also apply to the way an artist goes about making images or objects. Do they employ effective, interesting and thusly "good" methods of making art.
Making art is more complex than an out pouring of emotion and raw sub-conscious feelings. It COULD be that but it is not because no one wants it to be because when you do that, it does not feel "good". Even though the out pouring might be honest, that is all it is, honest. It needs to be more than that. You need to edit and censor yourself to create something effective that communicates a concrete idea, even if that concrete idea is something abstract.
There are few works of art that I would describe as perfect and they are most certainly not works that were a product of a purely, uninhibited, cathartic release of energy and emotion.
The way you think art is made and what is required to make good art are incorrect by the standards of any artist worth their salt because artists who make good art and have earned the title as artist have said so.
User Image

If making art is 'more complex than an outpouring of emotion and raw sub-conscious feelings', then why do these 'art critics' classify abstract and paint-flicks on canvas as art? Paint flicks and paint drops on canvas are nothing BUT emotion. They're just someone throwing paint in different ways at the canvas. That stuff all looks messy as hell to me and I don't get it personally, it's not for me, and yet it is called art. And I frequently hear of art critics calling this type of art (abstract/messy paint/etc) as 'emotional'. 'You can really feel the anger'. etc.

Art really is, in its broadest definition, physical interpretation - in ANY form (singing, writing, visual art) - of emotion.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Krice
x_Silver_Starlight_x
ShiniSnowDemon

User Image

Let me just say that clumping all parents together as 'unreliable sources' because of your mom isn't a very fair judgment. My mom personally is very supportive, VERY supportive, but she will always tell me how it is. If I look fat in something, she'll tell me. If there's something wrong with my art, she'll say so. "I don't really have an artist's eye, but something's up with that arm". Whatever it may be. Sometimes she can't even tell what it is, but she'll know that SOMEthing is wrong there.

So yes. Reliability is different from person to person.

My mom was never afraid to say something was off, but at the same time, parents don't want to hurt their kid's feelings. My parents were happy I was doing something creative.
But I don't know where I said all parents are that way. I get that there's some that are good with crit and not patting their kid's egos, but most aren't.
So yeah, strangers are still more reliable in general.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff